Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2008, 22:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

its a lovely vehicle and i dont completely agree to the slim tyres part, had some nice offroad tyres in 205 size and they really rocked on and off road.
Old 23rd April 2008, 07:30   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

off road all terrain tyres are fine yes. but in the estates, in conditions of extreme slush and mud, a narrower footprint definitely helps in not getting deeply bogged down.
thats my own first hand experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
its a lovely vehicle and i dont completely agree to the slim tyres part, had some nice offroad tyres in 205 size and they really rocked on and off road.
Old 23rd April 2008, 09:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's my recipe for the Gypsy's revival:

- Shorten the wheelbase/length of the Gypsy to under 4m. Currently it is 4010mm, so technically speaking if they reduce the length by > 10mm, the Gypsy will get small car excise benefits. (I presume this was done for the ford fusion also, whose length was reduced)

- Plonk the Swift diesel into it.

- Make the interiors a bit ok..

- Take a lesson or two from Mahindra scorpio on how to go about improve the ride/suspension part

- make it available in various models, city [with A/C etc], Jungle [open top etc..] etc..

There you have it. All this should be available at < 6L OTR and you have a winner..

Wonder when the MUL folks will wake up. I am sure huge number of people would want to own a gypsy if the above options were available
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:02   #19
BANNED

great set of suggestions by Mr Khan:

i for one would love to buy a gyp again if these things could be done!

however i do have a doubt - whether they will be able to manage the Gyp to continue having 4WD with the Swift DDIS engine or not

And yes the variants could be as follows:
1. City Jeep - fibre hardtop with 4 forward facing seats with AC/ Santro type PS or the Swift EPS - this can even be used as a mini ambulance or utility type.
2. Country estate type jeep with Soft Top (of better quality though than the current type) and 4 forward facing seats but still with Santro PS or Swift EPS
3. Open Top (Jungle type) with rear bench seats with roll cage with Santro PS or Swift EPS - this can even be used for Airports and other applications.
4. City plus Jungle/ Photojournalist model with Hardtop and 4 forward facing seats (removable) with Electric Sunroof/ Hatch , AC, Santro type PS or Swift EPS
5. Semi Double Cab type could also be considered in this vehicle with a little open deck space at the back for carrying small loads.

All models with 4WD and the diesel powerplant!
If they change the suspension to something a little more modern, it will definitely help a lot, because in its current avatar it is viciously bumpy to drive. They could use their knowledge base on suspension systems from their own Suzuki Vitara and Suzuki Jimmy/ Jimny or even the SX4 if they wish.

And they would need to make the In Dash space a little better, upgrade all the control switches etc and add a console type of thing between the two front seats with plenty of little niches and other storage spaces - that would help a lot.

Wouldnt this be absolutely lovely? But then, if wishes were horses then beggars would ride.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Here's my recipe for the Gypsy's revival:

- Shorten the wheelbase/length of the Gypsy to under 4m. Currently it is 4010mm, so technically speaking if they reduce the length by > 10mm, the Gypsy will get small car excise benefits. (I presume this was done for the ford fusion also, whose length was reduced)

- Plonk the Swift diesel into it.

- Make the interiors a bit ok..

- Take a lesson or two from Mahindra scorpio on how to go about improve the ride/suspension part

- make it available in various models, city [with A/C etc], Jungle [open top etc..] etc..

There you have it. All this should be available at < 6L OTR and you have a winner..

Wonder when the MUL folks will wake up. I am sure huge number of people would want to own a gypsy if the above options were available
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:16   #20
BHPian

What exactly is the technical issue about having a 4WD with a diesel engine ??
Why shankar do you doubt that even Maruti will not be able to connect it to it s 4WD with a diesel engine ??
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Shankar Balan,

If all the changes mentioned by you are made on Gypsy, it looses it's identity. Like, you won't call scorpio a jeep, because it is made for on road too much. Even 4 X 4 WD Scorpio can't perform as of its older brother jeep.

Grand Vitara, a gypsy variant with lots of extras, they can't possibly do extreme off roadings like that of Gypsy.

Gypsy is a good off roader and on- roader. toss a bag of sand at the back, you will have more comfortalble ride. 4WDs are monsters and let them have their place.

I too have a gypsy of 1995 make 1000 cc. If you are looking for comfort and luxury, gypsy is not for you. There is a pride in owning one. I hope Gypsy owners here will vouch for me including Khan.Sultan

Dwarak
Old 23rd April 2008, 13:45   #22
BANNED

i dont agree with you at all in your sweeping statements dwaraka- sorry.

I ve owned a couple of gypsies in the past as you no doubt have read in this thread, considering I started the review in the first place.

And I have in the past used a couple of sacks of rice to reduce the bouncy ride - several times up and down Madras Bangalore Ooty stretch - it does help a bit, no doubt.

all i was suggesting is how to make it a more saleable, user friendly vehicle, which will essentially contain the same DNA as the dear old Gyp and continue to be as light as it is and as capable of what it is best at - off road work.

after all the major changes required are only the Diesel powered motor and a set of reasonable adaptations (for versatility in useage patterns) and upgradations in terms of quality.

A brand or product does not have to lose its DNA, genetic makeup, character and identity while evolving into a newer, better quality, better finished, updated avatar which is more suitable to current market needs and of course in the company/ brand's interests in terms of sales.

Quite bluntly I dont think I would be incorrect in saying that the situation for Gypsy as of now is adapt or perish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Shankar Balan,

If all the changes mentioned by you are made on Gypsy, it looses it's identity. Like, you won't call scorpio a jeep, because it is made for on road too much. Even 4 X 4 WD Scorpio can't perform as of its older brother jeep.

Grand Vitara, a gypsy variant with lots of extras, they can't possibly do extreme off roadings like that of Gypsy.

Gypsy is a good off roader and on- roader. toss a bag of sand at the back, you will have more comfortalble ride. 4WDs are monsters and let them have their place.

I too have a gypsy of 1995 make 1000 cc. If you are looking for comfort and luxury, gypsy is not for you. There is a pride in owning one. I hope Gypsy owners here will vouch for me including Khan.Sultan

Dwarak
Old 24th April 2008, 11:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Quite bluntly I dont think I would be incorrect in saying that the situation for Gypsy as of now is adapt or perish.

Hi, Its always nice to be talking mods especially on a gypsy. I've shared the same ideas too, and have seen a few [badly] modded diesel gypsies with the toyota diesel and isuzu diesel engines.

The character of the vehicle was lost, starting from the smoothness to the way the vehicle moves..

And frankly i doubt maruti will bring in a diesel gypsy especially with the DDIS engine.

AFAIK, The DDIS engine is the reason for the long waiting period of the Swift D in the first place.

But its good to dream..and i'm sure one of us will have a dream diesel powered gypsy!

And the Gypsy has already perished IMO. Thats why you ought to book the vehicle and wait for it for a long time in this day and age!

Last edited by headers : 24th April 2008 at 11:55.
Old 25th April 2008, 15:57   #24
BANNED

sorry for the late reply
my doubt arose from this experience:
in 98 when I had my first gypsy i d asked the garage chaps (who used to do rally car modifications etc) about how feasible it would be to fit a toyota/ isuzu 1.5litre diesel into my gypsy - just for the info and knowledge.
they all said yes, but that they would have to knock off my 4wd and that the gyp would become a 2wd vehicle
now im not a qualified expert and I am carrying this impression for the last 10 years for some reason
of course, what i was asking about was an after market mod job, but i am pretty sure that maruti can find a solution to having a 4wd diesel gyp, if they so wish.
if someone can shed light on this impression of mine, created by those mechanics, I would be much obliged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
What exactly is the technical issue about having a 4WD with a diesel engine ??
Why shankar do you doubt that even Maruti will not be able to connect it to it s 4WD with a diesel engine ??
Old 26th April 2008, 14:10   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shankar

Don't mess with an aftermarket engine swap job on a 4x4...you will lose your 4x4 in all probability. There may be some transfer cases that fit, but its a nuisance. Its best to keep the Gypsy stock.
Old 26th April 2008, 14:51   #26
BANNED

thanks for the input
appreciate the clarifications

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Shankar

Don't mess with an aftermarket engine swap job on a 4x4...you will lose your 4x4 in all probability. There may be some transfer cases that fit, but its a nuisance. Its best to keep the Gypsy stock.
Old 1st April 2009, 11:22   #27
BHPian

I searched for another review on the gypsy but couldn't find one, so bumping up this old thread.
What is the mileage I can expect from a soft top Gypsy?
Why is it not recommended as a first vehicle?
Old 1st April 2009, 14:47   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi midlifecrisis (funny nick!),

1. The Gypsy's mileage would be in the low 8 in a city like Mumbai, though I wouldn't expect it to go over 9 in lesser populated cities / towns.

2. It's a basic 4x4 that lacks any element of comfort. Flat seats, soft-top, no factory air-con and harsh ride quality limit its practicality. However, the Gypsy is one heck of an offroader. A brand new Gypsy King would be my pick if I were looking for a 4x4 today.

3. Be sure to look up this excellent thread!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Just enquired from two dealers in Hyderabad. They say it can take anything between 25 days - 3 months for the delivery.

Colours Available: Only white and too only soft top.

Wanted to enquire about the status of warranty on fitment of A/C and was told that warranty would be void as I'll have to get the AC fitted outside(not at MASS) as the A/C Kit for Gypsy is not coming from subros.

Gypsy is very attractive for enthusiasts because of its capability and the price point but the above(ST and Warranty) are a big irritant. I have driven earlier in MG410s extensively when I dad used to work with the Govt. Haven't driven the 413W so would appreciate some more feedback on it and to the irritants above.

Cheers

P.s.: How good is it as regular highway car (our 410 used to do easy and stable 120kmph) and can A/C be fitted on a soft top?
Old 15th April 2009, 12:39   #30
BHPian

The ride quality of the Gypsy is directly related to the wheels it rides on, the hard suspension as well the seat ergonomics which are all designed for rough use rather than highway cruising.

The stock 185 tyres are fantastic for rough tracks, but a total beeatch on highways, the seat ergonomics not helping me one bit. I once had to drive 800 miles in 2 days to reach a forest in the chandrapur area and by the time i reached there my bones were all loosened up with the shaking. But what the Gypsy does once inside the forest is what makes it special!

I have seen Gypsies with 205 or even 215 radial tyres with the suspension loosened up slightly which goes a looong way in improving the ride though i am not sure how these tyres would handle the rough trails in Nawegaon! The broader tyres make turning a lot more difficult though!

Then again seats borrowed from the Toyota Innova and the Indica are much more comfortable than the springy seat that comes with the Gypsy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks