Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2020, 23:57   #1021
Senior - BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

I got my engine oil leak plugged a week ago at Vibrant Ford. They changed the cam cover gasket. In addition, they also changed the link rods to get rid of that minor thud sound during sharp turns from my parking space during early morning starts.

Further, as the SA said the drive belt might need a change, I gave him the go ahead. The total cost was Rs 9700 approx, which includes labour charges of around 2600 and taxes of Rs 1540. Also for engine compartment cleaning that cost around Rs 650.

For the first couple of days, I suspected a fried smell coming from the engine bay after reaching the destination. But when I went to Vibrant Ford, they said the smell was normal. The smell seems to have decreased over the week. I"m not sure if the new gasket was causing that smell.

I also placed a newspaper below the engine bay overnight, and found no oil stains the next morning. The engine oil level has not dropped either. I guess it was a successful repair. I'll post and update after a month.

The only item that concerned me was the link rods. They were changed when the odo was 70000 kms, and they wore out in a mere 10000 kms! I am not sure of their quality. The stock ones were great as they lasted 70K kms.
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 11:47   #1022
Senior - BHPian

A picture of the engine bay after the engine cleaning spray at FASS. I love to keep it this way, but as we have been using a car cleaner for the past few months, I'd neglected cleaning the bay due to laziness. Over time, it got dusty and dirty.

I now intend to clean the bay once a week to keep it pristine.

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20200124_123525.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 03:10   #1023
BHPian

Even I need to get my valve cover gasket replaced, as there's a minor leak. But it's not too much, as in 4000km since my last service it only dipped a little below the max level.
I have noticed another issue with my Fiesta : on rough roads and when the rear wheels tilt to a particular angle there's a scraping noise from the rear, like metal touching metal. There's no issue when driving straight or at small angles, while cornering etc. I got underneath and checked last weekend and found some marks on both the rear shock absorbers, there's some shine at a particular spot and brushing marks at another. From their position, I am guessing the lower marks are from the trailing arm touching the shock absorber when the wheel tilts a certain degree, while the shine seems to be the wheel rim touching the shock absorber in the same condition!
I am confused as to what could cause the trailing arm and the wheel to foul with the shock absorber. I didnt see anything loose or out of place. I'm taking it to the service centre tomorrow to check it out. I was hoping someone could provide any possible explanation to this, before the service centre starts suggesting changing multiple parts.
Old 19th March 2020, 09:00   #1024
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for still updating this thread. I absolutely love the car, and would again purchase one, if available in good shape.

One request: If you have a list of parts that have been changed with timeline it'd be great to compile it in a single post.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 22:06   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Thanks for still updating this thread. I absolutely love the car, and would again purchase one, if available in good shape.

One request: If you have a list of parts that have been changed with timeline it'd be great to compile it in a single post.
Sorry, I missed this post, as I was distracted by Covic-19 lockdown. I'll surely do that in a couple of days.
Old 30th March 2020, 12:36   #1026
Senior - BHPian

With the Covid-related lockdown in force for the past week, I forgot for the first time that the Red Injun crossed its 13th birthday on the 14th of March! Realized this only when I went to clean the car with a Jopasu yesterday. I was surprised to see only a negligible layer of dust on it, despite not being cleaned for nearly a week. I guess the lockdown has really resulted in less dust, pollution, noise, etc.

I opened the engine bay and gave it a wipe, and found out it was just as clean as last week. I also checked the engine oil and found it to be the same. No telltale signs of leakage below the car either. So it looks like the cam gasket replacement was done correctly by Vibrant Ford. Quite a relief indeed!

It looked like the car was begging to be driven out, but I did not want to do that owing to government restrictions. All I could do was to start it and move around in the parking bay, and in the cellar parking. At least that would keep the battery in shape,and prevent issues with brakes, tyres etc.

The car covered its normal range of around 6000 kms and is due for its next service in April. I will soon need to change the XM2s as they have covered 42000 kms nearly, but have also aged to 6+ years. Though the tread looks good for another 10 k Kms, I'll not wait beyond June. The clutch is still fine, and the minor top up of AC gas in last year's service is holding good. Another task after the lockdown is getting minor scratches painted--mostly on the front and rear bumpers.

The Red Injun has really lived up to its expectations. What I'm missing most is the drive to work. Hope to do that soon after the restrictions are lifted.

Below is a break up of every rupee spent on the car in the last 13 years.

Fiesta Service Cost.xlsx
vnabhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 13:23   #1027
Senior - BHPian

The Red Injun was last serviced in April 2019, and owing to the lock down she had barely covered around 4750 kms till yesterday and only around 80 kms in the last 2 months 14 days.

As the time span was nearly 14 months, and bearing in mind the fact that I'd be working from home for another 2 to 3 months, I did not want to delay the annual ritual. But as the car had its cam cover valve and a couple of parts replaced in January, I did not want to go in for regular service. I instead opted for the Happy Pocket Service at Fortune Ford, RTC X Roads, Hyderabad. This was the first time I was visiting this center, as they have closed their Chapel Road outlet.

I was overall happy with the 2 hours I spent there. Only the water wash could not be done owing to paucity of personnel, and I will get that done later free of charge. Total cost was Rs 1759.

They checked the car and found the following issues to be addressed over the next few months:-
  1. Gear box bedding needs to be replaced. Costs around 5800. There could be a slight jerk in the first gear till that is done.
  1. Minor leak suspected owing to presence of vapor on the high pressure link to the power steering. Costs 6000 to replace.
  1. Brake pads and disks need to be replaced after 5000 kms. Cost around 6 K.

I'll observe the car and might go in for all jobs at one time in the next few months, if warranted.

Pics of the car after oil change and when it was made ready for delivery.

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20200601_111239.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20200601_121933.jpg

Last edited by vnabhi : 1st June 2020 at 13:34.
vnabhi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 13:56   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Folks

With a heavy heart I want to disclose that the Red Injun met with a watery death a couple of weeks back, owing to the deluge that followed heavy rains in Hyderabad. The Fiesta was under 11 feet of storm water in the cellar parking for days together, along with 20 other cars of other dwellers in our apartment complex. It took 2 attempts over several days to empty the cellar, that got filled twice in a week's time. It was roughly the size of an Olympic swimming pool.

Never had an inanimate object caused so much of angst. Something like a pet dog dying after being with a family for 13 years 7 months. It took me a couple of weeks of remorse to get out of it. I was planning to keep it for at least a few years more, till parts were available Even its fitness certificate was due in March 2022. And it still looked and drove like it was brand new!

The car has been surveyed a couple of days back, when the cellar was accessible, and the process for total loss has started. The IDV was 2.79 lakhs, and I hope to get at least a large percentage of that in a month's time. The decision on the amount might take a couple of weeks, I was told.

I have the Figo 1.4 tdci with me and will use it till I decide to go for a new car. Sad thing is Ford does not make such cars anymore! I might evaluate options only after a year, as we are likely to have a wedding in the family that i need to park funds for. And I don't want to spend too much with retirement round the corner.

Gone are the dreams of going for long highway drives on the Fiesta that I was planning post retirement. The addictive snarl of the Duratec 1.6 at higher RPMs is surely going to be missed. The instant punch in 2nd gear after going over a speed breaker is something that surprised other road users. And the way the tacho moved from 3000 rpm to the redline is something to be seen to be believed. All this coupled with the sweetest of handling, that will always leave a grin on your face.

It surely needed more miles on the odo, as it had covered only 82305 kms so far. It was hardly used for 1000 kms from the time the lockdown started, and that included a complete solo drive all around the Outer Ring Road of 156 kms a couple of months ago. The biggest drawback of working from home during the lockdown was not enjoying the 'me moments' driving it to work and back daily, and hence the ORR round trip!

But as the saying goes, perhaps what happened was better than being involved in an accident, or getting washed away with the car in floods.

I'll update this thread soon after the insurance formalities are completed. I might need advice on how to cancel the RC card after it is declared a total loss.

Thanks in advance for your condolences.
vnabhi is offline   (107) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 14:19   #1029
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
With a heavy heart I want to disclose that the Red Injun met with a watery death a couple of weeks back, owing to the deluge that followed heavy rains in Hyderabad.
Sorry for the loss. Loved the way the car was maintained and no one could guess it's age looking at it. Your car maintenance is an inspiration to me still.

I remember trying to tag along with you during Nagarjuna Sagar meet time.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 14:28   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear this.

I think this was the only 1.6 Fiesta thread that was active. I guess you have spent enough time with it and done enough kms to feel happy even though it was an unexpected separation.

On the bright side, you have the Figo which is similar in handling and you have a huge market of models to select from when the time comes. Of course, getting something close to Fiesta as a package will be difficult, but with the petrol turbo era in full swing, you have plenty to choose from.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 14:50   #1031
Senior - BHPian

I am truly sorry for your loss this was a delicious looking car and lovingly maintained and I enjoyed every moment of your ownership reading the thread.

Insurance may want you to sign a form 29 and 30 and hand over the RC and keys as they will attempt to salvage and sell the car even after paying out a total loss.

If they don’t do that then please pm back and I will assist with rc cancellation procedures.
hserus is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 14:54   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks
With a heavy heart I want to disclose that the Red Injun met with a watery death a couple of weeks back, owing to the deluge that followed heavy rains in Hyderabad.
My heartfelt condolences, vnabhi!

I can understand what you must be going through, a car that has served you well for so many years now, with which you have developed a relationship connected by the soul, its like losing a family member! Your Fiesta was absolutely brilliant and I've enjoyed going through your lovely thread. Yours and mine are the only Paprika Red Fiesta threads on the forum I guess.

There is absolutely no replacement for the Fiesta 1.6 in the market today. But I do hope that you can move on and find a worthy successor to the fallen warrior. I would suggest you hold on tighter to your Figo now. They don't make cars like them anymore.

RIP Red Injun.

Last edited by Porschefire : 23rd October 2020 at 14:56.
Porschefire is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 15:24   #1033
BHPian

Sorry for the loss. I think yours and mayankks threads were the ones where I asked most questions when finalising my purchase. Thank you for the same. Btw why do I feel that sooner or later you will pickup a used fiesta? In other news, come to Goa and you can drive my car
akshay380 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:05   #1034
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a really unfortunate update on this thread, something which I was dreading before I read through it.

Sorry for your loss.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 20:40   #1035
Distinguished - BHPian

I was such a big fan of your car, this post hurts a lot.

I know how the attachment grows with an old car. I absolutely agree with you that now there are no cars available anymore which can give you the pleasure of this lovely 1.6 NA backed up by the precise steering and beautiful handling.

Maybe you can have a look at the Rapid 1.0 TSI MT as your next purchase which will be very close to match the driving pleasure of the Fiesta 1.6.

Last edited by Samba : 24th October 2020 at 20:44.
Samba is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks