Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 13:19   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
As long as you go with Factory fitted LPG cars - WagonR Duo or Cedia, LPG is a good option for cars outside of Delhi/ Mumbai. For cars in those Metros, CNG makes much more sense. CNG distribution infrastructure is VERY expensive and troublesome to set up, so it really depends on the individual city and its government.

All current generation CNG cars are manufacturer endorsed only i.e. Dealer retrofitted. Examples are the Indica, Optra etc. Maybe the new Santro CNG is factory fitted? Not sure about the Ikon or Lancer CNG.

The most luxurious CNG car you can purchase is the Optra. The most luxurious LPG car you can purchase is the Lancer Cedia ALPG

Assuming 2000 kms running a month of Petrol, your cost is Rs. 10,000 apx
" " " " CNG your cost is Rs. 4,500 aprx
Yearly savings = Rs. 60,000 +

DO NOT PURCHASE NON-MANUFACTURER ENDORSED kits
Thanks.

And just read that Pune will kick-start CNG economy by June 2008.
Let's keep our fingures crossed.

If that happens, we will see many other cars with built-in CNG.
Old 10th April 2008, 13:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Not sure about the Ikon or Lancer CNG.
The Ikon ha an option while buying it, one can fix the CNG kit, its completely through ford. The Cost is 40K , but well worth it in the long run, when one knows that a car is gonna stay for years. Ford came out with this option in December 07 here in hyd.
Old 8th February 2009, 10:20   #18

Screwdiva , i m doubtful about one thing
In delhi , i have talked to a few CNG fitters , they say that optra on CNG will run on 1.25Rs perkm . i.e 17-19km per kg of gas

how come urs is running less ??
Please elaborate !
Old 8th February 2009, 12:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Of course CNG makes sense even without the present subsidised pricing in India. But unfortunately at present, what you save in money gets spent on time (huge lines at filling stations). I would say that a CNG car requires a driver who can be made to get the car filled.
Old 28th February 2009, 00:23   #20
BHPian

cng it should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Of course CNG makes sense even without the present subsidised pricing in India. But unfortunately at present, what you save in money gets spent on time (huge lines at filling stations). I would say that a CNG car requires a driver who can be made to get the car filled.
here in gujarat, thanks to Mr Modi, cng network is spreading. in my city there are atleast five cng stations and i dont have to wait for more than fifteen minutes. forget the pricing but think about the future of your kids. what kind of environment are you going to give them? i also strongly believe that government should subsidise cng/lpg rather than diesel.
Old 28th February 2009, 10:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Not the case AT ALL here in Bombay. 5 mins tops. In, full tank, out. Rs. 150 for the next 100 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyanubhav View Post
Screwdiva , i m doubtful about one thing
In delhi , i have talked to a few CNG fitters , they say that optra on CNG will run on 1.25Rs perkm . i.e 17-19km per kg of gas

how come urs is running less ??
Please elaborate !
The Optra can give 15-16 kms/ kg when running on the highway. I dont believe it will manage that in city traffic with AC. Dont believe everything you hear.
Old 28th February 2009, 23:03   #22
BHPian

Great article. Is there CNG in Bangalore?

BH.
Old 1st March 2009, 09:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Great article. Is there CNG in Bangalore?

BH.
Unfortunately Bangalore doesn't have CNG infrastructure. Given that it was introduced in Delhi to reduce pollution from public buses, it is a great idea for Bangalore (wish).

Bangalore does have LPG stations, however there isn't a manufacturer supplied LPG kit for Optra.
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:10   #24
BHPian

For Sale

Car is now for Sale.

Team-BHP Classifieds - OPTRA CNG, Parsee Owned (Official GM 1.6L CNG Kit, Full GM Bodykit, 15" Alloys on MXV8's) - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Last edited by Screwdriva : 3rd March 2009 at 14:11.
Old 9th August 2011, 00:23   #25

Re: OPTRA CNG - Owner's tale of saving $ and the earth

Hello:

I've bought a used 2005 Optra 1.8 LT (not sure if it's NY edition - no service history / manual available) last month. On petrol I did not get more than 8 kmpl.

I went in for the Lovato CNG sequential kit. With installation it cost me around 62K in Mumbai. The guy is known to me - I've done a CNG installation (open loop) on my Indica Xeta.

Now I get approx 110 kms on a tankful around 9-10 kgs and my running cost has come down to approx Rs. 3/- per km.
Yes there is indeed a power loss and at times I feel there is no pick-up in a stop-and-go traffic especially on inclines even in 1st gear. Another issue I'm facing is the engine often stops in 2nd gear. But since this is a random behavior I am unable to replicate it. Will go for a check-up with the CNG guy soon.

All in all, it's an awesome car to drive / be driven in.

Cheers
Nitin
Old 14th December 2011, 12:01   #26
BHPian

Re: OPTRA CNG - Owner's tale of saving $ and the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitintabib View Post
Another issue I'm facing is the engine often stops in 2nd gear. But since this is a random behavior I am unable to replicate it. Will go for a check-up with the CNG guy soon.

All in all, it's an awesome car to drive / be driven in.

Cheers
Nitin
Nitin,
I recently had my Optra 1.8 (2003) converted to CNG. I find that revving the engine a little bit more while on CNG allows me to start effortlessly.
Secondly, at low speeds, I need to slot down to 1st gear on CNG whereas with petrol even 2nd would have sufficed. Have you tried that?

IMO, I was spoilt by not needed frequent gear changes (1-2-3) in city traffic due to the neat torque curve of the optra 1.8. With CNG, that changes a little. Small price to pay given all the other advantages!

HTH

- adnan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks