Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2015, 07:45   #556
BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

Thanks vnabhi, I have followed the heat emission near the bonnet on my Ikon, Aveo and Vento but the smell is perplexing. It is the smell of a red hot metal in a forge shop and irritates me. I stand beside the car after a drive I can get it. I have always driven in recirculation mode in all cars as the roads here are very dusty and when I need to let some fresh air in I open up the windows a crack for a few minutes. Even then some of this smell is permeating into the cabin on a hot afternoon. It may be the coatings on components of the new engine that are burning in the heat and I hope it goes away soon as I can't drive it much in the summer temperatures in this condition.
Old 16th March 2015, 12:15   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepak K Gupta View Post
. It is the smell of a red hot metal in a forge shop and irritates me. I stand beside the car after a drive I can get it. It may be the coatings on components of the new engine that are burning in the heat and I hope it goes away soon as I can't drive it much in the summer temperatures in this condition.
I don't remember getting this smell when my car was new, and I bought it at the advent of summer. Please do get your car checked by Ford A.S.S.

Perhaps it could be the underbody coating, but I am only guessing.
Old 16th March 2015, 15:08   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I don't remember getting this smell when my car was new, and I bought it at the advent of summer. Please do get your car checked by Ford A.S.S.

Perhaps it could be the underbody coating, but I am only guessing.
Just been to Ford for my second free service. Those guys can't find anything. I think is is the smell of the plastics in the engine compartment which are heating up and smelling. They are not good plastics as they were probably when you bought your car. Even the dashboard plastic still smells when the front heats up in traffic and sunlight. I just have to bear it out till the plastics harden with heat and kills the smell.
Deepak K Gupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 15:13   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepak K Gupta View Post
They are not good plastics as they were probably when you bought your car. Even the dashboard plastic still smells when the front heats up in traffic and sunlight.
I own a 2012 Classic 1.6 Clxi. Plastics in our cars should be of similar quality. I never faced any such foul smell issue. I suspect some particular part is getting heated and hence the small.
Old 16th March 2015, 15:27   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDodo View Post
I own a 2012 Classic 1.6 Clxi. Plastics in our cars should be of similar quality. I never faced any such foul smell issue. I suspect some particular part is getting heated and hence the small.
Can't locate the source in the engine bay. Everything is so hot. But the dash plastic smell is confirmed by ASS and Ford India representative who was deputed to check out. Maybe in the past 2 years the quality has changed. Mine is 2014 Sep.
Old 16th May 2015, 18:00   #561
Senior - BHPian

Over the last 3 Fridays, I've been getting invitations for a free summer camp at Vibrant Ford, Sanat Nagar. I did avail one a month back for the Figo, and realized that it was a great way to get the car cleaned and vacuumed, apart from discovering potential issues. I did get my front brake pads changed in the Figo at that time.

However, I was a bit reluctant to spend 3 hours there, hence could not make it till today. As expected, there were plenty of cars, as it was a Saturday. It took around 20 mintues for the Service Advisor to meet me, though I was indeed enjoying their AC lounge, and chatting with a team-bhp admirer who owned a Fiesta 1.5 petrol automatic.

When the SA took the car, I specifically told him that my car had undergone a full service only 2400 kms back, and told him that the suspension and fluids did not need a thorough check. I only told him to check the underbody, the power steering and get the car washed. He noted those down and obliged. However, he did also give me an inspection chart that showed that he'd also checked the other items like brakes, tyres, etc. Everything was found to be in order, and the car was returned spick and span after 2 hours. Not only he, but also the automatic Fiesta owner expressed their admiration of the Red Injun when they realized it was more than 8 years old!

Here are a few pictures of the underbody:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-wp_20150516_0021.jpg

The oil sump, lower arm, strut, drive shaft boot, etc look fine:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-wp_20150516_0041.jpg

The SA opening the gear cable coupling box to spray something for lubrication:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-wp_20150516_0031.jpg

Total odo reading as of today : 49840 kms. Hoping to hit the half century mark when I have guests in the coming week. The Red Injun will have to make few airport runs ferrying a full load of passengers. It the guests are in a mood, it might also take them to Srisailam or Nagarjunasagar.
Old 26th May 2015, 17:47   #562
Senior - BHPian

The Red Injun has munched some miles in the last few days, though all trips were local. The odo today stands at 50156. My guests were very thrilled that despite 5 adults in the car (6 at one time), the car was still peppy to drive, and had decent boot space to place all their baggage.

But during an airport run this afternoon, I suspected something amiss with the AC cooling. During waits at traffic junctions, the people in the rear seat complained that cooling was not good, and even in the front we felt the same. But on the move, it did improve, though it was far from perfect. The temperature needle was in the center position, so there could be nothing wrong with the AC fan motor. I wonder what could be causing the issue. Suggestions are welcome. I'll get it checked soon by Ford A.S.S, but I wished this issue had surfaced earlier, as I was on leave till today.

That apart, even the F.E. seems to have dropped, as the kms driven and DTE together indicate a reading of 9 kmpl, while it should have been 12+, considering the good roads I'd driven on. I'll get to know tomorrow when i tank up. But this time, I did not switch off the AC at traffic junctions , despite long waits, owing to the 45 degress heat here.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 18:24   #563
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to mention that the AC of my Figo works like a charm, and it is good that I have another Ford to compare with. Even the WagonR's AC seems to be cooling better than the Fiesta's.

Any idea if the gas could have leaked? Or could it be the infamous evaporator coil issue? I wonder what the symptoms are.
Old 27th May 2015, 11:08   #564
Senior - BHPian

Surprisingly, the AC worked fine while driving to work this morning, though it did appear to be slightly weak. This has left me perplexed. But during my drive, I got a call from Ford eliciting feedback for the free service camp by Vibrant Ford a couple of weeks ago.

i have them good feedback, but also mentioned about this AC issue. I said that I'd asked the SA to check only the power steering and get the car washed, as I did not want to wait for 3 hours. But the SA gave me a document that showed that he'd checked the AC, brakes and other systems also and found them to be in order. I said I don't blame Vibrant Ford, but at least they could have tested things properly before giving an all-green report on the AC.

Let me see how things turn out. I will also refill today and find out if the DTE indicated figure of 9 kmpl is indeed correct.
Old 27th May 2015, 12:30   #565
BHPian

Did your car go through a thorough wash with loads of water in the morning before the airport drive?
M5_fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 13:25   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Did your car go through a thorough wash with loads of water in the morning before the airport drive?
Nope, the last thorough wash was in Vibrant Ford a couple of weeks ago. Else it is only cleaned daily by the cleaner with a moist cloth.

I suspect gas leakage or the infamous cooling coil issue. I'm also not sure if the 'AC panel protection' which they installed in my last service in September has something to do with this.
Old 28th May 2015, 16:47   #567
Distinguished - BHPian

You should get the radiators pressure washed. I've had this in mine occasionally, and some fins were clogged up with mud.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 17:36   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly, the AC worked fine while driving to work this morning, though it did appear to be slightly weak. This has left me perplexed. But during my drive, I got a call from Ford eliciting feedback for the free service camp by Vibrant Ford a couple of weeks ago.
vnabhi,
I had the similar issue on my Figo around a year back and got it resolved at a non-Ford AC Repair shop.
They cleaned the filter under the dashboard, refilled gas and I came home and pressure washed the condenser and it has been working fine ever since.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 19:10   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You should get the radiators pressure washed. I've had this in mine occasionally, and some fins were clogged up with mud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
vnabhi,
I had the similar issue on my Figo around a year back and got it resolved at a non-Ford AC Repair shop.
They cleaned the filter under the dashboard, refilled gas and I came home and pressure washed the condenser and it has been working fine ever since.
Thanks both. How do I know where the condenser is, in order to pressure wash it?

Also, how much did you shell out for the repair and gas?
Old 28th May 2015, 19:31   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks both. How do I know where the condenser is, in order to pressure wash it?

Also, how much did you shell out for the repair and gas?
I guess I am confused with the AC System part names.

The part under the dash normally gets blocked with leaves and muck and was cleaned.
The part that I pressure washed was the radiator and can be done from the gaps just below the number plate.

Gas refill and cleaning came up to around Rs 800
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks