Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 13:43   #286
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
Guys

Here is an update on the Engine system/ drive train warning light.

Even after the car was checked in mid-December, the light used to come on around 80% of the early morning cold starts, but vanish on second start! And the car would drive normally always, including high revvs and high speed runs (touched even 180 once)

As the car was scanned only recently, I tried the following permutations:-
[*]Starting early morning when the car was with full tank of fuel[*]Half tank of fuel[*]Minimal fuel (DTE around 120 kms)[*]Starting the car for the first time, not in the morning, but late evening.None of the above had any effect on the light coming on during cold starts: it would still come on most of the time. But vanish on second start Therefore I thought it fit to call my SA and speak to him. He asked me to bring the car over on any weekday for another inspection. But I told him that I would have the leave the car overnight, as the light comes on only during early morning cold starts, and does not come on after that.

He also told me not to switch off the engine and see if the light persists. I tried and found that even if I left the engine running for 2 minutes, the light would still glow. But the magical disappearance on second start was always the trend.

Sheer laziness prevented me from visiting the A.S.S. But mysteriously, the light has not come on for the past 10 days. I am not sure if this is due to the increase in outside temperature. It used to be 20 to 22 Degrees earlier, but nowadays it is 24 to 27.

I'd be glad if other Fiesta owners update this thread on how this problem got sorted out on their cars. I do know that a couple of them had their throttle body replaced under warranty, and another couple had their throttle bodies cleaned.
Hi,

I live in delhi and temperature here is lower and have never faced such a problem. However i sometimes notice that during cold starts, the check engine light does get lit but goes off in a couple of seconds after starting the car.

Have you got the car diagnosed using OBD ?
Old 15th February 2012, 14:18   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 5 years with the Ford Fiesta 1.6 sxi ABS & still going Fida

I'm also facing this Exclamation mark light going on during cold starts in the morning. There will be no response to throttle input when the light is on. On second crank the light goes off.

Seems I have to take the car to the service station.

Mine is a 2009-Dec Fiesta 1.6L P ZXi done 19K Kms.
Old 15th February 2012, 14:52   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Hi,

I live in delhi and temperature here is lower and have never faced such a problem. However i sometimes notice that during cold starts, the check engine light does get lit but goes off in a couple of seconds after starting the car.

Have you got the car diagnosed using OBD ?
If the light goes off along with all other lights, then there is nothing to worry about. In my case, all lights would go out after starting the car, but in about 5 seconds the exclamation mark light would come on. I observed that it comes on after I mildly press and release the throttle, when the car is still stationary.

Thankfully it has vanished for the past 2 weeks. Yes, i did get my car scanned in mid-December when the car was serviced, and they said it showed some kind of wiring error. They erased the memory after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I'm also facing this Exclamation mark light going on during cold starts in the morning. There will be no response to throttle input when the light is on. On second crank the light goes off.

Seems I have to take the car to the service station.

Mine is a 2009-Dec Fiesta 1.6L P ZXi done 19K Kms.
This looks like a winter symptom of all petrol Fiestas. No harm in getting the car scanned by Ford A.S.S.
Old 15th February 2012, 16:13   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
This looks like a winter symptom of all petrol Fiestas. No harm in getting the car scanned by Ford A.S.S.
Didn't occur last winter. Should check it out at the Service Centre.
Old 15th February 2012, 22:05   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Didn't occur last winter. Should check it out at the Service Centre.
Well, for me it did not occur for the last 3 winters. This is the first time.

Do keep us updated with the developments. All the best to you!
Old 16th February 2012, 13:04   #291
BHPian

Anyways the throttle body of my fiesta has got replaced under warranty by SC ford.

I have noticed one thing during the problem stage as If I accelerate immediately to rpm level around 3K on starting the car , the exclamation mark warning light didn't appeared.
rapideffect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 14:25   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapideffect View Post
Anyways the throttle body of my fiesta has got replaced under warranty by SC ford.

I have noticed one thing during the problem stage as If I accelerate immediately to rpm level around 3K on starting the car , the exclamation mark warning light didn't appeared.
Thanks for the hint---I'd have tried it had I known earlier. But was your problem also during wintery early morning starts?
Old 20th February 2012, 11:44   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the hint---I'd have tried it had I known earlier. But was your problem also during wintery early morning starts?
Yes my problem too happened during this winter.
rapideffect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 13:28   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapideffect View Post
Yes my problem too happened during this winter.
Thanks for the confirmation. It is good that your car was under warranty.

In my case, I'm heaving a sigh of relief that the symptom vanished on its own.

The winter effect is only a hypothesis, but at least 3 of us have had this symptom only in winter.

The only other possibility is that the IOC bunk I always visit had some bad quality of petrol in December and January, but that is bleak. I fill up my Waggie also there and there was no issue with it---of course the Waggie only has an engine system warning light and not the one with the exclamation mark.
Old 21st February 2012, 11:35   #295
Senior - BHPian

I got another surprise yesterday evening when I stopped at the IOC bunk to fuel up on my return from work. I was surprised to see my headlights were on. It was around 545 pm. I looked at the switch and it was in off position. I got out of the car and went to the front and did see the lights on, but the ones at the rear and the ones on the dash were not on.

I pinched myself to check I was not having dreams! After tanking up, I started the car, switched the headlights on (the dash and rear lights also came on), pulled the stalk to switch to high-beam and then to low beam, and then switched off the lights.

To my relief, all lights went off. I tried once again on reaching home---also switched on the front fogs, got out of the car to check, then the rear fogs, checked again, switched fogs off, checked, put only parking lights on, checked, and then switched off. Everything seemed to work fine.

I repeated the rigmarole today, and all seems ok. I wonder what the issue was. I was really perplexed yesterday.
Old 21st February 2012, 11:42   #296
Senior - BHPian

Lol!! What's happening with your car Venu sir ?
Looks like it's getting into different moods on its own. I am wondering what would have happened to make headlights switch on, on it's own?
Glad that everything is fine now
BTW what is the odo reading now ?
Old 21st February 2012, 11:48   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Looks like it's getting into different moods on its own.
Looks like the car is itself experiencing some mood swings. Time to pamper the beast Venu sir, I guess it is sensing your neglection.

Was the switch knob fully rested in the close position, might have been midway somewhere? Did you get the Beep beep sound when you switched off the car with the head lamps. I think this might have been the contacts issues of the switch knob.
Old 21st February 2012, 12:03   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol!! What's happening with your car Venu sir ?
Looks like it's getting into different moods on its own. I am wondering what would have happened to make headlights switch on, on it's own?
Glad that everything is fine now
BTW what is the odo reading now ?
I do remember checking if the light switch was off by trying to turn it anti-clockwise, but it would not turn, and hence that might not have been the culprit. Could it have been the left stalk that we sometimes pull to flash lights on to warn oncoming traffic? Sure beats me !

The odo is around 30900 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Looks like the car is itself experiencing some mood swings. Time to pamper the beast Venu sir, I guess it is sensing your neglection.

Was the switch knob fully rested in the close position, might have been midway somewhere? Did you get the Beep beep sound when you switched off the car with the head lamps. I think this might have been the contacts issues of the switch knob.
Nope, there were no beeps when I exited the car. I think I'll visit Ford A.S.S soon and have the car scanned for wiring---their scan in December when I had the Engine warning light issue did report some kind of wiring error.

I wish Mody Ford had a center on the western side of Hyd, as that is where most of the IT crowd works. I am simply lazy to drive eastwards from home to the existing center at Mudfort, Secunderabad.

Last edited by vnabhi : 21st February 2012 at 12:04.
Old 21st February 2012, 12:33   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wish Mody Ford had a center on the western side of Hyd, as that is where most of the IT crowd works. I am simply lazy to drive eastwards from home to the existing center at Mudfort, Secunderabad.
Venu Sir, time for you to check out another Ford A.S.S.
Try out the Tolichowki Fortune Ford service centre. It is good as far as my experiences go.
It would be on your way too, if you decide to take the Tolichowki route.
Old 21st February 2012, 12:53   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Venu Sir, time for you to check out another Ford A.S.S.
Try out the Tolichowki Fortune Ford service centre. It is good as far as my experiences go.
It would be on your way too, if you decide to take the Tolichowki route.
Thanks for the suggestion, Manish. Having built rapport with a couple of SAs in Mody Ford, I am a wee bit reluctant to try a new center. I'll not hesitate to use the one you suggested in an emergency, however.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks