Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 15:57   #226
BHPian

Hi Sudev

Fantastic report. Looks like GV is a good buy and capable off roader. Keep us updated. I wonder if Maruti (Suzuki) will launch a crdi version of the same. I also wish Maruti launches somethin between a Gypsy & a GV
Old 15th June 2010, 17:36   #227
Team-BHP Support

We already know what that something is, it is Jimny. Will it come, that is the question.
Old 29th June 2010, 07:13   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Back from the Moghal Rally. Odo is just short of 130000.

In two days we did 900 kilometre of hilly driving with tracks that were a punishment for the vehicles and the occupants, Check out the video on you tube. MY GV appears towards the end in a top shot and hill climb. Also another GV with modified air filter scoop stalls in the middle of water pool due to intake of water.

Old 29th June 2010, 08:51   #229
Senior - BHPian

Nice Video sir.
GV stalling is due to the CAI and low air intake,he should have thought of this.
I liked the way Gypsy's were running circles around it.

No Motorbikes? or Cars in the rally?
I saw a KA Regd Rally gypsy on NH1 near ambala on 21st june with huge lightforce lights,may be it was one participant.
Old 29th June 2010, 10:06   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

No bikes - this rally was only open to 4x4 vehicles. Though one Innova and a Bolero were allowed at last moment. The Bolero made it in time but the Innova had a radiator holed by a flying stone chip. He did eventually come through the route.

Yes he should have though about it before but hindsight is always perfect 6/6! The stock set up of my GV did not pose any issues.

Before and after pictures from scrutiny day showing all the stickers pasted on the vehicle:

Suzuki Grand Vitara:  2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership-screenshotm2u00050.mpg1.png

Suzuki Grand Vitara:  2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership-screenshotm2u00053.mpg1.png
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2010, 10:23   #231
Senior - BHPian

Welcome back & well done! Nice video clip

I noticed that the tow rope/cable snapped the first time around when they tried pulling the GV out & then they took quite a while to finally move it out - what happened there?
Old 29th June 2010, 12:04   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sudev, lovely video that. The last few seconds of the video - what place was it ?

Btw, loved the tow-truck you had there
Old 27th July 2010, 07:32   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Problem: The car would take two or three long turns of cranking to start. Every time. Hot or cold. There was no problem with idling speed tick over.

After reading this thread I started wondering if some how my GV's problem could be linked to such a reset.

Solution: Followed the procedure described. Key at Ign. Full press of accelerator. Key off. Release accelerator. Wait. Start the car. Starts at first try with normal cranking.

Observation: When ever you do ECM reset (by removing battery or this procedure) before starting the engine again switch off all lights and a/c. And above all do not touch the accelerator when cranking the engine. Most of the mechs do not understand the last part and press the accelerator a "wee" bit when cranking the engine. This throws ECM off and results in engine not idling properly.

Also I have seen stickers pasted on the dashboards of new cars which say "Do not press accelerator when starting" Normally this is ignored but is important for fly-by-wire ECM plus throttle body systems. This should be applicable to all new vehicles from Maruti stable having fly by wire throttle controls.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2010, 07:42   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I noticed that the tow rope/cable snapped the first time around when they tried pulling the GV out & then they took quite a while to finally move it out - what happened there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Sudev, lovely video that. The last few seconds of the video - what place was it ? Btw, loved the tow-truck you had there
The truck was there since organisers knew some one or the other would get stuck!!

When they tried pulling the vehicle first time around the attached the normal tow rope and truck driver gave a mighty jerk in a hurry causing the rope to break. Eventually the used the nylon tow strap and did a proper job of pulling.

These straps are a must if you go off the road and can take very high levels of loads and jerks.

See this video around 1'30" of how a crawler crane is used to recover a truck poised on brink of sliding down thousands of feet at edge of a landslide. This is also from around the same area.

http://www.youtube.com/v/QiniciqWkZw
Old 27th July 2010, 07:50   #235
Senior - BHPian

Sudev,

It is a great car. It can go off road with out any problem. The only problem is the mileage and also the petrol.Once you are on the wheels you can feel like a king of all drivers.
Old 27th July 2010, 08:05   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

With average of 9kmpl I have consumed say 15000 litres of petrol over 130000 kms. That is 2.25lacs extra over a diesel vehicle with similar mileage figure. I consider that acceptable for the reliability and feel this gives me.

If I wanted economy I would have brought a Dezire or similar. Sedan. Three Box. Peppy enough. Off road or no road driving is major part of reason why I purchased GV and to me it has been VFM preposition with peace of mind thrown in.

This is like "Should you buy a S Class or a 5 series and get bothered about diesel or petrol because of economy?? Performance yes but economy??"
Old 27th July 2010, 10:59   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Sudevji,

why would one press the accelrator while cranking the engine?
Whether fly by wire or not - I have never done this in the M800, NHC, Tucson, Laura, Safari, Scorpio - any vehicle that I have driven so far...

Just curious.
Old 27th July 2010, 19:55   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
why would one press the accelrator while cranking the engine? Whether fly by wire or not - I have never done this in the M800, NHC, Tucson, Laura, Safari, Scorpio - any vehicle that I have driven so far..
Let us start a poll. Most of the people consciously or otherwise give a small pressure on accelerator while cranking the engine. When I say without pressing accelerator I mean keeping your foot away totally from the pedal.

In the old cars a pumping action would be done to prime the engine instead of using choke.
Old 27th July 2010, 20:13   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Let us start a poll. Most of the people consciously or otherwise give a small pressure on accelerator while cranking the engine. When I say without pressing accelerator I mean keeping your foot away totally from the pedal.

In the old cars a pumping action would be done to prime the engine instead of using choke.

Hmmm...interesting.

In fact, I always have the brake pedal pressed with my right foot, clutch pedal pressed with my left foot while I crank.

Rationale:
- Pressing the brake while cranking is to ensure there is no unwanted/unsafe movement immediately after engine starts.
- Pressing the clutch while cranking reduces the load on starter motor as the transmission is completely disengaged (learnt this from my Skoda Laura owner's manual).
Old 27th July 2010, 20:36   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Pressing brake pedal is also useful in case of auto tranny. But pressing clutch while starting? Hmmm what would be the rationale? Is the torque of gear box in neutral that much??

Most Viewed