Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2019, 20:36   #961
Senior - BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
My Fiesta manual says "*Engine coolant need to be replaced at every 1,60,000 kms or 5 years." - and also inspected and topped up at every service. 2014-2019 is five years, so go ahead, drain out your coolant and add it afresh.

Note that topups are with Ford premix coolant (or hell, any other red coolant mixed in the correct ratio of coolant and distilled water), not plain distilled water, certainly not tap water, so if you have done that at any time eg at local garages or on highways ... flush it asap rather than wait for your next service.
Thanks, but I've never had to top up coolant so far. And i replaced it at FASS only once, as already mentioned. I will never use tap water, as I know the harm it will cause. I had used distilled water once, way back in 1989 on my M800.

I'll check my car manual regarding replacement interval. By the way, after how many years or kms does one need to flush the radiator? I've never had it done even once.
Old 17th February 2019, 20:41   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks, but I've never had to top up coolant so far. And i replaced it at FASS only once, as already mentioned. I will never use tap water, as I know the harm it will cause. I had used distilled water once, way back in 1989 on my M800.

I'll check my car manual regarding replacement interval. By the way, after how many years or kms does one need to flush the radiator? I've never had it done even once.
The radiator gradually picks up dirt / rust / mineral deposit etc - even faster if you use tap water to top up. Clean it if and only if there's dirt or rust in it, the coolant is discoloured or has sediment etc.

If you've just been using Ford coolant, I doubt you'll have such an issue. Just drain and replace it, it is fairly cheap, and in a hot climate like India it should be ok to do this a bit earlier than in a relatively colder US city. Anyway Ford seems to have changed their guidance regarding the coolant interval (the manual I have is from 2014-15 for a 1.5 TDCI).
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 22:19   #963
Senior - BHPian

I have a question for experts:

The Fiesta manual recommends checking valve clearance on the engine after the car is 8 years old. I've never seen this being done on my car. When I had questioned the SA last year, he said it is generally not needed, and that they would need to open the engine (or its cover) to check that.

Was he correct? What are the symptoms of valve clearances being not normal?
Old 21st February 2019, 22:23   #964
Senior - BHPian

Did your engine note change eg excessive clatter?

https://www.cars.com/articles/does-m...1420682596763/

Quote:
I have a question for experts:

The Fiesta manual recommends checking valve clearance on the engine after the car is 8 years old. I've never seen this being done on my car. When I had questioned the SA last year, he said it is generally not needed, and that they would need to open the engine (or its cover) to check that.

Was he correct? What are the symptoms of valve clearances being not normal?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 22:36   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did your engine note change eg excessive clatter?

https://www.cars.com/articles/does-m...1420682596763/
Thankfully, no such issues so far. Only at idle rpm, i get a mild whir for 3 times from the engine bay every 4 seconds--more like something from a belt or a rotating pulley. It is not easily discernible though. I've noticed this mostly while parking the car at midnight, when ambient noise is low.

When I asked the SA a few months ago, he said it is not abnormal, and not to worry.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:40   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Thankfully, no such issues so far. Only at idle rpm, i get a mild whir for 3 times from the engine bay every 4 seconds--more like something from a belt or a rotating pulley. It is not easily discernible though. I've noticed this mostly while parking the car at midnight, when ambient noise is low.

When I asked the SA a few months ago, he said it is not abnormal, and not to worry.
Yes that sound is normal, it's louder if your airfilter box vibrates. Regarding checking valve clearance my FNG guy said it's not needed as long as engine is behaving abnormally. Also he said the valve clearance cannot be adjusted.its direct replacement.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:55   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Yes that sound is normal, it's louder if your airfilter box vibrates. Regarding checking valve clearance my FNG guy said it's not needed as long as engine is behaving abnormally. Also he said the valve clearance cannot be adjusted.its direct replacement.
Many thanks, Akshay. I remember having a similar sound in my 12-year old M800 also, but that was long ago. I guess it is normal for minor sounds to start emanating as the vehicle gets older---could be the air filter box, or engine mounts, or squeaking belts, etc.

Good to know about the valve replacement vs adjustment----the manual states 'check valve clearance' only, and does not say ' --and replace if necessary'. They should have added that.
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:04   #968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks, Akshay. I remember having a similar sound in my 12-year old M800 also, but that was long ago. I guess it is normal for minor sounds to start emanating as the vehicle gets older---could be the air filter box, or engine mounts, or squeaking belts, etc.

Good to know about the valve replacement vs adjustment----the manual states 'check valve clearance' only, and does not say ' --and replace if necessary'. They should have added that.
That "if necessary" isnt an easy job and is best done at a dealer, not at an FNG. For when it comes due on your service schedule, take your fiesta to the most trusted Ford ASS you have in the area.
Old 24th February 2019, 23:32   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That "if necessary" isnt an easy job and is best done at a dealer, not at an FNG. For when it comes due on your service schedule, take your fiesta to the most trusted Ford ASS you have in the area.
I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I've NEVER got any job done outside FASS, except WA/WR/WB and replacement of AC Evaporator Coil. Therefore, the question of getting jobs concerning engine and critical parts will always continue to be in Ford Service Centers.
Old 14th March 2019, 00:03   #970
Senior - BHPian

The Red Injun enters teens today, having completed 12 years of exhilerating ownership. It still drives like new, with nary a rattle, and super silent at low revvs.

It has clicked 76500 on the odo so far. The emotional connect keeps growing with each passing year. i do not see any car under 10 lakhs today that is better and more exciting than this.

It is due for annual service this month, and i am contemplating clutch change. No major issues as such, but only a very minor clutch judder at the biting point in first gear. All other gears are fine. I know I can use it for many more kms, but I anticipate that this could pose problems if I were to drive on a ghat road. This apart, the kms clicked seem to be good enough for the stock clutch.

The FE over the last 3 refills has consistently been 12.5+, and purely in city driving. I expect a small drop now, as I have started using the AC more due to weather change.

Will update soon after the next service.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 10:28   #971
BHPian

Did you face issues with the AC Evaporator or something like that? My dad had to change it 2 years back on his 2009 Fiesta TDCi, and it failed again this year. After a big fight, we got Ford to waive 50% off the cost. We are facing frequent part failures on the Fiesta.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:32   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Did you face issues with the AC Evaporator or something like that? My dad had to change it 2 years back on his 2009 Fiesta TDCi, and it failed again this year. After a big fight, we got Ford to waive 50% off the cost. We are facing frequent part failures on the Fiesta.
Which means either you for Ford aren't changing the AC filter on a regular basis. And please use the AC in closed air recirculation mode.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:33   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, but I got it changed in 2015, when the car was 8 years old. I got the car AC inspected by the same FNG last month, and they said all is ok. However, I had to use the AC with blower at 2nd position yesterday, when the temperature was 37 degrees. I think the volume of air flowing out is less than normal.

I'll check with the Figo next week when I am in Bangalore, as that would provide me a comparison on a level playing ground. If what I suspect is correct, I might have to visit the FNG again.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 10:34   #974
BHPian

If you are coming anywhere near Elec City in Bangalore, do let me know and we can catch up
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 10:37   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are coming anywhere near Elec City in Bangalore, do let me know and we can catch up
Sure. We might be actually driving to Yercaud. I hope the elevated road from Silk Board to Elec City is now open to traffic in that direction?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks