Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 13:25   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Odo @ 1.13 lac, 5yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Completed 5years two days ago. Odo at 1.13lac if I remember correctly.
Congratulations! Must meet up next time we're in the same town to understand how exactly you managed this despite all the defective engineering

I still miss my truck, sold at 100k kms/4 years.
Old 18th March 2013, 13:44   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Completed 5years two days ago. Odo at 1.13lac if I remember correctly.
  • Have to find how I can block the air is not to sucked when its in recirculation mode.
  • Have to get 2 new tyres. Thinking of something different this time; other than yokos.
  • Also have to get suspension checked; will be done along with new tyres.
  • Fogs have to be fixed. Guess fuse are blown.
JKD!

Reckon we had a post in the issues thread on what needs to be done to permanently block the gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
2. Try Michelins. Suresh and Hari have it on their steeds and are very happy with them.
Done 52,000 kms so far on the Michelins and then have held good so far. They are holding out well so far and will be going for the same one when it comes to replacing them.
Old 18th March 2013, 13:53   #678
Team-BHP Support

Re: Safari 2.2L EX ; now 1 lac kms plus; Reclaiming continues without Extended Warran

I actually got a small plastic piece fitted to permanently block the vent. This is the only solution.
Old 18th March 2013, 14:37   #679
BHPian

Re: Safari 2.2L EX ; now 1 lac kms plus; Reclaiming continues without Extended Warran

Way to go!! It is indeed a land mark for a vehicle that most think is prone to failure. This is one of the threads I kept referring to when friends or family were looking at getting a Safari. By the way, nice pic!
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:10   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
1. Some air will always come into the cabin even in re circulation mode. This is a known feature/glitch.

2. Try Michelins. Suresh and Hari have it on their steeds and are very happy with them.
tsk has the solution. How to do it is what I have to find now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
How long more you keeping the truck ?
Another year or two. Intend to remap and enjoy for sometime in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Congratulations JK. 5 years and 1.13 Lac KM - you are really Reclaiming your life. You and Tsk Saab have one of the longest running 2.2 DiCors in this community.
Thanks. Mine's mostly a city guy with short intercity rides. Tsk's was really used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Congratulations! Must meet up next time we're in the same town to understand how exactly you managed this despite all the defective engineering

I still miss my truck, sold at 100k kms/4 years.
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
JKD!

Reckon we had a post in the issues thread on what needs to be done to permanently block the gap.

Done 52,000 kms so far on the Michelins and then have held good so far. They are holding out well so far and will be going for the same one when it comes to replacing them.
Will check for it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I actually got a small plastic piece fitted to permanently block the vent. This is the only solution.
Location? And can I do it myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Way to go!! It is indeed a land mark for a vehicle that most think is prone to failure. This is one of the threads I kept referring to when friends or family were looking at getting a Safari. By the way, nice pic!
Thanks unni.

Adding pix I got using fun2drive and an OBD reader.

Safari @ Idle without AC.

Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-screenshot_20130320222902.pngTata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-screenshot_20130320222911.png

Safari @ Idle with AC.

Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-screenshot_20130320222817.pngTata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-screenshot_20130320222801.png
jkdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:16   #681
Team-BHP Support

Please post details about the hardware and software. Does it show all sensors, like fuel temp sensor, O2 sensor readings etc.,
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:16   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Please post details about the hardware and software. Does it show all sensors, like fuel temp sensor, O2 sensor readings etc.,
The software I have on my android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...osch.fun2drive

The hardware I got via a friend.

Vgate-1-5-OBD-II-Reader

What it can do with right sofyware

Function list:
1.Read more than 3000 car manufacturers' DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) both generic and manufacturer-specific
2.Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light)
3.Display current sensor data, including:
4.Engine RPM
5.Calculated Load Value
6.Coolant Temperature
7.Fuel System Status
8.Vehicle Speed
9.Short Term Fuel Trim
10.Long Term Fuel Trim
11.Intake Manifold Pressure
12.Timing Advance
13.Intake Air Temperature
14.Air Flow Rate
15.Absolute Throttle Position
16.Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
17.Fuel System status
18.Fuel Pressure

I was asked to use a took called Torque which seems would give lot of data.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bC50b3JxdWUiXQ..

The Bosch one just give few parameters you see in the snapshot. You also can record which I am yet to try.

http://*************/showthread.php?...Android-Device
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-bt_mini.jpg  

Last edited by jkdas : 22nd March 2013 at 11:30.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:58   #683
BHPian

Quote:

Adding pix I got using fun2drive and an OBD reader.

Safari @ Idle without AC.
Can you please tell us what OBD reader you are using ? I want to go in for one too.
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:39   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Can you please tell us what OBD reader you are using ? I want to go in for one too.
Its Vgate-1-5-OBD-II-Reader as shown in the pix.

If interested, do PM; I can help you get it.

I tried another app called Torque Lite. Guess I might have to do some more configuration for it to work properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-screenshot_20130322123427.png  

Last edited by jkdas : 22nd March 2013 at 13:51.
Old 4th April 2013, 06:28   #685
BHPian

Quote:

Hi JK,

Would it be able to share the details with me as well? Would like to procure one. And I will not be able to PM you as yet due to my Newbie run-in period.

Thanks in advance for any help extended.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:23   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Have to find how I can block the air is not to sucked when its in recirculation mode.
I presume you mean fresh outside air coming in.

In the '70s (I may have the timing wrong), some cars in the US were notorious for sucking exhaust into the cabin. People became drowsy because of the carbon monoxide and had accidents. After much investigation, it was mandated that vehicles will ALWAYS pull in some fresh outside air from the front, regardless of the fresh-air/recirculate lever or fan setting. This is law in the US.

Taxis in the US (especially New York cabbies) used to install a single, high-mounted stoplight in the middle of the rear windscreen. Statistics showed that they got rear-ended very rarely. Subsequently it was made mandatory in the US for all vehicles.

I don't know if these are legal requirements in India, but I do see the single stoplight on every car and SUV (any exceptions?).

I presume that Indian manufacturers may be following these as a good practice.

Highly recommend that you do not defeat this feature by plugging it.
TheTeacher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 14:22   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Vader View Post
Hi JK,

Would it be able to share the details with me as well? Would like to procure one. And I will not be able to PM you as yet due to my Newbie run-in period.

Thanks in advance for any help extended.
Do google for this same model on ebay or other automotive forums. Or even FB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I presume you mean fresh outside air coming in.

In the '70s (I may have the timing wrong), some cars in the US were notorious for sucking exhaust into the cabin. People became drowsy because of the carbon monoxide and had accidents. After much investigation, it was mandated that vehicles will ALWAYS pull in some fresh outside air from the front, regardless of the fresh-air/recirculate lever or fan setting. This is law in the US.

Taxis in the US (especially New York cabbies) used to install a single, high-mounted stoplight in the middle of the rear windscreen. Statistics showed that they got rear-ended very rarely. Subsequently it was made mandatory in the US for all vehicles.

I don't know if these are legal requirements in India, but I do see the single stoplight on every car and SUV (any exceptions?).

I presume that Indian manufacturers may be following these as a good practice.

Highly recommend that you do not defeat this feature by plugging it.
Learned something today, thanks!

From my experience, all I do want is it to make suck lesser. I also found that when one is doing higher speeds, more air is sucked in . Its not just the fumes part but the efficiency of AC too is hit.
Old 10th April 2013, 13:17   #688
BHPian

Quote:
From my experience, all I do want is it to make suck lesser. I also found that when one is doing higher speeds, more air is sucked in . Its not just the fumes part but the efficiency of AC too is hit.
Hi JK, Blocking or reducing suction from outside is pretty easy. The opening is inside the black fairing which sits below wiper arms below the front windsheild. You have to remove the wiper arms and then remove four screws for the fairing to come out. You can see the intake which already has a wire mesh. You can stick a sponge or a similar filter which can filter and same time reduce or filter the air which goes in. The screws are covered with rubber grommets which will come out if you poke with a screwdriver. Hope this helps..
ameaa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 09:33   #689
Senior - BHPian

Odo at 113500 kms; Tata Safari 2.2L EX on Yoko + MRF Wanderer

Quote:
Changed tyres to Yokohama Geolander ATS 235/70 R16 at 5800Rs/tyre. Also filled it up with Nitrogen in all four tyres. I am pretty happy with the service/dealings of Speed Tyres, Cochin. I also got a Yoko T-shirt free.

Some pix of old tyres and new ones. I have retained the best stock tyre as the spare and have another at home. These two tyres would have last few thousand more easily.

Quote:
Odo @ 88k approx

Added two Yokos since one tyre tore during a drive (sidewall hit a sharp stone when taking a curve). The new Yokos adore the front wheels.

Got two MRF Wanderers for 6600 per tyre.

The two Yokos I have have lot of thread in them ( both done almost 25k). I have to get the MRF to rear as was advised.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-20130415_145316_319-medium.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-20130415_145232_889-medium.jpg  

Old 19th April 2013, 01:08   #690
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I tried another app called Torque Lite. Guess I might have to do some more configuration for it to work properly.
With Torque lite I just get Load from the engine. The Liva however shows everything. I guess I need to try the fun2drive app

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks