Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2008, 20:10   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Chevy_lover, most of the people that I have asked told me that the Tavera is under-powered. Do you feel so too, or are they talking about an older model? ( I think they were comparing it to an Qualis or Innova )
well the engine hasnt changed but it did seem to struggle to go over a 100.
Old 16th April 2008, 08:53   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
But its still a leaf spring and no matter how good it cant match coil spring.
And if there isnt too much load in the car, the ride is going to be bumpy.
I love Tavera's engine though, sounds purposeful and bullet proof. The whole car is infact bullet proof. I have sat in Tavera's abused by some of the most notorious drivers, rattling less than any people mover of the same age except Innova.
He is absolutely right. A leaf spring cannot replace a coil spring. Also you need a minimum load to have the least comfort in a vehilce fitted with leaf spring. I generally use a vehilce for solo drive (office going). I too love Tavera for its engine reliability, milage and general looks. But had to forego the option just because of the suspension.
Old 16th April 2008, 10:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
well the engine hasnt changed but it did seem to struggle to go over a 100.
Well, Tavera is defenitely not a racing car. And also I don't feel it is underpowered. My Tavera easily crosses most of Khandala ghats in 4th gear at 70 to 80 km/hr. My vehicle's top speed is 151 (speedo).

As I mentioned earlier, it is not good to frame opinions after travelling in a Tavera cab. There are some adjustments done on those vehicles and cabs rarely can go above 110 km/hr as their speeds are limited. This is done mainly to avoid overspeeding and accidents. The GM service guys does that on request!!

But my vehicle is tuned for power and during my visit to TN, there were 8 adults in my car. I regularly maintained 120 km/hr in the Madurai - Nagercoil stretch. Now do you think Tavera is underpowered???
Old 16th April 2008, 10:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Chevy_lover, most of the people that I have asked told me that the Tavera is under-powered. Do you feel so too, or are they talking about an older model? ( I think they were comparing it to an Qualis or Innova )
Most of the Tavera's speed is limited. This is done with a view to improve mileage!.

Once this speed limiting is removed by the service guys, it flies!!! It is a minor adjustment, which I found out very early and removed .
Old 16th April 2008, 10:28   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Most of the Tavera's speed is limited. This is done with a view to improve mileage!.

Once this speed limiting is removed by the service guys, it flies!!! It is a minor adjustment, which I found out very early and removed .
Huh? Are you sure? I seriously doubt any manufacturer would add a speed limiter to increase the mileage. And even if they limit the speed to say.....120 (hypothetically), that will have NO effect on fuel efficiency when driving at 40 - 100 kph. Which is the speed range that the car will spend 99% of its time in anyways.

I am writing to someone I know in GM India to confirm this.
Old 16th April 2008, 10:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

@ GTO, since you asked, I will tell you. There is a bolt underneath the accelerator which prevents flooring of the accelerator. This bolt can be adjusted to control the the maximum speed. As a standard practice, the bolt allows the accelerator to be pressed only till 3/4th of the actual play. So the pulling and max speed will not go above a particular limit.

Once this bolt is lowered, then the accelerator can be pressed more and even floored. Naturally pulling and max speed increases. That is why I mentioned that it is a minor adjustment.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 16th April 2008 at 10:38. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 16th April 2008, 11:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

^^Flooring of the pedal may or may not have anything to do with what speed you are travelling at depending on the car and the way the pedal response is calibrated into the ECU. I never ever have to floor the accelerator in my car to get close to the top speed. Just gently pressing it is more than enough.
Old 16th April 2008, 11:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

there is some part in the front suspension which keeps breaking. Dad said they had to replace it twice. Happened both times when the front leapt over a speedbreaker and crashed. Even chevy service says its a common problem. will confirm which part
Old 16th April 2008, 11:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once this bolt is lowered, then the accelerator can be pressed more and even floored. Naturally pulling and max speed increases. That is why I mentioned that it is a minor adjustment.
A sort of a physical rev limiter eh ? I doubt if any manufacturer would do that.
Good report though. Happy driving.
Old 16th April 2008, 14:31   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ GTO, since you asked, I will tell you. There is a bolt underneath the accelerator which prevents flooring of the accelerator. This bolt can be adjusted to control the the maximum speed. As a standard practice, the bolt allows the accelerator to be pressed only till 3/4th of the actual play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Flooring of the pedal may or may not have anything to do with what speed you are travelling at depending on the car and the way the pedal response is calibrated into the ECU. I never ever have to floor the accelerator in my car to get close to the top speed.
As reignofchaos has posted, this has its own limitations. At the most, it will result in restricting the RPM but not so much the speed.
Old 16th April 2008, 14:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Chevy has front facing seats!! Please see my garage!
Thanks, I did not see this model earlier. Looks better than the one I travelled on, and that one had side-facing last row seats.
Old 16th April 2008, 14:42   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As reignofchaos has posted, this has its own limitations. At the most, it will result in restricting the RPM but not so much the speed.
Well, the two go hand in hand right?

Meaning, in 5th gear 120 kmph would be at 3000 rpm, where as 150 would be at 4000.
So if the max rpm is restricted to 3000, then effectively, the top speed gets controlled
Old 16th April 2008, 15:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
Well, the two go hand in hand right?

Meaning, in 5th gear 120 kmph would be at 3000 rpm, where as 150 would be at 4000.
So if the max rpm is restricted to 3000, then effectively, the top speed gets controlled
I think the pickup also suffers because of this small restriction! If the accelerator cannot be pressed beyond a certain point, then there won't be adequate pulling power in 3rd and 4th gears! Especially in Ghats!!

Is my observation correct?
Old 28th July 2008, 17:58   #44
BHPian

Hi...
I am too a proud owner of Tavera!!! We pick up the Tavera for the space and ride quality in April 2006. I have done a lot of long trips (Mumbai-Bangalore, Mumbai-goa, Mumbai-Akola, Mumbai- Naski, lost count of Mumbai-Panchgani and Pune). This car has never let me down, very comfortable for long trips. I have completed 34000 kms and no major expenses in maintenance so far. There was some electric damage due to rat chewing up the wiring last year which was fixed by GM service centre.

I am really looking forward for a CRDI engine in Tavera (wonder when GM will come up with).

Hey Chevy_lover,

Could you please let me know wat was ur maintenance cost between 35000-51000.
Old 14th August 2008, 17:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_man View Post
Hi...
I am too a proud owner of Tavera!!! We pick up the Tavera for the space and ride quality in April 2006. I have done a lot of long trips (Mumbai-Bangalore, Mumbai-goa, Mumbai-Akola, Mumbai- Naski, lost count of Mumbai-Panchgani and Pune). This car has never let me down, very comfortable for long trips. I have completed 34000 kms and no major expenses in maintenance so far. There was some electric damage due to rat chewing up the wiring last year which was fixed by GM service centre.

I am really looking forward for a CRDI engine in Tavera (wonder when GM will come up with).

Hey Chevy_lover,

Could you please let me know wat was ur maintenance cost between 35000-51000.
@ Real_man. Nice to see your comments! My Chevy just completed 59900 kilometres. I had driven down to Kerala last week in my Tavera and I drove continuously for 17 hours, with two food breaks. My round trip was about 3600 kms long!

I travelled on NH 17, which is the "Home of potholes"!!! My return journey was via TN and Bangalore. I never felt any fatigue and I had a very satisfying time with my Chevy! Zero problems and zero headaches!!! The suspension is simply superb!

As far as maintenance is concerned, I changed both my brake pads during my 54000 km service. I also did a 3M Engine flush treatment and a 3M treatment for de-carbonising. I regularly give my vehicle for company's service every 5000 kms. And to tell you the fact, no one other than GM's technicians have touched my Chevy's engine!

Maintenance costs were so less, I never bothered to calculate it! I thinks it works out to less than Re. 1 per kilometre!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks