Team-BHP - Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold ! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/36980-tata-safari-2-2l-1-5-lakh-kms-reclaiming-continues-without-extended-warranty-update-now-sold-19.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks (Post 806870)
Why this irrational hatred for such a fine car? And why this impotent rage?

perhaps all santros cutting in right and left without caring about other road users is the cause of this rage, the car may be, well alright, taken for granted is mighty fine, that doesn't mean others' lives could be endangered please.

Quote:

Now, what do I do with my Swift? :Frustrati
Oh my god! Did you buy a Swift? Without driving a Santro at 174kmh and taking corners with stock size tires on 5J alloys? Man! If you would've done so, you would never ever think of a Swift or any other car in your whole life. Now, I feel sorry for you buddy!

@Jaggu. Good point there. Never thought of it while making that my signature.

@Jk. Better discuss with the mods on your truck. Some people will never grow up, look at me.

@RKS. Buddy! It's not that we hate some cars or not. But sometimes it is too funny to hear things like stock tire sizes and handling together, 5J rims being wider and offering best traction, Santro being the finest car etc.. Pl try and understand that this is an automotive forum and we all are here to share one passion. There maybe a few disagreements but let it not eat into our passions and emotions. :)

Where are the Alloys for Jk's Safari?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulu (Post 804021)
Thanks guys! shall post u all some snaps pretty soon. as far as the FE is concerned, have been getting a steady 13.5-14 which is a mix of city and highway driving. The beast is being fed a diet of Xtramile!

Got 16.7 on Xtramile - hard to normal driving, mostly highway with AC at 2 mark. This is the best I have got so far and first time trying out Xtramile. The smoothness is back which for me was lacking on the normal diesel - tried it for once last refill.

Xtramile is what seems the best in premium fuel for 2.2.

Otherwise mostly find that people are satisfied with normal diesel and STP/System D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak (Post 807034)
@RKS. Buddy! It's not that we hate some cars or not. But sometimes it is too funny to hear things like stock tire sizes and handling together, 5J rims being wider and offering best traction, Santro being the finest car etc

Look at the following website:

Dunlop Tires | Care & Maintenance | Rim width and aspect ratio

Quote:

Wider rims may offer some performance advantages over narrow rims. A wider rim increases the distance between the beads, which results in a straighter sidewall, which stiffens it. This results in quicker steering response and higher cornering forces.

Negatively, the straightened sidewall transmits more road shock to the wheel and suspension, placing greater stress on chassis and suspension parts and delivering a harsher ride. The straighter sidewall exposes the rim, making the wheel more susceptible to damage.

A narrower rim pulls the beads closer together, curving the sidewalls. This increased curvature allows the sidewall to flex more readily over bumps and absorb more road shock during driving. This offers a softer ride.
Obviously a straighter sidewall means that my tyres are stretched wider. Certainly my tyres look much wider than those on stock wheels.

I hope you now understand that I get adequate grip and great handling with wider rims on stock-size tyres. Actually I am using the maximum-allowed rim width for my tyre size. For more powerful cars, you may need wider tyres as well to get adequate grip, depending on your driving style.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks (Post 806870)
And it has been repeatedly documented in this forum by yourself that you are a Hyundai-hater.

actually zak is also a FIAT hater.check the palio MJD thread

Quote:

Oh my god! Did you buy a Swift? Without driving a Santro at 174kmh and taking corners with stock size tires on 5J alloys? Man! If you would've done so, you would never ever think of a Swift or any other car in your whole life. Now, I feel sorry for you buddy!

and in this post he is a maruti hater

I hate zak!:uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfather (Post 806814)
Now I end up driving my wife's santro

To quote JK.. That is also a deadly combination :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by adc (Post 807098)
Got 16.7 on Xtramile - hard to normal driving, .

It seems that that I am the only one getting FE in the 10-15 bracket. I think I will have to come down to Kolkata to take driving lessons.
This way I can meet up on my relatives alsoclap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks (Post 807126)
I hope you now understand that I get adequate grip and great handling with wider rims on stock-size tyres. Actually I am using the maximum-allowed rim width for my tyre size. For more powerful cars, you may need wider tyres as well to get adequate grip, depending on your driving style.

C'on rks. Dont you feel that we are going bit OT here? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rippergeo (Post 807168)
actually zak is also a FIAT hater.check the palio MJD thread

and in this post he is a maruti hater

I hate zak!:uncontrol

I second that. I dont need to say that he is a Scorpio hater too.:D.

@JK: whats happening on your tyre & wheel upgrade? Why dont you check out the Bilsteins too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks (Post 806809)
Pay a *lot* of attention to your tyres/wheels (alignment/balancing). Tyre pressures to be set *accurately* and when tyres are cold; for better high-speed performance and tyre life, overinflate tyres (by upto ~5 psi) if your roads are good enough. Your steel rims should be in good condition with no bends. I personally recommend that you go for high-quality stock-size tubeless tyres and if you can afford it, 5J alloys (with correct specs). This combination will give you great handling, at the cost of some ride comfort, and you will soon lose your squeamishness about cornering. Although for better suspension/steering/tyre life as well as safety, it is better that you don't corner too hard.

rks, thanks - but I believe its all about the level of confidence you have in your vehicle and how well you are able to assess the car's grip and maneuvrability.

Back to Safaris,....

I had been to Kerala for 3-4 of days last week ( mostly in and around calicut, and a road trip to cochin airport ) , and I was intrigued by the fact that there were not many safaris on the road. In fact very few! especially north of Trichur. I saw only two or three safaris ( and not a single 2.2 ) in two full days in Calicut. However, I could catch a few at Trichur and on the highway to Ernakulam. It was all Taveras and Innovas! Most Taveras were taxis, and Innovas were private vehicles. I had been using a rented Tavera for a couple of days and the driver tells me that Taveras are big in Kerala - at least as taxis. "People nowadays want Taveras for long trips even if its just for two or three persons - and in the summer vacations, there is a big demand for Taveras for the mandatory trip to the hill stations"

Jkdas, Steeroid and other mallu safari owners - are you folks an aberration in Kerala, or is there better Safari ownership in South Kerala? Large families show a clear preference to Innovas. Is it because Kerala roads really dont need powerful vehicles ( for most part of Kerala driving 80-90 Kph should be good enough, I feel )? or is it because the average (rich) Malayali is too focused on resale, brand, etc?

By the way, you see a lot of Safaris - and many 2.2s in Hyderabad. Most of them ( mostly white 3 ltrs ) belong to Politicos and I could see a number of 2.2 ltrs driven by young folks as well. There are some awesome black beasts in the city as well.

Just wanted to comment on what I saw in Kerala. Sorry for going OT again..

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingshukt (Post 807180)
It seems that that I am the only one getting FE in the 10-15 bracket. I think I will have to come down to Kolkata to take driving lessons.

Wasn't I suprised, but the way the needle was moving it was pointing to some good FE - more so this was driving at 100-140 kph with full AC on. Have filled up Xtramile premium again to cross check those figures and to really convice me totally.

Anyway anything around 12-13 on highway is much appreciated for this 2 tonner.

Whatever be it premium fuels it is for me as the engine is super smooth, felt some roughness the last and only time with regular diesel.

Quote:

This way I can meet up on my relatives also

Now thats more like it, plan the drive.

BTW, is it possible to do some recording of supposedly "krrr" noise that some of us are hearing - I really dont have a fix on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkdelhi (Post 806948)
Hey, come'n guys! Break it off!

Now, what do I do with my Swift? :Frustrati

Petrol? Highway then!

Quote:

@Jk. Better discuss with the mods on your truck. Some people will never grow up, look at me.

Where are the Alloys for Jk's Safari?

Alloys with nikkibike. I may collect it this saturday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adc (Post 807098)
Got 16.7 on Xtramile - hard to normal driving, mostly highway with AC at 2 mark. This is the best I have got so far and first time trying out Xtramile. The smoothness is back which for me was lacking on the normal diesel - tried it for once last refill.

Xtramile is what seems the best in premium fuel for 2.2.

Otherwise mostly find that people are satisfied with normal diesel and STP/System D.

Thats great. Mine's always between 11-12kmpl, highway or city with AC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks (Post 807126)
Look at the following website:

Dunlop Tires | Care & Maintenance | Rim width and aspect ratio

Obviously a straighter sidewall means that my tyres are stretched wider. Certainly my tyres look much wider than those on stock wheels.

Thanks for this rks.
I was wondering how 255 will do in the OE alloys. Or is it a must that I have to get wider alloys?

Quote:

This way I can meet up on my relatives alsoclap:

I would love to join, BUT, as I have already told, I still drive it like a Xing. My speedo always is at 80kmph whenever I can and hence I cant complain about the FE part. I sure would love to get 14-15kmpl, and maybe I should quit zipping past for a while and check FE.

Will be refueling tomorrow. Using System-D from last fill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mansidea (Post 807253)
C'on rks. Dont you feel that we are going bit OT here? :)

I second that. I dont need to say that he is a Scorpio hater too.:D.

@JK: whats happening on your tyre & wheel upgrade? Why dont you check out the Bilsteins too?

Bilsteins! $$$ illa!
v1p3r has to courier the Falkens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigzero (Post 807350)
rks, thanks - but I believe its all about the level of confidence you have in your vehicle and how well you are able to assess the car's grip and maneuvrability.

Back to Safaris,....

Just wanted to comment on what I saw in Kerala. Sorry for going OT again..

2.2L is catching up. Innova and Tavera carries 7 in a better way coz of the front facing seat pattern. Also, Innova and Tavera has lot of promo and people buy them for personal cum taxi use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adc (Post 807440)
Have filled up Xtramile premium again to cross check those figures and to really convice me totally.

Do keep in us in the know about the FE with the next fill...

Now thats more like it, plan the drive.

BTW, is it possible to do some recording of supposedly "krrr" noise that some of us are hearing - I really dont have a fix on that.

Hey, I do allow my heart to rule my head (once in a while - eg: the Safari Purchase:)), but driving 2100 Km- one way-and that too single handedly (I do not allow others to drive my vehicle.. do not allow valet parking either - seen too many Amercian movies where the hero drives away with a vehicle that is been given for valet parking) with a wife and a kid in tow, is something that I cannot dare to at this moment of time.

EDIT: Recording the "Krrr..." noise is a good idea. I do not have good recording equipement(s) so can I will try to record it on my mobile. Hope the mobile file format is compatible with Windows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 807496)
Thats great. Mine's always between 11-12kmpl, highway or city with AC.

That is what I used to get on premium fuels all along but not with Xtramile premium,as the IOC pump is at some distance from my house. The 16.7 figure [that too with speeds between 80-120, with some portion at 120-140] though I am pretty sure of, will confirm again and as such have filled up with Xtramile this time too. But for sure Xtramile does make a difference, have read other owners getting more than average FE with IOC Xtramile premium.

As said, the last time was the only time normal diesel was filled up and it gave 10.5

JK any take on the "krrr" noise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingshukt (Post 807547)
Hey, I do allow my heart to rule my head (once in a while - eg: the Safari Purchase), but driving 2100 Km- one way-and that too single handedly (I do not allow others to drive my vehicle.. do not allow valet parking either - seen too many Amercian movies where the hero drives away with a vehicle that is been given for valet parking) with a wife and a kid in tow, is something that I cannot dare to at this moment of time.

But one day or the other sure you will do it, thats for sure.:D

Quote:

EDIT: Recording the "Krrr..." noise is a good idea.
Yes that would really help to clear things up, all of us who are having the noise can attempt a recording.

rks, i guess we can leave out the Santro from this thread. its getting way too OT.

In Kerala, there's not much of Safari craze. And those who own one are crazy enough! :D
Tavera is currently the most favorite taxi. Innova has become a must for every middle class and upper class families as a 2nd car or single car.
Scorpio sits in between all these and sells well and has some special fan following amongst youngsters and budding real estate brokers (there're a millions of them here).

Hello! What is Falken doing in this thread?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas

2.2L is catching up. Innova and Tavera carries 7 in a better way coz of the front facing seat pattern. Also, Innova and Tavera has lot of promo and people buy them for personal cum taxi use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak
Tavera is currently the most favorite taxi. Innova has become a must for every middle class and upper class families as a 2nd car or single car.
Scorpio sits in between all these and sells well and has some special fan following amongst youngsters and budding real estate brokers (there're a millions of them here).

Thanks folks! And not to mention the mindboggling number of Altos on the road! Autos and Altos and Buses, thats what Kerala roads are full of!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak
In Kerala, there's not much of Safari craze. And those who own one are crazy enough! :D

agree: Who knows, I may make the plunge too, sometime this year!

jkdas: a couple of quick questions :

1) How good is the roof AC? especially for third row folks? I know this has been discussed somewhere, but do you have any first hand experience? Do you need to use it very often?

2) Too early to ask, but how is your beige interior coping up with the dirt that comes in, especially when its all rains and wet shoes etc? Do you think it will be a big challenge for someone with three fairly active kids to keep the beige interiors clean? :D