Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:17   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...viva-crdi.html

I was facing the same problem that i described in above thread since the past 2-3 days. It was a major irritant, road is empty in front of my eyes and i depress my foot on accelarator and nothing happens, i am stuck. Release the gas pedal and press again, it goes forward.

It happened while going to work so decided to stop at Lakshmi Hyundai and my favorite service advisor asked me to leave the vehicle for a couple of days for a complete check-up. So i decided to leave the vehicle on the way back home.

In the evening, when i started back from office, problem disappears and i was gunning the engine all the way to the service center as i decided enroute to nip this situation at the bud.

After leaving the car at the service center in a rush to leave for an appointment I realized i forgot my laptop bag in the back. I didnt realize till after reaching my destination and immediately called them and they confirmed its with them. I heaved a sigh of relief and my respect for my SA went up a notch.

Went to collect my laptop this morning and they said the accelarator sensor went kaput

He told me that part is not with them and he is trying to source it and will cost Rs.5,500. Can someone confirm if this amount is correct?

Also, he mentioned that he will try and see if he can rectify this issue without having to replace the sensor at all.

Which service center guy will promise you that? Each time i visit Hyundai A.S.S, i get a surprise ( of the best kind) and note why their cars are selling so well.

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd September 2009 at 14:19.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:04   #77
BHPian

Looks like they are slowly selling you a new car part by part...Does it make sense to trade this in for a new one in one go? [Wink Wink]
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:14   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore_ftw View Post
Looks like they are slowly selling you a new car part by part...Does it make sense to trade this in for a new one in one go? [Wink Wink]
amit, you seem to be blessed with ESP. Just the other day, we guys were quizzing Avi about replacing his car and were trying to suggest viable options of really good drivers cars around 10L.

the consensus was- Wait for the cruze
Old 24th September 2009, 08:38   #79
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know that they have identified the defective sensor. I am sure that once they replace it, the Red Beast will be as good as new.

Cheers,
Old 24th September 2009, 14:15   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the car back this morning. They erased the error code in the sensor and this is just a temporary solution and the red beast is back to its original growling. I was charged Rs.165 for Hi-Scan service.

They have ordered for the part from chennai and it will arrive in a week. Unfortunately, it will cost me Rs.6,300 + Labour when it arrives.

Hope the car runs fine till then and the part is delayed too

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore_ftw View Post
This is the first part to get conked out in my 3 year ownership. If a second one conks out, you would know for sure who will be eyeing your Zen...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
amit, you seem to be blessed with ESP. Just the other day, we guys were quizzing Avi about replacing his car and were trying to suggest viable options of really good drivers cars around 10L.

the consensus was- Wait for the cruze
Yessir, my next car will be in budget of Rs.10-12 Lakh and hopefully it should materialize in 2011 for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Nice to know that they have identified the defective sensor. I am sure that once they replace it, the Red Beast will be as good as new. Cheers,
Thanks Ravvs for your feedback. The devil has been found, just need to be tamed. Expensive devil, i must say
Old 25th September 2009, 10:39   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Yessir, my next car will be in budget of Rs.10-12 Lakh and hopefully it should materialize in 2011 for sure.

Dude let me know what cars you zero in for that budget. I am also planning to change my car in 2011. I guess keeping a car for 5 years is a decent time.
Old 25th September 2009, 13:29   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Dude let me know what cars you zero in for that budget. I am also planning to change my car in 2011. I guess keeping a car for 5 years is a decent time.
Sure thing Rishi. It's still a long time and we can expect quite a few new releases by then including the one that i am waiting for Fiat Linea with 1.6 engine which is expected soon.

In 2 years, Who knows there may be an even more powerful engine in a Linea apart from a host of new releases to compare with for that purchase.

Some hopes are :-

Fiat Linea ( Diesel) with a powerful engine
Ford Fiesta ( Diesel) with a powerful engine ( its too late, they should have come up with Version 2 by now)
Civic ( Diesel)---Dreams
City ( Diesel)--Dreams
Chevy Cruze ( Diesel)

I am already confused which car to choose
Old 25th September 2009, 22:57   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Need an urgent advice. As you can see from recent posts on this thread. My Viva CRDI throttle sensor has gone kaput. But, service folks deleted the error code and its back to original self but they said its a temporary solution. They have ordered for the sensor part and it should arrive sometime next week.

My questions :-

1. I am going on a 2000km drive next week. Is it advisable to take the car?

2. When i checked with service advisor and told him about my upcoming trip, he told me problem should not arise again soon since they deleted the error code. He told me to go ahead for this trip and assured me it would not break down completely for sure. But, if the problem arises, i may note trouble in accelaration beyond 2K rpm.

3. I am just worried this component is not connected to any other major equipment which may get damaged with this part's replacement.

I am confused. Does anybody have a clue on this component? Appreciate your feedback

TIA !!!
Old 26th September 2009, 11:16   #84
Senior - BHPian

This is getting curiouser

A faulty sensor is detected, an error code is deleted in the ECU and the car is with you pending arrival of the sensor.

Will the faulty sensor not re-generate the error code in the ECU?

Why did they not find the error code at the last servicing?

Does servicing not include a diagnostic check?

Coming to your queries -

An accelerator sensor replaces the throttle cable, so the only part(s) in the car that are likely to get damaged due to a faulty one are your head, heart and wallet!

If it fails on a long run you can either (a) drive along at 2K rpm to your destination or (b) stop for a while, making sure to switch off the car and take the key out and resume your journey (hoping the break will make the sensor work again). IMHO it is time the white angel got her due - take her for the long drive instead.

Call Harshit of Racing Heights - they might have an after-market sensor that reportedly cuts down on the accelerator pedal lag and reduces the time the car takes to react.

Coming to your previous post - 2011 is a long time away, start looking for a car just a month or so before you actually buy one, the market is changing from day to day and one cannot even hazard a guess as to what will be available in 2011.

Cheers,
Old 26th September 2009, 23:54   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A faulty sensor is detected, an error code is deleted in the ECU and the car is with you pending arrival of the sensor.

Will the faulty sensor not re-generate the error code in the ECU?

Why did they not find the error code at the last servicing?

Does servicing not include a diagnostic check?
Well due to the benefits provided by my insurance provider ( Tata AIG), last year i have been servicing my car at Mazda Motors ( 2 Services) and with them its just a general check up, oil change etc. I dont think they even have the equipment do to a diagonistic check-up since they service all types of cars.

Quote:

Coming to your queries -

An accelerator sensor replaces the throttle cable, so the only part(s) in the car that are likely to get damaged due to a faulty one are your head, heart and wallet!

If it fails on a long run you can either (a) drive along at 2K rpm to your destination or (b) stop for a while, making sure to switch off the car and take the key out and resume your journey (hoping the break will make the sensor work again). IMHO it is time the white angel got her due - take her for the long drive instead
I am aware that when a bike throttle goes, folks hold the wire and still ride it. Good to know this sensor is not connected to any other component. Otherwise, my wallet may not withstand any rude surprises.

After driving the Red Beast, I find the White Angel good for the city only and definetly not for such a long trip. In addition to that, i find it boring comparitively

Quote:
Call Harshit of Racing Heights - they might have an after-market sensor that reportedly cuts down on the accelerator pedal lag and reduces the time the car takes to react.
Thanks Ravvs. I checked my contact book and saw i already had number of Sandeep and spoke to him. He said they don't have such a part.

Quote:
Coming to your previous post - 2011 is a long time away, start looking for a car just a month or so before you actually buy one, the market is changing from day to day and one cannot even hazard a guess as to what will be available in 2011. Cheers,
You know i am great kidder. I was just messing around. I know 2 years is an eternity. I have already started a reverse count of 730 days

In short, i get the message that i should continue to drive with prayers playing in my head. Done, Will go ahead with this trip and leave the rest to god !!!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 26th September 2009 at 23:55.
Old 7th October 2009, 18:38   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need an urgent advice. As you can see from recent posts on this thread. My Viva CRDI throttle sensor has gone kaput. But, service folks deleted the error code and its back to original self but they said its a temporary solution. They have ordered for the sensor part and it should arrive sometime next week.

My questions :-

1. I am going on a 2000km drive next week. Is it advisable to take the car?

2. When i checked with service advisor and told him about my upcoming trip, he told me problem should not arise again soon since they deleted the error code. He told me to go ahead for this trip and assured me it would not break down completely for sure. But, if the problem arises, i may note trouble in accelaration beyond 2K rpm.

3. I am just worried this component is not connected to any other major equipment which may get damaged with this part's replacement.

I am confused. Does anybody have a clue on this component? Appreciate your feedback

TIA !!!
My respect for Accent Viva went up a notch and more than that for Hyundai too. Knowing the throttle sensor issue I had last week, still took the chance of driving it for a 2000kms trip and trust me, it never showed any signs of any problem and performed like the beast she is. Going strong even now.

Seems like i ordered for a new sensor in vain. I should just keep deleting the sensor error code in ECU each time it re-occurs

Hail Hyundai !
Old 7th October 2009, 19:39   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems like i ordered for a new sensor in vain. I should just keep deleting the sensor error code in ECU each time it re-occurs

Hail Hyundai !
Seems to be a great idea----let the buyer take care of it when you finally sell it off. Even if that occurs after a couple of years, it is still far cheaper
Old 8th October 2009, 12:23   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Seems to be a great idea----let the buyer take care of it when you finally sell it off. Even if that occurs after a couple of years, it is still far cheaper
you bet, I pay Rs.165/-only for each Hi-Scan everytime it occurs
Old 16th December 2009, 06:04   #89
BHPian

one question....

the ACCENT Viva, came with very distinctive grille, yours doesnt look like factory grille...
so whats the real deal?

why is the accent viva not made anymore? hyundai can better answer that, but you having so indept detail of the car, maybe u might have ans to this one

out of all the hyundai cars, this is my fav. man and the interiors of ur car are definitely
newwww
Old 16th December 2009, 14:34   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilanjar View Post
one question....

the ACCENT Viva, came with very distinctive grille, yours doesnt look like factory grille...
so whats the real deal?

why is the accent viva not made anymore? hyundai can better answer that, but you having so indept detail of the car, maybe u might have ans to this one

out of all the hyundai cars, this is my fav. man and the interiors of ur car are definitely
newwww
There are 2 types of Accent Viva ( Petrol and Diesel). Petrol Viva's came with those shark type grille and along with that you have a ABS logo at the back in black color. These are the two distinct ways to differentiate between a diesel and a petrol

Mine is a Diesel and it's grill is stock

Well, like all manafacturers even Hyundai has lined up products in every segment and you will agree every car has a certain life and beyond that its tough to retain/sell them even if they are excellent products. That's exactly what happened with Accent/Viva CRDi. They wanted to introduce brand new product (Verna) and due to its being priced just a notch above would have in anyways decreased the sales of Accent/Viva CRDi

So they decided to replace the 3-pot motor with a 4-pot smoother and more powerful motor. But, having driven Verna, i would say its got substantially more power but it cannot handle like a Viva though.

I agree with you, Viva CRDi if maintained well and in the right color, it stands out amongst a lot of other cars

Last edited by mobike008 : 16th December 2009 at 14:36.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed