Team-BHP - Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold ! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/36980-tata-safari-2-2l-1-5-lakh-kms-reclaiming-continues-without-extended-warranty-update-now-sold-21.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingshukt (Post 809071)
3. TAPPET NOISE IN IDLING WHICH WHEN SHOWN TO SERVICE ADVISOR EXPRESSED THEIR INABILITY SAYING THAT TAPPET IS NOT ADJUSTABLE.

Only Safari 3.0 has self adjusting Hydraulic Tappets.. & in 2.2 they arent adjustable as far as my memory serves me right...Use good quality fuel to minimize those tappet noise

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak (Post 806844)
Otherwise, I too will be soon forced to buy/hire a Safari and go to Pune for the RUN OVER ceremony.

There is Plenty of space in my safari.. Wanna join?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks (Post 806870)
W I will respectfully make way for your Safari, by moving well ahead of it and disappearing out of your sight. To keep it a fair contest, I will give you a 10-minute start in a Pune-Mumbai run.

Done.. But i dont think 3 safaris (if steer decides to come) will need 10 minutes to crush that santro..

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 808214)

2) Its cloth for seats and hence can be a problem. Rest is ok. I intend to get rexin seat covers.

No no no.. for the love of GOD dont put rexin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 808214)
Stock is 235. Steer had used 255/65 on OE alloys and I may use his old tyres if someone can confirm it safe.

I am running 265/65 on my dicor.. no Issues yet..

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks (Post 808006)
Looks like 7J or 7.5J alloys could cause some fouling in Dicor (with mud flaps?) if you put 255/65-16 tyres. So you have to be prepared to take steps to counter that, if you want wider alloys than stock. Michelin clearly does not recommend 255/65-16 tyres for stock 6.5J alloys. I would stand by that, and stick to stock tyres/wheels if fouling prevents fitting of 7J/7.5J alloys.

Like I said.. i am running 265/65 on Stock rims.. and no issues yet.. Not all cars are like the santro.. we are talking massive 16 inchers.. That should technically come up to where your RVM is.

Goddy

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks (Post 808297)
Not sure, since I haven't driven a Safari. I am sure Steer will give you the info you need. Just make sure that he didn't wear out those tyres chasing Santros and trying to run them over :). But seriously, if those tyres are old and not used for some time, I wouldn't recommend them.

JK - you may have to take the tyres to New Bharat and have rks's glasses removed from them. And maybe a few of his optimized rims too.

Otherwise you shouldnt have an issue as they were used for less than a year and the abuse really started after the Michelins came in.

In any case they dont cost you anything so try them on and if you dont like them throw them away (which would be a pity as they are still pretty unused).

You wont have to make any changes to your wheelwell if you use the stock rims because they fit very well. Go to 7J and you will have to do some cosmetic work and chopping off inside the front wheelwells else the tyres will rub against the bodywork.

Remember! He has to always run it over-inflated to gain the maximum benefit out of it. LOL!

When are the tires arriving?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves (Post 809228)
Adding packing below the windod beading is a temporary solution and the problem will resurface again(as it seems to have)
I hope the response from the customer support is not just an eyewash.
It sure is a real pain to have seat problems after uve put seatcovers(are urs exp leather? )
Goodluck with the TASS.

I know. :).
BUT I was too tired on that day (It was the 1st service , I was hungry and I has spent the full day at the service station, I had to argue for the oil - they did not have CH4 etc..) and I decided to withdraw and continue anotherday.
From what I saw, either the window breading is defective (I am not too sure here) or the window frame (where they fit the beading / glass) has a manufacturing defect. The manufacturing defect can only be rectified (properly) by a door change.
Now...
will TM do it ?
If they do it, will the colour match?.
Is it advisable to do it in a new vehicle?

These are all the questions that needs to be given a thought.

No. I have not put in natural leather (eg: Stanley). It is art leather. But then you cannot remove it and put it back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 809237)
So the krrr sound is the same of all. Is it a signal to you that you are not driving it correctly/ accelerating too fast?

Don't know:confused:. If you drive with a light foot then it is not there. But then We do have to overtake once in a while lol:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahulk76 (Post 809256)
Krrr... sound i believe is a oil malnutritioned differential.(the one which is between the gear box and the propeller shaft) . Get it lubricated...Hope this helps....

It cannot be the drive train / gearbox because we can replicate this noise even during idling in neutral.

I think that is is related to the VTT. VTT has floating bearing lubricated by filtered engine oil. I think that during sudden acceleration, the oil lubricatation to the bearings reduce for a fraction of time resulting in the turbine spindle being offset which results in the turbine blades rubbing on the casing.

After some amount of time the sharp edges on the blades wear off (with constant rubbing on the casing resulting in reduced noise. The Krrr noise is much reduced now (after ~ 3500 Km) than during the initial days and hence the above presumption.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahulk76 (Post 809261)
Only Safari 3.0 has self adjusting Hydraulic Tappets.. & in 2.2 they arent adjustable as far as my memory serves me right...Use good quality fuel to minimize those tappet noise

BU Bhandari Wakad informed me (during the 1st service in Jan '08) that 2.2. has hydraulic tappets - whether self adjusting or not was not discussed. But then those were the initial days and they did not have all the answers.

I agree about the "good quality fuel". As I mentioned earlier on some other thread the noise increases / decreases based on the fuel that I fill in. The best (from Tappet noise / Krrr noise pojnt of view) is IOCL Normal Diesel (without additive) and then IOCL XtraMile.
But then good IOCL pumps are hard to come by in Pune:eek:. I fill in Xtra Mile from Maldhaka IOCL COCO pump (they do not stock normal Diesel) or normal diesel from IOCL pump at Katraj.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 809515)
JK - you may have to take the tyres to New Bharat and have rks's glasses removed from them. And maybe a few of his optimized rims too..

I hope that was in jest !

My experience with New Bharat has been an unqualified disaster on more than one occasion. I have had enough reasons to reach the conclusion that they are a bunch of liars - totally unprofessional, uncouth and INCOMPETENT! I think its the large glitzy showroom that gets them their clients - the tendency to believe Big & cheap =Good/competent !

Sorry for going OT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfather (Post 809459)
There is Plenty of space in my safari.. Wanna join?

Done.. But i dont think 3 safaris (if steer decides to come) will need 10 minutes to crush that santro..

When do meet you in Pune. We can always have TBHP meet when you come down lol:

No no no.. for the love of GOD dont put rexin.

I think he means Art leather. Stanleys cost upward of 40K for a Safari.

Goddy

To repeat (for the sake of 20 word min reqmnt)... A T BHP meet can be arranged when you are all here for the Santro Crushing ceremony.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingshukt (Post 809844)

Don't know:confused:. If you drive with a light foot then it is not there. But then We do have to overtake once in a while lol:.

I think im experiencing the same noise... when you floor the pedal to overtake etc... it starts with a krrr and ends with a slightish growl..... the service guys @ wasan told me its tappet sound and cannot be adjusted since 2.2 tappet is non adjustable. So i pretty much dont care till it stalls... or till the noise changes from krrr.. to ghhhaaarrrr...n then crash boom bang.
Its more like gaadi khareedo aur extra sounds free.(sounds include all those unwanted and unheard of music not expected from a new vehicle)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb100 (Post 809874)
My experience with New Bharat has been an unqualified disaster on more than one occasion. I have had enough reasons to reach the conclusion that they are a bunch of liars - totally unprofessional, uncouth and INCOMPETENT! I think its the large glitzy showroom that gets them their clients - the tendency to believe Big & cheap =Good/competent !

Even i have heard the same but is there any other alternate option in tvm for tyres??

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen (Post 809901)
Even i have heard the same but is there any other alternate option in tvm for tyres??

No idea about Tvm, but a lots of friends I know South of Cochin get it from other ppl in Cochin (East End Tyres?) - or from Banglalore. I, and a bunch of my friends, have had our tyres shipped from Milivision Tyres Bangalore. He, we found, gave the best rates - for just 50 bucks extra per tyre (for transport) they book it in one of the overnight Volvo services!clap:

Edit: But I hear Cochin, being a port, is the point of entry for all the tyre importers these parts. Am told the tyres to Bangy also gets sent from here - so the cheapest rates also should be available here - IN fact I am told New Bharath himself imports a lot of tyres . Knowing them, one cannot trust if the tyres are first quality - that they are not pawning of the rejects from there! IN fact the ppl in the "know" claim so!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves (Post 809891)
I think im experiencing the same noise... when you floor the pedal to overtake etc... it starts with a krrr and ends with a slightish growl..... the service guys @ wasan told me its tappet sound and cannot be adjusted since 2.2 tappet is non adjustable.

I think that we have a difference of opinion as regards the source of the sound. Please read my previous post #307 in this regard. I still think that it is from the VTT

So i pretty much dont care till it stalls... or till the noise changes from krrr.. to ghhhaaarrrr...n then crash boom bang.

That must be the reason for the increased warrantylol:.
So long as the warranty is NOT void, drive like crazy and bill all the problems to TM cheers:

Its more like gaadi khareedo aur extra sounds free.(sounds include all those unwanted and unheard of music not expected from a new vehicle)

However like all other owners , I am still be besotted with the vehicle. All problems considered

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingshukt (Post 809071)
1. Krrr. NOISE PROBLEM DURING SUDDEN ACCELERATION IS NOT ADDRESSED. THIS IS A VERY IRRITATING NOISE

Kingshukt the recording please, this kkrr noise how much I strain to hear has been non-existent - with recorded noise will a have fix on it once and for ever.