Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2019, 17:35   #991
Senior - BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Fill it to the point where the pump auto cuts off and then don’t allow the pump guy to top up the fuel to say make the amount 2000 instead of 1960, don’t fill the tank to the brim either, stop where the pump cuts off and you should be ok.
That is what I have been doing from day 1. Only exceptions were while tanking up for a long journey, as I am wary of fuel quality in bunks on the highways.

But what the SA was suggesting was different---he was suggesting something like half tank filling instead of full. I do not find that practical, as I cannot keep tabs on the FE.
Old 3rd May 2019, 17:51   #992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That is what I have been doing from day 1. Only exceptions were while tanking up for a long journey, as I am wary of fuel quality in bunks on the highways.

But what the SA was suggesting was different---he was suggesting something like half tank filling instead of full. I do not find that practical, as I cannot keep tabs on the FE.
Doesn't make sense - there will just be more petrol vapor in a partially filled tank.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 17:22   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Red Injun was due for its annual ritual of maintenance last month.............

...........The AC is now a chiller. I no longer need to use the Figo for beating the hot weather while driving to office. The FE after top up yesterday was 11.6, despite the car being given for service. Overall I am very happy with this product.
?
It has been a few weeks since the Red Injun was serviced, and I have not got the customary feedback call from Ford India. I'd assured the service manager of a good feedback, but the call did not come. I recall that even for the prior 2 or 3 visits to the other center (Vibrant Ford), I did not get any call.

Has Ford India stopped gathering feedback from customers on how their service network operates? Or do they do it only for cars that are less than 10 years old?
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 02:02   #994
BHPian

I have noticed they start to skip calling if you are visiting the same service centre multiple times for different works & all the time you have given them 10/10 in all departments.

You will get calls when you are giving them some negative or you have raised issues in previous visits.

There is also that last option in feedback form where you can opt not to receive further calls, in case the previous Ford call centre guy clicked that, they would skip calls thinking you are feeling disturbed & opted out of the feedback loop.

Thanks
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 17:14   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
I have noticed they start to skip calling if you are visiting the same service centre multiple times for different works & all the time you have given them 10/10 in all departments.

You will get calls when you are giving them some negative or you have raised issues in previous visits.

There is also that last option in feedback form where you can opt not to receive further calls, in case the previous Ford call centre guy clicked that, they would skip calls thinking you are feeling disturbed & opted out of the feedback loop.

Thanks
Thank you. What you have said makes sense. But I am not sure a Ford call center guy has the authority to opt me out without my approval, unless he is misusing his powers.

Meanwhile, with the Figo back at home, I've been inclined to use it whenever I get a chance, simply because the stock ICE has bluetooth streaming, bluetooth calls and plays mp3 from discs or from the usb. The stock 6-CD changer in the Fiesta does none of the above.

Therefore, my quest for a good replacement began last month. Though I found good options below 25 K from Sony and Blaupunkt, what worried me most was the look of the fascia panel that would cover the gap between the new system (all are 178 mm wide) and the console that accommodated the 230 mm wide stock system. I was worried not only about the perfect fit, but also the colour and how it would gel with the dash and the surrounding switches and knobs. A4Anurag posted an image on the prior page, but the DHC guys were not stocking panels for the Fiesta.

I have a trusted accessories shop nearby, whose employee is now with Blaupunkt Hyderabad. I also know another ICE expert who was strongly recommending Sony or Pioneer. But I first approached the Blaupunkt guy and expressed my concerns over the fascia panel. He said it would be tough to get one as the Fiesta is a discontinued model, but he said he would verify from the main branch and also from branches in Bangalore and Vizag. When i chased up after a week, he expressed his regret, stating that plenty of panels were available only for current cars in production.

I then contacted another shop close to my work place, and he guaranteed to get one if I confirmed my purchase. He gave me a quote of Rs 19500 all inclusive for Sony XAV 3000 and 24500 for Sony XAV 5000. The cost was inclusive of labor charges (around 1000) fascia panel, and any extra pins or clips that might be needed. Rear camera would cost extra though. The cost more or less matches the prices in Amazon, but then one would have to pay extra for installation. I felt the 4k difference between the Sonys only for an extra USB slot was not justified.

When I asked him about Blaupunkt, he verified and got back stating the Monte Carlo 750 would be around 2 K cheaper than the Sony XAV 3000, with similar specs and performance. It also came with a 2-year warranty and a single USB slot at the rear. He said it had good reviews from customers. Based on his assurance, I told him to send me a picture of the fascia panel, and if it matched my expectations, I'd go ahead. He sent me a pic the same day, based on which I paid him an advance of 5K. I went the next day and paid him the balance 12k after he installed the new unit.He took extra care in pulling out the stock system, so that I could put it back there again if I plan to sell the car in future. He also connected my old rear camera to the system, and dismantled the age-old Nokia CK7W bluetooth system that came with the car, and was not working for the past year.

Overall I am happy with the installation, and the features of the new system. I can now take calls, use android auto or Apple Carplay, stream music via bluetooth from Spotify, use the reverse camera, play movies via USB, et al.

Below are pictures of the stock system and the fascia panel that was so hard to procure.

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20190516_171740.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20190516_145549.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20190516_120222.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 17:40   #996
Senior - BHPian

Below is a picture of the new ICE:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20190516_182234.jpg

I am still getting acquainted with it, and will post a detailed review soon.
vnabhi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 18:28   #997
Distinguished - BHPian

Am a silent admirer of this thread since a long time. The way you have maintained your car is just awesome.

Not everyone maintains an old car like this. This is one of the best drivers car we ever had. Its a complete package. Starting from the precise hydraulic steering, the unmatched handling & lastly the naturally aspirated 1.6 L petrol under the hood. Am sure a smile is always plastered on your face, whenever you drive this car!

2000-2010 was the golden era for car enthusiasts. We had so many great drivers car below the 10 L bracket. Palio 1.6, Ikon 1.6, Fiesta 1.6, Baleno, Honda City Vtec to name a few.

Post 2010 the sub 4 meter cars with the puny 1.2 L engines just killed the fun. Thanks to the weird tax implementation.

Wish you many more happy years with your teenager.
Samba is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 19:58   #998
Distinguished - BHPian

Checks and balances weighed against me retaining my own Fiesta, but there are days when I just want her back to take around to lutyen and thrash that engine. That's when I miss her the most.
I'm glad you are still managing to maintain her prim and proper as a daily driver.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 21:39   #999
BHPian

This thread is an inspiration for me to keep TooFun in shape as well as you have kept the Red Injun. Congrats on the ICE upgrade, we might change the HU in the near future as well! Meanwhile, the tyres are at the end of their life and need replacement. I'm thinking of a slightly wider profile and the Yoko Earth 1's. What would you suggest?

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 22:00   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

Not everyone maintains an old car like this. This is one of the best drivers car we ever had. Its a complete package. Starting from the precise hydraulic steering, the unmatched handling & lastly the naturally aspirated 1.6 L petrol under the hood. Am sure a smile is always plastered on your face, whenever you drive this car!

2000-2010 was the golden era for car enthusiasts. We had so many great drivers car below the 10 L bracket. Palio 1.6, Ikon 1.6, Fiesta 1.6, Baleno, Honda City Vtec to name a few.

Wish you many more happy years with your teenager.
Thank you for the accolade, Samba. I must confess that I am also an avid reader of your Etios thread.And what you've said about the golden era for car enthusiasts is so true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Checks and balances weighed against me retaining my own Fiesta, but there are days when I just want her back to take around to lutyen and thrash that engine. That's when I miss her the most.
I'm glad you are still managing to maintain her prim and proper as a daily driver.
Thanks mayank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
This thread is an inspiration for me to keep TooFun in shape as well as you have kept the Red Injun. Congrats on the ICE upgrade, we might change the HU in the near future as well! Meanwhile, the tyres are at the end of their life and need replacement. I'm thinking of a slightly wider profile and the Yoko Earth 1's. What would you suggest?
Neel
I have the Michelin XM2s on my Fiesta of 185/65/14 profile, and the Yoko Earth1s on the Figo of the same profile. The XM2s have been very silent over the last 36000 kms, and no issues so far. The Earth1s have done 26000 kms and have been a tad noisier right from the start. But they have harder sidewalls.

Take your pick.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 19:41   #1001
Senior - BHPian

The Red Injun was overdue for WR/WA/WB. As the weather had cooled down a bit in Hyderabad, I went in for it last week at Aditya Wheels, Banjara Hills.

The XM2s have done 37000+ kms in the past 6 years, and have been found to have even wear and tear. They look good to go for another 10 to 15 K kms, but I generally do not delay beyond 7 years. So I shall be changing them in September 2020, whatever be the mileage. I might go in for Continental this time, though my experience with the Michelins has been great so far. A couple of pics below:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20190601_170112.jpg
My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20190601_164417.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 11th June 2019 at 00:41. Reason: Images fixed. Please uploade images directly to the forum only. Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2019, 20:10   #1002
Senior - BHPian

It's nearly 45 days from the time in changed the stock ICE to the Blaupunkt Monte Carlo 750. I am simply loving it! I am quite impressed by it, and hardly a drive goes by without listening to Spotify or FM on it, apart from Google Maps for navigation.

I have a personal andriod and an office iPhone, so have used both Andriod Auto and Car Play extensively. The screen look on CP looks far better than the one on AA, but I am eagerly waiting for the update of AA that was in the news a month ago.

The only issue with CP is that navigation via Google Maps does not work. i keep getting a message stating 'navigation will not work in the country you are operating from'.
Does anybody know how to tide over this?
Old 2nd July 2019, 20:55   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only issue with CP is that navigation via Google Maps does not work. i keep getting a message stating 'navigation will not work in the country you are operating from'.
Does anybody know how to tide over this?
Are you sure your locale etc in the carplay device is set to India and not say China?

https://blog.google/products/maps/5-...apple-carplay/ suggests that you need to update your phone OS and the carplay app.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 21:25   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Are you sure your locale etc in the carplay device is set to India and not say China?

https://blog.google/products/maps/5-...apple-carplay/ suggests that you need to update your phone OS and the carplay app.
Thanks, but I am new to IOS. Can i set the locale? Where can i do that?
Mine is an iphone 8 provided by my employer.

Edit: I navigated to Settings > General > Language & Region and found my region set to India. So I guess this is the locale?

Last edited by vnabhi : 2nd July 2019 at 21:33.
Old 20th October 2019, 13:38   #1005
Senior - BHPian

It's been a few months and I've not bothered to update this ownership thread. The Red Injun continues to delight me, and the odo today stands at 79387. I've also been using the Figo once a week, as it is a tdci and needs to be run regularly.

Everything is fine with the Fiesta, and it withstood flooded roads two or three times over the past 3 weeks, when most of Hitec City area got drenched in very heavy rain.

The FE continues to hover between 11 to 13 kmpl, with the latter showing up when there are more airport runs. The rest is on city roads.

I have a question for other 1.6 Fiesta owners---at what odo reading did you have to change the clutch? Mine has been showing signs of a mild judder in 1st gear for the past year, but nothing serious. The FE has not dropped either. However, I don't want to ignore it for long. I remember changing the clutch plates on my Waggie when the odo was 77000 kms.

Another question--when did you have to change the shocks and struts? I am running on the stock ones so far. The suspension feels fine, but it is also possible that I have got used to the worn out suspension, and hence not noticing anything amiss. Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed