Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2016, 23:24   #676
BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

A question related to an AC gas/coil discussion that happened a few weeks.
My ~6yr 1.6S' AC stopped working one day. Went to a mechanic and he said the gas had leaked away completely and wasn't sure if it was from the coil behind the dashboard. Suggested to fill the gas and wait for a while to see if it happens again. Did that for 1.2k and it seemed fine. Few days later (onwards) when the AC is switched on for long, or is made to work in stop go traffic, or at high speed, a noise comes from somewhere in the engine bay near the radiator and some vibrations creep on to the steering/dash. Not a different kind of noise, feels like a fan rotating a very high speed. But this never happened before the refill. Should I be concerned?
Old 16th May 2016, 15:03   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
A question related to an AC gas/coil discussion that happened a few weeks.
My ~6yr 1.6S' AC stopped working one day. Went to a mechanic and he said the gas had leaked away completely and wasn't sure if it was from the coil behind the dashboard. Suggested to fill the gas and wait for a while to see if it happens again. Did that for 1.2k and it seemed fine. Few days later (onwards) when the AC is switched on for long, or is made to work in stop go traffic, or at high speed, a noise comes from somewhere in the engine bay near the radiator and some vibrations creep on to the steering/dash. Not a different kind of noise, feels like a fan rotating a very high speed. But this never happened before the refill. Should I be concerned?
I do not know what this issue could be. But, when filling the gas did the mechanic fill AC oil too? If not that could be the reason. This is just a guesstimate. More knowledge people could probably answer.
Old 17th May 2016, 10:53   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
I do not know what this issue could be. But, when filling the gas did the mechanic fill AC oil too? If not that could be the reason. This is just a guesstimate. More knowledge people could probably answer.
I don't think he did. He just brought that gas cylinder, connected it somewhere for a while.
Old 17th May 2016, 12:03   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
I don't think he did. He just brought that gas cylinder, connected it somewhere for a while.
I think that could probably be the cause then.

Have a look at the Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance thread on the forum.

The way forward could be visiting the ASC or a trusted Car AC repair shop.
Old 17th May 2016, 21:30   #680
Senior - BHPian

@Vysakh--I advise you to take your car to FASS or any reputed Car AC repair center and get your unit examined. It will only take your time, but you need not authorize any part changes till you are convinced about the cost.

I got my Fiesta's AC examined last year at Subros center and gave them the green signal to change my evaporator coil. It cost me Rs 7600, which was around 5 K cheaper than FASS.
Old 19th May 2016, 15:51   #681
BHPian

Like you , I now own a Fiesta 1.6 and a Figo though mine is a petrol. Do you see any difference in steering feedback between the two? Figo is not at home these days but from what I recollected, Figo had a heavier+smoother steering at high speeds whereas Fiestas feels a bit light at similar speeds. I also feel its not moving smoothly but in increments. Do you feel the same?
Old 19th May 2016, 16:29   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Like you , I now own a Fiesta 1.6 and a Figo though mine is a petrol. Do you see any difference in steering feedback between the two? Figo is not at home these days but from what I recollected, Figo had a heavier+smoother steering at high speeds whereas Fiestas feels a bit light at similar speeds. I also feel its not moving smoothly but in increments. Do you feel the same?
Not entirely clear.
Are you saying that it feels like the steering weighs up in notches, and not linearly? light, hard, harder, hardest in sudden shifts?
If so, then its peculiar to your car.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 16:48   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find both to be quite similar at all speeds. The Fiesta's steering feels better to grip as it's leather-wrapped.

If you're finding a difference, it could be due to differentce in air pressure in your front tyres.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 17:59   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Not entirely clear.
Are you saying that it feels like the steering weighs up in notches, and not linearly? light, hard, harder, hardest in sudden shifts?
If so, then its peculiar to your car.
No. What I mean in that I *feel* the steering rotation is not smooth and little bit jerky. Now I am sure average joe wouldnt notice this but then I drive Figo with similar setup so I found it surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I find both to be quite similar at all speeds. The Fiesta's steering feels better to grip as it's leather-wrapped.

If you're finding a difference, it could be due to differentce in air pressure in your front tyres.
OK. I will get this checked on Saturday when car goes for alignment and balancing.
Old 20th May 2016, 20:01   #685
BHPian

Quote:
I think that could probably be the cause then.

Have a look at the Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance thread on the forum.

The way forward could be visiting the ASC or a trusted Car AC repair shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
@Vysakh--I advise you to take your car to FASS or any reputed Car AC repair center and get your unit examined. It will only take your time, but you need not authorize any part changes till you are convinced about the cost.

I got my Fiesta's AC examined last year at Subros center and gave them the green signal to change my evaporator coil. It cost me Rs 7600, which was around 5 K cheaper than FASS.
The Noise seems to have disappeared. Not sure if it's because the weather in bangalore has been good and the AC didn't have to stress much.
Old 27th May 2016, 17:08   #686
BHPian

Has anyone here filled up the Fiesta with 97 octane petrol? Does it make any difference to performance? I have seen some old threads where people used to swear by additives like System G.

I returned from a 350kms round trip last weekend and boy!! was it fun or what? Beautiful steering is an absolute joy to drive.

P.S - @vnabi sorry for spamming your thread but it is sort of like the de-facto official Fiesta thread.
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 22:13   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone here filled up the Fiesta with 97 octane petrol? Does it make any difference to performance? I have seen some old threads where people used to swear by additives like System G.

I returned from a 350kms round trip last weekend and boy!! was it fun or what? Beautiful steering is an absolute joy to drive.

P.S - @vnabi sorry for spamming your thread but it is sort of like the de-facto official Fiesta thread.
Yes, i've filled up 97 octane petrol twice over the past year, and the results have been good. A miuch smoother growl from the engine, and marginally better FE, apart from better pickup. I found that it got rid of my 'Check engine light' issue completely: i have not faced that issue over the past 2 winters.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 23:33   #688
BHPian

Got my car serviced and tires upgraded to 185/65/R14. Steering is butter smooth now.

Vnabhi sir, Do you find Fiesta steering as direct n weighted as Figo at 80+ speed's? I find Figo to be heavier in feel and very direct.

Last edited by akshay380 : 28th May 2016 at 23:35.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 14:05   #689
BHPian

My headlight reflectors have started to age. Planning on getting new headlamps. Was thinking if I should buy a new pair or just get the old ones painted black and install HIDs?
Old 1st June 2016, 14:14   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Got my car serviced and tires upgraded to 185/65/R14. Steering is butter smooth now.

Vnabhi sir, Do you find Fiesta steering as direct n weighted as Figo at 80+ speed's? I find Figo to be heavier in feel and very direct.
Im planning to get the same upgrade of 185/65/R14 (from stock 175/65/R14) on my Classic during this weekend, will update here with my findings soon.
Did many research and zeroed on Michelin Energy XM2, lets see.!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks