Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2014, 07:38   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Do a push start. Slot in first. Clutch pressed. Ignition to on. Get two three people to push. Release clutch.
Once it starts go for a few kilometre spin. Should be okay.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 09:13   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara: 2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
Fearful that excessive cranking or repeated tries may cause damage, I left it after three tries.
Just FYI: Cranking the starter for up to 15 seconds at a time is fine, and won't cause any damage to starter motor or battery or anything else. That's provided of course that the battery has enough charge to continue cranking.

As suggested earlier, a jump start with cables and another battery, or a push start, is required if your battery is run down.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 10:09   #378
BHPian

Get tow strap from Mayapuri. Look out for shops with pulleys and straps hanging outside. They sell supplies to cranes - ask for "patta" or strap. These are used by cranes to lift heavy equipment hence they are built tough. You can get D-shackles at the same place. The preferred length is 12 to 15 feet. Anything longer may not help as hills or most recovery situations do not have much space to allow more than 10-15 meters of straight space.

The weight rating of tow ropes should be 3x of vehicle weight as thumb rule (not scientific but works). D-shackles should be .25 tonne less than tow strap rating to allow for breakage.

I have a 5 tonne strap and 4.75 tonne D-shackles for my Vitara. Try and take the Vitara (or try out) the D-shackles for "fit" in both front and rear tow hooks (mine were OK for Vitara but a tight fit for Gypsy. This exercise will also help you understand the dependability on size of tow hook in recovery vehicle - although that is useful to know and may not be practical if there are limited vehicles to help choose from for in a recovery situation.

Cost for both strap and a pair of D-shackles is between 1300 to 1800 depending on haggling.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 11:51. Reason: edited for better readability
mustysekhon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 15:02   #379
BHPian

Well yes that was the problem. Called Maruti on road assistance guys and they fixed the problem by jump starting. Left the car idling for 1 hour hopefully that should take care of charging the battery.

Thanks Samurai.
Old 24th December 2014, 22:47   #380

Got a Ferreterro 3 Ton Strap with two 2.5 Ton D shackles. Thanks for the advice
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Grand Vitara:  2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership-tow-strap-12_24_2014.jpg  

Suzuki Grand Vitara:  2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership-tow-strap-vendor.jpg  

dumdumdigadiga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 12:30   #381

Hello @samurai and @Sudev - So this is a crazy problem. I lost(or someone found it) my key and feel that it might be used to steal my vehicle. I asked MASS Store and they're quoting something like 17K and 1 week for delivery. What can I do here?
What I have done is opened the bonner with my spare key and disabled some stuff so that it doesn't start.
Someone was telling me that CarShringar or other accessories shops might be able to do something with the key codes.
Any help is appreciated here.
Old 22nd March 2015, 15:11   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdumdigadiga View Post
Hello @samurai and @Sudev - So this is a crazy problem. I lost(or someone found it) my key and feel that it might be used to steal my vehicle. I asked MASS Store and they're quoting something like 17K and 1 week for delivery. What can I do here?
What I have done is opened the bonner with my spare key and disabled some stuff so that it doesn't start.
Someone was telling me that CarShringar or other accessories shops might be able to do something with the key codes.
Any help is appreciated here.
I had lost a key of one of my previous car. There are 2 options:
  1. get a new key (as a spare) and after getting it cut, get both the key reprogrammed so that the lost key cannot be used to start the car
  2. Even if the keys are reprogrammed, someone can break in to your car using the lost key. If you want to prevent it, you need to get the door locks changed as well. I assume this 17K quote may e for that
Other thought is, just forget worrying about the lost key! I know it is a not a good feeling and you are always worried, but it is unlikely that someone finds the key, he happens to be a car stealer and manages to know it belongs to your car and decides to steal it (a rare petrol SUV). Chances are very very low.

Last edited by Guna : 22nd March 2015 at 15:15.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 00:22   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I had lost a key of one of my previous car. There are 2 options:
  1. get a new key (as a spare) and after getting it cut, get both the key reprogrammed so that the lost key cannot be used to start the car
  2. Even if the keys are reprogrammed, someone can break in to your car using the lost key. If you want to prevent it, you need to get the door locks changed as well. I assume this 17K quote may e for that
Other thought is, just forget worrying about the lost key! I know it is a not a good feeling and you are always worried, but it is unlikely that someone finds the key, he happens to be a car stealer and manages to know it belongs to your car and decides to steal it (a rare petrol SUV). Chances are very very low.
Thanks Guna, appreciate your response.

Option 1 is what I am planning to go for. Is there any danger in the programmer being able to create another copy of the key? How to make sure. Do I use a road side hacker or go to the showroom?

Option 2 - You mean open the doors but not start the car, right? Please confirm.
Old 25th March 2015, 17:06   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guna, appreciate your response.

Option 1 is what I am planning to go for. Is there any danger in the programmer being able to create another copy of the key? How to make sure. Do I use a road side hacker or go to the showroom?

Option 2 - You mean open the doors but not start the car, right? Please confirm.
Reprogramming requires a specific instrument. I dont know if roadside guys have it. In my case, even the showroom guys did not have it and they had to get it from their Chennai branch.

Yes the person who has found the lost key can enter but not start the car as you would have got it re-programmed.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 01:35   #385

Quote:
Reprogramming requires a specific instrument. I dont know if roadside guys have it. In my case, even the showroom guys did not have it and they had to get it from their Chennai branch.

Yes the person who has found the lost key can enter but not start the car as you would have got it re-programmed.
Thanks Guna. These have the machine it seems. I'm planning to get a non remote version reprogrammed for about 2K. Is this expensive?
Old 28th March 2015, 05:32   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Do a push start. Slot in first. Clutch pressed.
Push starting in second gear is advisable than first gear, as this will be smoother and a jolt can well be avoided.

Last edited by rajeev k : 28th March 2015 at 05:34.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 09:24   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guna. These have the machine it seems. I'm planning to get a non remote version reprogrammed for about 2K. Is this expensive?
Better to check on EBay (you can buy a compatible blank key and get it cut/programmed) to see if that is the reasonable price. My gut feel is, it may come to 2k anyways.
Old 29th March 2015, 01:07   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...[*]get a new key (as a spare) and after getting it cut, get both the key reprogrammed so that the lost key cannot be used to start the car...
Would Maruti re-program a key that's done outside? I doubt. If you buy from Maruti, the keys come ONLY in pairs.

Quote:
Don't think so. They have a standard rate for re-programming and it's something around the rate you mentioned.
Old 29th March 2015, 12:13   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Would Maruti re-program a key that's done outside? I doubt. If you buy from Maruti, the keys come ONLY in pairs.
Note sure about Maruti. Chevy (in my case)had got me only 1 key. They were OK to program it if I was getting the blank key from outside.
Old 25th April 2015, 14:34   #390
BHPian

Any pointers on getting Geolandar AT-S tyres 225/65/R17 on the 2.4 Ltr GV. My tyres are due for replacement today.

Anyone faced any issues with tyre touching the body etc?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks