Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2017, 00:28   #811
BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

Rust at the door bottom can prove expensive. Generally it starts from the inside and by the time its visible outside the metal would have corroded to a large extent.
Have this issue in my 1.6S and painted twice, including the inner sides of the door. However the rust reappears. Maybe replacing the door skin would be a long term solution.
SRK72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 14:26   #812

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuarterMile View Post
I haven't got the time to visit the service centre so don't know yet.
Did you get it fixed from Ford or elsewhere?
I got it fixed from Cauvery Ford on Magadi Road.
They got it right the third time.
Old 7th August 2017, 17:58   #813
Senior - BHPian

Of late, I've been hearing some musical hum from the front right brakes or suspension whenever I start moving from zero speeds in heavy traffic. I think this sound was coming for the past couple of months, but only recently I realized it was from my car. It comes only for a couple of seconds, and vanishes when the vehicle picks up speed.

But this does not come always, but around 30% of the time at speeds below 10 kmph, when starting from zero speeds. I wonder if it is from the brake calipers, or the suspension, or from the power steering. Any inputs would be helpful. I'll have it checked by FASS when I visit that area next, but that may take more than a month.
Old 10th August 2017, 22:48   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Of late, I've been hearing some musical hum from the front right brakes or suspension whenever I start moving from zero speeds in heavy traffic. I think this sound was coming for the past couple of months, but only recently I realized it was from my car. It comes only for a couple of seconds, and vanishes when the vehicle picks up speed.
I haven't encountered this issue before, so not speaking out of experience. Googled it and found a few articles stating it could be a faulty wheel bearing or something to do with alignment. I suggest rotating the tyres. If it still comes from the front right than you can narrow down the culprit. Although, all those mention louder sounds and at higher speeds.

Last edited by Rohan24 : 10th August 2017 at 22:51.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 23:50   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
I haven't encountered this issue before, so not speaking out of experience. Googled it and found a few articles stating it could be a faulty wheel bearing or something to do with alignment. I suggest rotating the tyres. If it still comes from the front right than you can narrow down the culprit. Although, all those mention louder sounds and at higher speeds.
Someone else also felt it could be a faulty wheel bearing. But I do know that wheel bearings make humming sounds at speeds over 50 kmph. It happened in my Figo when the car was 6 months old. The left rear bearing was replaced under warranty.

But in all likelihood, this could also be the beginning of bearing problems. With the odo around 64350 kms, it is normal for bearings to show wear and tear.

But before that, i will get the wheel balancing and alignment done to rule out that cause. The car has already done around 7000 kms after the last rotation.
Old 11th August 2017, 00:06   #816
BHPian

Quote:
But in all likelihood, this could also be the beginning of bearing problems. With the odo around 64350 kms, it is normal for bearings to show wear and tear.

But before that, i will get the wheel balancing and alignment done to rule out that cause. The car has already done around 7000 kms after the last rotation.
I guess so. The rear left one on my Fiesta had almost given up. It has done 53k kms. I didn't notice any sound or wheel wobble, but the technician pointed it out during service. Got it replaced.
To check, you can mount the car up on a jack, and hit the tyre a bit when it's off the ground. If there's any play, that would mean that the bearing needs to be changed.
Old 11th August 2017, 00:08   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess so. The rear left one on my Fiesta had almost given up. It has done 53k kms. I didn't notice any sound or wheel wobble, but the technician pointed it out during service. Got it replaced.
To check, you can mount the car up on a jack, and hit the tyre a bit when it's off the ground. If there's any play, that would mean that the bearing needs to be changed.
Thanks for the suggestions. How much did the rear bearing cost you, including labour charges?
Old 11th August 2017, 00:12   #818
BHPian

I'll upload the service bill along with the initial report on my pre-owned Fiesta here soon (Hope you don't mind). I don't exactly remember it now, but I think it was around 3k.
Old 11th August 2017, 19:51   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll upload the service bill along with the initial report on my pre-owned Fiesta here soon (Hope you don't mind). I don't exactly remember it now, but I think it was around 3k.
Please feel free to do so. Sorry for the late response.

As far as I know, the rear bearing on ABS-equipped cars costs around 8k, and around 5 k for other Fiestas.
Old 11th August 2017, 19:57   #820
BHPian

Quote:

As far as I know, the rear bearing on ABS-equipped cars costs around 8k, and around 5 k for other Fiestas.
Or if you are willing to spend some time, then removing the bearing from its housing at lathe shop or press and then souricing same spec bearings from SKF should cost about 3k in total. I read this in some Fiesta thread. Cannot recollect which.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 20:12   #821
BHPian

Quote:

He did say it was the bearing that was kaput. I'm attaching the bill with part number,etc. and cost. There were 2 more parts which cost around 1k, on the next page, related to the bearing assembly.
I have the replaced part in the boot, I'll check it out tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170725_165222_ink_li.jpg  

Old 11th September 2017, 17:59   #822
Senior - BHPian

Two updates on the Fiesta:
  1. I took the car to Vibrant Ford as there was a service campaign by Ford India that offered discounted rates. But it was full of cars on Saturday, so the SA requested me to bring it this week. The campaign lasts till September 17th.

I spoke to him briefly about that 'musical' humming sound that comes on and off at speeds of 10 to 20 kmph. I also told him that I get some fried smell at times. He suspects clutch plates and release bearing symptoms, but said he'd do a thorough check when I take the car this week.

The car has nearly done 65000 kms and I guess he could be right. But I honestly think the sound is due to brake pads being too close to the disc or due to calipers. Let us wait and see.

My WagonR's clutch was replaced at 77000 kms, so I think it is a bit too early on the Fiesta.
  1. The car was not used for 4 days last week. I had to crank it 3 or 4 times yesterday. Looks like the Amaron is giving up. When I checked my service sheet, I found out that it was replaced in June 2012 when the odo was 32500. The stock battery has lasted 63 months, and now the replacement Amaron has completed another 63 months and also 32500 kms.

So it looks like there is some kind of time bomb set for the parameters listed above!

I'll pull on with this battery till it dies, as I am not going out of town, unlike last time when my Ooty drive was coming up.

Last edited by vnabhi : 11th September 2017 at 18:01.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 16:42   #823
Senior - BHPian

I finally found time to take the Red Injun to Vibrant Ford today. I wanted them to check the clutch, suspension and bearings. They said I'd have to pay around 650 plus taxes for a thorough inspection, with a free wash thrown in. I was ok with that. I also wanted them to elevate the car and check for oil seepage from the drive shaft area and oil sump that was noticed in June.

The following tasks were done after elevating the car:-

1. Oil seepage was not found. Whatever dark moisture was under the oil sump was normal.

2. Engine oil level was found at minimum level of the dipstick.. So they topped up a liter of it. The car has travelled 5000 kms from the last oil change in January.

3. The left rear bearing was found to be faulty. On spinning the wheel, some 'tak tak' minor sounds and vibrations were felt while holding the shock absorber. As it was out of stock, I will get it done after a while. Moreover, there was no humming sound yet at speeds.

4. The clutch was found to be in the early stages of acting up, but the SA felt it could last another 5k kms. Therefore I deferred the change. There was no slippage as such.

5. The musical sound for a couple of seconds when moving from a standstill to 10 kmph could not be reproduced. I did not find it in my entire journey either. I guess it is from the clutch release bearing.

6. The left wiper was found to have a small crack. I said I had a spare set at home and there was no need to change it at FASS.

So with 65000 kms on the odo, all is well. Will update on the clutch and bearing in future, when it worsens. I also need to change the battery in a month or two.

Also inspected the headlamps and found no spots in it, despite being stock for 10.5 years!

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170915_105832.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-image-3.jpg

The Red Injun beside a beautiful new Fiesta!

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-image-2.jpg

The oil sump that was found ok:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-image.jpg

Last edited by vnabhi : 15th September 2017 at 16:58. Reason: new pics
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 21:46   #824
Senior - BHPian

I finally replaced the battery a couple of weeks ago, as I had a couple of embarrassing moments of the car not starting when the signal turned green. Angry honks from behind, especially when the signal cycle time is a mere 15 seconds, are understandable, however annoying they might be! And 5 years 3 months were long enough for me.

The Amaron shop at Khairatabad from whom I'd bought the battery earlier quoted Rs 5000 as the price in exchange. I had paid Rs 4700 for it in June 2012.

But I thought it was worthwhile to check the Amaron website, and got a good quote for Rs 4450 as the exchange price, provided the old battery had the same 45 Ah rating. However the new model number was AAM-FL-545106036. This is a new model that applies to the Fiesta Classic. I was told the older one that I had on the car was 545171036, which is no longer in production.

I paid the money online with my credit card, and the battery was installed in around 6 hours, as the guy had to travel all the way from Kukatpally to my flat. I was told they are the sole suppliers for online orders, though there are a couple of Amaron dealers in my vicinity. So far so good. This battery is fully green in colour, while the older one was black with a green label. Even this one has a 2+2 years warranty.
vnabhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 11:48   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Anyone found error codes P0324 and P0325 on your rides? These are related to knock sensors. I'm guessing issues with wiring or connectors since as per many Ford forums this sensor rarely fails.
Sorry for bumping up an old post. But my Fiesta threw up these codes when I checked at the service centre today.
Did it happen in yours? If yes, did you figure out what caused them, and how to fix it?

In mine, the CEL came on randomly one night after starting it up. Had driven it few kms before parking there, and it wasn't there that time. The light stayed on for a day, and disappeared the next morning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks