Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2013, 14:33   #271
Team-BHP Support

Re: HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
...any WIP pictures, Rudra Sen ?
Unfortunately no. Whatever I had during that early part are here in this thread. Besides, I'm in Mumbai now for more than a year.
Also, I think we're at a stage where pasting new images with finished car would be better.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th April 2013 at 14:34.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 09:27   #272
BANNED

Rudra sir, Pl throw some inputs on modifications like color, tech etc for us to munch while waiting to see the Legend
Old 13th June 2013, 16:42   #273
BHPian

I've been following this thread even before I became a member. Good to hear that the work is nearing completion. Awaiting some pics of the final product.
Old 17th December 2013, 23:53   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Unfortunately no. Whatever I had during that early part are here in this thread. Besides, I'm in Mumbai now for more than a year.
Also, I think we're at a stage where pasting new images with finished car would be better.
Hello rudra sen ,

That's a fantastic write up
I have been seeing your passion for the Amby.
When can we see some completed pictures
Old 22nd December 2013, 18:03   #275
BHPian

My 1960 Ambassador, retrofitted with a 1760cc HM engine, a 3.54 rear end, wide wheels from Wheels India, and a floor shift HM gear box….run only 2200 Kms since rebuilt 5 years ago.

Quote:
Four decades of a deep strong relationship.
Sounds either abnormal or weird.
No logic can possibly come in the way of justifying my passion for this half a century old contraption. Affectionately called Ambassador.

Attached Thumbnails
HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-ambassador-1.jpg  

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-ambassador-2.jpg  

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-ambassador-3.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 22nd December 2013 at 19:33. Reason: Removing entire quote
shramik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 17:28   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
My 1960 Ambassador, retrofitted with a 1760cc HM engine, a 3.54 rear end, wide wheels from Wheels India, and a floor shift HM gear box….run only 2200 Kms since rebuilt 5 years ago.
Your Amby looks nice.What paint have you used?Is this a single colour or mixed ?
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:38   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
Your Amby looks nice.What paint have you used?Is this a single colour or mixed ?
Thank you. I think the color is a mix between some leftovers !!!!!!
Old 15th February 2014, 09:02   #278
BANNED

I have 1985 model Ambassador which was fitted with Isuzu B1 diesel engine and gearbox. Due to rust in body my mechanic told me to change entire body. So I purchased one 2001 Isuzu petrol Ambassador without engine and gearbox. Now my question is that, exiting setup there is single joint. Now the new body is having double joint. As per my knowledge double joint is better than single joint. But my mechanic is suggesting to go for single joint. So can any body please suggest me which one is best for me with reasons.

Thanks

S. Das
Old 25th May 2014, 06:51   #279
Senior - BHPian

It's end of the road for Ambassador

Ambassador
Now seven decades after the first Ambassador rolled out, Hindustan Motors has put the brakes on its Uttarpara, West Bengal factory.
Pankaj Doval, TNN | May 25, 2014, 04.40AM IST
NEW DELHI/KOLKATA: Since the then prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee opted for a sleek custom-made BMW in 2003, it's been steadily downhill for the grand old lady that had once ruled Indian roads. The common man had given up much earlier, eagerly embracing the zippier Maruti 800 when it was launched in 1983.

Now seven decades after the first Ambassador rolled out, Hindustan Motors has put the brakes on its Uttarpara, West Bengal factory. "The company's best efforts to revive the unit have failed. Given the circumstances, it has no alternative but to declare suspension of work at the plant with effect from May 24, 2014," a spokesperson from the CK Birla Group company said in a statement on Saturday.

Modelled on the British Morris Oxford III, the Ambassador commanded a lion's share of the fledgling Indian car market of the '70s and early '80s but lost its lead when companies like Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai and Ford came to India, relegating it to a mere 'sarkari' (government) vehicle. Sporting a red beacon, the vehicle had come to personify political and administrative status since its launch. Though it is still the official vehicle for some of the country's elite, including the Army chief and Congress president Sonia Gandhi, most politicians have moved on to safer and luxurious SUVs and sedans from the likes of Mercedes Benz, Audi and BMW.

the link:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/35577687.cms

Last edited by vinay kamath : 25th May 2014 at 07:04.
Old 1st June 2014, 10:49   #280
BHPian

Dear Rudra ,

Was reading today's TOI & a Car pic caught my attention on page no 15. Been following this thread silently, I knew where i saw this car . posting a online link for your pleasure

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h.../35871323.cms?

Same paper talks about One Anjan as well. I hope they are talking about our very Own Anjan Sir .Also posting PDF of same .

01_06_2014_015_720201fecf286d657776125469af2a23.pdf
.sushilkumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 12:08   #281
BHPian

To commemorate the final demise of HM, Uttarpara, here are pictures of my 1960, (unfortunately modified with the Mark 4 front…..) It has a BMC/HM 1760cc petrol engine (not the Isuzu) 4 speed original HM gear box, 3.54 differential, wide wheels from Wheels India, completely restored floor board upwards in 2008 September, run only 2600 Kms after that !!!! Car is covered day & night, sunned every Saturday & runs perhaps once or twice a month….No rust at all !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Dear Rudra ,

Was reading today's TOI & a Car pic caught my attention on page no 15. Been following this thread silently, I knew where i saw this car . posting a online link for your pleasure

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h.../35871323.cms?

Same paper talks about One Anjan as well. I hope they are talking about our very Own Anjan Sir .Also posting PDF of same .

Attachment 1245900
Attached Thumbnails
HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-ambassador-1.jpg  

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-ambassador-2.jpg  

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-ambassador-3.jpg  

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-ambassador-4.jpg  

shramik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 02:55   #282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any updates on the car Rudra sir? Hope its completed by now.

Was watching youtube videos of some good old 356 Porsche's in action, got reminded of the Ambassador (They dont make such curvy designs anymore, do they!) and of your car.
Old 18th January 2015, 06:45   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
To commemorate the final demise of HM, Uttarpara, here are pictures of my 1960,.... It has a BMC/HM 1760cc petrol engine (not the Isuzu) 4 speed original HM gear box,
1760cc engine means it would have been a later transplat, is it not, because 1760cc engine was introduced some time in the mid 70s.
Old 22nd January 2015, 07:24   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
1760cc engine means it would have been a later transplat, is it not, because 1760cc engine was introduced some time in the mid 70s.
Yes, very true. I had acquired used a 1760cc HM engine & ran it in my previous ambassador. A friend had also acquired a similar engine & he too ran it in his Ambassador. We canibalised 2 engines to make a good one & when this car was being re done, I decided to use the 1760cc instead of blueprinting a regular 1489cc engine.
shramik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2015, 11:55   #285
BHPian

Bumping up this thread. Any updates on your Amby Rudra sir ? We all are eagerly waiting to see the finished result.
Sabareesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks