Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2008, 18:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

Seems you are really enjoying your vehicle. Your handle do so much justice to the thread Enjoy your drive.
Cheers
Old 9th December 2008, 21:07   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Most of the Tavera's speed is limited. This is done with a view to improve mileage!.

Once this speed limiting is removed by the service guys, it flies!!! It is a minor adjustment, which I found out very early and removed .
Let me share my experience. The car was delivered while I was overseas in China (driving a Buick Suburban!). Any way, after I got back I took the kids out on a jaunt on the NH (all the way to the Kharagpur intersection with NH6) from Calcutta and never exceeded 50 kph. The engine - just no noise. Anyway, after I crossed 5000 kms I decided to jack up the cruising speed - a German friend who had just retired from Bosch said that upto 5k i should not exceed 70- 80 kph max.
During my second (service) I was shooting the breeze with the Service Manager who said that the car came with a Speed Governor - ostensibly to give a better mileage (than without the Governor). Now, I read that its only a nut on the floorboard - i'll check it out over the weekend.
Meanwhile, since Oct 06, i've clocked up 19000 kms; compared to the Company's '07 Innova the Travera' engine is more noise especially at low speeds (upto 40kph).
Spending, so far I've been hit for an Oil Filter and the horns blinked out last weekend (not very pleasant when one is trailing behind trucks on the right lane who refuse to move over) - cost Rs. 550/- with taxes!!
Mileage - in the city I get 14 km/l and highway about 20km/l.
One trick is to keep the tire pressure 2 psi more than that recommended - don't gun the engine (its not a SUV!) and on the highways drive at a comfy speed depending on the traffic - first 100 - 150 kms out of Calcutta on the highways (NH2 or 5) about 80 kph and then crank it to 120 kph - depending on the truckers.
I would appreciate other Travera owners to share their thoughts
Old 15th December 2008, 20:10   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^Flooring of the pedal may or may not have anything to do with what speed you are travelling at depending on the car and the way the pedal response is calibrated into the ECU. I never ever have to floor the accelerator in my car to get close to the top speed. Just gently pressing it is more than enough.
will appreciate about the Turbo charger. When does it kick in?
Did about 500 kms yesterday. Thanks to a Sunday and well behaved truckers who stuck to the left lane (NH2) averaged a constant 110 kph with only a discernable engine noise - but couldnt figure out the Turbo!
Old 30th September 2010, 23:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

My Chevy Baby – Now a toddler after 93,000 kilometres!!!

My Chevy Baby – Now a toddler after 93,000 kilometres!!!

It has been such a wonderful journey with our beloved Chevy. Our baby is four years and 93,000 kilometres old, but for my wife and I, Chevy is still a toddler!!!

I am feeling a bit nostalgic. Let’s turn back the wheel of time a few years. Let me relive all those wonderful memories once again….

We decided to buy our Chevy in 2006, as soon as we finished our incredible journey to Bhutan, Darjeeling and Sikkim. We had the good fortune of travelling back from Gangtok to Siliguri in a Tavera and it was ‘Love at First Ride’ for my wife and I! We actually decided to buy a Tavera, sitting inside a Tavera!!! The ride quality was superb and no crater was big enough to perturb our ride.

Those who have read my travelogue, may remember that we hired Maruti Omnis, Boleros and Sumos most of the time, to take us from Point A to Point B. We were so appalled by the ride quality of those vehicles that we even thought of breaking our journey for a day or two, JUST to relax our aching backs. When the time came for us to return to New Jalpaiguri, to catch our train back to Mumbai, we decided to try our luck and specifically asked our guide to arrange a Tavera for our journey back to the plains. Well, the rest is history!

We booked our Chevy baby as soon as we returned to Pune from the East. We finally bought our Chevy in the year 2006 and we took delivery of our gleaming new Chevy on the 12th of February. We were very particular that we wanted our Chevy Baby to be with us, when we celebrated our 11th Valentine’s Day together. I pestered the Sales Manager in Talera Motors and finally we got the good news that our Chevy was ready, on the evening of 10th February.

We immediately rushed to the showroom at Tadiwala Road, Pune, so eager to see our Chevy. We still cannot forget the torrent of emotions that flooded our hearts, when we saw our very own beauty for the first time! He was gleaming under the showroom’s lights and we instantly fell in love with our Chevy. He was so adorable!

We quickly got Chevy’s keys from Mr. Robin, who was the Sales Officer in Talera. We were overwhelmed by emotions, when we sat in Chevy for the first time. It was such a wonderful moment hearing his little heart roar to life and that moment is forever etched in our hearts! We spent an eternity just looking at Chevy baby and admiring his endearing looks! Finally the showroom staff started switching off the lights, when they felt that we planned to spend the night near Chevy! We bid him goodbye for the time being and returned home with a heavy heart!

We took delivery of our Chevy baby on the 12th of February. We had taken our driver with us, as I still wasn’t too sure about my driving. I learned driving in a Qualis and had even driven to Kolhapur once. But the thought of driving my beautiful Chevy baby gave me the jitters and I couldn’t make myself sit in the driver’s seat!

After some coaxing from my ever supportive wife and my driver, I jumped inside Chevy. I was the happiest man on Earth, when I turned Chevy’s ignition and felt him roaring to life. Hearing his heart beat, my heart was filled with joy beyond compare and my eyes welled up. It was such a proud moment for my wife and I!!!

I slowly put Chevy in first gear and leisurely rolled out of the showroom, crushing some lemons, which Robin had brought along thoughtfully. An old security guard in the showroom did pooja for our Chevy and broke a coconut, which was auspicious and would bring us good fortune!

I took the wheels again and slowly drove to ‘The Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help’ at Tadiwala Road and got our Chevy blessed by the parish priest. After a short visit to the Church, and offering our prayers to Mother Mary and the Almighty, we made our way to a petrol pump. We filled up Chevy Baby’s belly to the brim and then went to our favourite accessory shop near our home.

It was time for our Chevy to get decked up. We gave Chevy a Pioneer audio system, Sony amplifier, Pioneer woofer and Pioneer speakers. The sound system was simply brilliant and we couldn’t even raise the volume above 16 points. Such was the terrific boom effect of our Pioneer woofers and speakers!!!

We went for a long drive afterwards and I happily handed over the wheels to my driver, who taught me driving and whom I consider as one of the finest drivers I have ever seen!!! We joined the brilliant NH4, after negotiating the chaotic city traffic. I was so worried that someone would scratch my dear Chevy baby!!! But we relaxed soon and enjoyed the drive tremendously. Chevy was running as effortlessly as a knife on butter and as smooth as silk! We kept the speed below 80 kmph.

Thus began our charming relationship with Chevy baby. We have been addicted to driving ever since we sat in him on that beautiful day! Chevy is like an extended family member, a baby for us and he has been with us, constantly through the thick and thin of life!!!

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-chevy-1.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-chevy-2.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-chevy-3.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-chevy-4.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-chevy-5.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-chevy-6.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-chevy-7.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-chevy-8.jpg

The story will continue …..

Coming up…. Chevy Baby’s service history!
Old 1st October 2010, 09:14   #50
BHPian

Hi CL,

Good to see you back. Its great that you remembered every minute details when buying Chevy. Though not a travelogue, liked the way you presented your emotions..

Waiting for the rest of the story....

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Old 1st October 2010, 14:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
Been a passtionate review so far. Can you also put in stuff that you dont like about the Tavera. It would make it more balanced.
Old 2nd October 2010, 02:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

My likes and dislikes....

Team, I have been driving around in my Chevy through some of the best and the worst terrains in the country! Here is a small presentation mentioning what I liked and what I disliked about the vehicle.

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-tavera.jpg

This is entirely my personal opinion, formed after driving My Tavera for 93,800 kilometres and three other Taveras for over 20,000 kilometres. Comments are welcome.
Old 2nd October 2010, 03:36   #53
BHPian

Wow man, you are so passionate about your Chevy. I guess we all are and that's why we are here :-)
I have always liked the looks of the Tavera especially in the red and green colors. Two months back I traveled to the airport in it. My dad was sitting on the front passenger seat. Me, my wife and kid were sitting in the second row and luggage was in the back. The pick up was really good but the ride was very harsh and bumpy. I wonder what could be the reason? May be the tyre pressure was very high. Plus most of these drivers really abuse the vehicle.
Old 2nd October 2010, 05:02   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
Wow man, you are so passionate about your Chevy. I guess we all are and that's why we are here :-)
I have always liked the looks of the Tavera especially in the red and green colors. Two months back I traveled to the airport in it. My dad was sitting on the front passenger seat. Me, my wife and kid were sitting in the second row and luggage was in the back. The pick up was really good but the ride was very harsh and bumpy. I wonder what could be the reason? May be the tyre pressure was very high. Plus most of these drivers really abuse the vehicle.
Thanks Sush. Yes. I am very passionate and attached to my Chevy.

Most of the Taveras are driven without proper servicing. It is very important that the suspension and springs are greased and cleaned regularly. Since those taxi guys never bother to do all the above mentioned mandatory maintenance, the vehicle will become rough. Another problem can be the rubber cushion for the strut bar and also the bushing for the suspension rods. If these are worn out, then the vehicle will be riding like a bullock cart.

Most of the local service shops do not know all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hello,
Been a passtionate review so far. Can you also put in stuff that you dont like about the Tavera. It would make it more balanced.
Thanks, friend. I hope you find my chart interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
Hi CL,

Good to see you back. Its great that you remembered every minute details when buying Chevy. Though not a travelogue, liked the way you presented your emotions..

Waiting for the rest of the story....

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Thank you, Srini. I will continue the story shortly.
Old 2nd October 2010, 09:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see you back, that too with a memoir of your Chevy.
Hope the next trip is on the cards and this perhaps is a prelude to that.
Cheery Chevyying.
Old 2nd October 2010, 18:16   #56
BHPian

Chevy_lover, I also share the same passion as you with my Tavera. We bought it in 2007 and it is nearing 80000 kms now.
Everything you have mentioned here, I totally agree with it. There is a very wrong notion that Tavera is underpowered but it is not so. Also it is the perfect family car from a new born baby to the oldest man in your family. I have travelled long distances with my aged parents and they have never ever felt any tiredness or back pains. Even some times I have travelled in the third row and it was as comfortable as the 2nd row. I have increased the seat length in the third row to accomodate 4 passengers there as well.
I am attaching below my Tavera review. Last time when I was home, I have done wooden finish for all the door handles of my Tavera and nowthe interiors truly looks like a top end car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...60000-kms.html
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:01   #57
Senior - BHPian

Chevy Baby’s service history!

Chevy Baby’s service history!

From the day I purchased Chevy, I have been very particular about his regular maintenance. During the initial running in period, I was told by the senior GM service engineer to keep the maximum speed below 80 kmph and not to use the 5th gear. So, for the initial 4200 kilometres, it was always a very sedate drive for us. I was very careful not to stress the engine unnecessarily and Chevy performed exceedingly well. I wasn’t too bothered about the mileage, but once, when I checked, I was getting approximately 12.4 kmpl, in the city, with 100% AC usage.

Once I completed the 1000 kilometre stage, I took Chevy for his mandatory checkup to my dealer, Talera Motors. Their mechanics were very efficient and soon, I saw four guys checking Chevy from head to toe. I wanted to change the engine oil. But the mechanic showed me that the oil was still not black with any sort of deposit. There was a minor issue with the third row seat producing a metallic ‘click click’ sound, when the vehicle went over potholes.

I called the head mechanic over to my Chevy and made him take a test drive. The problem was diagnosed as a loose nut, which the upholstery guys might have loosened earlier. After a quick vacuum and some liberal application of WD40 to the underbody, Chevy was returned to my waiting arms and I drove off with a huge grin plastered on my face.

The rest of the 3000 kilometres was agony for me. I was itching to test my Chevy in the expressway. But I did not want to stress his engine and I had to be content with city driving. My wife was instrumental in keeping our vehicle in tip top condition.

I must say that we never had ANY problems whatsoever with our dear Chevy. I had been reading horror stories of brand new cars developing problems with its AC, brake lining, clutch, brake pads, steering, etc. But luckily our Chevy never had any issues and he was as robust as ever, when we took him for his first ever service.

I had a detailed discussion with my service advisor and made him and the mechanic check Chevy’s clutch. I was very worried about the clutch developing early wear and tear, as I was still a newbie to driving. As a practice, I never rest my foot on the clutch when driving and I touch the clutch pedal only when I need to change gears. That habit paid rich dividends and I was reassured by the mechanic that the clutch was indeed in pristine condition. Let me add that even after 93,800 kilometres, my Chevy’s clutch is still in superior condition. All credit goes to my company’s driver who taught me driving! I have heard about an owner's experience in Team BHP where a brand new Santro’s clutch had to be replaced at 20,000 odd kilometres!!
My vehicle's service went very well. There were no issues with Chevy and I was a happy man.

The cost breakup was like this;

Engine Oil - Tavera - 15W40CF – 5.5litres @ Rs. 104/litre -> Rs. 572
Oil Filter -> Rs. 507.56
Screen wash -> Rs. 31.11
Brake fluid - DOT3 - 0.20 litres @ Rs. 58.67 -> Rs. 11.73
Labour -> Free
Taxes – 140.60

Total cost -> Rs. 1263

My Chevy had run 4211 kilometres till then and the maintenance cost per km was an astonishing 29 paise only.
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:49   #58
Senior - BHPian

The drive goes on and on…

The drive goes on and on…

After our Chevy’s first service at 4211 kilometres, we have been going for long drives on a regular basis. We have driven to Kerala(twice), Bangalore, Salem, Ooty and Velankanni (thrice), Kodai, Yercaud, Mahabaleshwar (close to 30 times), Kashid, Alibaug, Diveagar, Srivardhan, Udaipur, Mount Abu and Mumbai (close to 20 times). During all these trips, my wife was my constant companion. We enjoyed all those drives tremendously mainly because of the comfortable ride given by Chevy. Here are some pics from some of our trips across India.

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-10-light-trails-fateh-sagar.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-12-light-trails-fateh-sagar.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-13-light-trails-fateh-sagar.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-14-light-trails-fateh-sagar.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-16-chevy-baby_-light-trails-fateh-sagar.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-19-chevy_resting_near_avalanche_lake.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-1-highway_to_ooty.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-4-chevy.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-highway-mount-abu-4.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-highway-mount-abu-8.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-10-chevyresting.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-13-roadissogoodforspeeding.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-27-chevyresting.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-6-a_nano_in_our_mirror.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-trip-udaipur-nh8-45.jpg

An incredible 959 kilometres covered in 15 hours of driving to reach the brilliant city of Udaipur!

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-nh8-30.jpg

My Chevrolet Tavera. EDIT : Now over 100,000 kms up!-udaipur-street-15.jpg

Here is the excel file with all details of Chevy’s service history. Each service details are entered in one sheet in the file and there are 14 such sheets. Please go through the file and in case of any doubts, I am here to clarify them!!

Tavera Service History_Chevy_lover.xls
Old 3rd October 2010, 07:33   #59
BHPian

vow! Kudos to you for having maintained your vehicle (and the service history) in such great detail. It's very nice and shows how much you love your baby!

I do intend to start maintaining such sheets henceforth, till now I was maintaining only the records for the fuel that goes into my car (and of course the mileage)

almost 1L KM and vehicle is in such great shape! Honestly I did not have a very good opinion of Tavera UNTIL I read your posts! For how many more KMs do you plan to use it?

What is the maximum mileage you have seen on a well maintained Tavera?

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 3rd October 2010 at 07:35.
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:35   #60
Team-BHP Support

Nice one CL! Chevy is maintained very well! Timelines somewhat similar on my side. My Ford is nearing 6 and has done 70K.
Just that you have driven much more and much longer!

PS: Long Drives dried up of late?

Last edited by ampere : 3rd October 2010 at 12:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks