Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2019, 10:40   #976
BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Sure. We might be actually driving to Yercaud. I hope the elevated road from Silk Board to Elec City is now open to traffic in that direction?
Yes, the flyover is now open. What a coincidence. A lot of people I know are going to Yercaud this weekend. Seems like the place will be overcrowded
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 10:41   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure. We might be actually driving to Yercaud. I hope the elevated road from Silk Board to Elec City is now open to traffic in that direction?
Yes - the flyover is now fully open with no construction work when I drove into Bangalore yesterday.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 10:51   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Yes, the flyover is now open. What a coincidence. A lot of people I know are going to Yercaud this weekend. Seems like the place will be overcrowded
Thanks, but I am planning next weekend. I'm actually flying down to bring my daughter and her Figo back to Hyderabad. But now my other family members are interested, so they might be driving down. Instead of staying in traffic-infested Bangalore for 2 days, we thought it is better to spend a couple of days in a nearby tourist spot. Hence Yercaud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yes - the flyover is now fully open with no construction work when I drove into Bangalore yesterday.
Thanks, but i read somewhere that they had closed a part of it in the other direction a few days ago.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 20:06   #979
Senior - BHPian

Below are pictures of the teenager, and lo behold--it still shines like it is new, except a few scratches here and there, thanks to Hyderabad's notorious bikers and autorickshaws.

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-fiesta1.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-fiesta2.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-fiesta3.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 08:32   #980
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Below are pictures of the teenager
Congratulations on your teenager! That shiny paint belies her age. With that raspy revv-happy engine, pure hydraulic steering & sharp dynamics, she is a legend indeed.

I like to hold onto my cars for long too .

Last edited by GTO : 15th March 2019 at 08:33.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 09:47   #981
BHPian

Lovely looking car. (Touchwood) I still drool over well maintained Fiestas. I guess the looks have stood the passage of time. Classy and understated looks never become an eyesore.

We do not have such good drivers cars below 10 lakhs anymore :(
krish3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 10:09   #982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congratulations on your teenager! That shiny paint belies her age. With that raspy revv-happy engine, pure hydraulic steering & sharp dynamics, she is a legend indeed.

I like to hold onto my cars for long too .
Thank you for your kind words. And yep, I too like to keep my cars for long. My Waggie completed 17 years 8 months already, and is still in a decent condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Lovely looking car. (Touchwood) I still drool over well maintained Fiestas. I guess the looks have stood the passage of time. Classy and understated looks never become an eyesore.

We do not have such good drivers cars below 10 lakhs anymore :(
Thanks. I agree with you on the non-availability of good driver's cars.
Old 15th March 2019, 10:35   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Below are pictures of the teenager, and lo behold--it still shines like it is new, except a few scratches here and there, thanks to Hyderabad's notorious bikers and autorickshaws.
Abhi, your car looks fantastic and it does not look like a 12 year old car!
Your thread was one the inspirations for me to buy the global Fiesta. I love my car and like you, hope to keep it for as long as I can. But I do get a thought sometimes, would I be happier if I had bought the previous gen Fiesta (Classic) with that stonker of a petrol engine?

Last edited by Porschefire : 15th March 2019 at 10:36.
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 17:13   #984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Abhi, your car looks fantastic and it does not look like a 12 year old car!
Your thread was one the inspirations for me to buy the global Fiesta. I love my car and like you, hope to keep it for as long as I can. But I do get a thought sometimes, would I be happier if I had bought the previous gen Fiesta (Classic) with that stonker of a petrol engine?
Thank you so much, @Porshcefire. If I'm not mistaken, you have a paprika red Global Fiesta with the new Aston Martin grill? That looks bloody awesome---total drool maal!

Yes, the 1.6 has more power than the new one, but a remap of your tdci would totally change the ball game. I hope you have that in mind.
Old 27th April 2019, 17:03   #985
Senior - BHPian

The Red Injun was due for its annual ritual of maintenance last month, but i was traveling. I was also looking for a service center other than Vibrant Ford in Sanat Nagar, as the SA there that I had built a rapport with was transferred to another far away branch. Thanks to bhpian Bagaheerath, I found a good one at Chapel Road, Abids that is merely 6 kms away.

I fixed an appointment with their Senior Service Manager, Mark, and gave the car on 25th. The only point i wanted him to check was the mild judder at the biting point of the clutch in 1st gear, while moving from zero speed. And yes, there was also the point related to reduced air flow from the AC blower when compared to my Figo, especially at levels 1 and 2. I went for a TD with an experienced mechanic named idris to have him check the clutch. He felt it could be a minor issue as he believed the clutch assembly of the Fiestas till 2007 were imported, and lasted a long time. And my car had only done 76833 kms so far. I declined his suggestions on WA/WB as I normally get them done outside at a cheaper rate.

I got a call after an hour stating that they had checked the AC hoses, et al, and found no leak. But gas was around 15% less. So they thought it could be a minor hole in the evaporator coil. They estimated 10 K for it. I told them not to do that, but only to top up the gas. The coil was replaced at Subros in July 2015 and I guess it should hold up for some more time.

They gave a call later stating that the clutch was adjusted and some rusting parts were oiled, and was found to be ok. There was no need to change anything. I took delivery of the car in the evening, and the bill was Rs 6266, which included AC gas top up, apart from normal service, oil change, air and AC filter change, etc. The work done was very good, and the car was shining all over. No marks on the seats or interiors, as was the case long back with another FASS.

The AC is now a chiller. I no longer need to use the Figo for beating the hot weather while driving to office. The FE after top up yesterday was 11.6, despite the car being given for service. Overall I am very happy with this product.

Next on my agenda is to change the ICE to something more current. The stock 6-CD player plays like a charm, and has very good FM quality. But I am not able to enjoy stuff like navigation, Spotify, reverse camera etc, and therefore I am hunting for a decent one with Andriod Auto. I have shorlisted Blaupunkt Monte Carlo and Sony XAV-AX500, but the only thing holding me back is how the panel will match with the overall look of the dashboard.

Any suggestions on the above?

Last edited by vnabhi : 27th April 2019 at 17:04.
Old 27th April 2019, 17:41   #986
BANNED

Quote:
I have shortlisted Blaupunkt Monte Carlo and Sony XAV-AX500, but the only thing holding me back is how the panel will match with the overall look of the dashboard.
I'll suggest getting the Sony XAV-AV5000. Get it as there is a ₹5,000 discount running - VFM HU.

Recently did a DIY install with help of BHPian interc00led in a BHPian's Grand i10 (he chose the Sony XAV-AX3000).

Sample of how it looks in the Fiesta Classic
My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_0520.jpg

Image source (The Automotive India): LINK

You can get good quality fascia panels from DHC guys.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 09:35   #987
BANNED

Your upkeep and maintenance of the Fiesta is top notch indeed. It is a good inspiration for me to keep my 10 year old Fiesta S. Similar mileage too.
I will pimp my ride later this year and will post pictures.
Do let us know about your choice of ICE with details.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 09:44   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Below are pictures of the teenager, and lo behold--it still shines like it is new..
Been following your thread since long. Love the way you treat your cars.

Well, if one really looks back, the fiesta is definitely one of the few cars you can hold on to for years without getting bored.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 17:12   #989
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to mention about a weird suggestion I got from the SA in Fortune Ford. He noticed that I'd run only 76800 kms in 12 years. He asked if I normally tank up the fuel to the brim and use the car on weekdays, and the car mostly idle on weekends. When I said that he was mostly correct, he advised me not to fill full tank fuel. Instead he said filling up lower amounts is advisable, as petrol apparently oxidizes in the tank when left idle for a long period,and causes spark plugs to misfire, leading to jerks when the car is started after a couple of days.

I did feel those symptoms a few times just after starting the car after it was idle for 2 to 4 days, but on pressing the throttle, it always vanished. I am not sure how correct the SA was, and if anybody else faced this issue. Any suggestions?
Old 2nd May 2019, 21:12   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I forgot to mention about a weird suggestion I got from the SA in Fortune Ford. He noticed that I'd run only 76800 kms in 12 years. He asked if I normally tank up the fuel to the brim and use the car on weekdays, and the car mostly idle on weekends. When I said that he was mostly correct, he advised me not to fill full tank fuel. Instead he said filling up lower amounts is advisable, as petrol apparently oxidizes in the tank when left idle for a long period,and causes spark plugs to misfire, leading to jerks when the car is started after a couple of days.

I did feel those symptoms a few times just after starting the car after it was idle for 2 to 4 days, but on pressing the throttle, it always vanished. I am not sure how correct the SA was, and if anybody else faced this issue. Any suggestions?
Fill it to the point where the pump auto cuts off and then don’t allow the pump guy to top up the fuel to say make the amount 2000 instead of 1960, don’t fill the tank to the brim either, stop where the pump cuts off and you should be ok.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed