Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2007, 00:47   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post
excellent point there tsk. it would be a very bad experience for a lady to go for servicing/repairing of a tata vehicle as the crowd there is gonna be unfriendly one of my female friend mentioned this to me so i know how bad it is.
Not entirely sure of this. On two occassions I have seen two different ladies with their cars who came for regular service. They have special all glass waiting rooms with good seating arrangements (cushy sofas, magazines, TV etc.). Moreover as I have seen they immediately dispatch a service advisor to attend the lady, thus obviating the need for a long wait.
Old 2nd March 2007, 10:24   #32
Team-BHP Support

@zappo, down south things are very very different. In Concorde motors bangalore, the workshop was extremely lady friendly, but this is not the case with most Delhi workshops.
They supposedly have family waiting rooms, and the key word here is supposedly.
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:48   #33
BHPian

If you talk about car dealerships, Concorde Motors definitely has to be the best for Tata cars. After all, its owned by Tata.
Old 11th March 2007, 16:29   #34
BHPian

Sorry about the wrong model

Hi Zappo,
Sorry about the wrong model mentioned previously. Its actually March 2004. Hope now you won't feel that I am in taxi business.
After my last comments, I went for servicing of the car and I was told that front right shocker is gone, so I had to replace it. It did cost me 2900 Rs ( I could have gotten the shocker repaired at any road side shop but I simply do not believe them) and total service costed me 5300 Rs...............Boooohooooo.
The car is running fine. I got it serviced at Shah Motors, Noida, and I must say that they have done a good job among other service centers like Nawab Motors, Noida, Dhingra Motors, Gurgaon and A-One motors, delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Whoa! A 2005 indica, thats hardly 1-1.5 years old i guess... and already 65k on the clock! Are you in the taxi trade buddy? No offences meant... just joking. But its amazing.

Also, a 2005 model is E-III indica I guess? If after 65k its still not giving you any probs then I guess it reinforces my belief that the newer lots are even more rugged and better built than the previous ones.
Old 20th April 2007, 14:47   #35
BHPian

after much thought, im finally going in for a DLG V2 turbo this monday.. Silver color.. selling off our may 2000 Zen LX Mpi.. done 1.5 L kms..
Old 20th April 2007, 17:09   #36
BHPian

DLG V2 Turbo is a very good choice. The DLG Turbo, I think is a very VFM car. Also fun to drive as the turbo kicks in. Its very addictive .
Old 26th April 2007, 08:42   #37
BHPian

Is there a big difference in response between the V2 Turbo and the Indigo/ Marina, which use the same engine (but deliver about 2ps more at optimum rpm)?

I recall finding the Marina more than a tad sluggish off the blocks, when I was test driving it for a friend. He bought one at a great price from Concorde in dec'05, and has had no problems so far. We easily touched 130kmph on the highway a few months ago.
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:09   #38
BHPian

I agree with tsk. I have indigo tDi done 70000kms+ in 15 months 16 days giving me a decent mileage of 20+ on AC around the NCR sonepat, delhi, noida. I didnt had any major problm with car except with bonnet open s/w. some noice with clutch that died when clutch was replaced. No major problem at all.

Tata rules when it comes to ecocnomics.
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:18   #39
Team-BHP Support

Tata Indica V2 DLS@82000kms : Suspended, tyred and a breakdown

This review comes after the 66000kms review. The journey these last 18000kms(covered in about 9.5 months) has been a mixed bag.
The short story:
The car suffered the first mechanical breakdown, got new tyres, new shockers and a new battery, suffered an alternator regulator issue, and had a divorce from TASS.
For the patient folks:
My car has always gone to TASS for about every problem and every scheduled repair etc., But the breakdown issue destroyed my faith.
MY almost new Alternator/PS belt snapped at a traffic signal, leaving me without Power steering and any juice to battery. The reason Alternator bearing jam. Alternator bearings go kaput when a belt is too tight. The belt was fitted by TASS Automobile Sterling, Noida.
This was the first mechanical breakdown, and considering that I painstakingly get every minor noise/issue etc., fixed(I am of the "Stitch in time... " school).
Moreover I was finding that after service there was not much improvement in performance and engine noise. All I got after paying 3000 odd was a clean car.
So around 72K it was the last service at TASS, after which I decided to go for a more personal approach.
Around that time the car gave starting trouble, which was diagnosed due to low alternator voltage with AC and lights on.

This time I went to sector 16 to get the Alternator regulator fixed, and it cost me 400rs. A little on the higher side, but at that time I was a novice as far as independent garages were concerned.

Another factor which pushed me away from TASS was their overeagerness of overhauling everything.
Car misses : Overhaul fuel pump
Clutch judder at idle : Overhaul gearbox and all such nonsense.

So at the last service at TASS, I told them just to service the car. I even got oil changed from outside, and I could tell the service adviser was not happy at all.

At around 80K when my car wiring developed a short, these guys charged 1500+ just for labor! Talk about daylight robbery.
Here's the saga : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...competent.html

I also got shock absorbers changed from outside(Reyaz and it costed me a mere 2400 for a set of 4. Also got new tyres!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...an-market.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...o-acelere.html

So to cut the long story short, I got my last 2 services done from Sector 16, the last one from Auto Engineers, and I am extremely happy, and the indica engine is a lot smoother and happier.

What all went wrong and got changed:
First the Panasonic Base Terminal battery went Kaput, got an Amaron with 3 years warranty, which is doing pretty fine.
Then the Alternator belt snapped, leaving me stranded
Then the Alternator regulator started acting up, cost me 400rs to fix.
The shockers gave up(after running 80,000kms) got 4 for 2400rs
The Potenza GIII's lost if after around 43K. and got Apollo Acelere's for 9600
The wiring showed problems(some short) and TASS guys charged 1500 for labor
Narva left headlamp blew out full beam, was replaced by Halonex +60 100/90W and they do have a nice long beam! More coming on auto lighting thread.

The more hands on approach:
80K+ is a lot of kms of an Indica of this vintage. Infact many of indica's I have seen at this stage cannot cross 100kmph, are noise, spew out smoke and engines are on verge of overhaul. Compared to this, mine touches 135kmph on the speedo, sometimes even more with GPS showing 132kmph.
Since she will not be sold even after the new car comes, and I plan to keep her for quite some time more, I had to take things in my own hands.
So I went into serious research on technical and non technical site, including SAE papers on engine lubrication and management, and how and why do engines need overhaul, and why some engines run 200,000 miles+ without overhauls.
Based on the groundwork I found these things
1. Keep your engine oil good and change it before 10,000kms(API-CG4+ oils)
2. Never let your engine overheat
3. Get a high detergent oil always, if not sure then add an additive, most additives have high detergent content
4. Flush after one time use of high detergent mix in engine, and after that flush every 25K or so.
5. Make sure you use a XW40 or X@50 oil if you stay in a high heat area, otherwise your oil will be no different from water

If all this is done your engine will be happy way beyond 100,000kms.
The first time I ventured into Sector 16, I caught hold of a roadside guy, and gave him oil filter and oil(Shell Helix diesel API-CG4). This was one day before service at TASS where I told them just to put in the diesel filters(delphi). At TASS the intake manifold was cleaned up and air filter changed. This was first stage. I could not get any API-CI4 oil anywhere, even the synthetics which boasted API-SL/SM kind of ratings for petrol(Shell helix Ultra) could manage a measly API-CF4 for diesel. Nobody was stocking a diesel specific synthetic oil.

At the next service around 76K, I sourced Castrol GTX diesel. Its extremely rare(GTD is the favorite). Its API-CI4. Along with that I added STP engine oil treatment for the detergent effect and bought the filter kit also from Sec 16 noida, but unfortunately it was Elofic and not Delphi as it should have been.

Then came this Sunday service where I went to Auto Engineers noida
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ers-noida.html
the sent me back with the Elofic kit and told me to get Delphi instead as Elofic is cheepo kit for taxi wallahs!
I also got STP engine flush, idled for around 15-20 minutes before draining oil. They made sure the oil was drained immediately after shutting of engine, as hot oil drains faster and its better to drain oil when hot.
I wan't too worried about flushing my old engine because some 20-25K before a flush had been done. Moreover using high detergent mix in engine keeps it free of sludge.
After the flush, we put in the Castrol GTX diesel 4 liters along with STP engine oil treatment. Air filter was thoroughly cleaned using compressed air and so was the filter housing.
The guy said my brake pads are end of life and replace then after 5000kms or so.
The fluids were topped up, radiator back flow checked and brake oil topped up.
Needless to say the car is running smoothely and quietly now!

Living with and driving her:
Over this time she has given great service. The problems had been fewer than expected, allowing me to postpone my new car plans for now without worrying much.
The suspension laster 80K which is great.
The judder at low RPM has vanished now. The gears engage properly and drivetrain is smooth. Big expenses have been the tyres, but after 43K its okay!
We have been to Narkanda and Uttranchal on our trips and she never dissapoints .
Even running in 45 degrees+ in traffic jams with AC running all the time does not unfaze her. No overheating no power loss, no missing.
Overtaking is a pain, the puny 53 horses are to blame, but you get used to it.
To Sum it all up, if you take care of your indica, stop going to Tata Authorized workshops and pay attention to minute details, she will take care of you.
Not the most reliable of cars, but not the pits either. On the VFM front till date nothing comes close in the Indian automotive scene.
The parts are cheap, the mechanicals are reliable if maintained properly, and at the stage she is in right now, I expect things to be rosy even at 100,000kms, at which it will be time for a new review.
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

tsk, what sort of apartment do you live in? looks like a hooliganistic place. well nice report, and keep them coming. it is cheaper to drive, but thats just about it i guess. problems seem to be coming often. though the car is quite spacious and nice, these niggling issues + tata's service didnt prompt me to go for either a palio or indica/go.
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:12   #41
Team-BHP Support

Noida is a pretty hooliganistic place from my experience. BTW the 82K review is up, I wonder how did this thread get revived!
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:28   #42
Team-BHP Support

Whoa Brother... thats one heck of a diary.

Hmmm... let me see. Currently my car gets it mandatory oil change at each service. I am not sure what they put in but then since it is TASS and on top of that generally a reliable place I never bothered. That and of course till date it was enjoying its free service. But the coming service at 25000 kms will be a paid one. Hmmm...

So any specific things that I should do? Like maybe a different oil (Castrol GTX, you said?) and/or filter. Also, you said that STP engine flush should be used to flush the engine. And then along with the Castrol you are saying STP engine oil treatment should be added. Right? Waise yeh STP kya hai? Do I just go to an auto shop and ask for STP flush and STP oil treatment (I am sceptical whether STP oil treatment will mean anything to them)? How many liters of each? What is the Castrol:STP oil treatment ratio?
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:30   #43

Very Very cool. However, I'm a newbie here. When coupla years back, I was trying to get some small issues in mom's m800 sorted out - some alternator regularly fouling up on CNG (no lambda, nothing - carbed). I found it a pain to not only get decent mechs (here tbhp would be good), but to source *genuine* parts. How do you manage that?

Further, unlike bikes, the cost of a mis-repair in a car can be quite expensive. That ways, you've been lucky. But in our case, we called MOS. Often, friends recommend a workshop they'd have used for minor issues, but when one goes in for a major issue, isnt an A.S.S. safer?
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:17   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Whoa Brother... thats one heck of a diary.

Hmmm... let me see. Currently my car gets it mandatory oil change at each service. I am not sure what they put in but then since it is TASS and on top of that generally a reliable place I never bothered. That and of course till date it was enjoying its free service. But the coming service at 25000 kms will be a paid one. Hmmm...

So any specific things that I should do? Like maybe a different oil (Castrol GTX, you said?) and/or filter. Also, you said that STP engine flush should be used to flush the engine. And then along with the Castrol you are saying STP engine oil treatment should be added. Right? Waise yeh STP kya hai? Do I just go to an auto shop and ask for STP flush and STP oil treatment (I am sceptical whether STP oil treatment will mean anything to them)? How many liters of each? What is the Castrol:STP oil treatment ratio?
STP and Bardahl are two common companies which make Engine flushes and engine oil additives. You don't need a flush at 25000kms, just source a Can of 4 liter Castrol GTX diesel. Its a white plastic can, is 15W40 oil and specifies that it meets API-CI4 specifications.
So just tell TASS to put in that oil. You will have to buy oil yourself. After that when you drive out our a can of STP engine oil treatment. The can is good for 3-6 liters of engine oil, since indica takes in 4.2 liters engine oil, its a perfect fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitanshu View Post
Very Very cool. However, I'm a newbie here. When coupla years back, I was trying to get some small issues in mom's m800 sorted out - some alternator regularly fouling up on CNG (no lambda, nothing - carbed). I found it a pain to not only get decent mechs (here tbhp would be good), but to source *genuine* parts. How do you manage that?

Further, unlike bikes, the cost of a mis-repair in a car can be quite expensive. That ways, you've been lucky. But in our case, we called MOS. Often, friends recommend a workshop they'd have used for minor issues, but when one goes in for a major issue, isnt an A.S.S. safer?
Mis-repair of the worst kind can happen A.S.S. Have had major goofups for Palio, 118D, M800 and Indica(old one) at A.S.S So being an A.S.S. does not mean they will give you good service. All it means is that you pay more.
What good service do you expect from a service station who do not even check brake oil during service? Or leave the coolant near the min mark.
There test drive is a drive along the block. If you look at the checks in service manual, they don't even do half of them.
Old 2nd July 2007, 18:33   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
just source a Can of 4 liter Castrol GTX diesel...

...when you drive out our a can of STP engine oil treatment. The can is good for 3-6 liters of engine oil, since indica takes in 4.2 liters engine oil, its a perfect fit.
Considering that the GTX can is of 4 liters and Indica takes in 4.2 liters of engine oil won't the top-up be less than the required amount (fall short by 200ml)? Or do I get a 1 liter can of GTX as well that I should buy along with the 4 liter one.

By the way how much does the GTX can cost? Also, the STP engine oil additive and the flush can?

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd July 2007 at 18:35.

Most Viewed