Team-BHP - Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold ! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/36980-tata-safari-2-2l-1-5-lakh-kms-reclaiming-continues-without-extended-warranty-update-now-sold-9.html)

Congratulations JK, great choice of vehicle and the color.Fantastic pics.

:Shockked: Huh!! how does it decipher to that.

Thats how the gears are defined and ratios built in for most vehicles, which vehicle zooms in 1st ??. We're not talking about F1's here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkdelhi (Post 769902)
And, if I am not mistaken, you have the new 2.2. Sssoooo, it does mean that the pick up is not good, at least nowhere good ('killing' is the word) as the new Scorpio.

Quote:

And, if I am not mistaken, you have the new 2.2. Sssoooo, it does mean that the pick up is not good, at least nowhere good ('killing' is the word) as the new Scorpio.

uhhh....safari is not meant for street racing.

and who says scorpio's pickup is good? on delhi roads, a scorpio is overtaken left, right & center by bikes, 800's, santro's wagonR's etc..coz these have better pickups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkdelhi (Post 768383)
I've been waiting to know this - Do you feel a lack of power in the 1st/2nd gear at all? I drove a Scorpio 2.6 the other day, and it lunged forward like a hungry beast on ALL gears whenever I pushed the accelerator even a slight bit.

Quote:

Hey man, why don't you open a separate thread on your old-Scorpio & the all-new Scorpio test drive experiences instead of hijacking JK's thread. Purpose of this thread is to congratulate him on his new acquisition. (The fact that its the best SUV in God's own country is merely a coincidence:D)

There are enough "Scorpio is better than Safari" debates going on out there, methinks your posts would do justice in those threads. No offense meant.

Just the other day I was on my way to Hosur on Sarjapur Road. I must have been doing 100 when I got overtaken by a safari 2.2 like I was standing still!!:eek:

Some of you know I have a Peted Accent Crdi running on Stage-1, shod with 195/60 R14 Es100's . We played tag (responsibly I might add) for some time and believe me that Safari was more than upto it in almost anything that we did on that road. IN fact there was one thing he could do that I couldn't - drop two wheels onto the shoulder at those speeds! The only place where I got the better of him was on some acute twisties where he had to bleed more speed than me.

I kept on his rear for a long time just to see how she handles - and even visually I could tell that the suspension was just brilliant!! ...............***sigh***

Believe me guys - the 0-100 timings just don't give the 'real' picture!

In cities , for speeds upto 50-60 kms, even small cars keep up with Merc till the last signal (almost). On straight roads, there are hardly any difference that you may make in real life, unless you are in the mood to race. Handling, in gear acceleration and actual gear that you may be in - matters a lot ( other than an over confident/ on the edge of being a stupid driver).
I remember an early morning sprint on Palm Beach road( almost 9 kms), a Laura overtook me and I shifted to 4th gear ( Viva CRDi- non Peted) and till the end of the road - I kept on tailing him - almost upto a speed of 165 + kmph.

And just a couple of weeks back on the same road, a Safari overtook - Verna (VGT) and I couldnt overtake it again despite I chased it. It was getting too dangerous with other vehicles around but the safari driver was focussed and relentless- and I dropped the idea- saying in my mind "nut case".

Later I realised, there is an apt saying- "guys moving slower than me are stupid, those going faster than me are crazy". So no more chases and races on the road. dont drive fast -simply glide!.

very well said shatrughna, on the small and uneven roads that we have, anything might come up and anyway we do not have no rights whatsoever to put others in
danger.

btw, we always talk about pick-ups and highest speeds and stuff, not seen much talk on how the ride was when the tarred and level portions of the road were not there much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas
Will revert after I cover 1800. Though will be easy with engine till then.

Or did you mean, is first and second gear short? First is. Yet to check the second one to its full potential.

Of course, please take your time. But you must have some impression of whether you have to floor the pedal all the way down in the 2nd gear to make the 2.2 go forward, or does a slight tap wake it up? Please don't get me wrong, I am only trying to find out if 2.2 has a decent pick up. BTW, very nice pictures you've got there of your safari. White looks awesome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu
...which vehicle zooms in 1st ??.

Agreed. But they do zoom in 2nd. At least you can feel it if you are driving one. Perhaps I have only driven petrol vehicles until now so am unable to imagine (admit my fault) how a diesel fares in terms of pick up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLL
uhhh....safari is not meant for street racing.

and who says scorpio's pickup is good? ...

Well, as I said, I got to drive one the other day, and I can vouch that the pick up was as good as my swift, considering that the former is double the size of the latter, and runs on diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman
Hey man, why don't you open a separate thread on your old-Scorpio & the all-new Scorpio test drive experiences instead of hijacking JK's thread. Purpose of this thread is to congratulate him on his new acquisition. (The fact that its the best SUV in God's own country is merely a coincidence:D)

There are enough "Scorpio is better than Safari" debates going on out there, methinks your posts would do justice in those threads. No offense meant.

please: Don't get me wrong, guys. I am only trying to find out how JK's new beast is faring...and to take it a bit further, does it fare better or at least as well as the new Scorpio. Since JK is making an attempt to post his new experiences in his new vehicle, I think it makes sense to ask him things that he faces as he goes along every day.

hey JK.. congrats on the new aqusition.... like a whole new you.. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb100 (Post 770749)

Believe me guys - the 0-100 timings just don't give the 'real' picture!

Very true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shatrughna (Post 771111)

Later I realised, there is an apt saying- "guys moving slower than me are stupid, those going faster than me are crazy". So no more chases and races on the road. dont drive fast -simply glide!.

Happens that some own faster gliders :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkdelhi (Post 771243)
Of course, please take your time. But you must have some impression of whether you have to floor the pedal all the way down in the 2nd gear to make the 2.2 go forward, or does a slight tap wake it up? Please don't get me wrong, I am only trying to find out if 2.2 has a decent pick up. BTW, very nice pictures you've got there of your safari. White looks awesome!

Agreed. But they do zoom in 2nd. At least you can feel it if you are driving one. Perhaps I have only driven petrol vehicles until now so am unable to imagine (admit my fault) how a diesel fares in terms of pick up.

no need to floor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by madan80 (Post 771268)
hey JK.. congrats on the new aqusition.... like a whole new you.. :)

Thanks pal

JK, great looking car. Needless to say, i am bitten by Safari bug.
Have decided to skip the dzire that I was considering. Maybe I will wait a bit longer (about 3-6 months) before making this jump (from Santro to Safari).

I would like to know whether you considerd Grande? If yes, how did you decide on Safari.

I suspect, you waited for the Grande launch before buying this. Will help me in how to evaluate the two.

Thanks and Safe Driving!

Quote:

Originally Posted by druva (Post 772150)
JK, great looking car. Needless to say, i am bitten by Safari bug.
Have decided to skip the dzire that I was considering. Maybe I will wait a bit longer (about 3-6 months) before making this jump (from Santro to Safari).

I would like to know whether you considerd Grande? If yes, how did you decide on Safari.

I suspect, you waited for the Grande launch before buying this. Will help me in how to evaluate the two.

Thanks and Safe Driving!

Never considered Grande as I knew it as for a different segment etc. Check threads were we have discussed regarding this.

Odo @ almost 1400 and hence I booked for 1st Free Service for tomorrow.

Issues:

1) A sound like bird chirping from either left door or boot gate when you drive through very bad road. Should be a beading issue I guess.

2) Child lock for rear left door goes back to "lock" position now and then when you close door as its a bit loose.

3) The problem with engaging 1st and reverse when the Safari is cold, ie,in the morning or after long parking gaps of 3-4 hours.

Now is this ok or an issue?

When you depress the clutch fully when the Safari is idling, the engine noise is lesser, ie, engine sounds more refined when doing so.

And I count till 30sec most of the time to switch off engine or to drive off after starting up. This time can go up up to 1min in the morn. My question is should I be doing this every time I start-stop even if the start-stop
duration is just 10-20minute?

It is nice to do so JK,as the turbo dies down suddenly if you switch off immediately after stopping.This is not a nice thing for the turbo.
RAM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram_hyundai (Post 774047)
It is nice to do so JK,as the turbo dies down suddenly if you switch off immediately after stopping.This is not a nice thing for the turbo.
RAM

I want to know the right practice regarding this.