Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 09:09   #286
BHPian

re: Suzuki Grand Vitara: 2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership

Will mostly pick up a 2008 GV in a weeks time. Its a used 78k run Haryana registered vehicle. Its quoted at 6 lakhs. Trying to get a deal on this considering that its Haryana registered and the transfer to Karnataka is to be done. The owner is in Haryana and the car was just bought by her husband without transfering it since they're friends!
Old 30th June 2014, 15:47   #287
BHPian

Hey madmanscam, have you picked up the vehicle? If yes, how much did it set you back by finally?
Old 6th July 2014, 09:22   #288
BHPian

Rattan, I missed this opportunity.I was offered the Gv for an impressive price of 3.8 lakhs for a 78k driven beast.but the high cost of LTT let me down and I gave up.For all I know theyve returned this to some dealer or seconds car showroom around Indiranagar or whitefield but am mpstly gonna settle down for a used honda city zx vtec pre pwned by my dads good friend which might cone for a sweet price. There was anpther 2.0 L AT which sold for 2 lakhs.I guess I missed that too.
Old 6th July 2014, 21:50   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanscam View Post
Rattan, I missed this opportunity.I was offered the Gv for an impressive price of 3.8 lakhs for a 78k driven beast.but the high cost of LTT let me down and I gave up.For all I know theyve returned this to some dealer or seconds car showroom around Indiranagar or whitefield but am mpstly gonna settle down for a used honda city zx vtec pre pwned by my dads good friend which might cone for a sweet price. There was anpther 2.0 L AT which sold for 2 lakhs.I guess I missed that too.
I noticed a couple of ads in Pune for 2.0 ATs for around 2.0 to 3.0 range. Does one need to be careful that there is something wrong which is why people are offering such low ad prices?
Old 13th July 2014, 12:12   #290
BHPian

Well I bought my GV 2.0 L AT for upwards of 5 lacs. In my case, the mileage was 47k and the car was maintained in front of my eyes and the previous owner maintained it well I must say. I did feel its a tad expensive, however I guess its all about how you feel for it, what kind of vibes you get, stuff like that.

When buying any second hand vehicle there are things one needs to watch out. Previous service history, repair history, accidents and insurance claims if any, signs of damage, validity of insurance, interior and exterior of the vehicle, mileage run, number of owners, condition of wires and tires which can be seen by the eye upfront, have there been any external fitments, if possible find out who has driven the vehicle mostly - a driver or owner, etc. In my opinion these and other factors can impact the price of a vehicle either way. These factors need to be weighed against the price and expected ownership cost to make a risk - benefit comparison which then becomes the basis of selection and ultimately, purchase.. Of course there will always be exceptions and certain over riding factors - like dads good friend - in which case you can close your eyes and walk in to the deal blindly

In my opinion, 2 to 3 lac for GV AT 2.0 is ridiculously cheap, hence you may want to do "due diligence" on your part before purchasing the vehicle. Some owners may just want to get rid of the "petrol guzzling beast" without any other particular reason, while in other cases there may be things one needs to be careful about.

I just completed 1000 kms in my GV, I drive it sparingly, and I must say I am thrilled and happy. Nearly everything about the car speaks quality, from the AT gearbox to the buttons and fitments used on the inside as well as the exteriors which appeal to my taste. My personal recommendation - if you find one GV which meets all the above factors that I listed, go for it, dont even think twice.. I agree the cost of ownership may be higher than its counterparts, but then you live only once. A word of caution here, I am not asking one to spend blindly, rather want everyone to check and double check while purchasing a second hand vehicle.
rattanw is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 10:22   #291
BHPian

Hello Rattan,

You're really lucky I must say.As stated earlier I had a brilliant offer in the form of a GV for 3.8 lakhs. The only issue was that it was a HR registration and the owner was abroad. TOo many problems, according to my dad and so I let go off it. The same car is not being sold by some agent for 8 lakhs in the open market. Of course, I do not have that kind of a budget. As for the vibes, my wife and I love this car so much that we would spot in the midst of a Kumbh Mela without too much difficulty cause its been running in our minds ever since we drove it. There are a lot of them being quoted at 4.5 to 5.75 lakhs but am not too sure how good the engine is. Secondly all these are being sold by used car dealers and its not so easy to trust them. The 2.0 sold around two months ago. It was some businessman who keeps changing cars really fast.Mostly, he was just getting rid of the guzzler. Like you said, "you live only once" is exactly what I am going by. To tell you honestly, i never gave in to the car craze for the first 10 years of my career since I wanted to work on buying a house , get married, buy cameras and lenses (my current profession as a photographer). Now that these basics are fulfilled I really wanted to upgrade my drive! I missed this opportunity. Will be seeing one Vitara today, a mangalore registration quoted at 6 lakhs. I so wish someone trusted from TBHP sold a good GV and I could have bought it happily! If I had someone who could help me check these vehicles it would be great. Let's see how this weekend fares with the GV hunt. Ill keep all of you updated.
Old 27th July 2014, 13:58   #292
R_R
BHPian

Maybe Sudevji or someone else here can guide me:

I am finding it very difficult sometimes to shift into first gear. But this is not a consistent problem, it seems worse if I don't drive the car for a few days, less if I am driving it everyday. The car has done only slightly over 50k kms, so can't be the clutch, can it? The car pulls fine from all gears, and I don't sense any clutch slipping, but am no expert. My fear is that if I take it to MASS, they'll almost definitely say 'replace the clutch' irrespective of whether that is required (though I will obviously do that if thats what is required). I am thinking of asking them to bleed and adjust the clutch cable first (there is no play at all, and I understand there should be at least 1-inch play on the clutch pedal). Any other suggestion to check on what the problem is will be greatly appreciated, as always.
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 07:00   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the clutch hard? If this happens only after few days of vehicle being parked could it be that clutch oil level is low? 50k does not indicate clutch but depends on how those 50k were driven.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 03:26   #294

I have had the opportunity to join TeamBHP only recently but have been an avid reader of the knowledge shared. Thanks for that.

Based on my hunch and the type of a guy I am, I went ahead and bought a 2008 GV A/T 2.0 Liter, about 15 days ago. The car was single owned by a company and my mechanic gave me a go-ahead. Have driven it a while and love it for what it is. Have also been looking at the central differential LSD the vehicle provides( haven't used it as yet).
For a person who comes from running a carburetor Enfield and Esteem, this car is a change for me.

Requesting GV owner's advice/guidance here.

Present to-do's:
1. My headlight's have parts not working. Could you please share OE costs for this set?
2. There is a chip-crack on my wind shield as a stone flew in from a vehicle travelling ahead. The car is insured but people tell me there is a solution for this. The stick it up with a solvent and a 1 rupee coin?
3. Alignment. The car seems to be swaying to the left.

More generally, could you please suggest a good service center around Gurgaon?

I didn't get my hands on the user manual for the GV. Any ideas on how I can get my hands on that would be really helpful?

Appreciate your help.
Old 7th August 2014, 05:57   #295
Team-BHP Support

Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdumdigadiga View Post
Have also been looking at the central differential LSD the vehicle provides( haven't used it as yet).
Yikes! The LSD is indeed used when you are in normal driving mode of 4H. It becomes disabled when you move to 4H-Lock or 4L-Lock.

Quote:
1. My headlight's have parts not working. Could you please share OE costs for this set?
2. There is a chip-crack on my wind shield as a stone flew in from a vehicle travelling ahead. The car is insured but people tell me there is a solution for this. The stick it up with a solvent and a 1 rupee coin?
3. Alignment. The car seems to be swaying to the left.
Service center will answer such questions.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 07:08   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't get my hands on the user manual for the GV. Any ideas on how I can get my hands on that would be really helpful?
PDF versions are available on line. A simple google ji command will reveal all that

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=gr...sm=93&ie=UTF-8
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 08:33   #297
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Is the clutch hard? If this happens only after few days of vehicle being parked could it be that clutch oil level is low? 50k does not indicate clutch but depends on how those 50k were driven.
Thanks, Sudevji. And apologies about the delayed response: was travelling.

The clutch itself is not particularly hard, and definitely does not appear to have gotten harder much. It is just that the gear lever is very hard to move into first sometimes. The gear level feels stuck. I'll definitely check on all the oil levels and report back.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

RR

Quote:
2. There is a chip-crack on my wind shield as a stone flew in from a vehicle travelling ahead. The car is insured but people tell me there is a solution for this. The stick it up with a solvent and a 1 rupee coin?.
I have had a chip, but a small one, on my windshield for several years. Its on the lower left side of the windshield and is not normally in my line of sight. I just live with it!

RR

Last edited by aah78 : 7th August 2014 at 18:30. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 7th August 2014, 09:20   #298
BHPian

Quote:

Appreciate your help.
And if you do not get reults from the Google link Sudev has posted, send me an email @ svfcpi@gmail.com. Will send u dropbox link. Be warned though-it is a 150MB zip file!!
Old 7th August 2014, 12:47   #299

A quick query For the GV owners in Bangalore:
  • Can you service the GV at any MASS or is there a "main" service center ?
  • Regarding availability of parts did you face any trouble / long waiting period
  • I was trying to estimate how much a 50 K+ driven Vitara would cost in terms of maintenance over the next 5 years say with a yearly avg of 12.5 k
Would really appreciate if one of the users can throw some light over this .
Thanks

Last edited by aah78 : 7th August 2014 at 21:22. Reason: Post edited for grammar & better readability.
Old 7th August 2014, 17:33   #300

Thanks Samurai. When I lock the central differential in 4H and 4L, and with slush spinning my front left and rear right wheels with no traction, am I pretty much stuck on a GV?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks