Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 22:08   #466
Senior - BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

I got Ashoka to do the WA and WB done when I changed the tyres on my Figo and Fiesta. He charges a nominal amount when we buy tyres. I'm not sure of his normal charges for WA/WB.

He did a good job on the Figo, but not on the Fiesta. Suresh Wheels charges Rs 600 approx for the Fiesta and 500 for the WagonR. He was quite good. Another agency is Wheelocity behind Auchan at Somajiguda, who does a good job. His charges are around the same. Since he is nearer, I'll get it done from him this time. I've already got the Figo and WagonR done by him a couple of months ago.

I've never visited Mohan Chandra, who Avinash raves about. He is too far for me.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 11:29   #467
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to bhpians Autotranny and mobike008, who have exceptional skills in photography, I could get a couple of pictures of the Red Injun from the recent drive meet we had last Sunday.

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-fiesta-drive-meet.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-fiesta-nov-2013.jpg

The car however needs a small touch up on the rear left door for a small scratch that is 8 inches long, and also some denting on the rear bumper that has taken several hits over the past few years.
Old 10th January 2014, 15:10   #468
Senior - BHPian

It's been nearly two months and I've been lazy to update this thread. Nothing much to report except that the car has munched 43500 kms so far, and continues to delight me every time I take her for a spin. In a couple of months, it will complete its 7th birthday.

The dreaded engine warning light has not surfaced this winter, despite temperatures dipping to 15 deg C. I've had those symptoms around 4 or 5 times in the winters of 2011 and 2012. Looks like it self-healed itself! Or perhaps a tankful of 97 Octane fuel a couple of months back indirectly helped in cleaning the throttle body! Whatever the reason, I'm pretty happy.

The only niggle so far is a minor rattle from the right door locking lever/ power windows switches area that I've not been able to pinpoint so far. It can be heard only when the AC is off and on slightly rough roads. And another minor issue is that the gear needs an extra nudge while slotting from 2nd to 3rd, but only a slight nudge. Is there anything I need to change to get it back to earlier smoothness?
Old 10th January 2014, 19:08   #469
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
And another minor issue is that the gear needs an extra nudge while slotting from 2nd to 3rd, but only a slight nudge. Is there anything I need to change to get it back to earlier smoothness?
Why don't you change the transmission oil if you have not changed it!

Just a doubt - is there any possibility to lubricate the gear rod movement or the gates in which it gets slot? If yes, try the lubrication.

Anurag
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 19:58   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why don't you change the transmission oil if you have not changed it!

Just a doubt - is there any possibility to lubricate the gear rod movement or the gates in which it gets slot? If yes, try the lubrication.

Anurag
All oils are changed as per service schedule. Ford A.S.S is pretty good. I remember that they'd changed some small part on the gear lever 2 years back, but it looks like that part is again wearing out. Not a major concern, but I have a Figo to compare, hence my post.

But compared to my WagonR, the gears are buttery smooth.

Last edited by vnabhi : 10th January 2014 at 20:02.
Old 10th January 2014, 20:16   #471
BANNED

Quote:

All oils are changed as per service schedule. Ford A.S.S is pretty good. I remember that they'd changed some small part on the gear lever 2 years back, but it looks like that part is again wearing out. Not a major concern, but I have a Figo to compare, hence my post.

But compared to my WagonR, the gears are buttery smooth.
Lol but not fair to compare the WagonR (7 years old) with a Figo and Fiesta.

Are the rest gears slotting normally?

Anurag.
Old 11th January 2014, 11:17   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol but not fair to compare the WagonR (7 years old) with a Figo and Fiesta.

Are the rest gears slotting normally?

Anurag.
Yes, all gears are slotting butter smooth. Only 2nd to 3rd is smooth, but not 'butter-smooth'. Get the picture?

BTW, the WagonR is 12.5 years old, not 7. The Fiesta completes 7 in March, while the Figo is 1 year 3 months old. But despite its age, the Waggie's gears are still not smooth. For example, 4th to 5th requires quite a lateral tug to the right even now! The new models do not have this issue though.
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:10   #473
Senior - BHPian

Every January, i brace myself to see if Red Injun will throw any surprises. Yes, on Jan 1st 2012, the 6-CD ICE got jammed. And in Jan 2013 the reverse gear switch packed up. Both have been mentioned on this thread.

This January seemed to be passing off peacefully, but lo behold, there was indeed something amiss last week. I found the central wheel cap on my front right tyre missing, and a gaping hole in its place. I found that even the one on my left front wheel was faded. I thereafter asked the car cleaner to be gentle. I guess the missing one might have fallen off. Or did someone steal it?

A colleauge with a Figo also wanted one . So we rang up Mody Ford. We both were shocked when they quoted a figure of Rs 1200 a piece! I made sure they understood the part we were seeking and that it was not a wheel cap for steel wheels. Despite that he said he was sure.

I hung up asking "is it made of gold"?

I was deeply anguished with that information and started scouting for local options. Only Ashoka Wheels had some, but generic ones without Ford logo, which cost Rs 250 a piece. This was over phone, and I did not get to see them.

Out of curiosity, I rang up Vibrant Ford, the other dealer. They confirmed they have stock and said it cost only Rs 250 per piece approx. I was delighted and rushed to them this morning. It took them half an hour to prepare a job card and replace two. The price for two was only Rs 348.No fitting charges!

So overall, I am delighted with the turn of events. Next time I visit Mody Ford,I'll give them a mouthful.

Here's a picture of that 'infamous' part.

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-1390462709_tmp_wheelcapfiesta.png

Last edited by vnabhi : 23rd January 2014 at 13:12.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 14:38   #474
BHPian

Quote:
It's been nearly two months and I've been lazy to update this thread. Nothing much to report except that the car has munched 43500 kms so far, and continues to delight me every time I take her for a spin. In a couple of months, it will complete its 7th birthday.

The dreaded engine warning light has not surfaced this winter, despite temperatures dipping to 15 deg C. I've had those symptoms around 4 or 5 times in the winters of 2011 and 2012. Looks like it self-healed itself! Or perhaps a tankful of 97 Octane fuel a couple of months back indirectly helped in cleaning the throttle body! Whatever the reason, I'm pretty happy.
I think our cars are pretty much twins, except for the color probably, I am at around 48K. Even the problems seem to be similar . This winter,starting December, the "Check Engine Light" comes up every now and then, there is no pattern to it. But, if I switch-off the engine and start again, it goes off. I recently got it serviced in Nov, so reluctant to send her back. I was more leaning towards a malfunctioning sensor or loose connection. Did you happen to find the cause yet?
Old 5th February 2014, 15:47   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jha.shailesh View Post
I think our cars are pretty much twins, except for the color probably, I am at around 48K. Even the problems seem to be similar . This winter,starting December, the "Check Engine Light" comes up every now and then, there is no pattern to it. But, if I switch-off the engine and start again, it goes off. I recently got it serviced in Nov, so reluctant to send her back. I was more leaning towards a malfunctioning sensor or loose connection. Did you happen to find the cause yet?
No, I did not face the issue this winter. If you scroll though this thread, you'll find a few more owners have had this issue last year. Some had their throttle body changed under warranty, but that is too expensive if the car is out of warranty. I guess it is some dirty sensor in the throttle body that causes this issue, but I don't know why it happens only in winter.

I feel replacing throttle body to solve this issue is like buying a new rim and tyre to fix a small puncture.

While on this, I got my car water washed at a local FNG last Friday. I noticed the guy spraying high pressure water into the open engine bay, and he did it before I could stop him. I was wondering if I'll have any surprises. The car worked fine and was resting at home over the weekend.

On Monday, when I cranked the starter, the motor felt sluggish. I tried cranking another 2 times for 5 seconds each, but it still did not start. So I tried the full throttle method, and it did start, phew! I drove the full 14 kms to office without switching it off at signals, and without AC, just to see the battery is not strained. On reaching office, it started with a single crank. It did so in the evening too. So I wonder what went wrong. The battery is an Amaron of June 2012 vintage.

I guess the water from the spray wash might have loosened some contacts, and things might have got set right on drying. Any guesses?
Old 5th February 2014, 16:29   #476
BANNED

Quote:
While on this, I got my car water washed at a local FNG last Friday. I noticed the guy spraying high pressure water into the open engine bay

On reaching office, it started with a single crank. It did so in the evening too. So I wonder what went wrong. The battery is an Amaron of June 2012 vintage.

I guess the water from the spray wash might have loosened some contacts, and things might have got set right on drying. Any guesses?
You have answered your own doubt sirjee

The water could have entered the HT wires or moisture around spark plugs or starter motor wiring which will get evaporated once the engine heats up which did and when you reached office and tried switching it ON, it worked as normal.

Generally water spraying is not advisable for the engine bay.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 10:14   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have answered your own doubt sirjee

The water could have entered the HT wires or moisture around spark plugs or starter motor wiring which will get evaporated once the engine heats up which did and when you reached office and tried switching it ON, it worked as normal.

Generally water spraying is not advisable for the engine bay.

Anurag.
Looks like our suspicion is right. Everything normal with the battery over the past two weeks. The car is running great, just as it was when it was new.

Actually I visited Amaron at Lakdikapul on the same day, but some VIP was passing, so cops did not allow me to park in front of the shop.

Now that things are normal, I think I'll visit that place whenever I happen to go to that area for some other reason.
Old 11th March 2014, 22:45   #478
Senior - BHPian

In another 3 days, the Red Injun will complete 7 years of exciting ownership, which has by and large been niggle-free, save few minor issues. I shall post a complete picture of its maintenance and running costs when I get time, if I've not already done so.

The car still reminds me of the catchy line "make everyday exciting". It continues to amaze me despite its age. I just cannot think of parting with her, and if that ever were to happen, would be very painful.

Here's a picture of the miles munched that was taken last week. I am eager for another long drive, but alas, conflicting family schedules is keeping that plan at bay.

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-wp_20140307_003.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 18:01   #479
Senior - BHPian

The Fiesta came into my hands exactly 7 years ago, going by the timing of this post( including hours and approximate minutes). One of my proudest acquisitions till date!

I returned this morning from a whirlwind trip to Goa, and what could be a better sight than to see the gleaming car parked in the airport bay since early morning yesterday? For a parking fee of Rs 500 for 1.5 days, and an approximate fuel cost of around 450 INR, the total cost was less than Rs 1000! An early morning taxi one way would have cost me that much!

Total miles crunched in 7 years stands at 44565! Eagerly looking forward to the 1 lac mark, though that may take years.
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 15:50   #480
Senior - BHPian

I just checked up my prior posts and found that post # 462 has a break up of maintenance costs incurred so far. Hence I thought it is better to post specifically about any part failures or unusual issues in the past 7 years, that can be used to figure out how reliable or not the car has been.

Here they are:-
  1. AC fan motor failed in April 2009, soon after initial warranty of 2 years expired. The car had run around 15000 kms by then. The part was replaced free under extended warranty, and would have cost me around 4000 rupees otherwise.
  2. Left left window motor was replaced free in the same year as the original one was not going down smoothly. Actually it was working fine when operated by the driver, but not smoothly when operated from the rear door. I don't remember how much it would have cost me had I not taken extended warranty.
  3. Power steering hose was replaced free of cost as a goodwill gesture thought EW had lapsed. This was in December 2011 with around 30000 clicks on the odo. It would have set me back by 5000 rupees.
  4. Reverse gear switch was replaced for Rs 1121 in Jan 2013 with the odo around 37000 kms.
  5. Two central caps for alloys were replaced a couple of months ago for Rs 350 approximately.
Note: I've not included normal wear-and-tear changes like battery and tyre changes in the list above, as those are common to all cars.

Going by the items above, I firmly believe that the car has largely been niggle-free and that it is holding out great despite its age.

Thanks for your patience.

Last edited by vnabhi : 17th March 2014 at 15:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks