Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 22:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerlover View Post
Known (unresolved)Issues With The Car:-

-Overheating problem in slow traffic and idling, as soon as it starts getting some fresh air in her lungs and more so on her face the temperature drops.
seems to be some inherent design issue.

-Lately it has developed a appetite for fried clutches and boy it has got some serious abilities in that to- 3 full clutch assemblies in just 30k kms.
Last time during the overhaul I got the flywheel turned, release bearing and fork replaced but the way its going I know its going to be another premature failure.Any pointers? Need some advice urgently!
* Overheating in an old car is usually due to clogged radiator. Get it flushed out to remove scaling. If its too bad, then you need a new one. I assume this has not been an issue since day1 and your fan is fine. IIRC the newer Scorps had an additional cutout in the bumper for airflow.

* Is your driving mostly city or hwy. City drives with lots of stop and go will eat up clutch. Other Scorpio hi-milers can probably help here.
Old 20th January 2009, 09:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hi Lancerlover, Good report ! 1.9 L KMs since June 2004 ?!! That's something humungous ! You drive in your sleep as well or something ?!! Great going nevertheless and good to know that the beast is holding out.
This surely beats even HVK's everdriving record ! Just out of curiosity where do you clock in so many miles - highway or city ? Work ? Pleasure ? Trust you don't mind the nosey parker business - just trying to figure the terrain of the 1.9 L KMs life as a fellow Scorp owner who since Sept 05 has done just 67 K KMs !
Old 20th January 2009, 10:06   #33
Team-BHP Support

Lancer lover: Which engine oil do you use and what frequency ?
Old 20th January 2009, 11:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

LancerLover driving a Scropio! That too covered 1.9L kms! Nice!

Same question as already asked - June 2004 till Jan 2009 : 1.9L kms, how did you!???

EDIT: Post no. 1,500! Yippeee...

Last edited by HappyWheels : 20th January 2009 at 11:10.
Old 20th January 2009, 11:58   #35
BHPian

@ mpower- the problem is there since long and your suggestion has been implemented long time back to no avail.About the clutch my driving environment has been the same ever since I bought the car earlier clutches lasted for about 50k but now they just don't go more than 10k.

@ Eddy- I have always used the recommended Mahindra maxi mile- changed at a frequency of 7k kms.

@ Guderian and HappyWheels - My daily drive to work is about 120kms, add to that occasional long drives and at times for family when we have to travel together.My other cars have done around 60k kms combined since I bought the Scorpio, I simply prefer driving it over the sedans in this chaotic unorganized NCR traffic.

Simple Breakup - Work - 120kms x 25 days = 3000kms.
A long drive e.g.Chandigarh - 750kms x 1 trip = 750kms.
Misc.(running errands +family outings) = 250kms
TOTAL = 4000kms.
4000kms x 54 months of ownership = 216000kms.

If you have read my previous post I have clearly mentioned that it has been my workhorse since the day I bought it and 1.9 lac kms may sound huge but the way it has been used the numbers just add up.

Its simply a very practical MUV, its very maneuverable, fun to drive and spacious which is why it is bit addictive, I want a new car but am confused -already have a safari at home( actually 2) ,Endeavor is too big simply not practical for daily use, GV lacks the punch and with Captiva I simply cannot push those rickshaws around.
Old 20th January 2009, 12:33   #36
BHPian

Great Mileage Muncher!

Even I had the sweet memories of my Black Scorpio DX which I bought when it was launched (4th car in the NCR) with Turbo engine.

I clocked 1.25 Lac kms in the beast in just 2.5 yrs and the beast did with ease except that over heating problems for which I changed the Grille and added bigger fan, as the wents for Air in earlier model was closed enough for the ventilation problems which were rectified with new grille by M&M in newer models.
Old 20th January 2009, 15:50   #37
BHPian

[quote=lancerlover;1137380 already have a safari at home( actually 2) ,Endeavor is too big simply not practical for daily use, GV lacks the punch and with Captiva I simply cannot push those rickshaws around.[/quote]
Lancer Lover,
Since you own the Safari also, whats the cost of ownership when compared to Scorpio ? I presume you have driven the Safari also more than 1 lac Kms ?
Old 21st January 2009, 10:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

@ Guderian and HappyWheels - My daily drive to work is about 120kms, add to that occasional long drives and at times for family when we have to travel together.My other cars have done around 60k kms combined since I bought the Scorpio, I simply prefer driving it over the sedans in this chaotic unorganized NCR traffic.

Simple Breakup - Work - 120kms x 25 days = 3000kms.
A long drive e.g.Chandigarh - 750kms x 1 trip = 750kms.
Misc.(running errands +family outings) = 250kms
TOTAL = 4000kms.
4000kms x 54 months of ownership = 216000kms.

If you have read my previous post I have clearly mentioned that it has been my workhorse since the day I bought it and 1.9 lac kms may sound huge but the way it has been used the numbers just add up.

Its simply a very practical MUV, its very maneuverable, fun to drive and spacious which is why it is bit addictive, I want a new car but am confused -already have a safari at home( actually 2) ,Endeavor is too big simply not practical for daily use, GV lacks the punch and with Captiva I simply cannot push those rickshaws around.[/quote]

Great gobbler of KMs ! Looks as though all the other vehicles of yours are rotting/rusting away !
Wishing you many more happy miles on the Scorpio !

Last edited by Guderian : 21st January 2009 at 10:36.
Old 21st January 2009, 11:01   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow ! 1.9L km !!
If you ever want to overtake me on the road, I'll definitely give you way so you can cover many more .

Congrats. And wishing many many more thousands of safe driving with the Scorp.
Old 21st January 2009, 11:33   #40
Team-BHP Support

Lancerlover : Thanks for regularly updating this thread, rather than just forgetting about it.

Between, looks like your data cable is still having problems, as per your first post since i see no pics here!
Old 21st January 2009, 12:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Lancerlover : Thanks for regularly updating this thread, rather than just forgetting about it.

Between, looks like your data cable is still having problems, as per your first post since i see no pics here!
Yeah,right - we need some snaps here soon Lancerlover ! Please post them before we read a 2.5 L KMs report - which should be sometime next month I guess !
And while on the subject how about changing your name to Scorpiolover ? Or does it attract bigamy laws ?!!
Old 21st January 2009, 12:44   #42
BHPian

@ power ranger - Your presumption is incorrect, the older one has done about 55k and the new 2.2 about 20k kms.The cost of ownership comparing the initial phases seems to be pretty similar - minus the niggles (mostly electrical) the safari faces on the monthly basis.

@ Guderian- lol dude! not exactly (except for my esteem), the other cars namely a lancer, accent and previously a NHC were/are all used in the family for their daily commuting.But yes compared to the Scorpio they are sparingly used.

@ condor - Thanks mate!

Thank you guys for your wishes, will try posting some pics in the next couple of days.
Old 18th August 2009, 14:06   #43
BHPian

hi guys my scorp is an august 2009 CRDE, done 81k, but since a few months the average has gone down to like 8-9kmpl and if I floor it, it belches black and white smoke, power is not down surprisingly, actually i feel power has incresed with mileage, it cruises happily at 110-120....rest everything works like clockwork....any advice, some mechanic told me that it needs an engine overhaul.....oh and also its diet for engine oil has increased...
Old 18th August 2009, 14:52   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

fantastic!
you ve done 1.9 lac and I ve done 19K - you're at exactly 10 times the mileage Ive done on my Scorp.
I think you have taken the juice out of your investment, truth be told.
Maybe you should still consider buying another one because the new MHawk 2.2 engines are really nice - and if you pick up the SLE then you wont find it excessively priced. Of course it is certainly much more expensive than what you must have paid for yours when you bought it, but in my opinion the way prices in general have been shooting up, the Mhawk is still pretty ok.

Cheers and Happy driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerlover View Post
Hey guys,

My Scorpio is nearing the 2 lac mark and I have to admit that barring a couple of issues it has been a pleasure all through out.

Reaching there it has had its fair share of problems and more so lately but considering the fact that it has been my workhorse since the day I bought it- it has served me pretty well.

Major Failures So Far:-

-Alternator @ 1.6 lac kms- Oil seal developed a leak leading to failure -Replaced
Lucas-Tvs make - damage including labor -rs 13000/- .

-Power Steering Pump @ 1.85 lac kms- Oil seal leaked leading to failure-Replaced
Delphi make -rs 9000/- .

-Propeller Shaft @ 60K kms- Was replaced due to the worn out bearing.
Can't recall the make - rs 9000/- .

-Clutch Master Cylinder @ 85k kms- Tvs make( not sure)- rs 3500/-(approx).

-Water Body Pump @ 1.4 lac kms - Massive leakage from the assembly -Replaced
Can't recall the make - rs 2500/- (approx).

Minor failures so far:-

-Self -Bosch make - overhauled 3 times.

-Alternator- overhauled about 3 times.

-Condenser Fan Assembly-Behr make- Replaced about 4 times.

-AC Compressor Clutch Magnet -Replaced rs 2000/-(approx).

-Steering Connecting Rod- Replaced.

--There is no back lighting in the HVAC controls other switches on the central console, the tiny bulbs inside them have died and they are simply not available which means that if I want back lighting (which I badly do) I will have to replace the entire assembly(s).

I believe there would be a few more which I can not recall right now.

Performance at 1.9 lac kms :-

I am impressed, engine feels good enough for another 50-60k kms, other than a few squeaks and noises suspension is holding pretty good for its age, gear box is smooth and noiseless and the air conditioner still chills.

The car is still a pleasure to drive in the city and performs very well on the highways. On my trip to Chandigarh last month I constantly drove at 110-120 kmph and as expected it pulled effortlessly, it did not show any signs of strain in any department and returned a decent mileage of 13.5 kmpl (100% without a.c and about 30% city driving).

If I make the odometer stand at lets say 70k kms I believe nobody is gong to doubt that.

Known (unresolved)Issues With The Car:-

-Overheating problem in slow traffic and idling, as soon as it starts getting some fresh air in her lungs and more so on her face the temperature drops.
seems to be some inherent design issue.

-Lately it has developed a appetite for fried clutches and boy it has got some serious abilities in that to- 3 full clutch assemblies in just 30k kms.
Last time during the overhaul I got the flywheel turned, release bearing and fork replaced but the way its going I know its going to be another premature failure.Any pointers? Need some advice urgently!

Few Tips For Fellow Owners:-

-Get your idler bearings replaced at regular intervals and look for any abnormal wear on the alternator belt, if possible keep a spare belt in your car.

-If you feel that vibration have increased considerably get the engine mountings replaced its a 30 minute job and costs around 2000 bucks.

-For condenser fan failure there is no need to change the entire assembly just buy the motor (Behr make) and get it replaced, its all that matters and you would end up saving around 2000 bucks.

-Always use D.M. water in the radiator it prevents accumulation of salts in the entire assembly which leads to leakages and failures.

-If you live in a dusty environment get your air filter cleaned as often as possible.

-Get your car serviced at regular interval and always tank up from a reputed bunk it is crucial for her middle and old age.

Few Rants

Mahindra has gone crazy with its pricing be it the product Its spare parts and the service charges.

-Service charges be it routine or running repair are ridiculously high.
e.g.-Rupees 2000 is the labor charged for replacing the power steering pump which is a 45 minutes job and most other replacement/overhaul jobs are priced similarly- some 500 rs for replacement of idler bearings, 2400 rs for clutch overhaul.
Yes you can always go to your trusted neighborhood mechanic(which I have been doing from the day my warranty was over)but at times for specialized jobs you have to go the dealer,who are simply milking the customers and strangely no one is complaining.

-Almost all the workshops I have visited were under installed and under staffed to handle the huge number of cars they have to service (now add logan to the mess).

After all I bought a mahindra our local brand, it aint a novelty then why should I pay for the likes.

Summing it up
If not for the over priced 2.2 and the ridiculous service charges I would have bought another Scorpio without even thinking twice.

Most Viewed