Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2008, 14:59   #76
Team-BHP Support

Tsk, let me know if you can't find the Osram's, I can pick them up from here. I need to send a parcel to Delhi anyways, I can put bulbs along with that.
Old 30th July 2008, 12:38   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Tsk, let me know if you can't find the Osram's, I can pick them up from here. I need to send a parcel to Delhi anyways, I can put bulbs along with that.
Thanks for the offer vid. But in Delhi there is no Osram supply problem. I will pick them up on the weekend

Meanwhile there are 4 issues which I need some advice on
1. Right Fog lamp has moisture inside. Is it normal? Even after using the lights for 30 minutes, the moisture did not go away?
2. On digital information display has a mode button for switching from TripA -> TripB -> Temp etc., When I set it to temperature, it comes back to Trip A within a few seconds. Is this a bug or a feature.
3. As I mentioned earlier what I thought was a AC compressor problem(turning off at idle on throttle input) turned out to be a feature. At narrow parkings where you have to go back and forth quite a bit, a lot of throttle blipping is needed. Won't this shorten the life of the compressor clutch?
4. I upshift at around 2000rpm. i.e
1-2@20kmph (Max runin speed 20kmph)
2-3@35kmph (Max runin speed 40)
3-4@55kmph(Max runin speed 65)
4-5@70kmph(Max runin speed 80)
IS this the best or do I need to change. Indica has a completely different torque curve and power characteristics, and this is the first time we have purchased a safari like vehicle. Please suggest optimum speeds for best FE and life of clutch etc.,
Old 30th July 2008, 13:01   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. Right Fog lamp has moisture inside. Is it normal? Even after using the lights for 30 minutes, the moisture did not go away?
No, it is not normal, it is a defect - please get it changed ASAP under warranty; the sooner the better, before they accuse you of having damaged it.
Old 30th July 2008, 13:06   #79
BANNED

Quote:
2. On digital information display has a mode button for switching from TripA -> TripB -> Temp etc., When I set it to temperature, it comes back to Trip A within a few seconds. Is this a bug or a feature.
3. As I mentioned earlier what I thought was a AC compressor problem(turning off at idle on throttle input) turned out to be a feature. At narrow parkings where you have to go back and forth quite a bit, a lot of throttle blipping is needed. Won't this shorten the life of the compressor clutch?
4. I upshift at around 2000rpm. i.e
1-2@20kmph (Max runin speed 20kmph)
2-3@35kmph (Max runin speed 40)
3-4@55kmph(Max runin speed 65)
4-5@70kmph(Max runin speed 80)
IS this the best or do I need to change. Indica has a completely different torque curve and power characteristics, and this is the first time we have purchased a safari like vehicle. Please suggest optimum speeds for best FE and life of clutch etc.,
1. I face this occasionally. Goes away on its own in the heat here.

2. Feature. The display will never remain at the temp mode for more than a few seconds. The one difference I have found between the manual and the vehicle is that the display goes blank when I take the key out (manual says display remains with key out).

3. For the situation you have mentioned, why do you need to blip the throttle? No offense meant, but this looks like an Indica NA diesel hangover. Please try using just the clutch and see.

4. Please check what rpm the speeds given on page 77 correspond to. I recommend sticking to and shifting up only at those rpms during running in. Even at the cost of FE.

After running in, please stick to the upshift and downshift speeds on page 78. You'll have to find out what rpm these correspond to but its worth the effort.

Unlike the Indica NA diesel, you'll find that a gentle caress on the accelerator pedal is enough.

Hope this helps.

P.S. All page number references from
http://customercare.tatamotors.com/m...afariDicor.pdf
Old 30th July 2008, 13:14   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
No, it is not normal, it is a defect - please get it changed ASAP under warranty; the sooner the better, before they accuse you of having damaged it.
Thanks suman, this is a first service item then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post
3. For the situation you have mentioned, why do you need to blip the throttle? No offense meant, but this looks like an Indica NA diesel hangover. Please try using just the clutch and see.

4. Please check what rpm the speeds given on page 77 correspond to. I recommend sticking to and shifting up only at those rpms during running in. Even at the cost of FE.

After running in, please stick to the upshift and downshift speeds on page 78. You'll have to find out what rpm these correspond to but its worth the effort.

Unlike the Indica NA diesel, you'll find that a gentle caress on the accelerator pedal is enough.

Hope this helps.

P.S. All page number references from
http://customercare.tatamotors.com/m...afariDicor.pdf
Since I don't have the manual, I am also referring to this PDF.
I am actually upshifting at 5kmph lower than mentioned. I know going higher is not a good idea, but what about lower? I have seen that she picks up speed in 5th gear from 1500rpm. The low end torque is fabolus.
I checked speed-rpm ratios, and it appears that the top rpm for running in is 2500. So I am sticking to that. I think I will change gears at 2200rpm, it seems the best method

As for blipping, yes its indica hangover. In indica if I don't do that the car will stall. The safari can putter along in idle without issues.

I have also noticed that I have become a much more defensive driver and I am giving way to ricks/autos etc., Isn't it supposed to be th other way round?
Old 30th July 2008, 13:22   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I have also noticed that I have become a much more defensive driver and I am giving way to ricks/autos etc., Isn't it supposed to be th other way round?
Its the 'my new vehicle' syndrome!
Old 30th July 2008, 13:23   #82
BHPian

Quote:
I have also noticed that I have become a much more defensive driver and I am giving way to ricks/autos etc., Isn't it supposed to be th other way round?
Now, that's a responsible driver. Stick to it.

Old 30th July 2008, 13:45   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Now, that's a responsible driver. Stick to it.

Till the first service then the situation will reverse !!
Old 30th July 2008, 14:07   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
tsk1979 : The safari can putter along in idle without issues.
I have found this very useful - engage 1st, and let go of the clutch & acclerator. The truck can even pull you up a ramp in that state. Have been using this as a warming up tactic, since the rpm remains at idle even when going up ramps in this fashion. And I use this time to get other things ready !

Try avoiding the blipping -it should not be required. Also, 5 below recommeded gear change speeds is what I am following. This way, I am at leat close to the power-band at all times, even when gears are just engaged during up-shifts. Has been working for me very well.

Last edited by condor : 30th July 2008 at 14:10.
Old 30th July 2008, 15:25   #85
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your new ride, Tanveer.
Looking forward to the travelogues from your trips.
Old 30th July 2008, 15:26   #86
Team-BHP Support

Thanks ben, will surely have something in a few days
Old 30th July 2008, 19:44   #87
Senior - BHPian

What about the famous "Krrrr" sound upon throttling in most gears except 1st or probably you are driving very calmy.
Old 30th July 2008, 21:25   #88
Team-BHP Support

No Krrr sound in mine, thankfully.
Probably Tata has taken care of this problem
Old 31st July 2008, 10:24   #89
BHPian

Quote:
So that leaves Elegant/Samyak at Patpatganj(wherever that is) or Dynamic Automobiles in sector 63 Noida.
First service checklist
1. Left window rattle
Please let me know when resolve this issue and how?.

I have had this driver's glass rattle since day one and they have'nt been able to so anything yet.
Old 31st July 2008, 10:43   #90
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this thread -- Congratulations TSK!! Lovely truck!

Most Viewed