Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2018, 01:11   #856
BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I'd still advise going for a relay. As for me, i'd stay away from higher wattage as they might affect the reflectors. I've read about Figo owners complaining.
Yes, I am sticking to the default 55W bulbs only. The previous owner had installed 100W, and the headlight glass has degraded as a result. I asked just for my personal knowledge and so as to help others who have dual barrel headlamps.
Old 13th March 2018, 17:30   #857
Senior - BHPian

The Fiesta completed 11 years today and will enjoy its 12th birthday tomorrow. How time flies! Each and every drive has been so thrilling all this while. Feels like brand new even now.

As the last 'happy docket' service was done in Jan 2017 with the odo around 60000,, and the Red Injun had plied nearly 8900 kms so far (with one liter engine oil topped up last July), I gave it for annual service today to Vibrant Ford.

Complaints listed were:-
  • Minor rattle from driver's window glass when half open, only at a particular height.
  • Minor vibration in the steering wheel at idle rpms, though not constant, accompanied by a very mild knocking sound from the engine bay. Like once every 3 seconds.
  • Slight thumping sound on potholes from engine bay--could be engine mounts or suspension, not not alarming.
  • Gear lever lateral movement had increased a bit, and sometimes movement to 3rd from 2nd was not smooth.
  • I had neglected engine bay cleaning, so wanted it to be cleaned.
  • Requested for change of left rear wheel bearing, which was found to be defective in July 2017. At that time, the part was not available. However, there was no humming sound even at top speeds so far.

I took the Metro back home, and even before I reached home,I was given an estimate of Rs 4596. Parts would be extra, if needed.

I later got a call saying that the wheel bearing and gear lever cable would cost around Rs 3600 and 600 respectively, and gave them a green signal.

I just now got a call saying the total bill was around 8619. They also said I would need to change the shocks at the front in the coming months, but right now they are only at the beginning stages of getting worn out (the rare thump).

I will be collecting the car tomorrow, though they said they could deliver at home. I always prefer to check the car in the presence of the SA and sort out things they might have left out.

So going by my experience so far, the petrol Ford Fiesta 1.6 has been easy on the pocket, and thrilling to drive. I wish there were more cars like this in the Indian market.

Last edited by vnabhi : 13th March 2018 at 17:34.
vnabhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 18:23   #858
BHPian

Wow! Congrats Red Injun I have said it before, bit without this thread, I wouldn't have bought a Fiesta 1.6!
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 22:21   #859
BHPian

Congrats on completing 12 years!
What a fascinating car it is! I have done 12k kms on mine in 6 months - and its a delight every single time I get behind the wheel.
Your Fiesta doesn't look so old at all. If not for the first gen headlamps, it would easily pass off as a newer car. Wish you many more happy miles.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 12:09   #860
Senior - BHPian

Got my car back yesterday in a spick and span condition. Below is an update of the items fixed in bold letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi;437044[LIST
Minor rattle from driver's window glass when half open, only at a particular height. Seems to have been fixed, but need to drive more and confirm.[/list]
  • Minor vibration in the steering wheel at idle rpms, though not constant, accompanied by a very mild knocking sound from the engine bay. Like once every 3 seconds. Almost negligible vibrations on the steering wheel now, when clasped tight. However that periodic 'whirr' from the engine at idle rpm every 5 seconds is still there, but the SA says it is normal. Maybe I am getting too finicky!
  • Slight thumping sound on potholes from engine bay--could be engine mounts or suspension, not not alarming. Identified as front shocks giving away. Need to change by year end, if sound intensifies. Estimate is 2 K for each.
  • Gear lever lateral movement had increased a bit, and sometimes movement to 3rd from 2nd was not smooth. Fixed by change of gear shifter cable/bush.
  • I had neglected engine bay cleaning, so wanted it to be cleaned. Done.
  • Requested for change of left rear wheel bearing, which was found to be defective in July 2017. At that time, the part was not available. However, there was no humming sound even at top speeds so far. Done.
So going by my experience so far, the petrol Ford Fiesta 1.6 has been easy on the pocket, and thrilling to drive. I wish there were more cars like this in the Indian market.
The total cost was Rs 8206, and not 8619 as reported earlier. The only item that I had not asked for was AC vents cleaning that cost Rs 815. However, as I'd never got that done, i am fine with it. The AC seems to work better now, and the odour is better.

Attached is a spreadsheet of the total cost incurred over the past 11 years. The second tab has a breakup of the most recent service cost.

Fiesta Service Cost.xlsx

Last edited by vnabhi : 15th March 2018 at 12:11.
Old 24th March 2018, 22:31   #861
Senior - BHPian

I've been hesitating for a few years from giving 3M a try for paint protection and restoration, mainly due to their prohibitive pricing. Instead I have been using local vendors for detailing the car, but those lasted only a few months.

As the Red Injun had already completed 11 years this month, I gave in to temptation and decided to get the car detailed at the 3M outlet close to my flat in Somajiguda, Hyderabad.

I got a quote of Rs 6251 for exterior treatment. Interiors would have cost me another 3000. but I was offered a discount of Rs 1000 if I took their package. Though the interiors held up fine so far, I gave them a green signal after they demonstrated a 'proof of concept' this afternoon.

The pictures below will convince anyone that it is worth opting for the combo package.

The rectangular area on the bonnet chosen for the POC:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20180324_122116.jpg

The same area after water wash, sanding, buffing with rubbing compound and then polishing with synthetic wax:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20180324_122606.jpg

The driver's door pad. The extreme right was chosen for POC.

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20180324_123215.jpg

Notice the change in that area:
My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20180324_123429.jpg

So I left my car with them for around 6 hours and went to pick it up in the evening. Total cost was Rs 8230. Yes, it is expensive indeed, but a 11-year old car that is now looking new justifies the cost.

More pictures later.
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 22:49   #862
Senior - BHPian

Here is a picture of the buffing with rubbing compound:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20180324_165451.jpg

And after several hours, the final result:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20180324_194217.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-final.jpeg

I shall post pictures of the interiors tomorrow, in sunlight. Overall it seems to be a great job by 3M, Somajiguda, Hyderabad.
vnabhi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th April 2018, 11:57   #863
BHPian

Congrats on hitting 12th anniversary .. Venu sir!

The detailing work does make it look as good as ever.
deepv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 18:06   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Congrats on hitting 12th anniversary .. Venu sir!

The detailing work does make it look as good as ever.
Thanks Deepankar. Hope your Fabia is doing good. 3M outlet in Somajiguda is equidistant to you too!
Old 11th April 2018, 11:16   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks Deepankar. Hope your Fabia is doing good. 3M outlet in Somajiguda is equidistant to you too!
Yeah .. I need to make a visit to them, there are some rats that caused problems with my Fabia. See if they have any options - spray, etc.

Also heard their washing service is pretty good, apparently difficult to get appointments on weekends.
Old 17th April 2018, 19:02   #866
Senior - BHPian

It's not even 3 weeks from getting my car detailed, and some idiot biker rear-ended me at Cyber Towers signal at 11 pm last night! Ouch, that pains!

I was heading home from work and saw the green signal at Cyber Towers, from where I had to take a right turn. But when I was a few meters from the stop line, I saw the signal turning orange. I wanted to continue, but the over-cautious indicab in front of me decided to brake and wait. So did I, as there was no other option.

A couple of seconds later I was shaken by a loud thud at the rear. I looked into the right ORVM and found a biker couple had fallen down after rear-ending my car! I imagined the worst. I got down and saw that both of them had only minor injuries. I then inspected my car, apprehending the worst. But I could find no imprint at all. A harder look revealed a 4-inch long and 1 inch wide white scratch on the right side of the bumper, close to the rear wheel. Oh boy, the car is really built tough. A few years back an Innova had hit me, but there was only a minor imprint.

I was heart-broken, but as the bikers had fallen down, and had a bent fork, I let them off with a reprimand. They also seemed apologetic!

I returned home and wiped that area with a wet cloth. There is indeed a scratch, but not that bad. I guess I can live with it. How I wish people around were more cautious, instead of speeding at signals!

Pictures below:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20180417_144529.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20180417_144545.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 12:21   #867
BHPian

WD40 works wonders in cleaning up such smudges.
It cleans up very well on my black A-Star. From removing bike related scars to green auto rickshaw paint.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 12:34   #868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
It cleans up very well on my black A-Star. From removing bike related scars to green auto rickshaw paint.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. I do have it in stock.
Old 23rd April 2018, 23:53   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Thanks once again. I got yet another bunch of scratches while taking a U turn, from a biker who suddenly veered left while taking the same turn. He scratched my right ORVM, portion between rear door and wheel, and also left a small mark on the metal just in front of the tail lamp.

Thanks to WD40, almost all of them are almost covered. Never knew that it could be used so effectively.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:50   #870
Senior - BHPian

Sir,

Firstly, thanks for the detailed cost breakup excel sheet of maintenance.

I would like to know the tachometer reading (RPM) at 80km/hr in the 5th gear. My 1.4 duratec does 80km/hr at 2100 RPM, which I feel is high, stressing out the engine and returning a low FE. I suspect a worn out clutch.

It will be helpful if you have the pricing details of the clutch overhaul at FASS. Also, did the suspension overhaul include changing of the lower arms as well? Planning to get both the clutch and suspension work done at an FNG. My car also suffers from tappet cover oil leakage. It seems I am looking at an expense of ~50k in total. The current ODO is ~40k in 10 years only.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed