Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2008, 19:51   #76
Senior - BHPian

about the narrow powerband, i feel its definitely a problem for city dwellers. its cities, such a narrow powerband directly implies frequent gearshifts which is a chore.
yes, it can be resolved if you change your driving habits, but isnt machine meant to be made to work the way man wants... or is it vice-versa?
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:43   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
...yes, it can be resolved if you change your driving habits, but isnt machine meant to be made to work the way man wants... or is it vice-versa?
Well said, Raj!
A point LOST on many.
Do you see how many have criticized Su-47 for being 'unable' to 'handle' the beast?
Indeed, it is the beast that must do what I want, and not vice-versa!
Old 4th June 2008, 07:25   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
raj_5004 : ... but isnt machine meant to be made to work the way man wants... or is it vice-versa?
anupmathur : Indeed, it is the beast that must do what I want, and not vice-versa!
Let's be practical. If a vehicle was designed as per the needs of one person, then it would not meet the needs of the rest of the market. And even if you overcome all challenges and were able to design something to your liking & thinking & driving style, external factors like traffic, fuel etc will make sure that you will have new challenges to take care of.

A person may find the M800 the best vehicle. I dont. I cant even think of sitting in one without missing my truck. There's enough makes & models in the market. A person has to check out what he wants, and buy that. SU has realised that the Dicor was not what he's comfortable with, and he gave it up. On the other hand, there are enough Dicor owners who are able to tame that beast and enjoy their drives. People who have found that the 'narrow' power band is just great to give them the reqd power without having to floor the pedal.

IMO, the discussion now seems to be going towards making the above two points meet. Tata is not going to change it for him. SU & the Dicor have parted ways, and let them be. SU will find one that's just right for him (if it is not the lancer), and the 3.0 Dicor is already out.
Old 4th June 2008, 08:51   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
SU & the Dicor have parted ways, and let them be.
Condor. That is a very well presented argument!
Old 4th June 2008, 09:57   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes, it can be resolved if you change your driving habits, but isnt machine meant to be made to work the way man wants... or is it vice-versa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Indeed, it is the beast that must do what I want, and not vice-versa!
If I test drove the vehicle & still went ahead & bought it - what then? The powerband of the Dicor is known to one & all. Was it because I was fooling myself that I'd be able to send the "narrow" powerband out of the window once I "tamed" the beast? LOL.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
SU has realised that the Dicor was not what he's comfortable with, and he gave it up. On the other hand, there are enough Dicor owners who are able to tame that beast and enjoy their drives. People who have found that the 'narrow' power band is just great to give them the reqd power without having to floor the pedal.
Well said Condor
Old 4th June 2008, 10:35   #81
Senior - BHPian

i completely agree to that. also i am not against any car or its owner here. but when a person doesnt like something in his car, is it fair to criticise him by saying its just a myth??
also about the narrow powerband issue, i drove the safari 3.0 DICOR for about a year and half and frankly found it frustrating! its not that you cant tame this beast but its just that the competition is easier to drive. no offence meant to anyone pls.
Old 4th June 2008, 10:59   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but when a person doesnt like something in his car, is it fair to criticise him by saying its just a myth??
Hey, I have a 3.0 litre too so its just my opinion. Besides, I think you got it wrong - I was referring to aaggoswami's posts & I don't think he's used the vehicle long enough to talk about the powerband.

About being able to drive it or not drive it - well, to each his own I'd say & that's how it should be. I just think that a big deal is being made out of "taming" the narrow powerband whereas its no big deal as such.

Last edited by suman : 4th June 2008 at 11:02.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:17   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I was referring to aaggoswami's posts & I don't think he's used the vehicle long enough to talk about the powerband.

LOL, may I ask what is a reasonable period for which one must use a vehicle before one is 'qualified' to comment on its power-band?!
Old 4th June 2008, 11:23   #84
Senior - BHPian

Grow up, boys and girls.

It was Su's truck, his money and his personal likes and dislikes. There's nothing to be gained by .

Let us not use someone else's misfortune to drive home our points - dont fight like vultures over a carcass.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:37   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Grow up, boys and girls.

It was Su's truck, his money and his personal likes and dislikes. There's nothing to be gained by .

Let us not use someone else's misfortune to drive home our points - dont fight like vultures over a carcass.

very well said...
Old 4th June 2008, 12:41   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I have a 3.0 litre too so its just my opinion. Besides, I think you got it wrong - I was referring to aaggoswami's posts & I don't think he's used the vehicle long enough to talk about the powerband.

About being able to drive it or not drive it - well, to each his own I'd say & that's how it should be. I just think that a big deal is being made out of "taming" the narrow powerband whereas its no big deal as such.
hey pal, sorry if i mis-interpreted your post, but since you had quoted my post, i thought you were referring to my comment.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:43   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I do agree, however, one last point before I get out of his thread since Anup has put forward the question so nicely
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
LOL, may I ask what is a reasonable period for which one must use a vehicle before one is 'qualified' to comment on its power-band?!
Well, a few things here -
  • the powerband is known to one & all even before driving it so mere "commenting" on it can be done by all & sundry
  • IMHO one becomes "qualified" to comment on the driveability factor of that powerband if you have lived with the vehicle for a reasonable period of time, perhaps six months or more. SU-47 did & he decided that it was a pain. Fair enough. I think aaggoswami drove it for a short while only (I may be wrong here) which is why I mentioned what I did.
Also, when I say "myth", I'm referring to the general perception that the narrow powerband affects the driveability. I did suffer from the same misconception during the many test drives that I'd taken before I took the plunge. The misconception was corrected in the later stages of my test drives & during the initial stages of my ownership experience.

PM me if you need any further clarification & we can continue the discussions off-line

Quote:
hey pal, sorry if i mis-interpreted your post, but since you had quoted my post, i thought you were referring to my comment.
Hey, no sweat Raj cheers:

Last edited by suman : 4th June 2008 at 12:46.
Old 4th June 2008, 13:09   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PM me if you need any further clarification & we can continue the discussions off-line
No need, Suman. I stand enlightened. Thank you.
Old 4th June 2008, 13:12   #89
BANNED

Hey,

I thought this thread was dead by now.

Lets not fight over this again guys.

One bad mango in a tree doesnt mean that you have to fell the tree.

Maybe the eater's tounge was bad.

C'mon guys lets get oncheers:

Note from mod: Do not use more than 2 smileys per post

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th June 2008 at 14:59. Reason: smileys: Only Two smileys per post allowed
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th June 2008, 14:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
One bad mango in a tree doesnt mean that you have to fell the tree.

Maybe the eater's tounge was bad.

Tsk...tsk...you have my sympathies, Pavan.

And I'm sure you mean 'tongue' was bad!

I see no reason to hurl such invectives at Su-47.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks