Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2008, 14:45   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Insane reading - If it was not the GV i would have done 40~45k a year in any case with similar FE due to my work. With GV it is ~60k due to two trips to Leh for the Raid and quite a few to Rajasthan for the Desert Storm plus a little outing to Rann of Kutch in preparation for the next Storm

I have totally enjoyed going off road in the Desert and enjoyed places and experience that I would not have imagined.
Old 17th November 2008, 17:52   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
sudev, to post an LT ownership experience that surpasses yours will be difficult considering the 50k report that you have already written. however allow me to wind the odo back to 6k for my report!

took the gv (automatic) to coonoor and back last weekend and enjoyed the trip. points to be noted are:

Wow i alway s wanted to know the off roading capability of the automatic GV is it affected greatly due to the automatic gear box or slotting into it s 1st and 2nd solves the purpose ??? Do reply and what s the difference in the manual and automatic linear power deilevery ?? FE will be hampered i understand !!
Do rely about power
regards
SaaJan
Old 17th November 2008, 18:23   #48
Team-BHP Support

My GV completed 1 year on Nov 3rd and the odometer was at 9K.

Apart from consumables like oil and filter changes, I never had to change any part until now. I cracked the rear bumper in my birthday offroading, it was fixed using a thermocol padding, no charges. I lost couple of screws from the rear mudguard during the muthodi misadventure, those were the only parts to be replaced.
Old 18th November 2008, 12:29   #49
BHPian

Sudev,
You have utilized it to the fullest.
Great reports and pictures.

Thanks
Old 21st November 2008, 00:06   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Okay so one major job thrown up by 70k service inspection. The rubber bush in the right track arm (front) is gone/broken and so the arm needs to be replaced. This had started giving a thudding noise on the way to Leh and have driven almost 5k since then.

Suzuki Grand Vitara:  2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership-101_2449.jpg

Another view of the same.

Suzuki Grand Vitara:  2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership-101_2450.jpg

And at 70k the second set of tyre change is almost on cards. Max is pushing them for another 5k. TWI is showing on two tyres. I have ordered the suspension components and once I have them I will also change complete set of tyres. Hmmmm which ones to buy??
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2008, 10:31   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Sudev,

So how much the suspension cost?
And what's the situation (and the cost) of the brake pads?

As a potential 2.4L GV buyer, I am trying to gather what will be the maintenance cost of GV. Maintaining my NHC for last 4 years has taught me one thing - FE is just one aspect of car ownership, the spares cost, reliability and service are also vital and NHC has been very good on all these fronts so far.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:01   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Will revert on costs once I get the parts.
Yes FE is one aspect. In respect of running costs GV has been quite good and if I discount accidental damage till date one set of 4 tyres and air filter/oil filter/spark-plugs etc. - items of routine - have been changed. General spares from MSIL have been very reasonable prized plus thy have great A.S.S. network
Old 21st November 2008, 17:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

Also sudev, what would say a 50k+ driven GV cost as a second hand model? just to get a feel of second hand car prices was the reason i am asking you this question.
Old 21st November 2008, 18:07   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
Also sudev, what would say a 50k+ driven GV cost as a second hand model? just to get a feel of second hand car prices was the reason i am asking you this question.
Which Vitara? New or the old model?

Just my opinion:

The new one was launched barely a year and half back. So the prices should be 70~80% of the on road price.

The old one with 50k on odo - should be in the range of 5~7lac. Anything above would be suicide with spare availability likely to be getting sparse and low FE of V6 engine. On the other hand excellent engine and off-road abilities.
Old 22nd November 2008, 10:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

thanks sudev, i was referring to the new one. so would you think considering a grand vitara for about 10-ish is a good proposition considering it has put in about 50k kms. also do you think the rattles makes one feel that the maruti quality has problems with it?
Old 22nd November 2008, 10:55   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

At ~10 seems good buy for one year old GV. That is 35% off from new on road price, which is okay for one year old car AFAIK. Usual caveats and checklist apply.

The build quality is Jap and not MSIL as it is a CBU. The rear rattle is there with n one on back seat so I am not too sure if it is door rattle or seat lock that is the culprit.

With a overall silent car and a solid suspension the small rattle is irritating on our apologies of highways. Else IMHO it is a good buy.

Last edited by sudev : 22nd November 2008 at 10:56.
Old 22nd November 2008, 11:09   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
At ~10 seems good buy for one year old GV. That is 35% off from new on road price, which is okay for one year old car AFAIK.
Currently GV is 17.1L in Bangalore, so 10L for a 2007 GV is too good unless it has problems.
Old 22nd November 2008, 11:49   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh..that much difference? I would like to sell my GV (and buy a new one) there with price off of 30% from 17 lacs -->12 lacs. Any takers? Will throw in new tyres and suspension as well. In Delhi on road was (was) 14 when I took the car. I do not think it has increased.
8-)

Last edited by sudev : 22nd November 2008 at 11:50.
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:52   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Oh..that much difference? I would like to sell my GV (and buy a new one) there with price off of 30% from 17 lacs -->12 lacs. Any takers? Will throw in new tyres and suspension as well. In Delhi on road was (was) 14 when I took the car. I do not think it has increased.
8-)

I am seriously thinking of buying the GV.
I am simply loosing too many opportunities to go places because my NHC will not make it...
If 2.4L is not being launched in near future, I will take the 2.0.
If I get a well maintained used GV, I will take it.

If you are seling or know any other used GV in good hands, please let me know.
Old 26th November 2008, 06:54   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
So how much the suspension cost?
Surprisingly the costs are not as much as I feared. The total front suspension but for struts would be renewed with O.E. jappo components for ~22k. The parts are available from MSIL on order immediately.
Suzuki Grand Vitara:  2,32,000 kms & 7 years ownership-vitara.jpg

Of course I do not need to change every thing but if I replace, say, right track arm I would also replace the left one at the same time.

Last edited by sudev : 26th November 2008 at 06:56.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed