Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2011, 14:08   #151
Team-BHP Support

re: HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.

Two months of hibernation started.. I expect to see her back on the road after that.

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-outside.jpg

Workshop looks nice and efficient. This workshop guy is apparently stickler for details and I like him already. He's forte is restoring old cars.. Mine somehow fits in here. He also has done a great job on Jaggu's Dwarf. Currently Jaggu's jeep is going through last bit of work. You can see a 1/4th done vintage here.. My guess it's a Citroen Traction Avant. Karl and more knowledgeable people can correct my mistake here.

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-workshop.jpg

Car feels at home sitting behind Jaggu's Dwarf.

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-workshop1.jpg

Workshop is far away from my place and I won't be able to check progress every now and then. I'll try to update progression as we go along. Jaggu's also here to pitch in.
Old 28th March 2011, 21:24   #152
Team-BHP Support

Re: HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.

Ahh i thought it was going to be a surprise for all. Anyways we gave the vehicle on saturday with a long list of things. Am the official translator for this job Gopal is also excited, coz he likes to work with owners who are passionate about their cars, especially the oldie cars that have a story or two to tell.

Gopal wants to go all woriginal and Rudy want to keep it a retro-contemporary, coz he wants to make the amby his daily drive. Hope i don't go bonkers translating
Old 31st March 2011, 14:08   #153
BHPian

I wasn't a fan of ambassadors till I saw this thread a couple of years ago and now I have to say I am a big fan of both this specific car and other well maintained ambys as well. Am eagerly waiting for the updates from the restoration am sure a lot of others are as well.
Please do post the list of items planned to be done.
Old 31st March 2011, 15:34   #154
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see the Amby getting pampered again.

I literally cried when we had to sell our black Amby - when ever I go to my home town, I still go and see the workshop guy who used to take care of her, and asks about her current condition ( The car is still in the same town, thou I do not see her often).

One day, I want to make enough money to buy her back, restore her and keep her in pristine condition. I have put my time, sweat, money and what not to make her what she was, and it still pains me when I think that KBE 639 is not with us, but with some other guy - I hope he is taking care of her as we were taking care of her. Enough ranting - back to the post.

This is undoubtedly one of the most beautifully practical Ambys I have seen, and I am glued to this thread to see her after all the pampering.
Old 31st March 2011, 20:27   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Glad to see the Amby getting pampered again.
Actually this is not pampering but making it in top shape.
Yes, I agree that I've ignored this for a long time. There's a reason behind it too.
Seldom we see a knowledgeable mechanic these days who knows carb engines.
As I mentioned before, awakening came after seeing Jaggu's jeep with Gopal's (I wonder why all hindu mechanics have a set common name) touch.

After 19 years now, I need to do a proper job. Also as I didn't have any point of reference then, few things were done wrong.
Main was engine sitting height. It's currently sitting at least (if not more) 6 inches below the normal height.
CG must be better than a regular Amby but suddenly if I hit a road hump, only god can help me.
This is despite wearing 15 inches (when this thread started, car was wearing 13 inches) wheel.

This car has to run regularly now. And to do that I need to go all out this time.
Do not ask me about the expenses because I have no idea at this point in time. I'll see and let you know as we roll.

Job list

1. Engine to come to the right height.
2. Entire transmission line (engine>gearbox>prop shaft half joint>differential) alignment. I believe it's not correct now.
3. Total new electrical wiring
4. New headlamp units. I'll take a call on the bulb later.
5. Complete new power steering unit from HM (already ordered).
6. New front/rear windshield from HM (already ordered).
7. New meter cluster (already ordered).
8. New gear shifter assembly (already ordered).
9. New audio console from Amby Grand.
10. Front grill to have matte black slats. Throwing the current one.
11. Front/rear bumpers to tap/change and copper/chromium plating.
12. Front seats to change. New one with height adjustable and better lumber support.
13. Upholstery. Not leather, but I need to figure this out.
14. Complete new door channels and window glass lifting mechanism.
15. Paint job. Black of course.
16. AC overall.

Update will happen from me and Jaggu as and when we get time to visit the garage. It's pretty far from my place.

Follow this thread. I promise you guys.. It'll be a proper reincarnation.
Old 2nd April 2011, 21:31   #156
Team-BHP Support

Work in progress..

GOD!!!! My car never got under so much of dust in life!!

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-.jpg

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-a1.jpg

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-a2.jpg

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-a3.jpg

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-a4.jpg

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-a5.jpg

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-a6.jpg

HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress.-door.jpg
Old 3rd April 2011, 20:56   #157
BHPian

Rudra Sir, yes, the engine is sitting lower than normal, may be 2-4 inches, from what I can make out from the pick.

Regarding the door, if it's the left passenger side rear door, then it's always a bit out compared to other door, one can notice that even on Brand New Amby's coming out of the plant, I guess the dyes are to be blamed here, and this is especially with the left hand side back door, please observe a lot of Amby's before you get this job done.

I also like the new Fiber Bumper, but know this is an area where people have mixed opinions, and I think even HM has gone back to Steel Bumper, as the Taxi wala's in Kolkata found the Fiber bumper expensive to replace and Taxi's in Kolkata bump into each other or other cars all the time. I personelly like the Fiber Bumpers, it make the car look much better in my view and in Black colour would look even better.

You may also wish to go a little Retro and go in for the Avigo Dash board, it looks fantastic at night, with that Big Speedometer in the center and the ODO is digital too.

Regarding seats, it you can manage to get the Leather seats from HM, they are good, they feel great and looks cool too.

P.S....I like the Number Plate job at the rear end.

I'm sure you are aware I drive an Amby Avigo daily and have covered 26k Km's in about 3 yrs, and I love my Car to the core.

Last edited by musicmanaman : 3rd April 2011 at 20:58.
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:51   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Rudra Sir, yes, the engine is sitting lower than normal, may be 2-4 inches, from what I can make out from the pick.
Yes, and this has been corrected.
Quote:
please observe a lot of Amby's before you get this job done.
I've seen. In fact seen a little too much. For decades.
Quote:
You may also wish to go a little Retro and go in for the Avigo Dash board, it looks fantastic at night, with that Big Speedometer in the center and the ODO is digital too.
Could you please let me know what's the cost in Kolkata? I'm talking only about meters housing part.
Quote:
Regarding seats, it you can manage to get the Leather seats from HM, they are good, they feel great and looks cool too.
This I haven't taken a call as yet. But I do have some thoughts in mind.
Quote:
P.S....I like the Number Plate job at the rear end.
And it stays.. No change there.
Quote:
I'm sure you are aware I drive an Amby Avigo daily and have covered 26k Km's in about 3 yrs, and I love my Car to the core.
Yes I know and also know about your engine heating issue with AC on.. Did you solve that problem?
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:19   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post

[b]1. Engine to come to the right height.
2. Entire transmission line (engine>gearbox>prop shaft half joint>differential) alignment. I believe it's not correct now.
In other words, you are tilting the engine side up and the rear end of the gearbox down..this will affect the angle of the drivshaft.

Why dont you use the OEM Avigo mounts that are designed for the Isuzu 1.8. That way you know the rear shaft angle will be correct.
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:23   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Why dont you use the OEM Avigo mounts that are designed for the Isuzu 1.8. That way you know the rear shaft angle will be correct.
that's exactly what we're doing now.
Remember, Avigo wasn't there when I did this first time.

Well, power steering cost (shock!!!) came today and
placed order too. 62k for so called total components.
Cost includes steering box complete/pump(12k for this itself!)/collapsible
Steering column and steering.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th January 2015 at 17:48.
Old 4th April 2011, 12:13   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Mr.Rudra Sen - it is indeed nice to see that you are progressing work on your Ambassador properly. Only three things:

1. Please maintain the original drive train line of reference. I don't know how you will get it. A good workshop manual should be able to guide you otherwise as a rule of thumb, the north / south angle in a passenger car must be 2.5 degrees. A good Japanese Mitutoyo Bevel Protractor with a bubble guage is a worthy investment for such work. The design FMEA (failure mode effect analysis) requires that you tilt the power plant very slightly about the Z (vertical) axis as well. The idea is to make the adjacent needles in the needle bearings of the propeller shaft crosses overlap each others' position during running, minimizing wear and vibrations. In the 118NE, there is a very small Z axis tilt specified in the original FIAT 124 drawing. I take it that the eight numbers of original transmission cross member mounting points are undisturbed.

2. The power steering / collapsible steering column are easier said than done, power steering requires change in king pin inclination angle. Collapsible steering column will not work in the Ambassador as the instrument panel is not designed for this application. There are lots of skeletons which come out during work on collapsible steering column, so please be extra careful.

3. The integrity of the workshop to be able to understand and execute manufacture and adaptation of prototype parts. For this, becomes necessary for us to get involved in and control the manufacturing processes for the prototype. In your case, it is only one car so it is OK, but it is better to be doubly sure. Going by the photographs, the choice of workshop seems good.

In the end, the car must deliver the desired result in performance. I have restored 4 fiats (all mine), so I know that it can become a big headache dealing with garages, especially when you want things done exactly the way you want it. The Ambassador is one of my favourite cars, yours especially looks gorgeous! Please post some photographs of the new parts so that I can give further detailed comments. And please keep it black only!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2011, 13:29   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Mr.Rudra Sen - it is indeed nice to see that you are progressing work on your Ambassador properly.
Sir, thanks a lot for taking your time to go through these posts.
Off topic: We met for a short while after Avalaconda OTR in the evening. This was when you were answering questions standing next to that demo THAR..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM
1. Please maintain the original drive train line of reference. I don't know how you will get it.
Sir, it’ll be maintained. If you ask me how at this point in time, I’ve no solution in hand.
Quote:
A good workshop manual should be able to guide you otherwise as a rule of thumb, the north / south angle in a passenger car must be 2.5 degrees.
Sir, I’ll try to locate a workshop manual. But going by this particular mechanic, I don’t think it’s a must. He has done enough and his forte is restoration. That of course doesn’t mean that he’s a top guy and knows all these minute details.
Quote:
A good Japanese Mitutoyo Bevel Protractor with a bubble guage is a worthy investment for such work.
He has this and I’ve seen that.
Quote:
The design FMEA (failure mode effect analysis) requires that you tilt the power plant very slightly about the Z (vertical) axis as well. The idea is to make the adjacent needles in the needle bearings of the propeller shaft crosses overlap each others' position during running, minimizing wear and vibrations. In the 118NE, there is a very small Z axis tilt specified in the original FIAT 124 drawing. I take it that the eight numbers of original transmission cross member mounting points are undisturbed.
This at this point is pretty Greek to me Sir. However, I’ll try to get in touch with the contacts I have here and there. Also to remember that there was not much of a difference (physical) between FIAT 124 and 118NE.
It’s a different picture when it comes to fit a power steering on original 1954 morris oxford design. We’ll handle it Sir. I’ve done worse before and there’s learning in every step we take.
Quote:
2. The power steering / collapsible steering column are easier said than done, power steering requires change in king pin inclination angle. Collapsible steering column will not work in the Ambassador as the instrument panel is not designed for this application.
Sir, this steering unit is coming from HM as complete kit. When I say collapsible, it means in the event of a frontal impact, steering won’t come and hit me straight. Because of the joint in between the column and fulcrum mount on the top.. it should go up.
Not 100% full proof though, I agree. Similar setup can be achieved by using a GYPSY steering column. It’s been done and I’ve seen it too.
Quote:
There are lots of skeletons which come out during work on collapsible steering column, so please be extra careful.
Again agree and how! Sir I’ve been through this nightmare for decades and nothing scares me any more.
Quote:
3. The integrity of the workshop to be able to understand and execute manufacture and adaptation of prototype parts. For this, becomes necessary for us to get involved in and control the manufacturing processes for the prototype. In your case, it is only one car so it is OK, but it is better to be doubly sure. Going by the photographs, the choice of workshop seems good.
Sir, I vouch for this comment. In my case it’s not only a car but the mechanic himself. I’m yet to come across an elderly mechanic who’s is so passionate about his job a classical song. This combination tells me a lot about his ability.
Jaggu here can elaborate more I suppose.
Quote:
In the end, the car must deliver the desired result in performance. I have restored 4 fiats (all mine), so I know that it can become a big headache dealing with garages, especially when you want things done exactly the way you want it.
Yes Sir, I’ll keep it in mind.
Quote:
The Ambassador is one of my favourite cars, yours especially looks gorgeous! Please post some photographs of the new parts so that I can give further detailed comments. And please keep it black only!
Sir, pics will be posted as we go along. Thanks a lot for your comment about my darling. I’m honored.

And for the paint’s shade? I strictly follow Henry Ford’s comment.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2011, 17:13   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rudra - thanks for your reply. Can I make a small request? Please don't call me "Sir" anymore and I will call you just "Rudra", OK? Whenever anyone calls me "Sir", it makes me feel "buddha" (means "old" in Gujarati which is my mother tongue), which I am certainly not! I am "only 23" years old.

I WANT YOUR AMBASSADOR TO BE THE BEST IN INDIA. NO COMPROMISE.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2011, 17:51   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Please don't call me "Sir" anymore and I will call you just "Rudra", OK?
Perfect.
Quote:
Whenever anyone calls me "Sir", it makes me feel "buddha" (means "old" in Gujarati which is my mother tongue), which I am certainly not! I am "only 23" years old.
And people call me uncle and I'm only 20 years old.
Quote:
I WANT YOUR AMBASSADOR TO BE THE BEST IN INDIA. NO COMPROMISE.
I'll try my best. It'll be a head turner for sure.. I promise.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2011, 20:03   #165
Team-BHP Support

The whole mountings, engine and gearbox side were custom built by Rudras old mech. Lot of things were not right according to Gopal and now OE spec is going in. This should sort out the propeller angle issue also.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks