Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2008, 15:29   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I can understand the initial run-in of do not cross n KMPH for the engine to set. But what is the rational behind the 'No harsh braking till first 300 kms' ?
Its not only the engine, but also the tyres, transmission, brakes etc. that require a run-in period. A 0 km car is just like a newborn baby Nurture her!
Old 19th October 2008, 13:57   #62
BHPian

HI, even i got the logan after lots of research. I am posting my experience here.
I was looking for an upgrade from my good old santro to a mid segment car as i needed a bigger car since i started doing more highway runs recently. I started my research with my favourite mouthshut pages

and even i enquired about quality of cars with the drivers who drove it. I finally shortlisted ACCENT GLE , FORD IKON FLAIR , Chevrolet AVEO and LOGAN Petrol. I did not want a diesel since i prefer petrol vehicles due to their NVH(Noise Vibration and Harshness) levels and better refinement compared to diesel cars. Also i wont run anything more than 1000KM per month. So a petrol car is economically more viable than a diesel car considering the fact that a diesel is atleast 1Lakh more than petrol. With that money, i could get 25K km fuel worth of petrol or 3 years of petrol to run. So i decided for petrol car.

Accent was a really good car but the package was really bad for the money as the car even did not have central locking as standard.it tended to understeer sometimes when i took the test drive. it has superb engine but dated style and cramped interiors compared to other cars. i was wondering that Hyundai could have atleast offered central locking as standard. Also the dealer was adamant(DSC hyundai, chennai) that he cannot give any discounts for the car.

Ford Ikon Flair was also a sweet handling car. Full credit to its handling. it handles like a sports car and even thought the engine looks low on paper, its very peppy and enthusiastic engine. Ikon was the cheapest among the cars and was not bad too. i somehow did not like the interior of ikon as it looked mediocre. Also the dealer did not give me test drive of the IKOOL version of the car. so i could not feel it. I even registered for a test drive on ford website and got a call from them and they could not even provide me the test drive for IKOOL. shame on ford.so ford idea was dropped. AVEO was test driven but i did not like the car since it seemed to be overpriced looking at the competition. Also it tended to oversteer at times during the test drive. Sundaram motors is the dealer for AVEO and they wont budge on the pricing. so i left out that option too

I took a test drive of petrol 1.6Litre GLS logan, and that changed the impression of the car. It was really wide bodied car (for wide bodied guys like me :P). Space , space and space everywhere.The interior quality of the top end car was extremely good for the price it offers. One cannot expect leather stuff for this cheap car. It just costed me 5.77Lakh for the fully loaded car. I agree it looks boxy from some angles, leaving that everything about this car is right.
THE GOOD:
1) Car feels prettly powerful at low rpms. this is a good strength of the renault engine. it goes all the way to 125KMPH with just 3500 rpm. the engine rocks even if it looks low on paper. this really helps city driving all the way from 20Kmph to 40kmph in 3rd gear lugging around.
2) Extremeny spacious that 5 people of 6 feet high and 100KG weight can sit in comfy.Boot also is very large to store many things.
3) Good mileage. I get about 10.5KMPL in chennai traffic. Considering that chennai traffic is bumper to bumper and i go through most congested areas, 10kmpl is very good mileage. my santro used to give only 10 and this car betters that, i am very happy. this should improve to 11-12 after 1st service. brilliant mileage in its class.I get a highway mileage of 15.7KMPL.
4)Supreb ride quality. test drive it to feel it. it glides over potholes and one can hardly feel a vibration on the steering. shock absorbers do the job neatly and it gives a cushy feeling.
5) Handling is great that i can turn even sharp curves above 60kmph. Body roll is negligible. i have tried doing this and succeeded well with confidence.
6) The trip computer will give instantenous, average KM covered mileage etc. so we dont need to break our heads to do that evey time we fill the tank. A major tool for the cost conscious indian.
THE BAD:
1) Boxy back side looks. although looks are personal i dont like it
2) Some suspension noise when going fast over long bumps although its not a major fault
3) No clutch footrest as in hyundai vehicles. So higher leg strain , but can get used to it fast
4) Air blower to the leg side is not very smooth. Majority of the air still comes to the higher vent
5) Wiper wipes from right to left opposed to standard left to right. This will irritate for sometime.
THE UGLY:
1)No tray under seat for storage. Only glove box and its overloaded and small. Dash board is waste and cannot store anything because of its shape. Every little thing tends to fall down.
2) CD player cannot play MP3 or other formats. Disgusting. Its quality is good and speakers are very good but lacks this thing....major irritation.
3)AC controls are placed in a very remote position. On needs to look at it every time to find it and operate it
UPDATE:
Heeeee Heeeeeee I love my own decision for going for this car now. I have completed 6000KM and its rock solid car. Noteworthy points here

1) Car handles very good. I can take any turning fast and confidently
2) Mileage is about 11.2KMPL and the trip meter and mileage calculator is accurate
3) Most lovely thing is that I hit 5 autowallahs so far and NOTHING HAPPENED. No DENTS. One BUS wallah hit me and i got a small dent as though it was hit by a small vehicle. Its STURDY and STRONG. Verified to be used in indian traffic conditions
4) Brakes are sure footed. I had to brake from 120 to 30KMPH on pondicherry highway and no squeaks. rock solid
5) No behavioral changes even at 140KMPH. I love this. the car can be flipped with this speed and the handling is confidence inspiring. And the engine roars well now after 5K kms. Once it crosses 50KMPH in highways in top gear, then there is no looking back, the needle climbs to 140 effortlessly.
6) Power steering is responsive for quick city driving and handling is COOL with that
7) Highway mileage is about 15KMPL @120KM speeds
8) Small quality problems with plastics have started showing up but nothing major. GMS motors in chennai have agreed to replace things in warranty whatever goes wrong. SO no issues.
9) One regret is prices came down from what i brought for but always a great car that feels as strong as a truck
Old 24th May 2009, 08:27   #63
BHPian

How good are the Logan stock tyres?
Old 24th May 2009, 11:49   #64
BHPian

20K kilometers in the odo now. Tyres are good for long drives. Holds well on the road. There is a 16V 1.6 logan selling in europe. They have 15 inch tyres. so i think this chasis can take 15 inch without much issue.
Old 25th May 2009, 10:19   #65
BHPian

Congratulations on your new buy. The Logan is a VFM car. Enjoy it!
Old 19th July 2009, 11:42   #66
Senior - BHPian

should'nt be bumping an old thread but I didnt want to start a new thread on this.

I just saw a new link on the logan website which compares the aggregate parts price. Obviously Logan is at the bottom of the heap and City at the top but the real difference start from Ikon to Fiesta.

:: Welcome to MahindraRenault.com ::
Old 6th November 2009, 21:29   #67
BHPian

The car is almost 1.5 yrs old but still has clocked around 2.5 K KMs only. Actually 2.5 months after buying the car I was transferred to US. However in December I will be returning to India and I am dying to be in the driver position again :-)
My wife and kid have already gone back to India. Even though we drove cars (rented ofcourse) like Prius, Sonata, Jetta, Malibu and Taurus in the US, my wife had some good things to say about her trip in Logan from the Delhi airport to our home in Noida. She said that the boot swallowed all the luggage and was still hungry for more. The ride quality was smooth as always. My dad (who owns an esteem) was driving the car and my mom was complaing that he always drives this car faster than the esteem. His reply was, "It's not my fault as this car has more power" .. :-)
Ok guys, now please don't kill me for quoting the above line as I know that the word "more power" is simply relative :-)
Old 4th January 2010, 10:59   #68
BHPian

Time for a quick update. Last week I returned to India. I had been away from my car for almost 1.5 years. Last weekend we went to Chandigarh via GT road. The drive was awesome. The car is really stable at high speeds and the ride quality is awesome. We used tankful to tankful method to calculate the average fuel consumption and I was pleasantly shocked to get an average of a little over 17. My dad went all gaga over this car as his esteem, which is much lighter, gives an average of 18-19 (without ac) on highway.

I also got new seat covers for my car as the stock ones are dull and were getting dirty. Pics will follow soon.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:19   #69
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sush...

Just last week, I had to go to Pune on a official trip and we got the Company Logan to ferry us around.
The space and the refinement is phenomenal.

Just the exteriors are bland.
But at 5.56 OTR its extreme VFM.
Old 13th April 2010, 15:04   #70
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a generic query as I think it might be applicable to all cars and not just Logan. Whenever I wash the front wheels of my car, some black stuff comes out with water. I touched it and it's not oily kind. It seems like some black deposit that get's washed. It stops coming after sometime and then the water that comes out of the wheels becomes clean.
This does not happen while washing the rear wheels. What exactly is this stuff? Does it happen with other cars as well?

Regards,
Sush
Old 13th April 2010, 15:11   #71
BANNED

Its the carbon from the Disc brakes, I think your rear brakes are drum that the rear you are not getting the powder from the back.

The carbon is normal i think, even though my friends WagonR doesn't shows it.
Old 13th April 2010, 16:40   #72
BHPian

Thanks Wildon. I hope that it's the carbon.
Old 16th May 2010, 09:56   #73
BHPian

Hi All,

Are Logans known to have some kind of suspension noise? Whenever my logan goes over speed breakers, I hear some chu-chu sound from the rear suspension. I do not hear it for a couple of days after the service but after that, the sound reappears.
Has any one else experienced the same problem?
Old 16th May 2010, 11:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

Not in my case. You'll have to get it thoroughly checked.
Old 18th May 2010, 06:37   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
Hi Friends,

The wait is finally over and now I am the proud owner of Logan 1.6 GLs (Petrol).
Congrats on your new Logan. Happy motoring...Post some pictures please...

Most Viewed