Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2008, 20:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

one koshun: i see almost ALL taveras smoke bigtime. all are call center cabs, but i've even see ones with temp nos. do that. why? can someone enlighten? qualis for eg very rarely does.
Old 15th April 2008, 10:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Avg service Rs 3600 ? Do you use synthetic oil ?
I use the Oil recommended by GM service. Nothing special.
Old 15th April 2008, 10:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
one koshun: i see almost ALL taveras smoke bigtime. all are call center cabs, but i've even see ones with temp nos. do that. why? can someone enlighten? qualis for eg very rarely does.
Yes, sometimes black smoke does come out. It depends mainly on how good the diesel is and also how well maintained your car is!

Call centre Taveras are serviced at local workshops at an interval of 12,000-15,000 kilometres. I know this very well because I have close contact with some operators.

This practice ruins the engine.
As far as smoking of new engines are concerned, I have no idea! I have noticed that more fuel is consumed for the first 5,000 kilometres. Smoking may be because of that! Just a wild guess!!!
Old 15th April 2008, 10:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i don't understand. the tavera middle seat was heaven compared to my indica's back seat ride - which most people say that that is good. In fact, it's spoilt my dad who keeps criticizing the indica for its ride :(
@ greenhorn, I agree with you 100%. The second row seats are very comfortable. My family members travelled with me from Trivandrum to Vailankanni Church, near Chennai. They slept the whole time in the second and third row, while I was driving! We travelled a total of 1400 kms in three days and NO ONE had any back pain or discomfort.
Old 15th April 2008, 10:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have driven Tavera when i had made Kerala trips and it is really a user friendly car, very easy to manage. Only thing i hated was the front seats which didnt have proper side bolstering and had a tendency to slip and slide the driver.
@ Jaggu, the upholstery provided by GM is not upto the mark. I also felt that I slide from the seat on sharp turns!!!

I have put custom made covers for the seats, with heavy padding for the driver's seat. That solved the problem!

Tavera looks huge, but it is very easy to drive and control. My brother-in-law who drives a Nissan X-trail in Dubai, also liked the vehicle a lot! Infact he drove it most of the time we were in Trivandrum! I never got a chance!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 15th April 2008 at 10:32.
Old 15th April 2008, 10:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Chevy_lover,

Thats a good ownership review. 2yrs & 51k kms later you are still in love! :-)

Happy riding mate.
@ Happywheels, Thanks buddy. I still feel the same enthusiasm everyday when I climb behind the wheels of my Chevy! It may be because of the fact that I have maintained it in showroom condition.

Most of the days, after work, Wifey and I go for long drives, just because we love being inside our car!
Old 15th April 2008, 10:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Chevy_lover, must say very good report and we have to admit its coming from a person who has used this machine extensively.. this review is very valuable

personally i dont like the way this vehicle looks but after going through this review am sure will atleast test drive this vehicle when am planning to buy a suv!

Last edited by lohithrao : 15th April 2008 at 10:53.
Old 15th April 2008, 11:11   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Chevy, you missed my query
Old 15th April 2008, 11:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Chevy_lover, must say very good report and we have to admit its coming from a person who has used this machine extensively.. this review is very valuable

personally i dont like the way this vehicle looks but after going through this review am sure will atleast test drive this vehicle when am planning to buy a suv!
@ Lohith, thanks for your comments.

I have noticed that most of the people in different forums have very bad misconceptions about the Tavera. And it is due to the fact that they have never driven or travelled in a properly maintained Tavera.

As I mentioned, a majority of the cabbies take advantage of the fact that Tavera has service intervals of 10,000 kms. So they stretch it a bit more and servicing is done by 12,000 to 15,000 kms. And that too at local work shops.

For the Tavera to be well maintained, company service is a must. They do caliper greasing and greasing of the suspension. Local workshops may not even know what caliper greasing is!!!

I have just driven over 490 kilometres last weekend. If you ask me, I enjoyed every second of it. Maybe next week, I will again go somewhere far away!!! I love my vehicle so very much!
Old 15th April 2008, 11:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chevy, you missed my query
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy

I use the Oil recommended by GM service. Nothing special.

My dear Eddy, I already replied to you. Please scroll down.
Old 15th April 2008, 12:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

chevy_lover, you are addicted to the hiway/driving/chevy... nice. keep it going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
@ Lohith, thanks for your comments.

I have noticed that most of the people in different forums have very bad misconceptions about the Tavera. And it is due to the fact that they have never driven or travelled in a properly maintained Tavera.

As I mentioned, a majority of the cabbies take advantage of the fact that Tavera has service intervals of 10,000 kms. So they stretch it a bit more and servicing is done by 12,000 to 15,000 kms. And that too at local work shops.

For the Tavera to be well maintained, company service is a must. They do caliper greasing and greasing of the suspension. Local workshops may not even know what caliper greasing is!!!

I have just driven over 490 kilometres last weekend. If you ask me, I enjoyed every second of it. Maybe next week, I will again go somewhere far away!!! I love my vehicle so very much!
Old 15th April 2008, 15:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
@ greenhorn, I agree with you 100%. The second row seats are very comfortable. My family members travelled with me from Trivandrum to Vailankanni Church, near Chennai. They slept the whole time in the second and third row, while I was driving! We travelled a total of 1400 kms in three days and NO ONE had any back pain or discomfort.
I too agree with this view. I sat on all 3 rows in out team outing to Srisailam last December, and loved the comfort of the middle row, and also the front row. The last row was not bad, but I am never comfortable when sitting sideways to the vehicle's motion.
Old 15th April 2008, 15:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I too agree with this view. I sat on all 3 rows in out team outing to Srisailam last December, and loved the comfort of the middle row, and also the front row. The last row was not bad, but I am never comfortable when sitting sideways to the vehicle's motion.
My Chevy has front facing seats!! Please see my garage!
Old 15th April 2008, 17:34   #29
BHPian

Chevy_lover, most of the people that I have asked told me that the Tavera is under-powered. Do you feel so too, or are they talking about an older model? ( I think they were comparing it to an Qualis or Innova )
Old 15th April 2008, 19:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

It weighs around 1600 kilos and is powered by a 2.5l which generates 80ps. Definitely underpowered. It also sits on leaf springs... rear seats won't be half as good as the innova. This is not an SUV... its a people carrier. The car should be bullet proof though as its basically the age old isuzu panther in a new shell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks