Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2018, 01:05   #916
Distinguished - BHPian

Anything up to 1 litre per 1000 tends to be considered as "normal". Obviously, if it is leaking out, you might want that seen to. But if it disappears through the exhaust don't worry. Luv oil is a whole lot cheaper than an engine overhaul!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 09:03   #917
Senior - BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Precisely why you should stay away from a flush. You don't know how that engine was treated by the previous owner and the amount of accumulated sludge inside.
I will say that a flush will help in the case you describe - gives you a clean and fresh start. If your seals are leaking so be it, just replace them. In any case, rubber deals and rings aren't that expensive to replace.

The same if you've got a car that has run on mineral for three or four oil changes and you then want to move to synthetic.

There's zero need to do this every flush, and zero need to flush if you're using synthetic oil and changing oil + filters at (or a bit lower than, for OEM oil) regular change intervals.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 10:42   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I will say that a flush will help in the case you describe - gives you a clean and fresh start. If your seals are leaking so be it, just replace them. In any case, rubber deals and rings aren't that expensive to replace.
It's not just the oil seals. The problem with using a flush in a sludge filled engine is the oil + flush solution will circulate the previously stable and stationary sludge to all parts of the engine where they could block oil circulation holes, damage soft metal big end bearings, turbo chargers, camshaft VVT mechanisms or worse. Of course we have an oil filter but by the time that solution is filtered the damage could be done. This is not to say it WILL happen but could happen.

Also, about seals, well, the parts are not expensive but it is a labour intensive replacement. You know that saying "chaar ane ki murgi baara ane ka masala". People need to weigh the benefits vs the risks.

Quote:
The same if you've got a car that has run on mineral for three or four oil changes and you then want to move to synthetic.

There's zero need to do this every flush, and zero need to flush if you're using synthetic oil and changing oil + filters at (or a bit lower than, for OEM oil) regular change intervals.
Absolutely. I have noticed this peculiar trend about believing a flush as a panacea. My default answer is to use a flush ONLY if necessary. It is the owner who has to decide. "YMMV" applies here.

If one is regular with oil changes using mid to high quality mineral/synthetic oil & filter changes one does not need to flush the engine.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 11:37   #919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Since the engine capacity is 4.2 liters of oil (Oil filter replaced), that means the engine has consumed 0.3 liter (4.2-4-0.5), which is normal, as far as i know. I also top up my coolant as per requirement (did not have to top up this 7k Kms, strange!!). Now the oil level is at 3/4th distance, near the full mark, on the dip stick. Hope this info helps.
Thanks, but your figures are a bit confusing. It looks like your car consumed half a liter of engine oil over 7000 kms. I'll keep a watch on mine because it consumed nearly double of that quantity over half the distance traveled.

I wish I had checked the oil level in March soon after service. That would have given me a better benchmark.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 15:45   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks, but your figures are a bit confusing. It looks like your car consumed half a liter of engine oil over 7000 kms. I'll keep a watch on mine because it consumed nearly double of that quantity over half the distance traveled.

I wish I had checked the oil level in March soon after service. That would have given me a better benchmark.
Can you check if you feel oily/greasy stuff built up in exhaust muffler? That'll confirm if engine is burning oil or if it is some other problem. Call me if needed.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 23:49   #921
BHPian

Quote:

Thought it would confuse you, hence added the math in the bracket. But i guess i wasn't clear in the first place .

1. Total oil capacity with new oil filter 4.2 Lt.
2. But i only put in 4 Lt, since the can was 4 Lt and i couldn't find a 500 ml Motul 4100. That means since the beginning, the oil quantity in my engine was less by 200 ml.
3. So periodic top ups, in order to maintain the oil level near the max mark on the dipstick, consumed 500 ml in the last 7000 kms.
4. That means, 500 ml (topped up oil) - 200 ml (short since the oil was changed) = 300 ml used.

Hope this makes sense
Rohit_Quad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 21:03   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Anything up to 1 litre per 1000 tends to be considered as "normal". Obviously, if it is leaking out, you might want that seen to. But if it disappears through the exhaust don't worry. Luv oil is a whole lot cheaper than an engine overhaul!

Jeroen
Thanks, but as you own many Fords, do you find this consumption normal? So far I only heard of VW TSi engines sipping 1 liter per 1000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Can you check if you feel oily/greasy stuff built up in exhaust muffler? That'll confirm if engine is burning oil or if it is some other problem. Call me if needed.
Thanks Akshay. When should I check the exhaust muffler? On a cold engine, or just after a drive? And how do I check it---is it by poking a finger into the tail pipe? And isn't it normal for that portion to be soiled?
Old 16th September 2018, 21:59   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but as you own many Fords, do you find this consumption normal? So far I only heard of VW TSi engines sipping 1 liter per 1000 kms.
?

Normal is perhaps not the best term. Most engines, including Ford engines tend to use a whole lot less. But up to 1l per 1000 km is generally, for most engines, not considered a reason to take any remedial action.

Check your owner manual. It should have some recommendation on oil usage.
If anything there is no real reason for concern until you start falling well below that mark.

Jeroen

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th September 2018 at 22:37. Reason: Corrected. Thanks.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 00:25   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I checked today after reaching my office, and found no oily or greasy stuff on the exhaust pipe. It was bone dry, but my finger came out black, as expected. I'd done this decades ago on my Lamby scooter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Normal is perhaps not the best term. Most engines, including Ford engines tend to use a whole lot less. But up to 1l per 1000 km is generally, for most engines, not considered a reason to take any remedial action.

Check your owner manual. It should have some recommendation on oil usage.
If anything there is no real reason for concern until you start falling well below that mark.

Jeroen
No mention about oil consumption in the manual. However, the information in the below link seems pertinent.

http://engineswork.com/engines/ford-...ma-engine.html

My car's oil consumption seems to be within the limit of 200 ml per 1000 kms mentioned in it.
Old 18th September 2018, 08:51   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car's oil consumption seems to be within the limit of 200 ml per 1000 kms mentioned in it.
This is quite normal and means you may want to consider topping up your oil after say 6K km of running. Or just change your oil at 7500 km intervals instead of 10K km intervals (which is a good idea if you stick to the Ford OEM oil in any case).
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 09:53   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
This is quite normal and means you may want to consider topping up your oil after say 6K km of running. Or just change your oil at 7500 km intervals instead of 10K km intervals (which is a good idea if you stick to the Ford OEM oil in any case).
Thanks. I've always been getting the car serviced in yearly intervals, and the usage has always been below 7500 kms a year. So I guess that is why I did not notice any abnormal oil consumption so far, but I basically blame my lethargy for not monitoring the level regularly.
Old 18th September 2018, 10:00   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I've always been getting the car serviced in yearly intervals, and the usage has always been below 7500 kms a year. So I guess that is why I did not notice any abnormal oil consumption so far, but I basically blame my lethargy for not monitoring the level regularly.
As far as I can see your oil consumption is not abnormal and so where's the need to blame yourself? Enjoy your car, it has given you 11+ years of good service.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 18:30   #928
BHPian

Hi,

I have a 2010 EXI with me, still has the OE stereo, had the ford parking sensors fitted at that time, bumper coloured sensors.

Having got totally used to the elite i20, I badly miss the rear camera and guided access. Can you suggest any not so pricey camera + touch screen option to me, the car is rarely used and even more rarely by me, but whenever I take it out, I want piece of mind, don’t want to buy some very expensive HU, something that does the job, plays from USB, connects to rear camera, is more than enough.

Pls do advise
Old 11th November 2018, 19:03   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi,

I have a 2010 EXI with me, still has the OE stereo, had the ford parking sensors fitted at that time, bumper coloured sensors.

Having got totally used to the elite i20, I badly miss the rear camera and guided access. Can you suggest any not so pricey camera + touch screen option to me, the car is rarely used and even more rarely by me, but whenever I take it out, I want piece of mind, don’t want to buy some very expensive HU, something that does the job, plays from USB, connects to rear camera, is more than enough.

Pls do advise
I have so far resisted the urge to change the stock 6-cd player, though I have been tempted. The below link may be helpful:

https://the10pro.com/top-9-best-android-car-stereos/

I normally use my phone for GPS (no longer use my 2010 Garmin). I have a large collection of CDs and I don't want to junk them. The stock player has very good sound quality. It also plays FM channels very well. Hence I have resisted the urge, though having a rear camera will really be good.

I do have an aged RD rear camera, but I removed the mirror that comes with it, as it rests on the stock mirror, and so far the stock mirror fell down twice owing to the weight of the camera's mirror that is clipped on to it.
Old 11th November 2018, 19:25   #930
Senior - BHPian

You can get good touchscreen HUs on AliExpress that are a straight fit for various Fiesta versions so look around. Today there's the 11/11 sale so stuff is cheap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks