Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2008, 00:15   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I think I said it has very narrow power band. If I am not wrong, the 3.0 did redline at 3K rpm. This is where the trouble was. I changed gear at 2K, and by the time I am in 3rd I have to brake, and as the vehicle is high geared, instant take off ( required in cities ) is not possible in anything but 1st gear.

The motor wont pull before 1500-1700 rpm and would trail at around 3000rpm. Thats why I mentioned about the narrow band and this is irritating in the city.
Whatever the power band may be, one has to adapt ones' driving style to it. You may have found it uncomfortable - but you must see the way Steeroid and his 3.0 snorts up the tails of other rides - no evidence of any lag of any sort what-so-ever!

No two vehicles or no two drivers are alike - Its all about SYNC!!

PEACE!
Old 31st May 2008, 00:16   #62
BANNED

Guys i feel we should get on now.

There are some people who find sweet grapes sour.

Out of hundreds there might be 2 of them who dislike the Safari, but think about the rest which is a clear majority.

We dont have to prove a point, its a known fact and lets be happy with it.

Lets not contradict over facts.
Old 31st May 2008, 10:56   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Out of hundreds there might be 2 of them who dislike the Safari, but think about the rest which is a clear majority.

We dont have to prove a point, its a known fact and lets be happy with it.

Lets not contradict over facts.
Pavan, IMHO, there is no need for this rather condescending attitude regarding Su-47's decision.
He has posted his views and he has every right to abide by his judgement/requirements. Those also happen to be FACTS for HIM.

Pecentages do not need to be brought in; he is choosing a personal vehicle.
Old 31st May 2008, 11:25   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Hi agbenny, I did try to at first, but he did after all like the vehicle and went ahead with the purchase yesterday evening. Will keep you all updated on the repairs being undertaken and the vehicle in general.
Please do. I pray for him to be happy with his car.
Old 31st May 2008, 13:04   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Pavan, IMHO, there is no need for this rather condescending attitude regarding Su-47's decision.
He has posted his views and he has every right to abide by his judgement/requirements. Those also happen to be FACTS for HIM.

Pecentages do not need to be brought in; he is choosing a personal vehicle.

Anup thats exactly what i meant.
Old 31st May 2008, 13:22   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anup thats exactly what i meant.
Thanks, Pavan. As they say - one man's meat can be another man's poison!
To each his own, and may the force be with them!
Old 1st June 2008, 21:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

i completely agree to SU-47, this is because of my own personal experience.
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Thanks, Pavan. As they say - one man's meat can be another man's poison!
Nearly fell of the chair laughing .... thats a good one!!

Anup .. Sorry, but the operative word here is "NECTAR"

Last edited by kb100 : 2nd June 2008 at 10:34.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Nearly fell of the chair laughing .... thats a good one!!

Anup .. Sorry, but the operative word here is "NECTAR"
Aye, aye, Sir! WBD! (Will be done).

So here goes: One man's nectar can be another man's poison!
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:27   #70
Senior - BHPian

I am assuming that Su-47 owned a lx version dicor.
The problem with lx airconditioning in indian summers is that it just isnt sufficient if you are used to a chiller of an ac. I say this after having tried an lx in th afternoon in mumbai. in march prior to my purchase. And as SU - 47 has rightly pointed out that the blower speeds after 2 stages is really noisy. It actually sounds like an industrial blower.
IMO for efficient cooling the dual ac is really required in the safari. The lx version ac is a compromise of sorts made by tata for the lx version and eventually the entire ac mechanism probably gets overloaded and then ac problems begin. Then add to it the huge glasshouse effect of all the huge windows and the windscreen. No amount/kind of film can reduce heat radiating inside the cabin.
When i drive my safari after 11am i switch the overhead unit on medium speed and the dashboard unit at position 2 blower and ac. Its very effective and the cabin cools in no time an stays cool with even 5 occupants t 12-2 in the afternoon.
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:50   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hey Su-47, sorry to hear that our tribe now has one member less. Its a pity that you had more than the tolerable quota of issues mate & I can't blame you for parting company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
i learnt the hard way that engine must be taken to 3K before shifting a gear or else as soon as you shifted upwards, the car is out of narrow ( mostly the effective powerband was 1500rpm to 1700rpm i.e. from 1300-1500 to 3000 rpm) powerband.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
buddy,you dont know how to drive a safari in city.thats what i can make out of your posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Whatever the power band may be, one has to adapt ones' driving style to it.

No two vehicles or no two drivers are alike - Its all about SYNC!!
Absolutely! After almost 20 months, I find this "narrow" powerband a complete myth. You try looking for a sedan-like response & you're likely to be way way disappointed

PS: I'm planning to sell my 3.0 Dicor as well but not for another couple of years. At that point, if the Fortuner is out & if its reasonably priced, then......who knows?

PPS: I see the surrogate Scorpio fanboys are "lurkin" in the wings on this thread, so shhhhhhhh boys, "they" are all ears!

Last edited by suman : 3rd June 2008 at 16:54.
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
PPS: I see the surrogate Scorpio fanboys are "lurkin" in the wings on this thread, so shhhhhhhh boys, "they" are all ears!

i really wont agree to that. i am a "scorpio fanboy" because even i have gone through all that SU-47 mentioned.
neways SU-47, decided on your next buy?
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:27   #73
BANNED

Sad that you didn't like it in the end. Hope your next vehicle gives you more joy!

I don't fully agree with this narrow powerband theory either. Sure it is narrower than a petrol car but plenty of action happens between 750-800 rpm and 3000 rpm. The rev limiter kicks in at 3500 rpm (in neutral).
Old 3rd June 2008, 19:28   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I am assuming that Su-47 owned a lx version dicor.
Spot on. I've also heard that cooling with OH unit is pretty fast and nice. The dealer did offer it as a fitment, but, I felt it takes away the feeling of spaciousness to certain extent.

Quote:
Hey Su-47, sorry to hear that our tribe now has one member less. Its a pity that you had more than the tolerable quota of issues mate & I can't blame you for parting company.
Suman, good to see your comments.
Quote:
Absolutely! After almost 20 months, I find this "narrow" powerband a complete myth. You try looking for a sedan-like response & you're likely to be way way disappointed
I felt that it had something to do with the min speed that the truck could do. At around 1000-rpm in 1st-gear, it used to do about 10Kmph. This is insanely fast for the crawling traffic I encountered in bangalore. Even if you leave the clutch and let it idle, you would start closing the gap in front of you pretty rapidly. You cant really do half clutch as high torque would fry it up quickly (also Safari's clutch is one of the most expensive ones). If you press the clutch completely, the behemoth would sometimes want to roll as fast if not faster requiring a gentle tap on the brake. I had to do this innumerable number of times for the rush-hour commute, and it was not a very entertaining experience.

Maybe, there is a better way of handling the above situation. If it can be explained in writing, I can try that out next time I drive my ex-truck. I am still at good terms with the buyer.

Cheers,
Su-47

Last edited by Su-47 : 3rd June 2008 at 19:31.
Old 3rd June 2008, 19:35   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
neways SU-47, decided on your next buy?
I have all the time in the world. For now, I'm pretty ok with the lancer I've to take care of.
Quote:
Pavan, I didnt fully understand your comments... Perhaps, my tastebuds are not evolved. What I did was to go by what my tastebuds told me, rather than forcing them to appreciate something just because they were subjected to it.

I am inclined to think that you really didnt want your comments to be as harsh as they've turned out to be.

Last edited by Su-47 : 3rd June 2008 at 19:42.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed