Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 23:06   #451
Senior - BHPian

That looks like a cut from a steel/metal piece you hit somewhere. As far as I can make out from the picture only the outer tread has a cut and that too does not look very deep. But I would recommend getting the tyre taken off the rim & the tyre inspected by an expert from the inside also just to check on the extent of the damage (even though I don't think it'll be more than a couple of mm deep at most).

As for warranty coverage, no this will not be honoured under warranty in most cases. Also, if the cut is as deep as I'm assuming then it's perfectly fine to keep using this tyre since once the tread wears down to the deepest level of the cut, it'll disappear anyway.

In other words, this cut does not look like something that'll threaten the normal operation of the tyre or affect it in anyway.
Old 21st October 2008, 01:47   #452
Senior - BHPian

JK

It might also help to use this tyre exclusively for rear wheel duties. Will put less stress on it!
Old 29th October 2008, 21:14   #453
Senior - BHPian

I'm thinking about getting Delvac MX for my next oil change what about you? . Found a shop near pongumood which had the stuff. 1100 for a 5L can
PS: they also had synthetic
Old 29th October 2008, 22:41   #454
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'm thinking about getting Delvac MX for my next oil change what about you? . Found a shop near pongumood which had the stuff. 1100 for a 5L can
doesnt that work out to Rs220/litre? try 04842342790 its the mobil wholesaler in cochin- I had got mine for 170/litre from them.

Old 29th October 2008, 23:38   #455
Team-BHP Support

Dont run high speed / long distance with that cut, to avoid risk of thread sheering, especially since the vehicle is heavy the strain on the cut thread will be more. Very slim chance it will be covered under warranty also. I would move it to spare tyre duty.
Old 1st November 2008, 23:27   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I used to get synthetic for my Xing from him. Nice dealer.

I got oil changed for free from TASS. Got GTX this time. Thanks to call from Tata Engineer from Cochin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Dont run high speed / long distance with that cut, to avoid risk of thread sheering, especially since the vehicle is heavy the strain on the cut thread will be more. Very slim chance it will be covered under warranty also. I would move it to spare tyre duty.
Changed the defective tyre to stephney.

Guess what? my right side rear tyre has a cut too, but worse I guess. It doesn't look deep though. Defective pairs I got?

ishaan, there was/is not mark of any cut or so and this is what is perplexing me.

Last edited by jkdas : 1st November 2008 at 23:28.
Old 2nd November 2008, 09:46   #457
BHPian

JK, is somebody targetting your Safari? Can this be caused by a blade or sharp instrument?
Old 2nd November 2008, 13:41   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

I got oil changed for free from TASS. Got GTX this time. Thanks to call from Tata Engineer from Cochin

Changed the defective tyre to stephney.

Guess what? my right side rear tyre has a cut too, but worse I guess. It doesn't look deep though. Defective pairs I got?

ishaan, there was/is not mark of any cut or so and this is what is perplexing me.
Whats happening to your tyres?I think its a tyre problem.
Old 2nd November 2008, 14:26   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
doesnt that work out to Rs220/litre? try 04842342790 its the mobil wholesaler in cochin- I had got mine for 170/litre from them.
Quote:
thats what i thought too. he was such a nice guy. He suggested some alternative oils,which of them were better, and we had a discussion about my indica's requirement. he was of the opinion that indica's needed only 5L ( which is true for the NA indica's)

I liked his attitude so much that i decided to get it from him after all, despite the 250 buck difference! Now to wait for another 5 months !

Last edited by greenhorn : 2nd November 2008 at 14:27.
Old 10th December 2008, 22:00   #460
Senior - BHPian

Met with an accident two weeks ago. An absent minded old man in an Activa forgot that his by-road ended . He rode straight in front of my Safari. I saw him seconds ago but I knew I couldnt do anything. I alerted my uncle and cousin that I am gonna hit him (no other way, both sides of road had lot of people and traffic). We all remember seeing him in air above Safari's height and then fall on the bonnet and then roll off. I thought he was dead. Lucky him and me, that I was able to bring the Safari to almost stop prior to hitting him.

Took him to nearest hospital in my Safari and after initial diagonse we came to know he was alive and had nothing broken! Send him for a CT Scan and I wanted to make sure he was all ok and he was as per the CT scan result. All he had was 3 stictches on hsi head and some brusie. He was awake by the time they brought him back afer the CT scan.

Since they didnt have any issues and thr local crowd saw how it all happened we all didt want a case and split after settling his hospital bill.

CT scan which is a life saver costs just 1800 Rs here. A must scan in most cases.

I drove on with a non working left fog lamp and a broken bumper etc. I got my Safari back last week. 21k from pocket for now. Yet to get the claim amount.

I had to replace front bumper(3700Rs), front grill (3700Rs !!!), fog lamp (1141Rs), headlamp (3200rs), bumper grill (560Rs). All plastic !

The bonnet was fixed by spot suction method and hence saved money. I dotn think any other vehicle can take a hit like this. A 60-70kg human falls on a bonnet and all I get is this! See the photo.

And was pretty happy to see a very thick bar just behind the bumper (almost in parallel to the number plate, it should be aleast one inch in diameter). _
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-22112008001.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-22112008002.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2L at 1.5 lakh kms. Reclaiming continues without extended warranty UPDATE: Now Sold !-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by jkdas : 10th December 2008 at 22:02.
Old 10th December 2008, 22:25   #461
rippergeo

All's well that ends well. Lucky everything worked out. How much do you expect the depreciation is going to cost on all the plastic and glass?

Old 10th December 2008, 23:01   #462
Senior - BHPian

sad to see the car's state buddy. i know how it feels when we see our beloved vehicle in such a condition.
i am very glad to hear that you took the initiative to take him to the hospital and cover all his medical expenses. i have heard that the people in kerela beat up the car driver in the event of an accident? true?
Old 10th December 2008, 23:04   #463
Senior - BHPian

it has happened in the area where this occured . Even I keep an extra eye out in that region. jkdas had no problems though

Last edited by greenhorn : 10th December 2008 at 23:06.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:29   #464
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Met with an accident two weeks ago.
Good clear thinking inspite of the accident must have had the crowd/mob under control. Also much relief to read that nothing serious came out of it.

The frontgrill price atrocious, whats the damage to the headlamps - could not make out any.

Last edited by adc : 11th December 2008 at 14:31.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:31   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Good clear thinking inspite of the accident, good to hear that nothing serious came out of it.

The frontgrill price atrocious, whats the damage to the headlamps - could not make out any.
look at the base (inside), there seems to be a crack.

Most Viewed