Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2008, 09:01   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

The speedo is reasonable accurate and reading above was validated by GPS (see shot below) The maximum I was able to touch was 178kmph - GPS Max field with plenty of straight road as in the second pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Grand Vitara:  2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership-100_1421.jpg  

Suzuki Grand Vitara:  2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership-100_1419.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2008, 09:02   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Night driving is a pleasure given excellent lens dip and bright head.
However, doesn't the limited spread of the headlights doesn't bother you in the hills? I often have to turn in blind into acute turns.
Old 22nd June 2008, 09:04   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

More pictures and drive write ups at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ic-places.html
Old 22nd June 2008, 09:09   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
However, doesn't the limited spread of the headlights doesn't bother you in the hills? I often have to turn in blind into acute turns.
If you are doing fast or extreme driving in hills (not just quick) then in any vehicle you will need to add extra pair spreads (not spots) lights. The normal headlights are not for hills with their sharp turns.

A trick we used in Himalayan days when spreads were not available (and even today you have to dig for them) is to use extra pair of spots focused to center and skew the headlights to focus more sideways and outward to max. As headlights have a good spread this was just about acceptable. But is a problem for normal driving.
Old 28th June 2008, 11:28   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

On browsing the net and comparing BHP figures for GV in India and Japan There seems to be a 20BHP power trade off. I think this may be due to ECU/ECM being mapped more for economy in India.
Any thoughts Samurai? GRV?
Old 28th June 2008, 12:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

@ sudev: Great report of a GV : W.r.t your windscreen wiper problem, have you tried the newspaper trick or tobacco trick? That should solve your greasy windscreen problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There is a trick in adjusting your spread of the headlamps for that!

Quote:
If you are doing fast or extreme driving in hills (not just quick) then in any vehicle you will need to add extra pair spreads (not spots) lights. The normal headlights are not for hills with their sharp turns.

A trick we used in Himalayan days when spreads were not available (and even today you have to dig for them) is to use extra pair of spots focused to center and skew the headlights to focus more sideways and outward to max. As headlights have a good spread this was just about acceptable. But is a problem for normal driving.
Yeah agreed: We need to decide what kinda driving we do more and adjust our vehicle accordingly!
Old 28th June 2008, 20:18   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@ sudev: Great report of a GV : W.r.t your windscreen wiper problem, have you tried the newspaper trick or tobacco trick? That should solve your greasy windscreen problem
It was not greasy windscreen. tried cleaners / newspapers / detergent but I think the problem is with "Syndicate" brand as I was driving my SX4 today (mostly it is driven by brother or driver) and noticed similar problem.

Just by changing to Bosch baldes the problem disappeared.
Old 28th June 2008, 20:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

WOW !! 50000 kms in 11 months - that is some driving Sudev.

Quote:
The wiper blade I am referring to is sort of whitening that occurs when wiper is used and this disappears after a while. It normally is associated either due to oily surface - remedy colin or similar cleaner - or due to bad rubber on the blades. O.E. are "syndicate" brand and in other vehicles I found them adequate but not here.
That is not due to oily surface but due to the Paraffin Wax which is used in the compound that is used for making the wiper blades. Good you changed the blades.
Old 28th June 2008, 20:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@ sudev: Great report of a GV : W.r.t your windscreen wiper problem, have you tried the newspaper trick or tobacco trick? That should solve your greasy windscreen problem.

!
Heard one shouldnt use the newspaper as they do scratch the windscreen. Fact?

Quote:

Just by changing to Bosch baldes the problem disappeared.
Bosch wipers rules.

Thats a lot of kms that too on different terrains. Still on stock tyres?
Old 28th June 2008, 22:12   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Newspapers are good to clean windscreens as they absorb lot of grime and water, nothing that a clean cloth would not do. However most of the time cloth in the car are dirty/oily so newspaper are good choice.

Not originals but going through second set of Yoko's
Old 29th June 2008, 11:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Heard one shouldnt use the newspaper as they do scratch the windscreen. Fact?

Bosch wipers rules.

Thats a lot of kms that too on different terrains. Still on stock tyres?
The newspaper trick is to take an old newspaper..sprinkle water on the windscreen and use the paper to clean..while the paper becomes soggy..start rubbing vigorously on the glass..the softish paper will absorb all grime / oil from the glass and make it sparkling clean!

try it it works..AND it will not scratch your glass!
Old 5th July 2008, 07:27   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday I went up and down from Faridabad to Chandigarh all the while keeping to legal speed limit of 90kmph. For the 475 kilometers I got FE of 13.2km/lt. This is almost as good as I ever got on my Esteem. Will post picture later.

What was funny was a chap in his Honda Accord who flew by me just after Delhi but time and again I would either catch up or even get ahead of him. I kept the constant drive (more to get best FE) while he kept on zooming ahead and braking or stopping.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2008, 09:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Lovely report boss. And I wish I could clock those miles.

Hope to have a decent job by the time i'm 35 to devote enough time for such pleasures in life

PS: Samu wasnt happy with the tyres too much but you seem mightly pleased - and you've used it quite to the max saab.
PPS: When can we garib delhiwalas see a demo like around Dhauj dust bowl?
PPPS: Well I have a koshun I wanna ask you personally - dont you feel scared thrashing around an exotic? Well if you do something stupid - you would have to wait long for spare parts, like some people claim to do for Palio! Why not a Scorp 4Wd that'll take the thrashing and have spares all over!?

Last edited by phamilyman : 5th July 2008 at 09:44.
Old 5th July 2008, 09:40   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

phamilyman ---congrats that was your 1000th post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
PS: Samu wasnt happy with the tyres too much but you seem mightly pleased
They are good for road and sand, which is where I have used them most.. But if you are looking at slush or rocky terrain then I agree with Samurai.

Quote:
When can we garib delhiwalas see a demo like around Dhauj dust bowl?
Option 1 : Get a TD organized for GV from the friendly neighborhood dealer and head that way. I know a friend did this on sand banks of Yamuna. Need to sound and look authentic buyer but that is easy.

Option 2 : Keep hanging around and if and when I head for Desert next time and if and when I need a companion tag along. But be prepared to devote some time for route surveys etc.
Old 8th July 2008, 08:00   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I checked with Maruti on ECU and this is what they say:
Quote:
Dear Mr Sudev,
The vehicle for India has been tuned for Indian conditions predominantly
related to Fuel specifications.
Due to this reason we would not recommend any change in the Vehicle
which might cause engine trouble (knocking leading to failure of the
engine)
Regards
Anoop
So if I switch over to premium fuel/octane boosters I can get ECU remapped and get 20bhp (20% extra) on tap. Project is underway. Some one is going to Singapore and will check pricing / availability of Jap ECU for GV.
And I do not think FE figure would be effected so much. As it is I am getting better than expected FE.
Wish me luck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks