Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2010, 13:07   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@vnabi,

Thats really bad. Could not imagine how could a small pebble cause such a grave damage. I need to start closely looking at the glasses in my Fietsa too then, lately have been hearing a lot of unwanted sounds.

BTW do you recollect trailing a dumper carrying construction material/debris lately, coz on a couple of occassions I had trail a dumper and could see a lot of small stones travelling like missiles when the dumper guys is going at break neck speed. Have been avoiding since then going behind such trucks.
I do remember many such dumpers, but I avoid them like plague. But during both high and low speed drives, I've got several 'clink' sounds on the windscreen. The one that was the loudest was around 3 weeks back when I was entering the Outer Ring Road at a very low speed. I heard a loud pebble hitting the windscreen and a truck speeding by on the ORR at right angles to my car. I did not notice any visible damage, but I drove at 140 kmph on the ORR after that.

Little did I know that it had probably hit the corner of the windscreen. Perhaps the film on the windscreen made it look invisible, but I may be wrong.

In a way, I'm happy to change the windscreen as there were several stubborn spots on it after my long drive to Mumbai 3 years ago. Those spots were more discernable after putting the Garware Ice Cool film a couple of years ago.
Old 18th November 2010, 13:42   #197
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear this & Damn, it is frustrating, not only does your NCB go for a toss but they'll load your premium next year as well!
Old 18th November 2010, 13:57   #198
BHPian

Thats bad !
Please update us on the cost and your share and do show us the pictures of the new windscreen.
Old 18th November 2010, 14:49   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Sorry to hear this & Damn, it is frustrating, not only does your NCB go for a toss but they'll load your premium next year as well!
Yep, and I also would need to shell out Rs 2700 for a new sun film by next summer (postponed for now as I am going abroad for 2 months in mid-December)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Thats bad !
Please update us on the cost and your share and do show us the pictures of the new windscreen.
Will certainly do.
Old 19th November 2010, 13:14   #200
Senior - BHPian

Got the car back

I got the car back last evening. The total cost was Rs 9507, out of which I had to shell out Rs 3115 (which includes the Rs 1000 compulsory deductiion for vehicles with more than 1500 CC).

Since it was 1800 hours, I could not ascertain if the job was well done, but it appeared to be so. I had to wait there for nearly an half an hour as the most time-taking task was fixing the mirror on the new windscreen.

Only issue I faced was the increased glare from oncoming headlights on account of the absence of the film that I had gotten used to. Another issue was the the reverse camera mounted on the IRVM had finger prints all over.

But the car was very clean and shining. Even the engine bay was shining. They wanted to charge me Rs 290 or so for Motor care, but having read other posts on this forum, I refused to pay as the task was done without my approval. They immediately waived off that charge.

But this morning, I noticed to issues:-
  1. When I was getting into the car, my wife examined the new windscreen and said the edges appeared to be exposed---especially where the glass meets the roof.
  2. The rear view mirror was on the floor of the car. .
Since I had to reach office, we diverted to the Waggie as I don't like driving without the IRVM. My mood was also a bit off, but I can't blame them for the mirror, as I'd faced this issue before (the weight of the reverse camera mirror used to cause this issue, but it was fixed nicely by Mody Ford earlier).

I reached office and started looking at the windscreens of cars parked. I could spot 2 Fiestas and they seemed similar to what we saw on my car, but I wish I had my car beside me for a proper comparision. I felt slightly relieved after that.

I will take my car to Mody Ford again in the afternoon and get the mirror fixed nice and propah.

A copy of my bill is attached.

DOC008.PDF

Last edited by vnabhi : 19th November 2010 at 13:18.
Old 19th November 2010, 16:11   #201
Team-BHP Support

Abhi, do listen out for any wind noise which may enter the car when driving. It would happen if the work done is not proper. I faced the issue after the windshield was replaced on my car, and made them reapply the adhesive.

This can only be heard at speeds greater than 60 kmph.
Old 19th November 2010, 18:37   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Abhi, do listen out for any wind noise which may enter the car when driving. It would happen if the work done is not proper. I faced the issue after the windshield was replaced on my car, and made them reapply the adhesive.

This can only be heard at speeds greater than 60 kmph.
Good suggestion, Ben! I shall take her for a fast spin tomorrow before I visit the service centre. Fortunately, the 4-lane highway to Nagpur is right next to it.

I'm curious to know how much it cost you to replace the windscreen on the Ikon. I know that it costs around 6500 for the WagonR.
Old 19th November 2010, 18:40   #203
Senior - BHPian

Abhi, Also check for any leaks. Keep out in the open when its raining.
When bhpian RGK got the windshield on his figo replaced they did a bad job. His car was leaking badly.
Old 19th November 2010, 21:09   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Abhi, Also check for any leaks. Keep out in the open when its raining.
When bhpian RGK got the windshield on his figo replaced they did a bad job. His car was leaking badly.
Thanks Captain! I wish it rains in the near future---we've had plenty of rains last week though.

Meantime, my plans to visit the workshop today did not work out, as I dreaded to drive 11 kms amid thick evening traffic without an Internal mirror.
I plan to take it tomorrow, provided the darn bandh does not affect traffic. If not, spending a weekend without driving the car is the most dismal proposition I can imagine!
Old 20th November 2010, 19:53   #205
Senior - BHPian

Here's an update for today...

I got into the car to drive to the workshop and an idea struck me. Why not try to mount the OE mirror on its own without the camera mounted? After all, the gum did seem sticky.

I put it into action and lo behold, it held its line. It did not ditch me till the workshop. The workshop guy promptly put a new sticker and advised me not to mount the camera mirror for a day. I wonder why such stickers are not available in after market shops.

I also got my doubt cleared about the absence of an outer beading around the windscreen----it is similar in all Fiestas, and I took a peek at 3 more to satisfy myself.

As regards the waterproof part, he said they meticulously inspect and even get the car washed after changing the windscreen, and lookout for seepages. My car was washed free of charge when I took delivery. Even the engine was shining becuase of the 'extra care' they had taken

Satisfied with the task done, I then took her for a speedy spin on the Nagpur highway. Even at speeds of 120, everything was fine.

I plan to fix the camera tomorrow. Till then I am holding my breath.

OT: Per the service advisor, the new Fiesta is being launched in March, 2011

Last edited by vnabhi : 20th November 2010 at 19:58.
Old 21st November 2010, 23:07   #206
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys, here are the pics of the new windscreen that I promised to put up:-

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-nov2010-081.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-nov2010-083.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-nov2010-085.jpg

The edge of the windscreen that my wife pointed out:-

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-nov2010-082_paint.jpg

And here are pics of the clean engine bay after their 'motor care' treatment (I must confess I was never able to clean it this good, especially the hose pipe grooves and the radiator grill):-

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-nov2010-078.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-nov2010-079.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-nov2010-080.jpg

As regards the reversing camera, I shall mount it tomorrow.

Last edited by vnabhi : 21st November 2010 at 23:13.
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:09   #207
BHPian

3K + was a costly affiar , aint it? specially since you had an insurance.
But the car looks good now. nice pictures
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:38   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
3K + was a costly affiar , aint it? specially since you had an insurance.
But the car looks good now. nice pictures
Yep it was costly. The main culprit is the Rs 1000 compulsory deduction for every insurance claim for cars over 1500 CC.

I normally clean the engine bay myself every Sunday, but could never get rid of dust on the front grill and on the grooves of the hosepipes. I guess the spray that the dealer uses does the job well.

As regards windscreen film, I guess I will defer it for quite sometime as I plan to procure a GPS from the US, and read somewhere that windscreen film might interfere with the functioning of the Garmin unit.

Does any Fiesta owner have any experience with GPS kits? Suggestions are welcome.
Old 23rd November 2010, 07:45   #209
Senior - BHPian

@vnabhi.

BY motor care treatment did you mean the usual after service car wash or was it the 3M car treatment which is usually available with Ford.

if it was 3M, then kindly let us know the cost and the services included?

BTW the windscreen looks spotlessly clean. Did Ford offer any warranty/guarentee on the new windscreen?
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:19   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@vnabhi.

BY motor care treatment did you mean the usual after service car wash or was it the 3M car treatment which is usually available with Ford.

if it was 3M, then kindly let us know the cost and the services included?

BTW the windscreen looks spotlessly clean. Did Ford offer any warranty/guarentee on the new windscreen?
Thanks @ghodlur. Yes, Ford offered a warranty of 6 months for the new windscreen.

I'm not sure if the correct word was 'motor care' or 'engine care', but they charged Rs 350 approx for it. When I objected stating that it had no relevance to windscreen change and why the task was done without my knowledge, the SA showed me the spotless engine to convince me to cough up the money.

Though I was inclined to pay, I refused on the ground that it was carried out without my approval (remember some other bhpian also had the same complaint--it think it was nairrk). The SA then removed that from the bill and got a new one printed, which I've uploaded in the prior page.

Most Viewed