Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 12:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Tanveer

She looks a stunner and thats good that you bought a 4x4.

Regarding the 1st day vibes,i believe lot of us have faced that.

But never mind,she'll be just fine.

Injoy the beast.
Old 28th July 2008, 12:37   #32
BHPian

hey tanveer,

congratulations dude. i can almost see the gleam in your eyes as you drive her around!!!!

also, as time goes by, the safari seems to shrink in size around you and you get so used to her road presence that it becomes increasingly difficult to drive cars that are littler (if there was such a word!!!) - ask me, i hardly EVER drive the palio now, it is left to the wife and the driver pretty much completely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post
a note on braking - under panic braking, try your best not to turn the steering wheel to either side even a little.
i learnt this the hard way, coming back from the mountains - on nh1.
panic braking, vehicle heads off onto the dirt on the side of the road @ 90 kmph - luckily i had the presence of mind to completely take my hands off the steering wheel.

as the safari kept drifting towards an 8 foot drop off the road, i gently tugged the steering wheel to correct, the entire vehicle with 4 people and a weeks worth of camping gear, tents, provisions, bags etc etc etc skidded around a 180 degree axis and came to rest in the middle of the road, facing the way i had just come. to say that i pretty much wet myself would possibly be an understatement.

THIS VEHICLE NEEDS ABS and EBD ACROSS THE RANGE AND TATA NEEDS TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.

offer it as an option, so those of us who are remotely sensible will opt for it and not only make ourselves safer but also those around us.
Old 28th July 2008, 12:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Congrats tanveer.

As other have already replied.

- Hissing sound nearing the full lock is normal
- Never noticed the AC as I dont throttle under idle.
- Here the SC use GTX, so first check at the A.S.S if they use GTX or GTD for oil change.

The first service is just a basic check of nuts & bolts + a wash, so dont expect much.
Old 28th July 2008, 13:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Tanveer

She is a beauty love that color on a Safari.
Old 28th July 2008, 13:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Tanveer.!
It looks stunning in that colour.
Looking forward to a nice travelogue now.

Cheers
Old 28th July 2008, 13:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hi tanveer,

- Hissing sound nearing the full lock is normal

This was there even in the older TCIC and is there in hydraulic power steerings. Try to avoid to be in this position for longer durations.

This is the story of mine.
(Safari, Nov 99 - July 05, 76000kms)

It was a August 98 base model bought new in Nov 99. I loved the braking in this vehicle and in my case at least I never had any skidding experience.

In those days, oil changes were every 8000kms with a check up at every 4000kms.

I very strictly never followed the 1 minute idling before starting / stopping!! The only concession was that the AC was switched off before stopping the engine. All my other cars including the Viva CRDi, the AC is never switched off.

I never went for another Safari, since I do not (if possible) repeat but a vehicle. But it is the Safari which even my family enjoyed traveling in. For us, the Innova was not a patch on the Safari.
Old 28th July 2008, 13:43   #37
BHPian

Tsk congrats!
So now that you got your toy, do we all gang up and revive the Ladakh drive?
Old 28th July 2008, 13:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

The Power Steering hum at full lock is present in my Palio as well. The manual even explains that it should not be kept at full lock while stationary. I thought it was a characteristic of all Hydraulic Power Steering systems. Any gyaan, gurus?
Old 28th July 2008, 14:31   #39
Team-BHP Support

In my case hissing is near full lock too, not just "at full lock". It starts slightly before full lock. Somebody suggested bleeding the power steering of air bubbles by opening the cap, putting her on a ramp and then turning wheels lock to lock a few times.
I think I need to get clutch adjusted too. It seems a little too hard.
Ditto for the brakes.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:34   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
bIte tHe bulLet : THIS VEHICLE NEEDS ABS and EBD ACROSS THE RANGE AND TATA NEEDS TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.
Absolutely. Atleast as an option, so those of us who are aware of the necessity & importance of these, can go for it.

It's not that Tata has not offered such options on their vehicles. About 3-4 years back, in the initial years of the Sumo Victa, they had offered the TCIC engine as an option on the top two models. Later, they made the TCIC engine a standard on the top end model, while the lower two models got the basic NA engine.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
.. you sure.. 5 minutes of idling.!!!!!

Is it a reflection on the quality of paint or the quality of the color used in the ribbon .
yup 5 minutes will do her turbo good.its tata man!!you have to take extra care of things lest they fail in critical situations.
because of not doing this we had to get the turbo of our last safari changed for rs.40000.i don't want that to happen again.
we have a construction company.hydro electric power project construction.so we use loads of tata trucks.and other vehicles.
so what people generally call tata is THATHA motors because something or the other rattles or fails in the motor from start till the end of its life.

can't comment about the paint quality because the same happened to my new white civic.so i guess its the chemical used to color the ribbon that attacks the color of the car.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:39   #42
Team-BHP Support

I took off the ribbon. No residue anywhere. 4 days of heavy rain and intermettant sunshine, and ribbon is like new. Looks like Dada motors uses good quality ribbons!
As for turbo, once the oil reaches turbo any additional idling will not be useful.
I guess to be on the safe side 1 minute of idling is enough.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

ok so did you try the 4X4 anywhere.i have use it some times when i go off the road into slushy places near river beds as well as the open mountains in Auli.the low ratio is simply amazing.the kind of pull you get.wow.its simply so powerful.

by the way maintain a good relation with your dealer.they do come in handy.i just got the complete suspension replaced under warranty just after 26000kms.it had given away.seems like my offroad adventures have taken its toll.but one thing is there.this car is worth all its troubles.

you need not get scared of troubles man.it will get you home safely no matter what fails.its a strong car.
Old 28th July 2008, 15:05   #44
BANNED

Once again Congrats Mods,

Few initial hiccups are good man.

I feel with these cars you need to adapt to certain kind of driving style, till then you feel a bit scary.

But as they say, once you've tamed the Beast, you are the King.

Happy motoring cheers:
Old 28th July 2008, 15:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Tanveer !! Nice color.

The steering punp hum is common to all Safari's I guess. Have a 3.0 here at office and it shows the same symptoms.

ps - Hear any scratching / gnashing sounds from under the gear lever / box? The 3.0 here has that from day 1.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks