Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2008, 16:51   #91
Team-BHP Support

I don't think the car is overheating.
I got this same problem around 35K service, and it was traced to a faulty thermostat.
The cooling system is fine, and I recently changed the coolant too.
The engine is not showing any signs of head problems etc., and there is no oil in the intake manifold.
I will get the thermostat changed(its anyways end of life) and see if it persists.
In that case my mechanic tells me I will have to go for a radiator flushing and checkup.
Old 16th April 2008, 22:38   #92
Senior - BHPian

Problems after servicing?

Last week I serviced (45K) my Indica V2 LSI from Green Tracks in Bangalore. Before servicing, there were the following problems:
* Auto lock acting up - after central locking, the indicator lights would not go off
* Hand brake light coming up (especially if I go over bumps) - and not going off for sometime
* Doors acting up - not opening etc.

After servicing, the doors/ central locking continue to create problems (e.g. not going off for a minute or two). The more important problem - pick up seems to have reduced, I get some jerks especially at lowers revs, and there is some noise in the engine. I did change all the filters, actuators etc.

Any idea how to tackle these problems? I am planning to take the car to Green Tracks again - and insist that everything is fixed. But it didn't seem like they had much of a clue.
Old 18th April 2008, 01:07   #93
BHPian

Tsk. Great to see the car complete 1L kms. It really shows that taking good care really makes the car last quite a while. I know you have had your share of problems with the car, but i guess it has been mostly a plesant journey, right?

Right now, i drive a Honda Accord 1993 make, which has done 185k miles (yes - thats an awful lot of miles). But the car is still in fairly good shape. I bought the car in US, saw the service records all thorugh the 15 years and i am amazed that this car can even last so long and it looks like another 50 to 100k miles is not impossible. Of course, comparing to the conditions that our cars run in India, it is far more less stressful for the cars in the US.

So, all this leads me to believe that doing some proper maintainance, cars should easily last more that 1L and still not be very high maintainance. Your car is proof of that!
Old 18th April 2008, 08:24   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Last week I serviced (45K) my Indica V2 LSI from Green Tracks in Bangalore. Before servicing, there were the following problems:
* Auto lock acting up - after central locking, the indicator lights would not go off
* Hand brake light coming up (especially if I go over bumps) - and not going off for sometime
* Doors acting up - not opening etc.

After servicing, the doors/ central locking continue to create problems (e.g. not going off for a minute or two). The more important problem - pick up seems to have reduced, I get some jerks especially at lowers revs, and there is some noise in the engine. I did change all the filters, actuators etc.

Any idea how to tackle these problems? I am planning to take the car to Green Tracks again - and insist that everything is fixed. But it didn't seem like they had much of a clue.
Do not sign the job card until you are satisfied.
And maybe change dealer. Your car could have some loose wiring somewhere.
As for the jerks etc., could be ECU settings or could be bad fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Tsk. Great to see the car complete 1L kms. It really shows that taking good care really makes the car last quite a while. I know you have had your share of problems with the car, but i guess it has been mostly a plesant journey, right?

Right now, i drive a Honda Accord 1993 make, which has done 185k miles (yes - thats an awful lot of miles). But the car is still in fairly good shape. I bought the car in US, saw the service records all thorugh the 15 years and i am amazed that this car can even last so long and it looks like another 50 to 100k miles is not impossible. Of course, comparing to the conditions that our cars run in India, it is far more less stressful for the cars in the US.

So, all this leads me to believe that doing some proper maintainance, cars should easily last more that 1L and still not be very high maintainance. Your car is proof of that!
Yup, this car has seen a lot more stress than most vehicles, including off roaders, on this forum have seen.
I believe that a stich in time saves 9, and every rattle, vibration or noise which did not belong was thoroughly inspected before waving it off.
Old 19th April 2008, 06:27   #95
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, where are you getting your car sericed these days? is it auto engineers or some other place? My Indica's 75 K service is due. Do these guys do an honest job. ( I m not as knowledgeable as you and have to rely on the expertise and the honesty of the service station blokes). One of my colleagues has recommended Shah Motors sector 2 over Nawab where I usually get my car serviced.
Old 19th April 2008, 11:03   #96
Team-BHP Support

I go to a mechanic in sec 16 market. His name is Imam and he sits near Hemkunt motors(near castrol workshop).
Does not have a shop, just a box full of tools, and most big workshops in sec 16 call him if there are any electrical problems.
Old 19th April 2008, 11:23   #97
Senior - BHPian

fumb koshun:

yeh batao ki how much of this intake manifold checking etc things you know, did you learn courtesy the car, or did you just know already in advance.
Old 19th April 2008, 12:21   #98
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Tanveer,
Just dropped my car at Shah Motors. Will share the experience in the Dealership forum when I get the car back.
Old 19th April 2008, 12:42   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
fumb koshun:

yeh batao ki how much of this intake manifold checking etc things you know, did you learn courtesy the car, or did you just know already in advance.
Much was learnt by paying attention to everything which was replaced in the car during its TASS days.
I normally open the owners manual. On the last page there is a chart on what has to be replaced at what intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Thanks Tanveer,
Just dropped my car at Shah Motors. Will share the experience in the Dealership forum when I get the car back.
Please do so.
Since Nawab and Sterling have horror stories abound, I am actually quite curious to know whether there is a TASS in noida which is not run by quacks.
Old 20th June 2008, 23:30   #100

Informative review. You could make suggestions to Tata motors for modifications you felt necessary. I own an Indica 2004 model. Servicing at concord is not satisfactory but others don't seem to do any better.
Old 21st June 2008, 01:48   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasankaram View Post
Informative review. You could make suggestions to Tata motors for modifications you felt necessary. I own an Indica 2004 model. Servicing at concord is not satisfactory but others don't seem to do any better.
Tata knows what should be done to make the car better. The problem is that there is no free lunch. So if something which makes the car better increases the price its a no no for Tata, esp in the "Taxi attractive" segment.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:51   #102
Team-BHP Support

109000 Update : Aging Gracefully...?

It was in April 2008 that she completed 100,000kms.
In end July the white elephant joined the stable, and she has become a city car now. In more than a year she's done less than 9000kms, which is a sort of record. Earlier the average was 20,000+ kms a year.
The main reason is no long distance and long local drives. For going to Delhi or long distance the other one does the job.

The past 9000kms have been a little expensive, not unexpected of a car of this age.
The first major repair was the AC compressor bearing and coil which cost a total of 3000rs (AC Gas + Labor + parts(coil and bearing). That was at 100600kms

Around 102850kms I got the service done, the cost of which including engine oil came to around 1550kms. I wanted bosch blades, but could get only syndicate.
Topped up power steering fluid and got a new air filter

Then at 103200 happened the breakdown wherein the gear shift linkage broke, and I was stuck in 4th gear. Had to drive a bit in this gear and the already aging clutch also got quite a beating. In the middle of the night got the linkage changed, and it cost 1450rs all inclusive of the labor and parts.

Around 200kms later I got the clutch plate also changed. The original clutch plate factory fitted from Tata had lasted 103000+kms, and if that gear linkage had not broken it would have done 10K more, but no need to flog dead horses.
The total damage for clutch plate + Fork + Gear oil came to 4500rs

1000kms later the AC stopped working, The odo stood at 104500, Safari was a week away, but I anyways decided to get the dashborad removed.
It turned out to be a short. In the process the vents also got cleaned and a ton of debris was removed. The AC felt like a hurricane after that! Damage? 1250rs

Next pit stop was at 106030kms with idler bearing changed and Balancing and alignment done. It was in September, the white elepthant had arrived, and the indica was doing fewer and fewer kms every month.

At 107720 (In february) got 2 tires (Apollo acc again) for 5750. Expensive. Should have gone to Lajpat nagar and saved 400rs.

Finally a few days back with Odo at 108900 got the service done, and also got the front brake pads changed.
Total cost = 1920 which included
Brake shoes, Engine oil, Oil Filter, Diesel Filters(both Delphis were pretty clogged), Brake shoes,, Coolant (1 ltr)
This time I was unable to find Castrol GTX diesel anywhere in the market. Therefore setteled for Mobil 1000 (API-CH4). 4.5L pack costed me 950rs, pretty expensive as compared to the GTX diesel.

So thats the whole saga till now
Total cost for past 9000kms inclusive of Tire Change = 21000kms.
Hopefully, nothing major coming up in near future!

Since the expenses have been over more than a year, its okay, and the running for her is restricted to around 500-600kms a month.

The engine is holding up, though some funny noises can be heard. Body panels are showing signs of rust, will get a whole coat of paint done soon. Suspension will last for another 10K kms.

So I sign off till the next update, probably a year later with 117000 on the odo?
Old 8th June 2009, 13:00   #103
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Good to read about the post 100000kms update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I wanted bosch blades, but could get only syndicate.
My OEM wipers are still doing well even if they are close to 4 years old.
Old 14th October 2010, 21:54   #104
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tanveer,
It's been more than 16 months now since you last updated this thread. I sincerely hope your old, trustworthy workhorse is still serving you without any complaints. Could you pl update us with its current status?
My July 2004 DLX has given me troublefree service for the last 81K kms (touchwood), I intend to keep it till 150K kms (or 10 years) whichever is earlier, provided it continues to be roadworthy without any major hassles. Your inputs in this regards shall be highly appreciated. I have updated a brief write-up in my thread over here -->http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ndica-dlx.html
Pl spare some time to go through it & give your valuable inputs.
Old 18th October 2010, 13:09   #105
Team-BHP Support

Yup, she is going on fine. I have not updated because I drive her barely 100-200kms every month.
the only problem has been AC gas filling required.
Its expected because the AC compressor is end of life. I am in a double mind whether to spend 20K and make her as good as new, which would mean new AC compressor, or sell her after the winters get over and get an alto or something.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks