Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2008, 12:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

quite sorry to hear this waiting for further updates
Old 19th May 2008, 12:31   #17
BHPian

Hey take heart....can happen to any car. However, waiting to know how long the service advisors take to identify the problem, spares to arrive, and the vehicle returned.

My *** experience in this regard was fairly good considering I got free 24/7 breakdown service for a conked alternator issue in my 1.6. The car was returned within 48 hours
Old 19th May 2008, 12:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
eclectix,

Sorry to hear that it was a bad experience in the end. as nitrous and Jaggu suggested you should check the fuel level in the tank. I really doubt Yellow indicator was on when you switched off the car.
The fuel was slightly less than the half way mark. But when checked the fuel wasn't coming on to the engine, so to build the pressure (on insistence of the service guy) we put 10 more liters. but didn't work.
Old 19th May 2008, 12:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

very interesting experience - harrowing too. I am very eager to learn the outcome of two things - FIAT Product (should be a minor incident hopfully) - "TATA SERVICE" (less said, better).
Old 19th May 2008, 13:04   #20
BHPian

Diagnosis - Fuel Pump

Went to the A-S-S, Prerana on OMR at 10 in the morning. The Manager incharge of Fiat was still on leave (On Saturday also, he was on leave), so contacted his second in command.

Told him I wanted some quick action as I was planning a long trip etc...

Immediately he put two of the boys on this job.
  • They started by checking all the wiring for any issues. -No Issues
  • Fuses - No Issues
  • Relay - No Issue (They checked with a spare also)
  • Spark Plugs - No Issues (They cleaned it anyway)
  • They changed the battery & tried - No Use
TIME- 10-45
  • Fuel line - No petrol coming to the Engine
Then they removed the fuel pump and the guy took it inside for testing (I wasn't allowed inside that part). He came back after some time & said its gone.

I asked the service advisor to check it with a spare fuel pump.

Saar we are out of a spare fuel pump. The one we had was fitted to some other vehicle on Friday.

Just then another Palio 1.6 came in for first service.

I asked him whether they can check with that car's fuel pump.

We cant do that Saar, we have to take the customers permission blah blah blah.

I tried to pressurise him, he asked me to talk to his Manager.

I spoke to the Top guy and convinced him to instruct the service advisor to remove that pump and try it in my car.

It took about 15 minutes to remove the FP from the other car and fit it into mine.

I turned the ignition & voila, engine came to life. So Fuel Pump was the culprit after all.

I asked the guy, how long it will take to get a new one. He said it might take a few days. Meanwhile the Manager offered to check with other dealers (Concorde & Manipal) for the stock. No luck with the other dealers.

Immediately they raised a order for 2 FPs from Pune. I asked the Manager to follow it up for speedy delivery.

Meanwhile I also got the details of the order for my reference and left the A_S_S.
Old 19th May 2008, 13:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

So the fuel pump is under warranty , you dont have to pay for any ?
Old 19th May 2008, 13:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

oh jis! it must have been scary :(.

any reason why the FP went kaapoot?

how did you manage to push the car to the left? i thought the PS wont work if the engine is not running!
Old 19th May 2008, 13:26   #23
BHPian

This is really Shocking how can the palios be so unreliable ???
Old 19th May 2008, 13:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

@ ravi - i guess mechanical parts can go kaput and that will not make a car unreliable. lack of availability of parts (FIAT) is something which is common with Fiat. you own a GTX like me - how many times has it let you down?

as in my case - i too face with the starting issue and it is something similar to eclectix's car. *touchwood*

sorry for going off-topic and no hard feelings
Old 19th May 2008, 13:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

eclec

personally if i were you, i would not have asked the workshop guys to try someone elses fuel pump on your car. its not ethical to ask for that. whatever it is, everyone's car is sacred and is liked and loved by its owner, and no owner would like these kinds of things being done without their permission.

other than that, hope your car comes out safe and sound soon.
Old 19th May 2008, 13:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
So the fuel pump is under warranty , you dont have to pay for any ?
It is Covered under Warranty. NO charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
oh jis! it must have been scary :(.

any reason why the FP went kaapoot?

how did you manage to push the car to the left? i thought the PS wont work if the engine is not running!
I asked the service Advisor the same thing. He said its just a freak incident. The manager also confirmed later that, since the Tata-Fiat tie up they've changed only 2 FPs under warranty at this A_S_S. (My car being the second)

As for the PS, it doesn't work. You need to use a lot of muscle power to steer it in the right direction. The guy from the breakdown service was a pro in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
This is really Shocking how can the palios be so unreliable ???
Freak incidents can happen with any car. When I bought my first car (M800) in 1997, the fan belt or some other belt gave up in the first week, before I could clock 500 KMS. That doesnt make it a bad car. I still use it.
Old 19th May 2008, 13:50   #27
BHPian

THE first step for the A S S would be to try locating it from any another FIAT/ TATA dealership .
If they cant locate then placing an order with manufacturing counterpart s generally spares which go kaput in regular wear and tear are sufficiently stocked as in your case but sorry fuel pump s dont go away with normal wear and tear but scince they are aware of it conking down as you say there was a car same one which got it s replaced prior to yours !! IT should be stocked !!!!
I got to know about this story once on our trip back to mumbai from aurangabad our qualis starting heating up for no rhyme or reason we took it up to a local garage the mechanic there removed the thermostat {not in my presence} and asked us to pursue our journey which we did . On reaching mumbai all was well but next day onwards in bumper to bumper trrafic qualis used to heat up almost to the red zone . The very next day i reached LAKOZY TOYOTA and the car was inspected for all normal procedure leaking hose leaking radiotor but of no avail as there was no loss of coolant or water . Even the heater and it s return valve for coolant was checked but of no avail finally they came up with where is the thermostat i said where is it suppose to be then they pointed out it was nt hence the heating !! Now the thermostat was nt at stock at any dealership s in mumbai nor was it in stock with TKM banglore . Hence it had to be sourced from JAPAN that s what i was told had to wait for it for 3 day s . It reached the dealership and they called me i was made to wait for 30 mins and then after putting the thermostat all s well till date 7 yr s down the line 1lac 30k km s on board ! !
Old 19th May 2008, 13:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
eclec

personally if i were you, i would not have asked the workshop guys to try someone elses fuel pump on your car. its not ethical to ask for that. whatever it is, everyone's car is sacred and is liked and loved by its owner, and no owner would like these kinds of things being done without their permission.

other than that, hope your car comes out safe and sound soon.
Guilty on that count.

But honestly speaking I would have let the A_S_S try mine on someone else's car under the circumstances. But then, thats me.

Anyway I made sure that it was done under the Manager's supervision. Only after I had his assurance that its a simple in & out procedure.

EOD I'm not happy about the matter, but under the circumstances I dint have any choice.

Last edited by eclectix 1st : 19th May 2008 at 13:56.
Old 19th May 2008, 13:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
@ ravi - i guess mechanical parts can go kaput and that will not make a car unreliable. lack of availability of parts (FIAT) is something which is common with Fiat. you own a GTX like me - how many times has it let you down?
Yes, I own a GTX and it has let me down only once as have mentioned in this post earlier. I understood that 2001 GTX's were completely imported and later these have been manufactured in India. Was just wondering if the Quality checks have gone down the benchmark standards.

However, it can happen with any make, any car but thought these could be very rare incidents with palios compared to other manufacturers. IMHO am not trying to offend any body' here. just expressing my opinion here

Last edited by ravikn : 19th May 2008 at 13:58.
Old 19th May 2008, 18:19   #30
BHPian

Got a call from the Service advisor. Said that the FP will be reaching the workshop by Friday.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed