Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 13:08   #1
BHPian

Palio 1.2 ELX: 55,000 kms review - Now Sold, A tribute to the Palio

Back in mid-2006 i decided i needed to upgrade to a car. After checking my finances and doing all the math, i set upon a search for an used car to suit my need (lets just say, anything that could come below the 2l mark). My clear options were the Alto 1.1 vxi or the Palio 1.2. Given the resale value that maruti commands, a lot of altos were out of reach then. That left me with the only option of a FP 1.2. Back in 2001 or 2002 when the Palio had launched, i had taken a small test drive, so i knew whatthe car was like and how it felt. But it had been a long time since, and given the way the Fiat brand was tumbling, i had to reassure myself to buy a Fiat.

Anyway, against my family, friends, (and most importantly) girfriends better judgement, i decided to buy a Palio. A bit of searching here and there, few visits to used car dealers, searches in the newspapers, websites, i found my Car. It was a 2002, Fern Green (thats what the RC book says) Palio 1.2 ELX, had 23k kms on the odo and had an LPG kit fitted. Period. All requirements met, car bought.

Kms today: 40300

Build Quality: 4/5 - its like a tank, and is very well suited for our roads

Looks & Space: In my opinion, this is one of the meanest looking cars in the market. I have this constant craving of installing Angel Eyes. I am sure its going to look killer.

Space wise, this car can easily accommodate 5 full grown adults, take them on a 300 km drive and still not have their backs hurt - unlike some hot hatches we have.

Driveability: 3/5 - as you know by now, it really lacks power in the lower rpms, but suddenly comes to life after some seconds. Very good cruiser on the highway. Superb feel between the speeds of 90 - 120.

Mileage: 2.5/5 - what can you expect from a car of this size and weight? Add to that, that the car runs on LPG. Lesser said the better here.

Maintenance: Surprisingly very low. Apart from the few thousands that i may have spent on routine oil changes, oil filters, & air filters, i haven't had any major expenses on the car yet. Except for the odd tyre replacement i had to do after it burst on the expressway, and a small part in the rear brakes, which cost around 500 bucks. I think its now time to get the brakes and suspension repaired - they are starting to show signs of aging

After Sales: I got the car serviced once from Balaji Motors (Thane - TATA dealership), and i must say i was pretty impressed. Courteous staff, quick turn around time, consistent service follow ups.

Overall the car is still fun to drive, makes a style statement, and if fuel costs don't continue to sky rocket (also read as LPG being cheaper again), i plan to keep this car for another 20-25k kms. Else, MJD, here I come. cheers:

PS - Mods, am i allowed to post a pic of my ride here?
Old 17th July 2008, 13:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

What is the FE with petrol and with LPG ?

Is your car standrard or NV edition ?
Old 17th July 2008, 13:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

A pretty nice and balanced review.
And yes, you can post a pic of your tank oops ride here.
Old 17th July 2008, 14:21   #4
BHPian

@aaggoswami - Mine is the standard edition Palio.

FE in city, with LPG, 90% AC is around 7kmpl, highways it usually goes to 8-9.

Havent checked FE on petrol. Since the car came with a LPG fitment when i bought it, I never drove it on petrol much.
Old 17th July 2008, 14:39   #5
BHPian

some pics of my ride. Took them on the way to Amby valley

Palio 1.2 ELX: 55,000 kms review - Now Sold, A tribute to the Palio-fp1.jpg

Palio 1.2 ELX: 55,000 kms review - Now Sold, A tribute to the Palio-fp2.jpg
Old 17th July 2008, 14:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

yes, pics and FE gyan please.

PS: tat's quite low running for someone in mumbai - you commute by bike?
Old 17th July 2008, 16:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

How about a pic of the Boot to see how much space is left after the LPG Fittings.

And yes, How much did you buy it for back in 2006?
Old 17th July 2008, 16:37   #8
BHPian

@phamilyman - well i almost stoppped using the bike after i got the car. Low running is due to the fact that i was out of the country for 3 months, and the car wasnt used at all.

@vinit - No space left in the boot dude. The max i can get into the boot is a duffel bag and some loose stuff, nothing more. No bags, luggagees.
Old 17th July 2008, 22:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good going Iceman!

Your Palio looks new & pristine! You have maintained it well!

Any plans for Alloys?
Old 18th July 2008, 08:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

thats very low FE. I'm sure the PAlio gives around 9-10 in city and 15-16 on highways. I think something is wrong with your kit.
Old 18th July 2008, 13:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Mileage: 2.5/5 - what can you expect from a car of this size and weight? Add to that, that the car runs on LPG. Lesser said the better here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
thats very low FE. I'm sure the PAlio gives around 9-10 in city and 15-16 on highways. I think something is wrong with your kit.
Hi Gemi, I think that's the points Iceman is giving for the Mileage that the car returns. Not the actual mileage.
Old 18th July 2008, 13:08   #12
BHPian

@finneyp - i usually get sudden pangs for fitting alloys, they go away as quickly as they come though. i might get them fitted when its time to change the tyres.

@gemithomas - figures you quote are right, but they are for running on petrol. LPG gives 20% lesser mileage than that of petrol. And, yes, i think its ime to get the kit serviced
Old 18th July 2008, 16:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good looking Palio there Iceman7 and you have maintained it well too.
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Himanshu! Nice car brother. I need a ride to prashant corner when I visit Adventity!
Old 17th October 2008, 20:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
@finneyp - i usually get sudden pangs for fitting alloys, they go away as quickly as they come though. i might get them fitted when its time to change the tyres.

@gemithomas - figures you quote are right, but they are for running on petrol. LPG gives 20% lesser mileage than that of petrol. And, yes, i think its ime to get the kit serviced
My apologies for this late, late response: as you know, I'm new to this list, less than 30 messages old.

There must be something seriously wrong.

I used to get upwards of 8 km/litre in the city - granted, Ludhiana city traffic doesn't remotely compare to Bombay - and much more in highway driving, close to 12 when I was loafing along, and still a tad above 10 with a heavier foot. It's very comfortable to go along at around 120 in it, so I never really bothered to push it beyond on a sustained basis.

Maybe you need to get someone to take a good look at it; the figures just don't seem right. Who? I really don't know; the authorised service stations are so outstandingly bad that I hesitate to even say that they might do anything positive.

Again, this view is of Dada Motors and the other Ludhiana dealer - forget his name.

bonobashi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks