Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 17:20   #241
BHPian

re: 5 years with the Ford Fiesta 1.6 sxi ABS & still going Fida

I got a set of original Bosch wipers for Rs. 350 from the Bosch outlet opp Arty Sailing Club. MRP on the pack was Rs. 300 though. They work quite well, but can't comment on the longevity as I've been using them since only a few months ago.
Old 31st August 2011, 17:21   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
You have a point, @ghodlur. But given the fact that the original set lasted 3 summers and monsoons, even the new set should have held on that long, becuase both were made or marketed by Ford. I think the brand is called Motorcraft.
I dont recall the brand coz in my case one of the wiper was not moving the entire sweep distance, some issue with the motor and was rectified by the Ford service. I think I had got them replaced during one of the services pre monsoon this year.
Old 1st September 2011, 15:57   #243
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, flying is for the aged. However kids these days seem to be fascinated by it, as perhaps they have not flown enough.

As regards mile munching, I'll surely give it a shot---but your diesel car perhaps justifies the big number you have munched so far.

Regards keeping the car, yes, I do plan to keep her for a few more years. If you look at the past cars I've owned, you'll understand: Maruti 800 for 12 years; WagonR for 10 years and still with me.

Perhaps I'll settle for 12 years as the benchmark.

My ford fiesta 1.6 zxi has done 60k & its a dream to drive, just got new tyres set of four, apollo acelere 185/60 r14. The ride quality seems to have marginally improved. hope to see more miles on my ford.
Old 1st September 2011, 16:05   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidaford View Post
My ford fiesta 1.6 zxi has done 60k & its a dream to drive, just got new tyres set of four, apollo acelere 185/60 r14. The ride quality seems to have marginally improved. hope to see more miles on my ford.
Wow, thats a great running you have there for your ride. Did the OEM tyres last this long or was a tyre change done already prior to this one. Which make were the tyres recently changed and what deal did you get?

Wish you many more happy mile cruching and drive safely.
Old 1st September 2011, 18:07   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, that is a huge number . How old is the car?

And why did you go for Apollo? I plan to change to Michelin XM1 or Yokohama or Bridgestone when i cross 40 K on the odo. The stock MRFs are ok, but don't have a good grip.
Old 1st September 2011, 18:38   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ from what I have heard,Apollo Acceleres are the best trade-off between money and performance
Old 1st September 2011, 19:21   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ from what I have heard,Apollo Acceleres are the best trade-off between money and performance
I would second what Vnabhi said. The Michelins XM1+ are better than the Apollo Aceleres over performance and cost. I can vouch on that since I had got them during the delivery in place of stock MRF tyres.
Old 1st September 2011, 19:24   #248
Senior - BHPian

That's news to me. I am wary of stock tyres offered by most manufacturers like MRF, Apollo, JK, Goodyear, etc.

I was lucky to get Bridgestones on my WagonR, which held out very well, and I went in for the same brand when the odo was 46500 kms, but the tubeless variety.

I would have changed the stock tyres on my Fiesta on day 1, but alas, I was not a member of this forum and did not have that knowledge.
Old 22nd September 2011, 23:33   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, that is a huge number . How old is the car?

And why did you go for Apollo? I plan to change to Michelin XM1 or Yokohama or Bridgestone when i cross 40 K on the odo. The stock MRFs are ok, but don't have a good grip.

The car is 2008 NOV Make, I did not have much knowledge about the tyres so I thought my i20 has apollo acelere which give good ride quality thats the reason i went in for apollo, MRF tyres which came with the car lasted 55k, only issue being repeated punctures & no tread at all !
Overall love the way still drives, except handbrake cable rattling noise it still feels like new, also the paint quality.
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:51   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is 2008 NOV Make, I did not have much knowledge about the tyres so I thought my i20 has apollo acelere which give good ride quality thats the reason i went in for apollo, MRF tyres which came with the car lasted 55k, only issue being repeated punctures & no tread at all !
Overall love the way still drives, except handbrake cable rattling noise it still feels like new, also the paint quality.
One of the few issues I've had so far relate to a squeaky noise near the rear right wheel. The culprit was quickly identified by an experienced S.A. as the handbrake cable. It needed to be greased, and after that there are no issues with the car for the past 2 years.
I wonder why your handbrake cable rattles. Why don't you get it fixed?

As regards paint quality, one of my colleagues, who'd bought an Indigo at the same time, commented that my car looks brand new even now. That comment took me to cloud 9 on that day!
Old 7th October 2011, 12:58   #251
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

I need advice on wheel balancing. My Fiesta has completed 28700 kms on the odo, and the last time I'd got the wheels balanced and aligned was after a 5-wheel rotation, when the odometer was a little over 16300 kms. That was the second wheel rotation for the car, the first being at 8200 kms, but the first one was a 4-wheel rotation, a short-cut adopted by the dealer for which I'd taken them to task.

Owing to the above, the front tyres currently have run over 28700 kms, like the right rear. It is the rear left tyre that has run only 12400 kms so far (it was the stepney till the 5-wheel rotation at 16300 kms)

So my questions to you guys are:-
  1. Whether it is the right time to go for another 5-wheel rotation, coupled with balancing and alignment. The car has completed 12400 kms since the last rotation. I did take it for a fast drive on the Outer Ring Road yesterday with 4 adults and a kid. The car was rock steady at 160 kmph, and there was no wobble on the steering, nor was it pulling to one side.
  2. If yes, then whether it is good to have the tyres that have run fewer kms on the front . For example, my left rear (12400 on the odo) will go to the front right, and the stepney (16300 on the odo) will go to the front left. Consequently, the front right will now be the rear left, and the rear right goes as the stepney.
  3. Whether tyre dealers are reliable for this task, or is Ford A.S.S. advisable? I know that tyre dealers charge less, and have done a good job on my Waggie.
Thanks in advance.
Old 19th October 2011, 22:27   #252
Senior - BHPian

While getting my wheel rotation done last week, I could take a few shots of the front and rear rims, as below.

I suppose that bit of rust on either wheel is normal, or is it something I should be concerned about?

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-front-wheel.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-rear-wheel1.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-rear-wheel2.jpg

I also took my car to an FNG to get it washed thoroughly on the same day, as the rainy season was almost over. The car looks pristine now.

The FNG also vacuumed the interiors and cleaned the door pads and carpet. He said there was no need for interior treatment on the roof and sides as it was quite ok.

The only thing I am looking for now is a good alloy wheel shiner. The stock alloys have lost some of their glistening looks, and I am not sure how to restore the shine again.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

I also took the car for a team-bhp Hydeez drive on Sunday on the Bangalore highway, and it was a golden opportunity to test the efficacy of the wheel balancing and alignment. I am happy to say that even at speeds of 160 kmph, there was no wobble at all.

With the odo nearing 30 K in the past 4.5 years, the car still draws a smile from me whenever I drive her.

Below are few pictures from the drive meet.

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-dsc_0465.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-dsc_0466.jpg
Old 19th October 2011, 22:39   #253
BHPian

A little rust is not something you should be concerned about. Its there even on brand new cars thats been left in the open. You have a well maintained car. Looks good.
Old 20th October 2011, 08:31   #254
Senior - BHPian

As Unni rightly said a little bit of rust is nothing to worry about. I just read your previous post, looks like you have been doing the WA/WB at not so regular intervals. Would it not be better to get them done twice a year, thats what I do. Also I get the tyre rotation done during the same time. My schedule is just before the monsoons in May end and in Nov end.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that the car puts a smile on your face everytime you drive it.
Old 20th October 2011, 10:41   #255
Senior - BHPian

hey all fiesta friends,
going through fiesta posts after a long time, as asked by vnabhi, shall i also go for wheel balancing, i have not got it done till now, my fiesta has covered around 16k

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks