Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 22:31   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: 5 years with the Ford Fiesta 1.6 sxi ABS & still going Fida

It's been quite some time since I've updated this thread.

The car has completed nearly 27 K on the odo so far, and so far the FE has hovered around 11 to 12 (even this peak summer). I've started adding system g from the last refill, not for FE, but to keep the fuel valves clean.

The only niggle I've recently obsserved is that I'm sometimes getting a muted rattle over rough roads from somewhere near the steering, but despite trial and error, have not been able to pin-point that place.

What confounded me today is that I did not get that sound when I went over the same stretch of road today. Does any other Fiesta owner have any clue? I don't want to take her to the A.S.S as the car was serviced only 2 months ago.
Old 13th May 2011, 12:17   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
It's been quite some time since I've updated this thread.

The car has completed nearly 27 K on the odo so far, and so far the FE has hovered around 11 to 12 (even this peak summer). I've started adding system g from the last refill, not for FE, but to keep the fuel valves clean.

The only niggle I've recently obsserved is that I'm sometimes getting a muted rattle over rough roads from somewhere near the steering, but despite trial and error, have not been able to pin-point that place.

What confounded me today is that I did not get that sound when I went over the same stretch of road today. Does any other Fiesta owner have any clue? I don't want to take her to the A.S.S as the car was serviced only 2 months ago.
These are the fibres parts which keep on "healing". I was fed up of one creaky noise which was conspicious only on way to my office. I could never recreate it when the trial drive was taken with the service advisor.

But they did some packings or used some tape and fixed it. Its not eliminated but it is really tough to find it in a pattern or at a stretch.
It comes up absurdly and stops absurdly and mind it is not at all conspicious for most of the passengers.

The music helps me ignore that now
Old 13th May 2011, 13:02   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
These are the fibres parts which keep on "healing". I was fed up of one creaky noise which was conspicious only on way to my office. I could never recreate it when the trial drive was taken with the service advisor.

But they did some packings or used some tape and fixed it. Its not eliminated but it is really tough to find it in a pattern or at a stretch.
It comes up absurdly and stops absurdly and mind it is not at all conspicious for most of the passengers.

The music helps me ignore that now
Thanks, at least I am not alone!

I'll also check the small compartment below the steering as I remember putting a Swiss knife there---perhaps that could be the culprit.

But that has to wait for a week, as I am going on a vacation from this afternoon. Not driving as I am the sole member, but will join my siblings and their families at Bangalore for a sojourn at Kodai and Munnar.

Cheers!
Old 1st June 2011, 14:31   #229
Senior - BHPian

Folks,
Here is an update on the rattling sound from the dash that cropped up sometimes on rough roads. After I removed the Swiss Knife from the small compartment under the steering wheel, the sound vanished. So now I know the culprit.

The only other niggle is that the driver's window pane rattles a wee bit on rough roads when it is partially open. But this did not take place for the last 3 months due to summer, and the AC being on always.

As far as I remember, it comes up only when the glass is half open, and not when it a quarter open or any other position. I guess resonance is to blame.

I was reading another thread on how a Baleno's battery got drained owing to the boot light remaining on. This reminded me that once I had left the boot in unlocked position for the whole night (pressed the wrong key on the remote). When I realised the next morning, I found the light off, so I thought it had conked off. But when I closed and re-opened the boot, it sprang back to action.

Ford did take care of such carelessness on the part of owners. I have read in the manual that even the cabin lights get switched off after 30 minutes or so. Good job, Ford!
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 15:08   #230
Senior - BHPian

There are quite a few smart things that ford has done. Our Fusion 1.6 power window switch got stuck and guess what. The power system to that motor automatically shut downs after a few seconds and restarts later on so as to save the motor from burning. I ould know this happening due to the small sound that can be heard from the motor.
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 15:15   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
There are quite a few smart things that ford has done. Our Fusion 1.6 power window switch got stuck and guess what. The power system to that motor automatically shut downs after a few seconds and restarts later on so as to save the motor from burning. I ould know this happening due to the small sound that can be heard from the motor.
Golly, I was not aware of that feature. Thanks for sharing.

I also read in a thread, perhaps by Rehan, that the emergency lights in the Fiesta flicker when someone opens any door when the car is in motion. But when I tried doing it by asking my daughter to open the rear door, no such thing happened. Perhaps that was in the earlier models.

Can some other owner confirm?
Old 1st June 2011, 15:45   #232
BHPian

Wow. Nice to know such simple but important features are there in the Fords. Saves a lot of hassles for the owners.
Old 2nd July 2011, 18:06   #233
Senior - BHPian

Here is another update after such a hiatus in time.

Last week, while on my way to office, I had to brake suddenly from a speed of 40 kmph as an Indicab darted across the road at a road junction at Rd # 45, Banjara Hills---a road that is normally devoid of heavy traffic.

My worst fears came true when I heard a mild thud from behind causing my car to jerk a bit. I knew it must have been that crazy Innova that was drifting dangerously behind me for the past 200 metres, trying to overtake by scaring others.

I stepped out, walked upto the Innova driver and asked him what the heck he was doing. He tried to cleverly reverse, but there were two cars behind that prevented him. He looked like an educated guy, and spoke good English. He apologized and said he was in a hurry. He also said that he did not cause any damage.

When I peered at my car's rear, all looked fine. A close look at the bumper revealed a faint line, but that was there before.

This being the case, I walked back and told him he could still be held responsible for tail-gating, but since he was apologetic, I got back to my car.

What irritated me was that he was again swerving to overtake. I let him go as I did not want to spoil my day further.

Despite what happened, I found new-found love for my car's durability.
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:29   #234
Senior - BHPian

Boy, I'm happy to hear there was no damage as such. I realized that the Fiesta rear bumper etc are pretty solid & malleable when I got rear ended quite some time back - most of it just snapped back into place!
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:50   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Boy, I'm happy to hear there was no damage as such. I realized that the Fiesta rear bumper etc are pretty solid & malleable when I got rear ended quite some time back - most of it just snapped back into place!
Yep, I too heaved huge sigh of relief that day, though I put my car to lots of tests (like steerig feel, fast rides, swerving, etc) after that incident to see if the impact fouled with anything. All seem to be fine till now.

I recall that when the car was quite new, a guy on a M800 had rear-ended me at similar speed, but even then there was no damage!

Boy, is she tough!!
Old 29th August 2011, 15:06   #236
Senior - BHPian

Folks,
I've noticed a new issue with my wipers last week. I get a streaking sound from the one right in front of me.

On inspection, I found that the bottom rubber was slightly damaged. I wonder how they could get damaged so fast, as I remember changing them in May 2010 at Ford Service Center. The stock ones lasted me 3 full monsoons.

I remember paying around 600 INR for that set, so I was wondering if I should go for after-market ones. Any suggestions?
Old 31st August 2011, 16:26   #237
Senior - BHPian

Ford stock wiper units are rubbish and over priced for god knows what.

Go for Bosch after market. Try the Aero Twins if budget permits. I have them on my Ikon and they are leagues ahead of any stock wiper unit. My car is always parked in the shade so I won't comment on their longevity under the sun.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 16:31   #238
Senior - BHPian

I cross-checked my bills and discovered that i had paid Rs 400 approx for a set of wipers last April, and not Rs 600.

As to its short life span, I strongly suspect that the drivers of a couple of other Fiestas parked near my car could have swapped mine for theirs. My car cleaner has a habit of leaving the wipers off the glass after cleaning the windscreen, giving them a golden chance to swap quickly.So I will give Ford the benefit of doubt, moreso becuase the original set lasted 3 full monsoons.

Nevertheless, I did not want to go all the way to Mody Ford for just one wiper. So I changed it at a local shop nearby and paid only Rs 200 for a single wiper---of some imported brand. I also discovered that the wiper in front of the driver is longer than the other one---not sure if this is the general setup in all cars
Old 31st August 2011, 17:11   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks,
I've noticed a new issue with my wipers last week. I get a streaking sound from the one right in front of me.

On inspection, I found that the bottom rubber was slightly damaged. I wonder how they could get damaged so fast, as I remember changing them in May 2010 at Ford Service Center. The stock ones lasted me 3 full monsoons.

I remember paying around 600 INR for that set, so I was wondering if I should go for after-market ones. Any suggestions?
Maybe the wipers must have gone bad due to being in contact with the glass esp during the summers when the rubber would get heated, beocme stiff and start cracking. I had faced this issue with the wipers of my Fiesta but was told the above reason, hence had to replace them. IIRC I had paid some where around 400/- too.
Old 31st August 2011, 17:16   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Maybe the wipers must have gone bad due to being in contact with the glass esp during the summers when the rubber would get heated, beocme stiff and start cracking. I had faced this issue with the wipers of my Fiesta but was told the above reason, hence had to replace them. IIRC I had paid some where around 400/- too.

You have a point, @ghodlur. But given the fact that the original set lasted 3 summers and monsoons, even the new set should have held on that long, becuase both were made or marketed by Ford. I think the brand is called Motorcraft.

Most Viewed