Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2008, 10:12   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
My dear old Bolero - Lovely Jeep

I’ve owned a Bolero Sportz since May 2005 till I sold it a few days ago. My Dad, my Brother in Law and I have had one or other of the Mahindra Vehicles with us at all times over the last thirty years. Right from the old Mahindra International, through the CJ 500 long chassis, the original MM540, MM540DP, Marshal, Armada, MM550DP soft top and hard top, the (old) Bolero , (old) Scorpio, new Bolero Sportz and now the new 2.6 Crde Scorpio I ve just bought.

The Bolero combines great value for money, with toughness, solidity, tough looks and aggressive go anywhere capability even in its 2WD avatar. The strong ladder chassis can handle anything from mud to stones to bad roads to jungles!
Advantage clean burning diesel fuel driven which means you don’t need to think twice before taking an out of town trip, however far off. The XD3PU engine delivers well and is much more silent than the newer DI Turbo though this is in itself a good engine.
I really love this jeep. I have enjoyed many outstation drives, hill drives, some relatively lighter off- roading compared to what I have done earlier in my MM550DP.
I tended to use it a lot within the city too, because of the sheer feeling of safety within and for the storage space it has available as well as the fact that no auto rickshaw will try stunts when they see the Bolero looming up in their rear view mirrors!
I have seen the newest variants of the Bolero (SLE and SLX) and appreciate some of the things added - the new ones have a shorter gear shift making them a little more sporty and responsive. I also appreciate that they have changed the position of the music player to a more accessible space unlike before.
There are a few more changes, largely cosmetic and these are not really to my personal taste.
One other change made recently in the front bumper is very good. When you drive in wet conditions, the special bumper front overhang will prevent water splashing onto the bonnet and wind screen, unlike in the earlier versions. This was absolutely necessary and I am glad they’ve done it.

Suggestions for improvement:
1. They should give the Bolero the Scorpio’s 2.6 Turbo Crde engine and increase its capabilities, efficiency and performance in terms of BHP (atleast 100 BHP vs the current 68BHP), more torque, better fuel efficiency, better noise reduction and great power!
2. Must make the rear passenger seat foldable 60:40 or even completely foldable as one single piece and allow the seat to be rolled over and rest against the back of the front seats like in the Scorpio. One can gain so much more space for storage.
3. Must give an AC / Heater as standard in all variants. This is necessary too.
4. Must Pump up the Brakes/ Braking capabilities with better technology to handle the increased Power. If possible include ABS.
5. Why not change the tyre size to 235/70/R15? This way one gets the wider footprint but not the taller stance, since anyway the Bolero is shorter than the Scorpio and therefore more stable. I will testify to this as I have driven both vehicles in the hills. Please however give the Bolero the Bridgestone Dueler HT Tyres as standard rather than the JK and Apollo – one feels rather short changed when one cannot control the tyres coming as OEM when one buys a new jeep.
6. Must give rear seat headrests and a centre armrest as standard and a pair of decent fog lamps as a standard fitment in all variants.
7. And MUST PLEASE change the cheap sounding, original horn!!! The first thing I did after buying it was to change the original horn to a regular BOSCH Horn. Even a decent ROOTS horn will be sufficient- since it makes enough noise to get moving obstacles like autos and things out of the way.
8.Shorter gearing (something like the MM550DP with the bent gear shift lever to make it more responsive or even a shorter gear stick like in the latest Bolero SLX.
9.Front bumper fairings/ mud flaps to prevent water splashing onto the hood in wet conditions, which currently obscures the windscreen completely and can be very dangerous at speed.
10.Offer the option of the standard heavy duty Mahindra Towhook at the rear, a snorkel type exhaust system, rear windscreen washer/ wiper as well as AURA 5 spoke alloy wheels to all customers and charge them for the same.
11. Improve its rear suspension to at least a semi independent Torsion-bar system, if not the completely independent multi-link type, because the current leaf spring system is extremely bumpy and uncomfortable.
12. Please offer colours like that lovely HENNA green which Mahindra has discontinued and the equally lovely TURF Green like mine for all true jeep/ 4WD enthusiasts to enjoy. And please allow the customer to choose whether he wants the contrast coloured cladding and plastics or plain grey as per his personal taste.
Frankly if these above changes can be made and the Bolero re-introduced with the same radiator/ front end as it used to have in the 2005 model, I would have chosen it ANY DAY OVER A SCORPIO!!
The only real issue I have had with this Jeep was that recently after doing 22000 odd km, the Propeller Shaft assembly started making some little metallic noise while shifting gears, because according to the service centre, some play had developed in the three star joints.
I decided to change the entire assembly at a cost of about 9000 Rs to keep the vehicle in top condition. However, this should not happen in a carefully maintained vehicle and after only 22000 odd km run!
I have now just sold this vehicle to a person as enthusiastic as myself . I will probably buy another Bolero once it comes in a Crde avatar and with the above changes as requested!
All in all I am one highly satisfied Bolero customer.
It is a lovely vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
My dear old Bolero - Lovely Jeep-bolero-off-road.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th April 2008 at 10:28. Reason: [tags] removed
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2008, 22:38   #2
rippergeo

you've been busy.
the new posts section is flooded with your threads.all of them honest and interesting. thought I should compliment you on all of the threads- scorpio,safari,tucson,this one, gypsy.
great work.
hope there'll be more.

Old 16th April 2008, 09:23   #3
BANNED

thanks very much

i enjoy cars and i also enjoy writing about them to share impressions with others.
what better forum than this one, which is dedicated to people who love cars and indeed, are so knowledgeable themselves!
cheerio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
you've been busy.
the new posts section is flooded with your threads.all of them honest and interesting. thought I should compliment you on all of the threads- scorpio,safari,tucson,this one, gypsy.
great work.
hope there'll be more.
Old 29th July 2008, 17:13   #4
BHPian

Hello Shankar,
This thread sure does deserve some credit.
I currently own a 2WD 2005 CRDe scorpio in which i have traveled extensively and have recently taken up offroading.
however i shall be selling it soon and i am looking for a 4wd that offers a good combination of on road and offroad performance.
i have felt that the scorpio body is really heavy and it does pose a problem in some situations.
If mahindra does launched a CRDe Bolero it would definitely make a very interesting buy.
Old 30th July 2008, 12:34   #5
BANNED

hi
some comments below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Hello Shankar,
This thread sure does deserve some credit.
I currently own a 2WD 2005 CRDe scorpio in which i have traveled extensively and have recently taken up offroading.
however i shall be selling it soon and i am looking for a 4wd that offers a good combination of on road and offroad performance.
i have felt that the scorpio body is really heavy and it does pose a problem in some situations. YES - this is true. For example, if you take even a 4WD scorp into a swampy / marshy area, the vehicle will probably sink. In the same situation a Gypsy or MM 340 would come out relatively unscathed!
If mahindra does launched a CRDe Bolero it would definitely make a very interesting buy. I believe we have not long to wait. They plan this launch by August mid I am told. And in this, if they have the 4WD option, it would be a good vehicle to buy, though certainly not as agile in deep slush/ off road situations as perhaps the good old Gypsy and/or MM340.

Another small point. In situations where you need pure Torque and low end grunt, the standard Diesel 2.6 Turbo Scorp and the Bolero with the 2.5 DI Turbo Engine will be superior in performance to the Crde versions. Our fellow member, Anup Mathur will clarify on this point if you ask him for more details.

But without a doubt, and Im sure many TBHP colleagues will agree, for pure offroad work there is nothing like the old, standard, basic Jeep with the mechanical 4WD like the Willys, Mahindra CJ 500/MM340/MM540/ Gypsy etc.
Old 30th July 2008, 18:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Umm, rohan bhai (SwiftKing? ) and shankar saab

atleast in good ole dilli 4Wd is not sold because the XD3P engine is BSII not BSIII. Ditto shame would be for Mumbai. Unless the introduce the bolero CRDe with 4WD from day one! Atleast the staff in delhi have no clue
Old 1st August 2008, 10:44   #7
BANNED

correct Monsieur
XD3PU engine was BS2. There used to be the Sportz version and the GLX version and 4WD only came in the GLX version.
the DI Turbo is BS3 - in this you have the SLE and SLX. 4WD comes only in SLX version.
The new Crde will need to be BS3 or higher compliance.And Im sure the 4WD version will come in this when it gets launched - need to closely watch Mahindra's for this because so far even I have no news though I was told 2nd week/3rd week August 08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Umm, rohan bhai (SwiftKing? ) and shankar saab

atleast in good ole dilli 4Wd is not sold because the XD3P engine is BSII not BSIII. Ditto shame would be for Mumbai. Unless the introduce the bolero CRDe with 4WD from day one! Atleast the staff in delhi have no clue
Old 8th October 2008, 23:14   #8
BHPian

Very well written sir, I to am an ardent fan of the bolero and an owner to of the 2000 XDP bolero GLX.....

hats of to your passion for the machine.... cheers:
Old 27th October 2008, 12:23   #9
BHPian

Finally the Bolero is coming with the CRDE engine.... Just launched... just short of 2 to hit the 100BHP mark (it comes with 98BHP) wish they have a model with front facing 3rd row. That would be a killer...
Old 29th October 2008, 18:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

hi shankar

nice post there. i had one query wanted to know where in bangalore did you get your bosch horn installed, i am interested in installing one for my swift and would like your inputs on who would do it efficiently, i believe you have the horn that sounds like the optra's. also mention the cost of the same.

looking to hearing from you, u can also pm me separately if so required.
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:29   #11
BANNED

hi

i got it installed at Mahindra itself but bought the horn at Gomati Motor Works in Koramangala - unfortunately Gomati is now defunct and has shut shop. It costs about 500 odd Rs.
However my horn did not sound like the Optra.
You could try for the normal after market Bosch Horns at Auto Shop Koramangala - take the left turn just after Tata Indicom while coming from the Adugodi side on the opposite side of the road from Star Bazar and Forum etc. The road goes down and you will see Auto Shop about 100 yards into this road on the right side.
Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
hi shankar

nice post there. i had one query wanted to know where in bangalore did you get your bosch horn installed, i am interested in installing one for my swift and would like your inputs on who would do it efficiently, i believe you have the horn that sounds like the optra's. also mention the cost of the same.

looking to hearing from you, u can also pm me separately if so required.
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:31   #12
BANNED

lovely engine etc
very expensive vehicle at 8.4 lacs OTR BLR!
I bought my current Scorp LX at about the same price in April 2008!
now that costs 9.2 odd OTR BLR and the Bolero VLX Crde is sitting at the old price of the Scorp LX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-G View Post
Finally the Bolero is coming with the CRDE engine.... Just launched... just short of 2 to hit the 100BHP mark (it comes with 98BHP) wish they have a model with front facing 3rd row. That would be a killer...
Old 25th November 2008, 18:55   #13
BHPian

Hi Shankar,

Excellent post regarding the Bolero. I too own a Bolero Sportz 2004 model. Have done about 62K kms. Lots of outstation driving over varied terrains and city driving too. I am absolutely in love with the vehicle. It has the XD3PU engine. I love the performance. Would not trade this vehicle as of now for any other vehicle that is available in the market, baring the Bolero Crde.

I totally agree with you on the cosmetic changes that are necessary to make the ride more comfortable. I personally feel that there should be an armrest for the driver, cos sometimes it gets tiring on long drives and you just want to rest your elbow somewhere. Ditto with the rear windscreen wiper and washer. Had my rear glass all caked up in mud every time I went for a drive in the rains.

Have heard that the Bolero Crde is out now. Will it be available in Mumbai? If it is I would love to go in for it. Am also planning to start some offroading. So would love it if the new Crde version is available with the 4WD!
If not then would like to make some changes of my own to my current Bolero. Need some input if it is possible?
1. Change from stock rims and tires to Alloys and tubeless. Is it possible to upsize too without affecting the handling and other dynamics of the vehicle.
2. Increase the ground clearance of the vehicle?
3. Replace the leaf spring set up and get semi independent Torsion-bar system, if not the completely independent multi-link type?
4. And lastly, something, if possible will probably make a very happy man. Can I install the Crde engine in the present model, with whatever changes are required, without making any changes on the external appearance of the vehicle?
Besides the alloys which I know for sure can be done, are any of the other modifications possible and if so can they be carried out in Mumbai?
Old 25th November 2008, 19:47   #14
BHPian

Quick Question on the bolero, is the ground clerance of the MM540 4x4 and the Bolero 4x4 the same.

Is my understanding correct in that the bolero and the MM540 have the same underpinings?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th November 2008, 22:46   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Shankar nice writeup of your lovely experience. I too own a 2001 white Bolero 4X4 LX which has done about 80,000 kms. I too am a largely satisfied owner and have driven it to many parts of the country through rough and smooth roads or even no roads.The engine is awesome till today.
I am waiting for the CRDe version but heard that its too high priced.If thats so may be I go for an Ingenio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks