Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 11:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

woww.. Looks like you had to make your own road and reclaim your life by selling the Safari rather than buying it.

BTW, what is your replacement vehicle for the Safari? Scorpio?
Old 29th May 2008, 11:59   #17
BHPian

Thanks everyone for reading through my longish post and your comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
This was which year model/variant and how much did you get for this ??.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
No wonder why the resale value of Scorpio is better than that of the Safari.
Actually the resale value isn't very bad. Without going into specifics let me say, I lost 20% on the car and 50% on the accessories for a car that was about a year and a half old. This seems inline with average market prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Looks like you had to make your own road and reclaim your life by selling the Safari rather than buying it.
Thats a little harsh! I wasn't bothered by it THAT much
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
BTW, what is your replacement vehicle for the Safari? Scorpio?
Most probably it will not be a SUV. I used a new m2di for about a 1000Kms this summer. I love it for its AC and engine but noticed two issues:
- It was a brand new vehicle and the front left wheel started making cheen-cheen sound after about 500kms of usage. Eventually, turned out to be a rubber sheet type of a thing touching the tyre, but we were **** scared as the noise surfaced in the middle of nowhere. As far as possible I would like to avoid such experiences.
- The ride is still bumpy (I don't know if m2di has the new suspension or not). And, my friend who had to sit on the jump seat for about 30Kms, promptly vomitted.

I am inclined to think that these vehicles with a high amount of roll are not for me. May be I'll look at a sedan or a hatchback as well (When is Fiat getting GP here ?).

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 29th May 2008, 12:08   #18
BHPian

the 3.0 ltr safari reminds me of the Sumo 3ltr which i guess should be sharing the same engine.

We were 10 of us + luggage and the engine has amazing torque even in 4th and top gear up the ghat sections (pune to nasik) does not feel stressed in any way.

sad to hear the niggles you had to live with owning the vehicle (requires alot of patience) )

have fun with the lancer!!
Old 29th May 2008, 12:12   #19
BHPian

I think you got a good price for it (also would think that your car was very well kept, and a low-mileage one). I think the newer generation Safaris command good resale.

It wasn't the case before. Whenever I window-shopped a diesel SUV, the Mahindra's commanded a premium - a 1995 MM540 in Kerala is 50% more expensive than a Sierra (though the Sierra offers better ride and a better refined engine). I understand that they are not to be compared though.
Bolero's second hand prices are sky high (not the invader) as well.

Same used to be the case with Safari (a couple of years back, I could get a 2001 model Safari in Bangalore for about 2.7 lakhs).. Will I ever get a 5 year old Scorp at that price?

Guess Safari is hot selling now (better in quality than the earlier ones) and hence there is a better resale market as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Thanks everyone for reading through my longish post and your comments.

Actually the resale value isn't very bad. Without going into specifics let me say, I lost 20% on the car and 50% on the accessories for a car that was about a year and a half old. This seems inline with average market prices.
Cheers,
Su-47
Old 29th May 2008, 13:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi Su-47

That was a very honest post there and yes if the vehicle creates more headache than the advantages it delivers to you, there really is no reason to hang on to it - as you right pointed out, you dont buy a vehicle to get an ego trip or bully autorickshaws on the road.

Have fun with the Lancer. I hope to sell my Dicor soon too, but only to pick up a 2.2.
Old 29th May 2008, 13:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid: What are the major advantages of a 2.2 over the 3.0? I have heard people say 2.2 is better but not aware how.
Old 29th May 2008, 13:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Steeroid: What are the major advantages of a 2.2 over the 3.0? I have heard people say 2.2 is better but not aware how.
Search the forum and you will find any number of threads on the 2.2 and its comparison with the 3.0. Physician, heal thyself!
Old 29th May 2008, 13:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

LOL alright Sir will do
Old 29th May 2008, 13:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Then, why our alliance didn't work out well. Read on:

Driveability: It was uncomfortable to drive the truck in the peak hour traffic in BLR. The gear ratios of 2nd and 3rd coupled with the narrow power band made it uncomfortable. Its not impossible to drive, its plain inconvenient.
Tata Safari 3.0 was a shortcut from tata just to have a product untill they have the good 2.2 up and running down the line.
The Safari 3.0 has really very narrow powerband. This made tata to go for gearing that suited very long stints at highway. In the city this resulted in a vehicle that is very, very difficult to drive.

Quote:
I decided that if I am not happy with something, no point in living with it. At one point, the thought about rectifying the issues (better brakes, overhead AC..) came to my mind, but I couldn't convince myself. So, we had no choice but to part-ways.

Cheers,
Su-47

Great decision. You now wont pull on the with the car and everyday think " Its better if I sell this car and use another ". You made a perfectly correct ( and bold, may I add ) decision. I admire you here.

Looks like people will easily reclaim their life after selling this car.
Old 29th May 2008, 13:51   #25
BHPian

Su-47, it is said that you should always bend a little than break, and i am sure you must have sacrificed for long then decided to sell....i can understand some people cant take even the tiny issues like rattling...i did not like it so i sold my Wagon R in just 11 months...and have decided that i will never buy a Maruti...

Secondly if you are not comfortable and confident about the vehicle you are driving it is always better to part ways...

i always wanted to own Safari 3.0 / 2.2, and still fascinated with it, but i somehow landed with Optra Magnum...and still struggling to find the driving confidence and comfort of Ford Ikon....
Old 29th May 2008, 14:17   #26
BANNED

Good review , and a honest one.

Sad you have gone through so much with your 3 Ltr Dicor.

It might be a one off car manufactured with these many niggles.

Good you got rid of it,
But what about the next buyer who might be on T-BHP

Anyways choose your next ride soon.
Old 29th May 2008, 14:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The Safari 3.0 has really very narrow powerband. This made tata to go for gearing that suited very long stints at highway. In the city this resulted in a vehicle that is very, very difficult to drive.

Looks like people will easily reclaim their life after selling this car.
I am guessing you are speaking from personal experience here.

I drive a 3.0 and have driven it in all possible traffic conditions and road surfaces (or no roads). I have never felt the powerband to be an issue in traffic.

There is enough torque to keep moving at any traffic speed.
Old 29th May 2008, 14:27   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I am guessing you are speaking from personal experience here.

I drive a 3.0 and have driven it in all possible traffic conditions and road surfaces (or no roads). I have never felt the powerband to be an issue in traffic.

There is enough torque to keep moving at any traffic speed.

with you on this. even me drives the 3ltr in Bengaluru city traffic, Narrowest of chickpet road, diched it, abused, used neatly. All through the 3 ltr has come out a winner.but never felt any handling issues.

There's a particular way to drive this SUV. You adhere to it and the Beast behaves as per you.
Old 29th May 2008, 14:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
It might be a one off car manufactured with these many niggles.
Pavan, I dont think it was a one off car, and it didnt have any major issue at all. As I've mentioned earlier, it had only two issues: stuck door lock and oil-leakage. Both of them got fixed once and got fixed forever.

I feel my truck was one of the better ones. It had the smoothest clutch and slickest shift of a couple of Safaris I've driven. Since I do not drive with music, I tend to notice every small noise and get troubled by it. BTW, I think small noises keep occuring on other people's Safari as well. Others may be ok with it because:
- The minor noises get drowned in music.
- The pros far outweigh such small things. For example: they may have a lot of highway travel. And we all know who is the cruising king.
- They may require occasional offroading.

Let me say this: It is not a bad vehicle at all. If you do some amount of intercity-travel, need a vehicle with good ride and ground clearance and are willing to ignore some minor issues, it should do fine. It is just that it couldn't please me because of issues I've listed in the first post.
Old 29th May 2008, 14:53   #30
BHPian

I agree with you Su, we had bought the car around the same time. The same niggles that you mentioned exist in my car too (especially the creaks and rattles), maybe they do not bother me as much as it did to you!

The main reason I am still sticking to my vehicle is its comfort, space and its stability over bad roads.

Glad to know that the price didnt depreciate so much!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed