Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2008, 00:15   #241
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
2) I reach office earlier these days. I think its coz I cruise at higher speeds. This can be coz I dont feel the speed factor unless I look at the speedo.
I am surprised that you can get to the office quicker in a Safari than in a Xing. I would have thought that virtually impossible under our road and traffic conditions. I have been overtaken by a Safari only once in the last 3 years, and that was on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, when I was doing full speed at ~145 kmph on the way to Pune. So the Safari is quicker on a straight line than my old Santro, but only marginally so. But the Santro will naturally run circles around the Safari when it comes to maneuvering through traffic (especially on curving roads), and not surprisingly, I overtook the guy back in the Lonawala ghats. With Xing there should be virtually nothing in it even in the matter of straight line speed. Maybe your Xing is a bit slow, considering that it had 175 mm width tyres.
Old 22nd April 2008, 01:12   #242
Senior - BHPian

Jk
When are u taking your truck to Pune?
Old 22nd April 2008, 01:39   #243
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu View Post
I must admit am joining the gang a bit late; had bought a 2.2 EX, light gold in Dec 07! Have clocked almost 3000 and wow what a 'beast' it is!
3 months and 3000 kms later you come out with it, you do have patience!!!

Quote:
EDIT: ADC had been to Siliguri immediately after his purchase. The Safari thing is not contagious is it ??
I had my first service [1200 km] in 5 days at Lexicon in Matigara, Siliguri. Remember the Lexicon works manager saying that this is the first time in his work life that he is servicing a vehicle without them selling a unit.
Old 22nd April 2008, 06:32   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
3 months and 3000 kms later you come out with it, you do have patience!!!

I had my first service [1200 km] in 5 days at Lexicon in Matigara, Siliguri. Remember the Lexicon works manager saying that this is the first time in his work life that he is servicing a vehicle without them selling a unit.
yeah sure! patience is one quality all the beast owners must have, I guess.( Sorry was kinda busy)

ADC may I ask as to why didn't u get it serviced at Bajla Motors(TASS)? They are the regular guys.
Old 22nd April 2008, 08:58   #245
BHPian

From Scorpio to Safari 2.2

Hi All,
It's been nearly two months since I bought my 2.2 cycus grey EX.I have already owned Scorpio earlier (both CRDe & non-CRDe versions) and hence can easily make out the difference ;-))

The Scorpio is much easier to drive in city(this must be because of the gear ratios I think as well as less turbo lag and low end grunt) whereas on highways Safari is unbeatable IMHO with the lavish space and comfort.

I too have had my share of problems with the VTT though minor ones like squeaks and all.Unfortunately none of my Scorpios had given me such problems in two months of ownership.
I think one needs to live with it ;-))

My ODO reads 2500 kms as of today and the overall FE that I've been getting is ~ 16 kmpl on the highways and 12 odd in the city (I use AC sparingly).

I've changed the engine oil during the first servicing (Mobil Delvac MX) and also the gear box & diff. oil (Castrol).

Off late while down shifting from 3rd to 2nd gear I feel shudder from the engine as if you're going over a speed breaker (the rpm ~ 1000 & speed ~ 15-20 kmph).Am I doing something wrong while down shifting or I need to bring this to TASS's notice ?

I've done trips like pune-kanyakumari and back in my Scorpio and I plan to do the same in the Safari as well ;-))

Overall I am quite satisfied with ownership experience till now at least..

Thanks,
rb2399
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:40   #246
BHPian

Hey welcome rb2399 to the Safari Club. Glad to know that there are more Cycus grey owners.

Do post your pictures and experiences..

P.S: A question since you are from Pune. Have you received the Smart Card and if Yes, what CC does your Smart Card say your vehicle is ?
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:02   #247
BHPian

Hi Jk, posting some pictures of the interiors clicked in a hurry. Going to Mangalore later in the day for 10 days will post more pictures if you ask after returning. No I'm not driving down as we are a fairly large group of 16, hence taking the train KONKAN RAILWAY.
I had spent Rs 8000 for the wood panelling of the centre console and the door trims. For the Butterscotch art leather I paid Rs 9500.00
Old 23rd April 2008, 02:26   #248
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu View Post
ADC may I ask as to why didn't u get it serviced at Bajla Motors(TASS)? They are the regular guys.
Nothing in particular, just that while coming from Bagdogra this was on the highway and thus noticed it while going to Pradhan Nagar where my cousin sister stays.

First service is mostly inspection and they did inspect closely but as there were no issues, they did not do anything in particular.

BTW johy is also from Siliguri - may be you can connect with him.
Old 23rd April 2008, 07:39   #249
BHPian

CC on smart card

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Hey welcome rb2399 to the Safari Club. Glad to know that there are more Cycus grey owners.

Do post your pictures and experiences..

P.S: A question since you are from Pune. Have you received the Smart Card and if Yes, what CC does your Smart Card say your vehicle is ?
It reads 2958 CC so I guess RTO is still referring to old dicor details.

Thanks,
rb2399
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:03   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
It reads 2958 CC so I guess RTO is still referring to old dicor details.
I got the smart card in Jan '08 and you must have go yours in the last couple of months. So our RTO has still not woken up.

Hope that this would not create a problem later on during resale or for insurance.
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:42   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
2) that you can't 'rush' to office in this but that it is rather for a more staid, leisurely drive to an outing with the family,

Wow! I never knew this part.

Looks like none of us are driving the truck the way it is meant to be. Boys, BEHAVE YOURSELVES!!!

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I am surprised that you can get to the office quicker in a Safari than in a Xing. I would have thought that virtually impossible under our road and traffic conditions. I have been overtaken by a Safari only once in the last 3 years, and that was on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, when I was doing full speed at ~145 kmph on the way to Pune. So the Safari is quicker on a straight line than my old Santro, but only marginally so. But the Santro will naturally run circles around the Safari when it comes to maneuvering through traffic (especially on curving roads), and not surprisingly, I overtook the guy back in the Lonawala ghats. With Xing there should be virtually nothing in it even in the matter of straight line speed. Maybe your Xing is a bit slow, considering that it had 175 mm width tyres.
JK bad boy. You should know by now that NOTHING can beat the Super Santro. EVEN if the Safari is running 2 psi extra and using wider rubber - those fantastic performance boosters work only on one car in this world.

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd April 2008 at 11:45.
Old 23rd April 2008, 12:57   #252
Senior - BHPian

Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.

1) I drive the safari around the city for all the work I have. You can rush but not maneuver it like a small cars, there's a difference in the dimensions.

2) My office commuting time has not reduced/ increased compared to driving in Santro and I drive during peak hours.

3) Let me rephrase "Its THE best for highways"

4) I now run the Santro, to just keep it running, even my wife now prefers to travel in the Safari Vs the Santro, even for short distances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
After reading innumerable posts on Safaris (JK's as well as others), why do I keep getting the impression that:
1) the Safari is not to be driven around like a 'car',
2) that you can't 'rush' to office in this but that it is rather for a more staid, leisurely drive to an outing with the family,
3) that it's best only for highways,
4) that you can't have it as the only vehicle at home?
Old 23rd April 2008, 13:10   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I am surprised that you can get to the office quicker in a Safari than in a Xing. Maybe your Xing is a bit slow, considering that it had 175 mm width tyres.
You forgot that it also had Green Cotton Wind and an Automech header

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Jk
When are u taking your truck to Pune?
Kerala highways are better

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
Hi All,
It's been nearly two months since I bought my 2.2 cycus grey EX.I have already owned Scorpio earlier (both CRDe & non-CRDe versions) and hence can easily make out the difference ;-))
Off late while down shifting from 3rd to 2nd gear I feel shudder from the engine as if you're going over a speed breaker (the rpm ~ 1000 & speed ~ 15-20 kmph).Am I doing something wrong while down shifting or I need to bring this to TASS's notice ?

Overall I am quite satisfied with ownership experience till now at least..

Thanks,
rb2399
cheers: Please do update us now and then. Not many own a Safari and a Scorpio. Your comments will be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
Hi Jk, posting some pictures of the interiors clicked in a hurry. Going to Mangalore later in the day for 10 days will post more pictures if you ask after returning. No I'm not driving down as we are a fairly large group of 16, hence taking the train KONKAN RAILWAY.
I had spent Rs 8000 for the wood panelling of the centre console and the door trims. For the Butterscotch art leather I paid Rs 9500.00
Where are the pix? 8000Rs for?? I was quoted 4.5K for the seat cover. Will do it once I see yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Wow! I never knew this part.

Looks like none of us are driving the truck the way it is meant to be. Boys, BEHAVE YOURSELVES!!!

LOL

JK bad boy. You should know by now that NOTHING can beat the Super Santro. EVEN if the Safari is running 2 psi extra and using wider rubber - those fantastic performance boosters work only on one car in this world.
Ask Zak and Jerrish.
My Safari is Santro in a new shape design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.

1) I drive the safari around the city for all the work I have. You can rush but not maneuver it like a small cars, there's a difference in the dimensions.

2) My office commuting time has not reduced/ increased compared to driving in Santro and I drive during peak hours.

3) Let me rephrase "Its THE best for highways"

4) I now run the Santro, to just keep it running, even my wife now prefers to travel in the Safari Vs the Santro, even for short distances.
Santro is best for City. Safari is best for highway. In city, you create highway when needed. Hope this clears all doubts.

My daily commute includes 10kms highway (by-pass road); straight road.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2008, 14:24   #254
BHPian

JK, do you have to pay the toll everyday? Or is there a special for Technopark guys?
Old 23rd April 2008, 14:34   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Santro is best for City. Safari is best for highway. In city, you create highway when needed. Hope this clears all doubts.

Quote of the month?

Take kp's advice. Go to Pune. Run over some Santros.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks