Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 20:29   #121
Team-BHP Support

Rudraji, this thread needs to be updated asap.
Old 12th March 2009, 01:36   #122
BHPian

Rudra, yer Black Amby has made me an Amby lover. I have a strong feeling to get one soon. the only question I have is about the color. If i buy one in white can i change the color to Black or Grey?
Old 30th March 2009, 11:14   #123
Vicky_s_world

Hey can you plz gimme some info and specs on the contessa. Iam planning to buy one and restore! But dunno the details plz let me know.

Old 30th March 2009, 13:38   #124
Senior - BHPian

Hindustan Contessa Specifications

Engine Location Front
Drive Type Rear Wheel
Weight 1138 kg | 2509.3 lbs

Performance
Top Speed 140 km/h | 87 mph

Engine
Engine Configuration I
Cylinders 4
Aspiration/Induction Normal
Displacement 1817.00 cc | 110.9 cu in. | 1.8 L.
Valves 8 valves.
2 valves per cylinder.
Valvetrain OHV
Horsepower 75.00 BHP (55.2 KW) @ 5000.00 RPM
Torque 13.00 KG-M @ 3000.00 RPM
HP to Weight Ratio 33.5 LB / HP
HP / Liter 41.7 BHP / Liter
Compression Ratio 8.50:1

Transmission Information
Gears 5
Transmission Manual

Dimensions
Seating Capacity 4 + 1
Exterior
Length 179.901 in | 4569.5 mm.
Width 66.901 in | 1699.3 mm.
Height 54.101 in | 1374.2 mm.
Wheelbase 104.901 in | 2664.5 mm.
Front Track 55.901 in | 1419.9 mm.
Rear Track 55.101 in | 1399.6 mm.
Ground Clearance 6.301 in | 160 mm.

Steering

Rack and Pinion
Old 26th July 2009, 22:41   #125
BHPian

I own a 1963 Ambassador Mark II. This car was bought by my father when I was 4 and though it has changed hands, it has basically remained in the family. The car has now driven more than 5,00,000 miles. Originally registered KLE 3333, the car was re-registered in Bangalore by my brother-in-law and now has the number CAP 3161. For reasons of economy, by brother-in-law also replaced the original engine with a Matador 305 diesel. I still have the original engine, though. I recently drove the car down from Delhi to Bangalore and have now stripped it for tinkering, repainting, chroming and an upholstery job. The interior has been maintained according to the original specs and the instrumentation is also original. The car has its original colour, a strange looking brownish pink, which was named 'autumn russet' and was available only during 1963 & 64. It was manufactured by Spartan paints, and was dropped soon thereafter as it was not quite popular! Before he bought KLE 3333, my father owned a 1960 or 61 Mark I, which had the registration number KLE 1111. It was grey when bought. I saw the car in 1988 at the Trivandrum airport; it had been painted black by then. I haven't seen it since then. Would anybody from Kerala give me a lead on the car? I'd love to get in touch with its present owners and check if its still in original condition. I presume she has survived!
tonrag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2009, 08:58   #126
BHPian

Salute to the dedication you have for the car and effort you have put in. I have a 2 yr old safari which i hope i take for that long.. I would need to find the right mechanics and people though :-) However ppl like u r an inspiration.
Old 29th July 2009, 21:38   #127
BHPian

Driven. Today for the first time.
I'm no more a pansy. This is not a car. Its a beast. It commands respect to drive.
Its a Bull.

I drove a year 2000, 1800cc petrol/CNG without the power steering.

Its like godzilla in Delhi Traffic.

Sadly. Nothing in the car worked.

The a/c needs a tune-up, giving company to the CNG kit.

Brakes are shot.

The clutch. Oh dear. The clutch.

Mard ko dard nahi hota? Gimme a break (and an aspirin). My calf is still sore and aching, a good 3 hours later.

But This is a Lovestory and I just lost my ambynity. The Adrenaline is still flowing. I wasn't driving. I was on the prowl!

Grrrr...

The taste of blood...
Old 29th July 2009, 21:47   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post
Driven. Today for the first time.
I'm no more a pansy. This is not a car. Its a beast. It commands respect to drive.
Its a Bull.

I drove a year 2000, 1800cc petrol/CNG without the power steering.

Its like godzilla in Delhi Traffic.

Sadly. Nothing in the car worked.

The a/c needs a tune-up, giving company to the CNG kit.

Brakes are shot.

The clutch. Oh dear. The clutch.

Mard ko dard nahi hota? Gimme a break (and an aspirin). My calf is still sore and aching, a good 3 hours later.

But This is a Lovestory and I just lost my ambynity. The Adrenaline is still flowing. I wasn't driving. I was on the prowl!

Grrrr...

The taste of blood...
YEs it is a GODZILLA and commands respect.
We had it for around 12-13 years and sold it in 2000, If i remember correctly it was a 1982 model.
But the feeling which you get driving an Amby is unique. You gotta drive it to feel it

Also i loved its color blue and number 144 - total 9 which is lucky for us.
Yes,i miss it. :(
Old 4th August 2009, 16:54   #129
BHPian

Driving an older Amby without power steering is actually not that difficult, once you get the hang of it. The car has a large steering wheel and has probably 4 1/2 turns of it from lock to lock. Parking is a devil though! The max distance that I've driven in a day in an Amby was from Bijapur to Indore, 870 kms, in 22 hours, with wife and infant son! Would not recommend this for the sane.
Old 20th September 2009, 12:48   #130

Dear Mr. Sen - Is this the same amby which i saw many a times in TNR Chambers Church Street ? It's a masterpiece ! One need patience to keep up an old amby . It looks amazing.
Old 20th September 2009, 13:38   #131
Senior - BHPian

rudraji, please post some more pics soon and update the thread soon!

I must say your amby looks extremely cool with the apple sticker!

PS: the pics of your amby on the first page made my dad's day. thanks
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:35   #132
BHPian

When will HM finally wake up and produce an updated model of Ambassador, or hell no a brand new model.
What is happening with these guys. They seem to be in a long and deep slumber. May be they are short of ideas or they don't have confidence of launching a new car.
I think we should all help them; at least send them some design sketches of a succesorto Amby. BHPians can take the leadership in this and continue to give them inspiration till they decide to wake up. It's so frustrating.
Old 9th January 2010, 17:36   #133
BHPian

I have a 1959 Ambassador myself, with the 1760cc engine (which HM they offered for some time). The rear diff is an HM with a 3.84 ratio, and the original 4 speed HM gearbox. The gear shift is nor relegated to the floor, as very few people can set up a coulmn shift properly !! I am looking for the original Mark 1 grille & side light units, please let me know if anyone has access to these !
Old 5th February 2010, 15:53   #134
BHPian

Inspiring HM for a new Amby
As an automotive designer, I was inspired by the chutzpah of the 2005 award winning Holden Efigy hot rod concept (http://www.carbodydesign.com/concept-cars/2005/10-15-holden-efijy-concept/holden-efijy-concept.php
which is Holden's skunk work's take on the original iconic 1953 FJ Holden).

Giving vent to my passion for designing cars I quit my comfy software job and completed my MA in automotive design from Coventry, which was an adventure by itself, surmounting odds financial and nay sayers that dissuaded me at every step.

My passion for updating the Amby started in my first masters project which was an aerodynamic analysis of a styling proposal of updating the Ambassador to a contemporary design in 2004.

Now I actually am working on a styling proposal from 2 angles for the Amby - 1 is to work on the existing Amby body to give it an understated upmarket look and upgrade the mechanicals with a better suspension and brakes, engine and gearbox if possible. I am also working on a proposal to give it a new retro inspired interior using part custom panels for the dashboard and equipment from the parts bin of various vehicles available in India currently.

The other option is to use a donor car like say a Sonata, the older Accord or the older C class and re-work the front and rear panels using the Ambassador as the inspiration.

I have a gentleman who has made an offer to fund this custom job vehicle and am in the process of locating a suitable workshop with people who have a passion for the Amby.

The thought did cross my mind that I know a well connected person who indicated that he might put me in touch with someone from Hindustan Motors. I hope to pursue this along with the custom building exercise. Who knows the Amby might be revived yet again with a new look on modern mechanicals. If we have the talent in our country for it, there is no reason we cannot do it now theoretically. Am curious to see what HM has to say to this idea.

In this thread I see many people who are passionately involved with the Ambassador and more importantly have practical experience of customising and maintaining such vehicles. I shall start getting in touch with them one by one starting with Rudra.

Even emotions aside, this idea appeals not just to the heart but also the head. It makes immense business sense for HM to explore the possibility of leveraging the Amby’s iconic status in India to see a modern retro model inspired by the Ambassador...

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th February 2010 at 16:23. Reason: Removed color & Font tags, please avoid copy pasting from external editors like MS Word etc, thanks
Old 5th February 2010, 20:12   #135
BHPian

just saw ur 1st snap ... KA registration on a 30 year old car ??? think it was introduced after the 90s right ?

Most Viewed