Team-BHP - My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/38261-my-ford-fiesta-1-6-sxi-completes-13-7-years-dies-drowning-4.html)

Or may be you are just being too cautious in revving it and hence drive in lower gears mostly:)

Another reason could be that I have alloy wheels--the stock ones from Ford. However, I'm not sure if these contribute to F.E., as it is a debatable subject.
I've driven quite hard over the last 2 weeks, changing gears at around 3 K to 4K, and when I tanked up today, the F.E. was 11.4 kmpl. My AC usage was around 30%, being winter months. Almost 55% of my drive was on 3rd gear or 2nd, given the road conditions and traffic.
BTW, are you using the tankfull to tankfull method? Please don't go by the DTE to calculate your F.E. I generally fill 30 to 32 psi on all 4 tyres whenever I tank up.

Good review and quite pleased to hear the FE figures. That must be quite reassuring to lot of new Fiesta owners.

16.75kml for 1.6 is really good.My 1.6S done only 1700km i think on highway i am getting more than 14kml.City most probably 11-12.I have to check properly full tank to full.

My Fiesta 1.6 gives me around 10.5 to 11kmpl with 100 % ac in thick Bombay traffic.

And I always have the A.C on even if I stop for around 10mins to meet a person or for another some work.
I drive sedately and change the gears at exactly 3k rpm, the speeds are evenly matched in each gear and all 1.6 owners might be knowing about this,

1st gear-- 3k rpm--20kph

2nd gear---3k rpm--40kph

3rd dear--3k rpm---60kph

4th gear --3k--rpm--80 kph

5th gear--2.8 to 3k rpm--100--120 kph

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 1062640)
Can you PM Suman and others over this? I also use system G on and off.

Can you send me their ids so that I can PM them?
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodak
Or may be you are just being too cautious in revving it and hence drive in lower gears mostly:)

Zodak, while my driving style is a little sedate, the bangalore traffic is bad and the daily commute involves low gears and frequent gear changes. I am changing gears around 2k rpm or so..
Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi
Another reason could be that I have alloy wheels--the stock ones from Ford.

I have put alloys as well - but these are aftermarket ones - league 14''.
Quote:

BTW, are you using the tankfull to tankfull method?
Yes I am. I also drive with AC 100% on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridharps (Post 1063640)
Can you send me their ids so that I can PM them?

All persons who have posted comments on this thread could be contacted. Suman's id is on page 2 of this thread.
But unlike what others have stated on this thread, I do switch off the engine at traffic stops, if the stoppage is for more than 60 seconds. This apart, 80% of the time it is me alone in the car. I also anticipate obstructions in traffic and take my foot off the throttle in advance, instead of braking at the last minute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerish666 (Post 1063575)
16.75kml for 1.6 is really good.My 1.6S done only 1700km i think on highway i am getting more than 14kml.City most probably 11-12.I have to check properly full tank to full.

Thanks, but that was on the highway to Mumbai last December. There were only 2 of us in the car, and AC usage was 30% as we left Hyd early morning. Speed was also between 90 to 110 kmph. If you notice my figures in my earlier post, the next figure came down drastically to around 14 owing to the high speed run on the Pune Expressway (between 120 to 140 kmph).

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidaford (Post 1063633)
My Fiesta 1.6 gives me around 10.5 to 11kmpl with 100 % ac in thick Bombay traffic.

And I always have the A.C on even if I stop for around 10mins to meet a person or for another some work.
I drive sedately and change the gears at exactly 3k rpm, the speeds are evenly matched in each gear and all 1.6 owners might be knowing about this,

1st gear-- 3k rpm--20kph

2nd gear---3k rpm--40kph

3rd dear--3k rpm---60kph

4th gear --3k--rpm--80 kph

5th gear--2.8 to 3k rpm--100--120 kph

My gear changes are also similar to yours most of the time.

I thought I should update my FE figures on the previous page:-

Date Petrol Bunk Odo Litres Mileage
25-May-08 IndianOIl Full Moon 267.8 24.52 10.92
3-Jun-08 IndianOIl Co outlet 172.4 15.12 11.40
22-Jun IndianOIl Full Moon 261.2 22.06 11.84
3-Jul IndianOIl Full Moon 119 9.53 12.48
2-Aug-08 IndianOIl Full Moon 317 25.94 12.22
24-Aug-08 IndianOIl Full Moon 256 22.15 11.55
5-Oct-08 IndianOIl Full Moon 536 44.51 12.04
22-Oct-08 IndianOIl Full Moon 389 35.96 10.81
4-Nov-08 IndianOIl Full Moon 312 24.62 12.67
22-Nov-08 IndianOIl Full Moon 340.6 29.83 11.41

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridharps (Post 1063640)
Zodak, while my driving style is a little sedate, the bangalore traffic is bad and the daily commute involves low gears and frequent gear changes. I am changing gears around 2k rpm or so..
I have put alloys as well - but these are aftermarket ones - league 14''.

2k rpm is fine, I mostly shift @2krpm (except when i'm first in signal the rpms climb to 4-5k :). Love to see the other vehicles left behind in my RVM) and I get figures a little lower than vnabhi, but that's understandable since I use AC 100%. My lowest in city has been 10.9kmpl (of course with 100% AC). My usual run involves 25+25kms up and down and will be on 3rd,4th most of the time and in 5th gear at 70-80kmph for around 10% of the journey.

I feel traffic + they tyre upgrade might have an impact in your case. I fill 33psi on stock tyres, so maybe you can try increasing the tyre pressure to 33-34psi

Quote:

Originally Posted by praveen_v (Post 1065848)
My usual run involves 25+25kms up and down and will be on 3rd,4th most of the time and in 5th gear at 70-80kmph for around 10% of the journey.

This is an important aspect praveen_v has brought out, that I missed in my earlier response. Yes, if the distance you travel is below 6 to 7 kms, and you keep using the car for many such short trips, then your FE will be considerably less.
For instance, when my office was just 3 kms away, my WagonR used to give me 11-12 kms avg FE, but when it shifted to 8kms from my house, the FE increased to 12-13 kmpl.
Even my lowest figure with the Fiesta was around 10.6 or so, with 100% AC, and my office is 13 kms away. Roughly 60% of the journey is in 4th gear.

14th March was the day my Fiesta completed its 2nd birthday, and I must say I don't even feel the car is 2 years old! Of course, my running is less, but that is why I went in for a petrol car.

I visited Mody Ford after dropping off my daughter for her board exams. I'd paid them Rs 4500 a few days before for extended warranty of one more year (till March 14th, 2011), and I got the papers after a wait of 15 minutes in their AC lounge, sipping a nice hot cuppa instant coffee.

Meantime, I spotted a black 1.6 S that had come to the workshop, so I walked out and started drooling over it. The owner saw my undivided attention and invited me to take a good look at the inside too---I really liked the small differences between that model and mine. Only thing I disliked was the absence of head rests for the rear seats.

When I asked the owner for a feedback, he said he was bowled over by the car, except the F.E., which according to him was never more than 9 in city driving. When he asked me, I said it was generally 11 to 12.5, but today it was 13. However I comforted him by saying he had a better looking beast.

He said "why did you not buy the S model then? After all your car looks around 6 to 8 months old?" I could see his jaw dropping when I told him it was exactly 2 years old! :Shockked:

As regards maintenance, I've not had any issues so far, except the rear seat belt squeak which recurs a month after every service--but it is not that annoying. Apart from the 3 free services and the paid 1 year service that cost me around Rs 3000, I got it serviced only after 18 months in end-October. 08, and that cost me Rs 2337, including oil change.

Another minor issue I've had was that the rear view mirror almost fell down because of the reverse camera mirror mounted over it, and I feel this is due to the heavy pressure my car-washer applied on it. I got it fixed by Mody Ford a week later, after the local accessory shop failed to fix it properly.

As regards F.E. it has increased a bit even though hot days have set in. I am surprised that the F.E. is slightly better when I keep the revs around 2000 rpm----this entails changing to a lower gear when needed.
At the end, I am one happy customer. Despite new launches, I still feel the Fiesta 1.6 rules.
I hope the doc below gives the FE figures in a better way than what I've posted earlier.

Belated Happy Birthday to your Beauty man, I can understand your pleasure as the ownership experience has been as hassle free as mine! The Fiesta 1.6 SXI is one hell of a vehicle to have at one's disposal, wish you many more Kms of trouble-free & adrenalin-pumping motoring!

Venu Sir, good update and happy to note that you are thoroughly enjoying a Ford.:)

Thanks Suman for your wishes.

Brajesh---thanks and I know that Hyd team-bhp folks admire your Ikon 1.6. I need to travel with you one of these days to learn high-speed driving skills!

Congrats. You clearly are one happy customer!
Wow, your FE is too good. I have now managed to get around 10 under city driving for my 1.6 SXi but nothing more..