Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2016, 22:43   #736
Senior - BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
This was at Ford? Mind sharing bill image please? I was quoted 12+ by A.S.S.
I was curious to know if you could source a '1.6' badge. If yes, please let me know the cost. I also need an alloy wheel cap (small one in the center) that fell off after wheel balancing and rotation.
Old 7th November 2016, 23:24   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I was curious to know if you could source a '1.6' badge. If yes, please let me know the cost. I also need an alloy wheel cap (small one in the center) that fell off after wheel balancing and rotation.
Sir I was trying to PM you previously too but it's not going from mobile app. Can you please PM your number?
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 07:37   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Sir I was trying to PM you previously too but it's not going from mobile app. Can you please PM your number?
Thanks, i got your SMS, but was a tad busy. Please do let me know the cost of the logo and the wheel cap. I'll get in touch with you after that.

I inquired from Metro Ford, Bangalore regarding the wheel cap and he felt a set will cost around Rs 2000! I told him that I'd got a pair from Vibrant Ford a couple of years ago for Rs 370 approximately. He said he'd check and revert, as they apparently didn't have stock.

As regards the Red Injun, I've driven her to Bangalore a couple of weeks back on the blissful Hyderabad-Bangalore highway. It is a pleasure to have the car with me for this assignment of nearly a month, though the work location is only 2 kms away from my service apartment.

The car performed flawlessly, except steering vibration at triple digit speeds. I guess the new rotors installed by Mody Ford a couple of years back (11500 kms ago) are not as good as the ones that came with the car. I'd got the new rotors skimmed in January, and felt improvement after that. But I could not test it under high speeds till now, and it looks like the issue persists.

Instead of going to Ford, I am planning to get them skimmed in some FNG. If anyone from Bangalore can suggest an FNG near Manyata Tech Park, I would be grateful.

Another minor incident that bothered me was that some idiot who'd parked his car in the multi-level car park at Manyata Tech Park left a small,vertical, whitish scratch on my left door by opening his driver's door without care. It happened between 5 pm to 6 pm, during which time I'd left my laptop in the boot and gone to a bank to withdraw cash. The security guy had no clue, as apparently there wasn't any sound. Whatever be the case, I'm sure that nitwit will suffer a similar fate someday. For the present, I plan to live with it, as it doesn't look glaring.

The Red Injun has got 58650 clicks on the odo as of now. In another four months, it will be a decade-old. The car continues to draw a smile from me even today.

Last edited by vnabhi : 13th November 2016 at 07:39.
Old 16th November 2016, 21:25   #739
Senior - BHPian

I had a scary experience this evening while parking my car at my service apartment. As usual, I inspect my car all around before leaving. I noticed a drip mark on the right headlight that looked like bird dropping. I immediately poured water over it and cleaned it with a cloth.

To my horror, the mark just wouldn't go away. It reminded me of acidic water dropping on my car a few years back in my parking spot at home, caused by an overhead drain pipe leaking. I looked up and saw a similar leak. And I was aghast that I had not seen it in the morning before starting, nor at the parking spot in Manyata Park!

I did not want to lose the powerful stock headlamp, so rushed to a nearby denter/ painter I'd spotted in one of my walks. He rescued me by applying polish and buffing the headlamp for nearly 20 minutes, till almost all the scars vanished. I was pretty obliged by his work and have decided to get some scratches painted by him this weekend. Thank God I'd spotted him during my Sunday morning exploratory walk!!

I'll post a review of his work after the painting is done. To those who are interested, he is one Tabrez who has his workshop in Rachenhalli/ Thanisandra. I will PM his number.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 21:59   #740
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to bhpian absynthguzzler, i visited car mechanic Vasu at Kammanahalli/ Banaswadi this afternoon to find out if he could skim the brake rotors. He said he would anyday next week, and needed half a day for the job.

So my plan is to get the brake rotors skimmed next week. Also on the agenda is to get my front bumper painted as it has accumulated quite a few minor hits. Stay tuned for further updates.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 12:45   #741
Senior - BHPian

My month-long stint in Bangalore ended yesterday and I am back to Hyderabad! While in Bangalore, I got the following fixes carried out because I had the Red Injun with me, and I was free on weekends:-
  1. Skimming of front brake rotors. The task took around 3 hours. I left the car with Vasu of Saraswati Motors in Kammanahalli area at 3 pm. He removed the front wheels in my presence and asked me to return after 6 pm, which I did. He took it to a precision-lathe shop and got the warps removed. He said the disks were badly bent, and that he'd got them fixed. He advised me to drive over 60 kmph (traffic permitting) and brake a few times so that the pads would bed in with the newly skimmed rotors. Total cost was 900 bucks.
  2. Repainting of front bumper that had nicks on both sides, left by errant bikers and by my mistake of not braking in time to avoid a pillar in my parking lot. This apart, some nitwit had left a 2-inch vertical scar on my left front door, apparently while opening his car door. I was not a witness to this though. Total cost was Rs 3400. I believe in getting such jobs done once a year, instead of doing them soon after getting the nicks. I find this more pocket-friendly!
Though I didn't get a chance to drive at triple-digit speeds till my return journey yesterday, I found the brakes were not causing any steering vibrations. Even during my high-speed run yesterday on the way home, I had to brake several times to avoid humps and animals. The brakes felt as good as new! I now feel that the money I paid Vasu was worth every penny!

On my return journey, what I immensely enjoyed was despite several sedans and hatchacks chasing me, they just could not keep up with the Red Injun! I guess not many are aware that the Fiesta has a 1.6 petrol motor, apart from the popular 1.4 diesel!! I don't want to mention the speeds I've done, but the icing on the cake was I still got an FE of 14 kmpl!
vnabhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 18:24   #742
BHPian

Hi,

I use a Ford Classic 1.4 TDci, Diesel variant 2014 August Model and I thought of putting a reply on this thread since its all about Fiesta. My Car has done 40000 km till date. Nowadays while applying brakes I feel the vehicle is vibrating a lot compared to earlier days and I know ABS is responsible for the same, but is there any difference in nature as the the car age more? Is it something to do with the brakepads, I can even feel the vibration to my steering as well and will get a bit nervous when I'm applying brakes from high speeds (110s to 140s). Could some one throw some light on how to maintain / service the ABS part in my car. Where I can get it checked for precision in Bangalore. please help.
Old 28th November 2016, 18:40   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Hi,

I use a Ford Classic 1.4 TDci, Diesel variant 2014 ----snip----for precision in Bangalore. please help.
Read the post above yours. That's what you need to get done.
Old 28th November 2016, 18:47   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Read the post above yours. That's what you need to get done.
Hope you are pointing to the following point?

Skimming of front brake rotors. The task took around 3 hours. I left the car with Vasu of Saraswati Motors in Kammanahalli area at 3 pm. He removed the front wheels in my presence and asked me to return after 6 pm, which I did. He took it to a precision-lathe shop and got the warps removed. He said the disks were badly bent, and that he'd got them fixed. He advised me to drive over 60 kmph (traffic permitting) and brake a few times so that the pads would bed in with the newly skimmed rotors. Total cost was 900 bucks.

What could be the reason for skimmed rotors?
Can it be checked and rectified by any good mechanics without affecting the ABS functionality? Asking this because I'm not that keen to visit Ford Dealership maintained service centres. Ultimately my ABS functionality shall not be tampered and affected negatively.
Old 28th November 2016, 19:34   #745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hope you are pointing to the following point?
----snip--@.

What could be the reason for skimmed rotors?
Can it be checked and rectified by any good mechanics without affecting the ABS functionality? Asking this because I'm not that keen to visit Ford Dealership maintained service centres. Ultimately my ABS functionality shall not be tampered and affected negatively.
That's the one.
I don't think ford will skim your rotors/discs. Your discs develop small undulations which cause pulsing and vibrations when the pads try to grip them. This is transferred to your steering wheel. Nothing to do with abs.By skimming them, you'll make the disc even.

Last edited by mayankk : 28th November 2016 at 19:35.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 20:18   #746
BHPian

Quote:
That's the one.
I don't think ford will skim your rotors/discs. Your discs develop small undulations which cause pulsing and vibrations when the pads try to grip them. This is transferred to your steering wheel. Nothing to do with abs.By skimming them, you'll make the disc even.
So from this, what I understood is basically its time to changes the rotors? say if we cannot get it skimmed and any idea on the cost associated a rotor? Do I need to get all 4 changed?
Old 28th November 2016, 20:23   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
My month-long stint in Bangalore ended yesterday and I am back to Hyderabad! While in Bangalore, I got the following fixes carried out because I had the Red Injun with me, and I was free on weekends:-...I still got an FE of 14 kmpl!
Can you help me with the contact details of the mechanic (Saraswati motors)?
And also the skimmed rotors are dependable for how many more kms till we change it?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th January 2017 at 21:14. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts when replying. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
Old 28th November 2016, 20:27   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

So from this, what I understood is basically its time to changes the rotors? say if we cannot get it skimmed and any idea on the cost associated a rotor? Do I need to get all 4 changed?
I think it's OK to get the disc skimmed a few times. There are some tolerances. There are only two discs, front. Rear is drums.
Last I changed my discs, it cost me about 5k for both
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 20:41   #749
BHPian

Quote:
I think it's OK to get the disc skimmed a few times. There are some tolerances. There are only two discs, front. Rear is drums.
Last I changed my discs, it cost me about 5k for both
Yeah you are right, rear are drums only. So its safe to do the skimming right? and it will not affect any ABS functionality and also it will be safe right?
Old 28th November 2016, 21:16   #750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yeah you are right, rear are drums only. So its safe to do the skimming right? and it will not affect any ABS functionality and also it will be safe right?
Yes, it's safe.
No, it won't affect your ABS. If you're really paranoid, then you can go a full disc and pad replacement, but that is the ASC way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks