Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 19:57   #16
Team-BHP Support

Honda uses idimetsu for oil if i remember correct, which is packaged as Honda and its a mineral oil. Hence they insist on 5k interval, which works fine.
Old 2nd May 2008, 21:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Honda uses idimetsu for oil if i remember correct, which is packaged as Honda and its a mineral oil. Hence they insist on 5k interval, which works fine.
The funny thing is - for Civic honda recommends 10K interval and for NHC 5K.

Both NHC & Civic use mineral oil.

So I guess, even within mineral category there are different qualities.

When I asked my service engineer if they can use the Civic engine oil in my NHC and then change every 10K, he was not sure!!!

Of course, I have no issues with 5K interval as the oil price of Rs. 143/L is not that high and their billing is very transparent. And during every service, they spruce up many small small things like air filter cleaning, brake adjustment, build and chassis inspection, etc. Why postpone any checks to 10K? Anything found earlier the better...

BTW, I am approaching 58000 KM mark on my NHC and still on stock brake pads and shoes. And not even once has any service guy talked me into changing the brake pads/shoes un-necessarily. In fact, in every service, they appreciate such a long run of these parts. I like such simplicity and honesty of the service personnel.

Overall, I would say NHC ownership is one of the lightest on my pocket.
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:53   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW, I am approaching 58000 KM mark on my NHC and still on stock brake pads and shoes. And not even once has any service guy talked me into changing the brake pads/shoes un-necessarily.
Wow! Near 60K on the stock pads. You must have some helluva easy driving style. I would still suggest that you change them at this point to avoid damaging the brake disc.
Old 4th May 2008, 14:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

>100ml engine oil costs around Rs 625. Oil filter costs around Rs. 100.

The confusion is there because oil is charged in multiples of 100ml in the bill. I will put up the exact line when I get my hands on the bill (in the shop).
Old 4th May 2008, 15:15   #20
BHPian

Great. It looks, buying a Honda only costs a fortune and maintaining it does not. Hope all Honda City / Civic owners have the same type of expenses.
Old 4th May 2008, 21:50   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wow! Near 60K on the stock pads. You must have some helluva easy driving style. I would still suggest that you change them at this point to avoid damaging the brake disc.
Yup! And that's easy but now slow!!

My best lap time from Pune (Pashan) to Mumbai (Goregaon) has been 2 Hours 10 minutes (parking to parking). And I, for one, know for sure - from my first hand experience - that NHC iDSI tops out at ~172 kmph on the speedo
Old 7th May 2008, 09:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have my recent service (20000kms) bill in front of me and it reads --

Engine Oil (100 ML) ---- RTLP (Unit) 15.79 ---- Qty - 37 ----- Cost 658.02
Old 7th May 2008, 11:15   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I have my recent service (20000kms) bill in front of me and it reads --

Engine Oil (100 ML) ---- RTLP (Unit) 15.79 ---- Qty - 37 ----- Cost 658.02
Almost perfect.
So they have charged you Rs.157.9/L and filled in 3.7L (100ml more than what the Owner manual says).

Which city was this in and which dealer?
Old 7th May 2008, 11:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which city was this in and which dealer? 7th May 2008 09:59
I am in Cochin - the dealer is Peninsular Honda.
It's good to know that the figures are almost spot on.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Which city was this in and which dealer?

Since wilful is in Cochin, it should be Peninsular Honda at Cochin. Only one dealer here. The dealer is same for me.

>So they have charged you Rs.157.9/L and filled in 3.7L (100ml more than what > the Owner manual says).

The point is that even for the 5000kms service where oil filter is not changed, they have charged for 3.7L in my case and I expect the same in Wilful's case also. I should check it up with them. With only a single dealer, fighting has its own restrictions.

If you go through the first post, they have changed oil filter by mistake in the 1500okms service (at least they have billed for it), but the oil charges are for the lower oil requirement. So are they really doing theri jobs correctly?
Old 7th May 2008, 16:51   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

> Which city was this in and which dealer?

Since wilful is in Cochin, it should be Peninsular Honda at Cochin. Only one dealer here. The dealer is same for me.

>So they have charged you Rs.157.9/L and filled in 3.7L (100ml more than what > the Owner manual says).

The point is that even for the 5000kms service where oil filter is not changed, they have charged for 3.7L in my case and I expect the same in Wilful's case also. I should check it up with them. With only a single dealer, fighting has its own restrictions.

If you go through the first post, they have changed oil filter by mistake in the 1500okms service (at least they have billed for it), but the oil charges are for the lower oil requirement. So are they really doing theri jobs correctly?
You have got a point there.
Send all these bill details to HSCIL, with a reference to the relevant page numbers from the user manual, and see how things change. Though the amount is minor, it's an integrity issue and will be dealt with high importance. Don't worry about the only dealer in the city and the way they will treat your car in the future...eveyone is scared of a knowlegeable customer (even more so of a customer who reads all the pages of the owner's manual and applies that information to the actual service bills).
Old 7th May 2008, 17:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Send all these bill details to HSCIL, with a reference to the relevant page
> numbers from the user manual, and see how things change.

I will do that after giving the dealer a chance. In the past they have compensated for their errors. I prefer solving things at the lowest level possible.

Slightly off topic.

> Though the amount is minor, it's an integrity issue and will be dealt with
> high importance.

I know and understand about the integrity issue. I spent 26000 to uphold integrity defending in a consumer protection case. But it would have been of good business sense if I had agreed to give the 265 which I was asked for before the case was filed.
Old 16th May 2008, 11:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
My 15K service was done close to 11K. I think they were confused between 10K & 15K service.
Old 22nd July 2008, 09:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

ok guys i am coming for the carburettor world and dont have much experience on
fuel injection vehicles but wont the Honda need a tune up job or something.
Only Oil seems to have been changed is it all that a Honda engine needs ???
Old 22nd July 2008, 09:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Honda has started to use synthetic oil, this time i changed over from Magnetic to synthetic.

If i remember right the advisor told me that they are using synthetic only for civic's and accord's from now on...

My ohc is behaving much better then what it was, so far so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
The funny thing is - for Civic honda recommends 10K interval and for NHC 5K.

Both NHC & Civic use mineral oil.

So I guess, even within mineral category there are different qualities.

When I asked my service engineer if they can use the Civic engine oil in my NHC and then change every 10K, he was not sure!!!

Of course, I have no issues with 5K interval as the oil price of Rs. 143/L is not that high and their billing is very transparent. And during every service, they spruce up many small small things like air filter cleaning, brake adjustment, build and chassis inspection, etc. Why postpone any checks to 10K? Anything found earlier the better...

BTW, I am approaching 58000 KM mark on my NHC and still on stock brake pads and shoes. And not even once has any service guy talked me into changing the brake pads/shoes un-necessarily. In fact, in every service, they appreciate such a long run of these parts. I like such simplicity and honesty of the service personnel.

Overall, I would say NHC ownership is one of the lightest on my pocket.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks