Team-BHP - Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold ! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/36980-tata-safari-2-2l-1-5-lakh-kms-reclaiming-continues-without-extended-warranty-update-now-sold-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 774079)
I want to know the right practice regarding this.

The manual for the 3 litre does mention this, not sure about the 2.2, have you checked your manual?

Here's what i follow:

First start in the morning: wait for 30sec before engaging 1st gear and driving. This is also advisable for COLD starts i.e. the engine has sufficiently cooled down to ambient room temperature.

Stopping anytime: 30sec to let the turbo reach idling speed, and then switch off.

Quote:

Here's a discussion....
Halfbakery: Turbo Saver

Here's some electronics:
Browser Warning

never mind the "browser warning" above; im using Opera...:-)
Cheers

As per the 2.2l manual you are already following it i.e. 30 sec idle before start/stop

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 774091)
The manual for the 3 litre does mention this, not sure about the 2.2, have you checked your manual?

Suman, manual asks one to follow the 30sec rule. The longest 30seconds one has to wait!

Quote:

Originally Posted by smsrini (Post 774151)
Here's what i follow:

First start in the morning: wait for 30sec before engaging 1st gear and driving. This is also advisable for COLD starts i.e. the engine has sufficiently cooled down to ambient room temperature.

Stopping anytime: 30sec to let the turbo reach idling speed, and then switch off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 774216)
As per the 2.2l manual you are already following it i.e. 30 sec idle before start/stop

I am following these.

Bit OT, the same rule goes for all diesels? DDIs and all?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmdas (Post 774169)
Here's a discussion....
Halfbakery: Turbo Saver

Here's some electronics:
Browser Warning

never mind the "browser warning" above; im using Opera...:-)
Cheers

Thanks for the links.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 773560)
1) A sound like bird chirping from either left door or boot gate when you drive through very bad road. Should be a beading issue I guess.

1) I had a similar issue at the 30K service. In the boot area, near the roof, you will find some plastic cladding. In my truck, the clips inside the cladding have worked loose and I get the same chirping noise. The part has been ordered and will be replaced under warranty once received.

The 1/2 minute principle is to enable the floating bearings on the Turbo to be lubricated well so that the Turbo bearings are well lubricated.

The manual is quite descriptive on this subject.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 (Post 774749)
1) I had a similar issue at the 30K service. In the boot area, near the roof, you will find some plastic cladding. In my truck, the clips inside the cladding have worked loose and I get the same chirping noise. The part has been ordered and will be replaced under warranty once received.

Will check this. Seems this is an old issue as Steer too had this issue sometiem back.

Quote:

Odo @ almost 1400 and hence I booked for 1st Free Service for tomorrow.

3) The problem with engaging 1st and reverse when the Safari is cold, ie,in the morning or after long parking gaps of 3-4 hours.

Now is this ok or an issue?

When you depress the clutch fully when the Safari is idling, the engine noise is lesser, ie, engine sounds more refined when doing so.

Can someone explain these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingshukt (Post 774950)
The 1/2 minute principle is to enable the floating bearings on the Turbo to be lubricated well so that the Turbo bearings are well lubricated.

The manual is quite descriptive on this subject.

I need to read through tech links regarding turbo ! Time to as colleagues wonder why I do this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 774970)
Can someone explain these.

OK, here you go - the ones I can.......

Quote:

1) A sound like bird chirping from either left door or boot gate when you drive through very bad road. Should be a beading issue I guess.

Have you checked the knob below the rear seat (the one that you turn to fold the seats forward)?

The 2.2 has pretty good insulation & beading on the doors & tailgate so it shouldn't be the beading....I could be wrong though

Quote:

2) Child lock for rear left door goes back to "lock" position now and then when you close door as its a bit loose.

If it keeps slipping & is very loose, ask them to replace. Your mantra should always be "replace" at the first signs of a niggle:D

Quote:

3) The problem with engaging 1st and reverse when the Safari is cold, ie,in the morning or after long parking gaps of 3-4 hours.

I had noticed the same problem recently with the 1st gear, not with reverse, would go away on warming up. Complained at the 30k service, not sure what they did but its gone.....

Quote:

When you depress the clutch fully when the Safari is idling, the engine noise is lesser, ie, engine sounds more refined when doing so.

I think this is normal & noticeable in most diesels but is it such an appreciable difference? If so, ask them to check it out

hey JK

"The problem with engaging 1st and reverse when the Safari is cold, ie,in the morning or after long parking gaps of 3-4 hours."

this shouldnt be there in a new vehicle as i have seen this problem normally

1. after change in gear oil
2. some people dont depress the clutch fully and safari's clutch throw is long.
3. in cold starts obviously there is some resistance,but it shouldnt be much and everyone must have felt this.

What i would suggest that you try these 2 things

1. try fully depress the clutch and try engaging the 1st gear

2. try to engaging the 2nd gear and then try to move to ist

even if you dont feel situation improving please visit TASS

EDIT : Oops just saw Suman's post.

I too face this problem with the first and reverse gear. Such a wonderful vehicle otherwise. I wonder why TATA cant sort the gear issue. The through is too long and one wishes his hands were 1 feet longer. The level of comfort is missing when one engages the 1st gear.

Beast back from 1st Free service. Paid nothing.

The issue with child lock and the chirpy sound was sorted out. :)

The Safari also got under body coating and a wax coat. Also got light tints done. All these were free from Kulathungal Motors.:)

Yet to find System D and hence didnt fill up full tank.

Bought carpets from rexin shop! Felt it would do the job well in rainy and dry season. Will post pix of these later. Had to buy 3 meters x 2 feet in total.

Sankar test drove the Safari. Hope he finds time to post experience about it.

Some pix of interiors.

1) My throne!

2) Most comfortable seats under 10lac!

3) Shiny Shiny!

4) Elephant ear!

How's the music system and the sound quality through the speakers (I guess included)?

JK, why do you still have the plastic on the head rests?! Get rid of them, whatever be your reasons for keeping them on. :)